• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump review leans toward proposing mini-nuke

The Trump administration is considering proposing smaller, more tactical nuclear weapons that would cause less damage than traditional thermonuclear bombs — a move that would give military commanders more options but could also make the use of atomic arms more likely.

A high-level panel created by President Donald Trump to evaluate the nuclear arsenal is reviewing various options for adding a more modern "low-yield" bomb, according to sources involved in the review, to further deter Russia, North Korea or other potential nuclear adversaries.

The idea of introducing a smaller-scale warhead to serve a more limited purpose than an all-out nuclear Armageddon is not new — and the U.S. government still retains some Cold War-era weapons that fit the category, including several that that can be "dialed down" to a smaller blast.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/09/trump-reviews-mini-nuke-242513

Fatman me if old.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
something something emails whatever

is there any criteria by which Trump is not the worst president in modern memory?

trump_small_hands.jpg

GetLucky

I mean, the military is constantly researching and developing new weaponry. It's not good, but it is what it is.

Nokterian

This whole administration needs to stop right now, getting in territory that threatens the world..fucking terrifying reading this shit.

Xando

So basically the nukes they wanted to use to nuke germany with in the cold war incase soviets invaded?

UberTag

"Why won't you let me fire a nuke? We just have them stockpiled for no reason? It would be tremendous."
"No sir, I'm afraid we can't."
"Awww... it's not fair."

<pouts>

"What if we made them smaller? Smaller than my ginormous hands? Would you let me fire one then?"
"...."
"Also, I want you to name them after me."

Empty

he really wants to drop a nuke doesn't he

this bomb we dropped is one of the biggest ever. it's HUGE. it's nuclear. cowardly obama said no, i said YES.

kmax

How about no strikes - no war - no death and destruction?

I'm pretty sure no one wants that, so why even entertain the idea. Stop talking nukes and start leading by example.

Xando

What does this accomplish? You still nuked somebody and if you don't want massive destruction you could use other bombs.

The line of thinking used during the cold war was they'd use tactical nukes to stop soviet tank divisions before they can reach the rhine. US generals were hoping a "small" tactical nuke wouldn't instantly trigger apocalypse

It'll be a mini nuke designed with MOAB purposes. I think they're trying to account for the honeycomb mountains that are in North Korea and how to possibly destroy them with minimal amount of fallout.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
This isn't really new. They have to upgrade the nuke arsenal because its aging. It's unsafe to keep it all in the old tech for so long so they have to update the infrastructure etc

That's what I heard on some NPR thing last year I think

Top Bottom