• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump says he won’t close the country if second wave of coronavirus hits

Athena~

Formerly 'Athena Pallas'
Nov 14, 2018

We’re so fucked!! Only the election can save us now.

hopefully the second wave doesn’t hit until at least after November or this is really the end....

Last edited:

Whataborman

Apr 19, 2018
I don't disagree with him.

We could be dealing with COVID-19 for a long time, likely until a vaccine is found or we reach herd immunity. Are we supposed to shut everything down every single time the number of cases spikes? Our economy can't withstand that and we don't take similar steps with the flu, etc...

Social distancing and work/school/etc... from home protocols are fine but shutting things down over and over again isn't the answer.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
More like a 2nd wave of paywalls amrite.

The whole wave thing is BS anyways. This isn't the spanish flu its not going to behave the same way. There is no "waves", there is just the virus and until herd immunity or vaccine (which is essentially the same thing) the world will deal with this virus.

Now as long as there aren't idiot governors sending the elderly to spread the virus into old age homes that cuts down 40%+ or more of the deaths. That should limit a so called "2nd wave".

This doesn't mean the virus is gone, actually the opposite. Its here and probably here to stay. It also has a death rate of probably around .05 or less for healthy people under the age of 65.

Social distancing, masks, don't send the virus into old age homes, I don't think another wave will be as bad. We know so much more about it now then we did before.

Batiman

Danger: male feminist
Feb 11, 2020
Ya I don’t think it’ll be possible. Just hopefully every country is more prepared next time.

Reactions: Shaqazooloo

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
I had a friend of mine yesterday tell me she thinks we should stay closed completely until a vaccine comes out. She says the government has a responsibility to pay us for however long that is. I told her they’ve been trying to get a vaccine for SARS for 15 years and she said yeah so.

I didn’t even bother any more.

Sterling88

Sep 19, 2019
I had a friend of mine yesterday tell me she thinks we should stay closed completely until a vaccine comes out. She says the government has a responsibility to pay us for however long that is. I told her they’ve been trying to get a vaccine for SARS for 15 years and she said yeah so.

I didn’t even bother any more.
People just want an excuse to sit on their asses and collect those NEETbux.

Plague Doctor

Mar 23, 2015
Opening up: "He is literally killing us in the streets!" (Which, btw, is my all time favorite hypobolic drivel coming from the unhinged left... or really any party. If I hear or see that unironically said, I snicker. From a comedy standpoint, I can't get enough of it. It's solid, 24 Karat Gold of political bullshit.)

Economic Hardcore Downturn for not opening up soon enough: "He is literally killing the economy for the poor and middle class!"

Dat strategy! They are so, so, so slick. See what they are doing there? Genius, amirite? No one will suspect anything. People won't notice the narrative switch when it comes.

Last edited:

Sacred

Aug 22, 2018
May 22, 2018
What a stupid thing to say even for Trump. He has no clue how bad things could possibly get so why even pretend to promise such a thing?

Reactions: Athena~

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
What a stupid thing to say even for Trump. He has no clue how bad things could possibly get so why even pretend to promise such a thing?
They didn't even get bad this time. A plurality of the deaths were caused by Cuomo and other people of subhuman intelligence forcing nursing homes to take sick patients. If you take those into account, this really is just the flu for most people. And hospitals were never taxed. The lockdown was never meant to stop the spread completely - it was meant to flatten the curve.

Davey Cakes

Dec 5, 2008
Quincy, Massachusetts
Shutting down the country doesn't sound like a proper solution. The second wave would have to be REALLY bad. There would have to be a mutation that increased the contagion tenfold.

I think we just have to be prepared. Have the supplies. Have the protocols in place. Now that people have already been through one wave, they at least know how to respond. It felt like whiplash the first time since we're so accustomed to certain aspects of society but the second time should be easier handle with the knowledge and discipline we've gained in a short amount of time.

May 22, 2018
They didn't even get bad this time. A plurality of the deaths were caused by Cuomo and other people of subhuman intelligence forcing nursing homes to take sick patients. If you take those into account, this really is just the flu for most people. And hospitals were never taxed. The lockdown was never meant to stop the spread completely - it was meant to flatten the curve.
What happened in New York could happen in any major city in the US if restrictions are loosened too quickly. And of we start seeing those numbers again then they will have no choice but to shut down again regardless of what Trump says.

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
What happened in New York could happen in any major city in the US if restrictions are loosened too quickly. And of we start seeing those numbers again then they will have no choice but to shut down again regardless of what Trump says.
A good chunk of what happened in New York happened because Cuomo specifically ordered infected people to be sent to nursing homes.

The rest of the country does not have to shut down either - Cuomo raising hell over the idea of quarantining New York cost the rest of the country lives and hundreds of billions of dollars.

May 22, 2018
A good chunk of what happened in New York happened because Cuomo specifically ordered infected people to be sent to nursing homes.

The rest of the country does not have to shut down either - Cuomo raising hell over the idea of quarantining New York cost the rest of the country lives and hundreds of billions of dollars.
I'm not sure what news you have been watching, but the country was shut down long before thing in New York got really bad. And it will shut down again if we see similar numbers again in other cities. I know you don't like it and you don't agree with it, but it's what happens when you have a pandemic.

You don't just plug your ears and hope the virus goes away on its own.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Second wave is all predictive programming by the warfare on the left. It’ll be a “second wave” alright, just around time for election. Political weaponry.

Reactions: Sign

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
Yeah because a quarantine during a deadly pandemic is exactly the same as slavery.

lol
Costing hundreds of millions their livelihoods to save roughly 50,000 people is insane. I think the lockdown was necessary early on when there was minimal info on the virus (thanks China) but now the country needs to start up again. We work through flu season every year - we can take care of our elderly, lose some weight, and work through this.

I'm not sure what news you have been watching, but the country was shut down long before thing in New York got really bad. And it will shut down again if we see similar numbers again in other cities. I know you don't like it and you don't agree with it, but it's what happens when you have a pandemic.
Again, it got really bad because Cuomo sent infected patients to nursing homes. Those make up like 30-40% of deaths, which is astronomical considering that somewhere around 3-5% of the US are in those kinds of facilities.

You don't just plug your ears and hope the virus goes away on its own.
No expert expects the virus to go away totally until herd immunity is established - the idea of flattening the curve is based on it not going away. You just minimize how many people have it at any time to keep hospitals from being taxed.

Mass Shift

Jun 12, 2019

We’re so fucked!! Only the election can save us now.

hopefully the second wave doesn’t hit until at least after November or this is really the end....
Honestly, if the second wave is a bad as being predicted, we probably won't be able to stop it with another lockdown.

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
his house must be a shit hole
Great contributions so far. You are really lifting the discource oin these threads.
How long is your ban on resetera? Will you still be here on monday?

Please dial down the TDS a bit and try to make some meaningful contributions to the discussions.
Or get yourself banned. Your choice.

EDIT: called it. Again.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
What about people working in the high risk industries? Are they not important? Lockdown is the only solution, due to selfish af Trump and his supporters refusing to wear masks
Oh yeah, only Trump and his supporters refusing to, eh?

Not any liberals or Demoncrats? Right. I see them all the time wearing them around the neck and not mouth like it's decorative. All for show.

The polarization of politics breeds stupidity.

Hulk_Smash

Jan 8, 2014
Good! All this “Sky is falling” bullshit needs to stop. You cannot stop a virus. The whole reason for the shutdown was to keep the hospitals from being overwhelmed. We did that. It happened. It happened about 2 weeks into the shutdown.

it’s time to stop this bullshit shutdown and go back to a normal life.

The fact that you brought up the election as the only thing that can save us shows me this is now a political litmus test with no concern for anything having to do with health.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Has there been a single apocalyptic prediction that has actually panned out in this whole pandemic?
The apocalyptic stupidity of humans, yes.

The fact that you brought up the election as the only thing that can save us shows me this is now a political litmus test with no concern for anything having to do with health.
It never has to the Demoncrats running their ogliarch societies.

Last edited:
Reactions: -Arcadia-

Patriots7

Jul 15, 2008
Did he close the country the first time?

Unfortunately, many people are going to die unnecessarily.

The economy will stutter as consumer demand will remain depressed due to the virus. Reporting unattractive economic figures compounded by an increasing death toll at the hands of federal government ineptitude will certainly be a great environment to parrot "Keep America Great"

• Thoughtful
Reactions: All Hail C-Webb

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
I envy Americans for having Trump leading you through this CCP bullshit. North of the border Prime Minister Blackface and everyone in government keeps treating us like misbehaving toddlers, repeatedly telling us that if we don't follow the guidelines they'll close everything down again. I'm sure I needed to be reminded to wear a mask and keep my distance from everyone else for the 9,000th time this week because that wasn't already drilled into my head by everyone everywhere.

Trump's basically telling you the same thing Fauci did, they just use very different language. Everyone will be much better prepared to handle this months down the road. This virus had the element of surprise in its corner and that's now gone. The tragedy that happened in nursing homes won't happen again, at least not at this scale, not if they take the necessary precautions.

Riven326

Would place his sister in the spank bank.
Mar 25, 2019
United States
I envy Americans for having Trump leading you through this CCP bullshit. North of the border Prime Minister Blackface and everyone in government keeps treating us like misbehaving toddlers, repeatedly telling us that if we don't follow the guidelines they'll close everything down again. I'm sure I needed to be reminded to wear a mask and keep my distance from everyone else for the 9,000th time this week because that wasn't already drilled into my head by everyone everywhere.

Trump's basically telling you the same thing Fauci did, they just use very different language. Everyone will be much better prepared to handle this months down the road. This virus had the element of surprise in its corner and that's now gone. The tragedy that happened in nursing homes won't happen again, at least not at this scale, not if they take the necessary precautions.
Is he still visiting gender segregated mosques to preach to Canadians about the benefits of diversity?

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
Did he close the country the first time?

Unfortunately, many people are going to die unnecessarily.
I dunno, Sweden seems to be doing alright. And Japan as well.

What could be the cause? A population that eats healthy food and isn't morbidly obese? Also practices good hygiene?

Imagine shutting down a restaurant every time someone has a heart attack?

Last edited:

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
I dunno, Sweden seems to be doing alright. And Japan as well.

What could be the cause? A population that eats healthy food and isn't morbidly obese? Also practices good hygiene?

Imagine shutting down a restaurant every time someone has a heart attack?
They also likely have governments who are not retarded enough to send patients with a disease known to mostly kill the elderly to nursing homes.