• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump/Pelosi/Schumer Debt Ceiling Bill Passes

Mortemis

Banned
His base isn't Republicans. They are Trumpicans. They don't care who he works with or what he does, as long as he can tell them how awesome he is at rallies.

He's spinning this as a great deal, the best deal!

Sure, but he spins everything as a win to his base. I'd be worried if his approval rating shot up because of this, but it won't and the democrats shouldn't just sit around and not take advantage because Trump spins shit.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
True enough. His base is composed of enlightened individuals such as this:
eHpJKVN.png

Wow, that Tweet. Like I don't even know how to process what it would it take to think like that.

kirblar

Actually, them being such crazy assholes gives Democrats bargaining power.
Yup. The GOP does not have a functioning majority in Congress. Trump's presidency is a crazy mashup of Nixon's ethics issues w/ Carter's issues being a president totally misaligned with his congressional leadership.

studyguy

Minority party being granted that much leverage without compromise is hilarious. Even if Trump wants to take home a win, it's all being attributed to the minority party democrats for having routed the GOP and Trump.

Pretty hilarious stuff.

ISOM

Already hear that from Joe Scarborough at least 3 times per show lol

People are dumb. Trump was willing to destroy Obamacare, but he passed a debt ceiling bill with Democrats though!!!!

And let's ignore the fact that he's a white supremacist and filled his administration with white supremacist. Like jeez..

Surfinn

Wow.

So Trump wasn't kidding when he said he'd eventually get something done

This is like the reverse of Kayne announcing to his fans he would have voted Trump

Sean C

Yup. The GOP does not have a functioning majority in Congress. Trump's presidency is a crazy mashup of Nixon's ethics issues w/ Carter's issues being a president totally misaligned with his congressional leadership.
And the added complication that the congressional leadership doesn't command its own members.

conpfreak

You can't "give up" anything when you're not in a power to demand it!

That's why this is so insane (from a strategic perspective) and the GOP is so pissed- he gave away leverage w/o getting anything but positive press in return.

From Trump's perspective, he's probably getting a lot more than just positive press. He's established a mutual beneficial relationship with top dems to get things done when Republicans wouldn't/couldn't. To be honest, Trump is rarely in line with the GOP, which is why they never get anything done together. They should keep working together and reach some compromise on healthcare, immigration, and other issues. I don't care if Trump takes credit for it, it needs to happen.

From Trump's perspective, he's probably getting a lot more than just positive press. He's established a mutual beneficial relationship with top dems to get things done when Republicans wouldn't/couldn't. To be honest, Trump is rarely in line with the GOP, which is why they never get anything done together. They should keep working together and reach some compromise on healthcare, immigration, and other issues. I don't care if Trump takes credit for it, it needs to happen.

Since I don't think it will help him or the GOP electorally, I'm all for it.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Since I don't think it will help him or the GOP electorally, I'm all for it.

Would Trump being a secret centrist liberal (aside from racism) be the thing that finally turns his base against him?

That would be funny. He would have burned his last bridge.

E'yup.

Personally I want to see the bill itself to see if anyone was compromised away. If not that's an improvment. And if not now, will have to be vigilant if it happens later.
All that was in the bill was raising the debt ceiling, a continuing resolution for three months and about $15bn in relief funding, along with some other token amendments.

https://www.congress.gov/amendment/115th-congress/senate-amendment/809/text

If you want to point out in McConnell's amendment where anything was "compromised away" be my guest.

silvon

Newbie question: if the GOP oppose the bill, why didn't they just vote it down since they have the majority?

FyreWulff

Personally I want to see the bill itself to see if anyone was compromised away. If not that's an improvment. And if not now, will have to be vigilant if it happens later.

This might be weird as a Dem voter, but nothing was compromised. Debt ceiling raised and Harvey funding. No weird shit.

sikkinixx

Newbie question: if the GOP oppose the bill, why didn't they just vote it down since they have the majority?

I think because it looks super shitty to vote down hurricane funding etc. If it didn't get brought up for a vote, that's one thing, but to actively kill it would be pretty negative PR wise.

Would Trump being a secret centrist liberal (aside from racism) be the thing that finally turns his base against him?

That would be funny. He would have burned his last bridge.

His base? I don't think they'll ever turn against him. But it'll no doubt cost him more votes from registered republicans than it would win him from independents and democrats.

Most republicans are currently afraid of trump-worshipping primary voters. As long as there's q chance they can use trump to cut taxes at some point, they'll not break with him.

Doing what is needed while driving a wedge between Trump and some number of congressional Republicans seems like a pretty good outcome.

Because some of those GOP members are from districts that need the FEMA funds. It's why concerned conservative Ted Cruz voted for it.

cdyhybrid

If he's angling for 2020, this is exactly what he'll need to do more of. Get enough gullible independent voters to think he's an evenhanded bipartisan tactician rather than the blind bull in a china shop his dwindling 30% want him to be.

Now he emerges looking like roses - a sympathetic figure looking out to ensure relief for hurrricane victims and security for Dreamers - all the while forcing the Republican leadership to actually do some legislative work for once.

Or maybe the simple satisfaction of pissing on Ryan/McConnell is really as delicious as it sounds.
I mean, he still killed DACA in the first place.

This doesn't make up for that at all.

This might be weird as a Dem voter, but nothing was compromised. Debt ceiling raised and Harvey funding. No weird shit.
I don't know. I don't trust that wily Schumer. He's got devil eyes.

original.jpg

just so we're clear I'm not being serious at all, I think Schumer's been doing a good job

Parshias7

I don't know. I don't trust that wily Schumer. He's got devil eyes.

original.jpg

just so we're clear I'm not being serious at all, I think Schumer's been doing a good job

I'd like to imagine that if this picture was a gif then Schumer's eyebrows would be popping up and down at an alarming speed.

Some of you guys are looking into this as a swift from Trump himself( not talking specifically to you). He is not doing this because he wants to be a decent "governor" he doing this because it is positive coverage for him and that is all he cares about. Democrats are happy with this because Trump is dumb enough to fall for this.

Democrats actual trying to find compromise in other issues is unlikely, especially after December when the Democrats loses leverage and things go back to how it was before. Trump has uncompromising positions that is a no good for them like restricting legal immigration and the wall. They aren't going to cave for that and Trump is not in a position to demand anything because he just gave leverage to the Democrats. They know this relationship might not last so they are trying to get what they can get.

People shouldn't be easily fooled just because Trump did something good while having basically the wrong reason to do them.

pigeon

Banned

It shouldn't be weird unless you just don't really pay attention to Congress or legislation. This is how must-pass bills have been working since at least 2012 -- GOP has majorities but can't actually pass anything, so when it comes to a bill that has to pass to keep the government functioning, the Democrats provide the majority of the votes and control the bill. There's no reason to expect any sort of compromise.

Top Bottom