• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump/Pelosi/Schumer Debt Ceiling Bill Passes

@jakesherman

TRUMP/PELOSI/SCHUMER BILL PASSES HOUSE -- 319-90

giphy.gif

All 90 votes were from Republicans.

More info:

The House cleared a package Friday to provide more than $15 billion in disaster aid for victims of Hurricane Harvey, raise the debt ceiling and fund the government for three months.

President Donald Trump is expected to swiftly sign the bill, which delivered on the fiscal deal he struck with Democrats earlier this week. The House passed the bill 316-90, a day after the Senate passed it, 80-17.

boiled goose

good with gravy
This is good.

But what about those saying that working with Trump would give him political capital to do horrible things?

Oh that only applies to certain politicians not centrist Democrats. I await the hypocrisy.

Viewt

Who would oppose this?

I'm assuming it's partially the Freedom Caucus. They would never vote to raise the debt ceiling (something that we don't even NEED - it's a made-up political construct) without significant cuts. i.e. If we're raising the ceiling by 500 billion dollars, we need to cut 500 billion from the budget.

Mortemis

Banned
This is good.

But what about those saying that working with Trump would give him political capital to do horrible things?

Oh that only applies to certain politicians not centrist Democrats. I await the hypocrisy.

What political capital does this give him?

He's probably so excited to have finally passed something he'll team up with the Dems now because they'll help him more than the GOP. lmao.

Why do republicans oppose this?

Because they wanted to push the debt ceiling talk to 18 months rather than 3, so they wouldn't have to deal with it before mid-terms. They now have no leverage power in negotiations for the debt ceiling and the Democrats can, hopefully, get some shit done (DACA, etc)

RDreamer

Republicans largely don't. The debt ceiling is used by both parties when they're in the minority as a tool to get something they want.

Unfortunately somewhere along the way Republicans pushed too hard and elected a bunch of nut jobs that weren't in on the game. The freedom caucus actually does oppose raising the debt ceiling because they're literal fucking crazy people. They want to cut spending instead, and threaten default to get that which is just nuts.

Ekai

This is good.

But what about those saying that working with Drumpf would give him political capital to do horrible things?

E'yup.

Personally I want to see the bill itself to see if anyone was compromised away. If not that's an improvment. And if not now, will have to be vigilant if it happens later.

Because they don't want the poor/the suffering to get help. Bootstraps and all of that. Plus Trump fucked them over hardcore by jumping to the Dems on this. There's more details in other threads but regardless, they're opposed because this ties their hands hardcore.

theWB27

Republicans never thought they'd have to work so hard with so much power. They have a ton of shit on their plate that only gets done if they get off their ass. Wow.

Blader

Who would oppose this?

Many conservatives oppose raising the debt ceiling without massive spending cuts in exchange because they don't understand what the debt ceiling is and don't believe anything happen would happen if we defaulted on the national debt.

This is good.

Huh? The only people who got political capital out of this deal were Democrats.

Gaardus

This bill means we'll have a debt ceiling debate again in December. Hardcore Republicans dislike raising the ceiling at all (under the rationale that the debt is irresponsibly high), and no one likes the threat of government shutdown. Since Republicans have the majority, they'll take the heat for either one, and having to repeat this process in December means it will be fresh(er) in voters' minds during the midterm elections. Republicans wanted to push things back all the way past the midterm elections.

kirblar

You can't "give up" anything when you're not in a power to demand it!

That's why this is so insane (from a strategic perspective) and the GOP is so pissed- he gave away leverage w/o getting anything but positive press in return.

Tobor

What political capital does this give him?

His base isn't Republicans. They are Trumpicans. They don't care who he works with or what he does, as long as he can tell them how awesome he is at rallies.

He's spinning this as a great deal, the best deal!

HylianTom

Banned

That's why this is so insane (from a strategic perspective) and the GOP is so pissed- he gave away leverage w/o getting anything but positive press in return.
I want Chuck, Nancy, and Trump to remember this wonderful press coverage when the next SCOTUS vacancy comes along.. 🙃

You know, I don't really care about political capital anymore. I'm proud that Democrats actually give a shit about policy and helping people, politics be damned.

By all means, we should obstruct the fuck out of Trump when he tries to do racist or immoral things, but we should strike deals where possible to help people. As long as suffering is reduced as a result, it's a good thing. Government shutdowns and political obstruction hurt people and should be avoided. The Republicans don't give a shit, they did it to Obama for 8 years just to win elections. But I'm proud to belong to a party that doesn't do that. It's frustrating at times for a political junkie like me, but a point of pride nonetheless.

Nipo

Because by only funding the government 90 days they have to re-do this before midterm elections and it will eat up more time they want to be working on other things like tax reform.

The problem is the debt ceiling is a "must do" item where everything else they want to work on is a "want to do" so this always will take precedence

Seriously, he gave them something and got nothing in return.

His handlers are livid.
If he's angling for 2020, this is exactly what he'll need to do more of. Get enough gullible independent voters to think he's an evenhanded bipartisan tactician rather than the blind bull in a china shop his dwindling 30% want him to be.

Now he emerges looking like roses - a sympathetic figure looking out to ensure relief for hurrricane victims and security for Dreamers - all the while forcing the Republican leadership to actually do some legislative work for once.

Or maybe the simple satisfaction of pissing on Ryan/McConnell is really as delicious as it sounds.

This should have been a homerun for EVERYONE in Congress – pass along relief aid for Houston (does this include Florida as well?) and kick the can for the debt ceiling down the road. It's a win for everyone. But the GOP trying to vote this down just looks terrible for them.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
His base isn't Republicans. They are Trumpicans. They don't care who he works with or what he does, as long as he can tell them how awesome he is at rallies.

Yeah and? What else is new? He will do that no matter what and his staunchest supporters will eat it up.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
If he's angling for 2020, this is exactly what he'll need to do more of. Get enough gullible independent voters to think he's an evenhanded bipartisan tactician rather than the blind bull in a china shop his dwindling 30% want him to be.

Now he emerges looking like roses - a sympathetic figure looking out to ensure relief for hurrricane victims and security for Dreamers - all the while forcing the Republican leadership to actually do some legislative work for once.

Or maybe the simple satisfaction of pissing on Ryan/McConnell is really as delicious as it sounds.

There is literally no chance this happens.

tuxfool

Banned

True enough. His base is composed of enlightened individuals such as this:
eHpJKVN.png

and that's all Trump cares about right now

Top Bottom