• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump says he won’t close the country if second wave of coronavirus hits

Piku_Ringo

Jan 24, 2015
I envy Americans for having Trump leading you through this CCP bullshit. North of the border Prime Minister Blackface and everyone in government keeps treating us like misbehaving toddlers, repeatedly telling us that if we don't follow the guidelines they'll close everything down again. I'm sure I needed to be reminded to wear a mask and keep my distance from everyone else for the 9,000th time this week because that wasn't already drilled into my head by everyone everywhere.

Trump's basically telling you the same thing Fauci did, they just use very different language. Everyone will be much better prepared to handle this months down the road. This virus had the element of surprise in its corner and that's now gone. The tragedy that happened in nursing homes won't happen again, at least not at this scale, not if they take the necessary precautions.
Why did you guys vote for Castro's illegitimate Son to get another term again?

• Thoughtful
Reactions: matt404au

Plague Doctor

Mar 23, 2015
Flattening the curve always meant taking the sensible amount of time to making sure every condition is cured for everyone everywhere with 100% success.

Where are you getting this "prevent the over run of the hospitals until they could handle a pandemic," nonsense? Who even said that? Conspiracy quacks?

Last edited:

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
Flattening the curve always meant taking the sensible amount of time to making sure every condition is cured for everyone everywhere with 100% success.

Where are you getting this "prevent the over run of the hospitals until they could handle a pandemic," nonsense? Who even said that? Conspiracy quacks?
I bet those same people think we've been at war with Eurasia before. Nutjobs, I tell you.

SpartanN92

Gold Member
Sep 7, 2012
Kentucky, it’s not as bad as Australia
Yeah because a quarantine during a deadly pandemic is exactly the same as slavery.

lol
Ruining people’s income, businesses and livelihoods is absolutely a form of slavery.
You liberal bums might enjoy staying at home watching Netflix but the rest of us have families to feed and mortgages to pay.

Super Mario

Mario Mario
Nov 12, 2016
Would someone think of the nursing homes?! If we don't get small businesses to close forever, and people laid off of their jobs, all people in nursing homes will die. People in nursing homes never die. Thanks a lot Trump!

MrMephistoX

May 18, 2007
Tbh masks should be mandatory until a vaccine happens then I’m okay with not doing a complete shut down. Just shut down hot spots in a targeted way but don’t lift the mask requirements.

Reactions: cryptoadam

Hulk_Smash

Jan 8, 2014
Tbh masks should be mandatory until a vaccine happens then I’m okay with not doing a complete shut down. Just shut down hot spots in a targeted way but don’t lift the mask requirements.
Like I said in the thread about masks, by the time I put one on, there will be plenty of dead bodies around me to loot them from.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Cato

dionysus

Yaldog
May 12, 2007
Texaa
I'm not sure what news you have been watching, but the country was shut down long before thing in New York got really bad. And it will shut down again if we see similar numbers again in other cities. I know you don't like it and you don't agree with it, but it's what happens when you have a pandemic.

You don't just plug your ears and hope the virus goes away on its own.
Its actually not. There is no precedent for telling healthy people not to work. Plenty of precedent for travel reatrictions, but we did the opposite of that.

X-Fighter

Jan 10, 2020
He can say this now, but we all know that once a second wave really arrives he'll shutdown the country again

Aug 21, 2018
I dunno, Sweden seems to be doing alright. And Japan as well.

What could be the cause? A population that eats healthy food and isn't morbidly obese? Also practices good hygiene?

Imagine shutting down a restaurant every time someone has a heart attack?
Well, in Japan, nearly everyone wear masks and they are not asshole typew like american that go to another state/county just to eat.

Reactions: haxan7

womfalcs3

May 11, 2007

We’re so fucked!! Only the election can save us now.

hopefully the second wave doesn’t hit until at least after November or this is really the end....
The CDC is saying the second wave could be even more deadly as the one in Spring 2020. But Trump is a fool, so it's no surprise that he goes against doctors.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nobody_Important

MisterFalcon

Mar 12, 2013
Once the death toll reaches a number that everyone knows someone who died the lockdown will be there as people simply stay home or only go out with masks on regardless of what Trump says.

It's not certain this will happen, both this virus and human reaction to an unprecentented situation prove very hard to predict but it would be a tragedy if several hundred thousand people need to die just to own the libs who want a lockdown.

womfalcs3

May 11, 2007

Does this man's petulance know no bounds? He's not wearing a mask just out of spite.

He's like a 10-year kid.

Reactions: Nobody_Important

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach

Does this man's petulance know no bounds? He's not wearing a mask just out of spite.

He's like a 10-year kid.
Masks do not protect you from the virus.
Masks protects others from the virus if you have it.
Trump and everyone else in the whitehouse is tested every single day.

Why should someone that is tested and does not carry the virus wear a mask?
Because TDS?

womfalcs3

May 11, 2007
Masks do not protect you from the virus.
Masks protects others from the virus if you have it.
Trump and everyone else in the whitehouse is tested every single day.

Why should someone that is tested and does not carry the virus wear a mask?
Because TDS?
It's for appearance. Where you're trying to show the general population that it's necessary.

His impressionable supporters blindly copy anything he does.

Last edited:
Reactions: All Hail C-Webb

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
It's for appearance. Where you're trying to show the general population that it's necessary.

His impressionable supporters blindly copy anything he does.
So you admit it is only for show and has no meaningful medical function.
If so, blame CNN and others that showed it. They could have just added an instagram mask filter to the video before they aired it.

You just have TDS. Go away.,
No one where I live wears any masks. Not even in the grocery store. Because it is pointless here. Are we deplorables?
Maybe he went to one of those places where no one wears masks because you don't need to?
Go away.

Last edited:
Reactions: rockbottom12

womfalcs3

May 11, 2007
If so, blame CNN and others that showed it. They could have just added an instagram mask filter to the video before they aired it.

No one where I live wears any masks. Not even in the grocery store. Because it is pointless here. Are we deplorables?
Maybe he went to one of those places where no one wears masks because you don't need to?
Go away.
So you're blatantly asking the mainstream media to show fake news? Got it.

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
So you're blatantly asking the mainstream media to show fake news? Got it.
Fake news.

Lets see, you have already agreed that there was no medical reason for him to wear a mask, but he should wear one anyway
in front of the cameras in order to influence the viewers to wear a mask.

That sounds a lot like deliberately designing photo-shoots in order to manipulate the behaviors of the people consuming the media.
Not that CNN is a stranger to manipulate photage to drive a narrative, but wouldn't that actually be a much greater example of fake news?
You want the media and politiicians to manipulate the news to influence the audience to act and think in a certain way?
(because you are angry that they did not)
Far leftist authoritarian confirmed!

Last edited:
Reactions: rockbottom12

SpartanN92

Gold Member
Sep 7, 2012
The CDC is saying the second wave could be even more deadly as the one in Spring 2020. But Trump is a fool, so it's no surprise that he goes against doctors.

The CDC can’t make up their minds about jack shit. Every model/prediction they have made has been wrong. Just yesterday after months of shrieking that every surface is contaminated they are now saying it’s unlikely to spread that way. They have bungled this whole thing from the beginning.

Why do you put so much faith in the CDC?
It’s a rhetorical question. The truth is you WANT a second wave that is way more deadly than the first so that Trump loses in November. Just be honest about what you really want. You want a few hundred thousand people to die just for political reasons

Last edited:

The Pleasure

Jan 8, 2019
The CDC can’t make up their minds about jack shit. Every model/prediction they have made has been wrong. Just yesterday after months of shrieking that every surface is contaminated they are now saying it’s unlikely to spread that way. They have bungled this whole thing from the beginning.

Why do you put so much faith in the CDC?
It’s a rhetorical question. The truth is you WANT a second wave that is way more deadly than the first so that Trump loses in November. Just be honest about what you really want. You want a few hundred thousand people to die just for political reasons
I say take all precautions and make sure that you don't get your ass rolled in that second wave. I wear a mask and face shield because I have older family that I can't afford to infect. I wash my hands when I come back home every time now.

I don't think anyone wants a second wave but I do know that all precautions should be taken especially with how it is spreading quickly along with the asymptomatic people.

Reactions: All Hail C-Webb

SpartanN92

Gold Member
Sep 7, 2012
I say take all precautions and make sure that you don't get your ass rolled in that second wave. I wear a mask and face shield because I have older family that I can't afford to infect. I wash my hands when I come back home every time now.

I don't think anyone wants a second wave but I do know that all precautions should be taken especially with how it is spreading quickly along with the asymptomatic people.
I’m not saying to not take precautions. I have elderly family and I have a young daughter. I wear my mask in public and wash my hands diligently.
What I am saying is that womfalcs3 womfalcs3 is a cunt who does want a deadly second wave so that the Orange Man doesn’t win again.

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
They also likely have governments who are not retarded enough to send patients with a disease known to mostly kill the elderly to nursing homes.
You should see here in Australia. We have our fair amount of retard here too.

It is a complete clownshow between the states with big populations and also a lot of infections versus the states with a very rural and small population that has few infections. The latters have closed the borders and this hurts the tourism industry in former bigger states.
And the premiers(governors in us speak?) are all slugging wildly because the bigger states are demanding that the smaller states re-open their borders but the smaller states refuse.

It is completely amazing how things have changed in about a week. Up until a week ago it was still all "every single life must be saved and the virus must be completely eliminated, no matter the cost to the economy", and now it is like the universe where spock has a beard "open the borders or the economy will tank, it is unreasonable to expect we can prevent old people from dying".

Amazing! Better than netflix.

Last edited:

PuppetMaster

Jun 12, 2007
As someone who has been going to work every single day. I have to say, its not that bad out here outside your homes guys!

I still don't personally know a single person who has gotten sick. Definitely none who have died.

My work is in the middle of Tokyo. And I guess we have been lucky. But seriously, considering the number of people I know, and how big this city is. And that I commute on the train every day. Still not a single person I personally know have fallen ill yet.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019

We’re so fucked!! Only the election can save us now.

hopefully the second wave doesn’t hit until at least after November or this is really the end....
What’s gonna happen after the election? You think Biden is gonna win? Dude, I pay for all your mobile electronic devices for now on if Biden wins

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
Good news. Closing the entire country was the worst move we've made so far. You can't 1-size-fits-all this pandemic. Go ahead and lockdown most border travel until you can adequately test/quarantine people entering the country, and lockdown any highly-concentrated area where the virus can spread like wildfire. The rest of the US though? Keep on working, we can test and trace well enough now for those areas.

Like where I live now, we're talking ~15k people spread over ~300k square miles. Social distancing is the norm. We locked down back at the beginning for no reason at all and now that the virus is starting to finally get a foothold here we should be *starting* our lockdown instead of ending it. Talk about ass backwards.

That's why you can't expect the federal government to fix this. You have to go down to the local and state levels to get the granularity you need to come up with the right answer for each locality. Let the feds focus on the borders, national PPE supplies, and getting the CDC what it needs to get testing up to speed, the states can and should do the rest.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eiknarf

ChuckeRearmed

Jan 31, 2018
The current lockdown has likely led to the death of small restaurant business already.
Also probably to some barber's shops - some increased prices already - but even I have learnt how to do it myself so I don't need to go there anymore. And I believe a lot of people did that too.

Anyway current pandemic is a certain form of globar war. Fascinating.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whataborman

chitzy

Banned
Mar 8, 2020
Gonna be hilarious when Trump wins with 100% of the vote because all the liberal media fearmongering over this joke of a virus has all the Democrats too scared to leave their homes on election day.

• LOL
Reactions: Whataborman

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Jun 6, 2004
New York

What could be the cause? A population that eats healthy food and isn't morbidly obese? Also practices good hygiene?

Sweden received terrible news today. Their chief epidemiologist expected that they were at around 25% with antibodies at the end of April, and testing came back at less than 8% in Stockholm of all places. The basis of sticking with his strategy was that the deaths would come quicker because the virus is quickly spreading through society, but eventually other countries would catch up. Deaths have certainly come quick in Sweden, but they barely have higher antibody levels than their neighbors.

Go away.
1. Him not wearing a mask is the only thing that's for show.
2. Yes.
3. He didn't. He went to a state where it's required indoors, and he went to a business that required a mask of all people who enter. Testing is not 100%, and that sure sounds like a lot of testing for someone who says it's not important to test..

Last edited:

dilbag

Apr 29, 2019
I had a friend of mine yesterday tell me she thinks we should stay closed completely until a vaccine comes out. She says the government has a responsibility to pay us for however long that is. I told her they’ve been trying to get a vaccine for SARS for 15 years and she said yeah so.

I didn’t even bother any more.
its funny how they always think the government or the rich have an endless supply of funds

Reactions: HeresJohnny

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019
Right now the Democrats are responsible for our economy. Not trump. Not the virus

The asshole Dems want you to depend on them, so of course they want to keep shit closed

If you disagree with me, YOU ARE WRONG
Oh wait! Nobody_Important Nobody_Important laughed at this? Why? What’s wrong with anything I’ve written there?

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019
The "laugh" came from the final sentence. "If you disagree with me then YOU ARE WRONG" lol
Because I don’t come in here to write things that are wrong. Why would I do that?
“Lemme make shit up and post something wrong”

I wrote what I wrote because it’s not up for debate. “The sky is blue. We breath oxygen. Right now the Democrats are responsible for our economy. Not trump. Not the virus. Dems want you to depend on them.”

What part of that statement is wrong?

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
.88% vs 6.6%.

Pretty shocking to see it laid out like that.

Lets consider that the group on the right does the opposite of everything Trump says and fights him every step of the way and literally fired the guy 1 month before this whole thing happened.

But I am sure that it will be blamed on demographics or urban "density" and not on the leaders of those states.

And ironic that all you see everywhere is that if you are in a red state you will die and its the worst place to be and you might as well kill yourself now, while blue states are safe havens from the corona chan. I bet in a year we will see an inverse as far as the economy goes, with Red states doing better while Blue states are still in the trash.

Patriots7

Jul 15, 2008

What? Sweden and Japan? Two countries with universal healthcare systems compared to the United States? Should we adopt Sweden's healthcare system and government social nets?

Sweden is not "doing alright." Their COVID-19 death toll per capita is almost twice as much as the United States and more than their Nordic neighbors who implemented some form of a lockdown.

Heart attacks? No. Restaurants do shut down, however, for food poisoning outbreaks or other contaminants. How did you think that analogy even made a lick of sense?

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
Sweden is not "doing alright." Their COVID-19 death toll per capita is almost twice as much as the United States and more than their Nordic neighbors who implemented some form of a lockdown.
Because their deaths are front loaded instead of spread out over likely 6 months like ours will be. As long as their hospitals are not overloaded they are in the exact same boat as the rest of the world.

Lockdowns were never about ending the virus, just flattening the curve until hard immunity is reached. To say otherwise is revisionist.

Last edited: