• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump says US will impose 5% tariff on all Mexican imports from June 10

MrTickles

Feb 22, 2018
Mexico is no China, it can't handle the economic pressure. I expect it to bend the knee.

Last edited:

llien

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2017
Sure thing. A lot of investment flowing into Mexico is due to it being next to US, while being cheaper AND not being taxed.

pramod

Oct 24, 2017
I am still in awe. He accomplished in 1 week what 5 previous presidents couldn't do for 3 decades.

Alebrije

Feb 25, 2010
Is a great deal for both sides, México is not China and can not support a trade war vs U.S. But U.S. and Mexico have to put pressure on Guatemala, Honduras and EL Salvador because while we were in negotiations this week the presidents of those countries were radio silent. Te main problem is corruption :

Honduras is a corrruption factory.
Guatemal its becoming more corrupted every day
EL Salvador also a traditional corrupted cluster has now a new president that wants to figh corruption using Tweeter.

This note is great if you care to read about the topic.

this part shows basically what happens with the money U.S. and another countries send to creates social programs in those countries :

HONDURAS : In the anticorruption commission’s first case in December, prosecutors accused five former legislators of pocketing money from a special development fund that deputies can tap to spend in their districts. Within weeks, Congress voted to halt any criminal investigation into that fund going all the way back to 2006, and a judge dropped the case.

So if U.S. will send money again ( is part of the new deal ) hope they find a way to track it and be sure is used to help te people and not stolen by presindents, or the the goverment in general.

Reactions: pramod

Riven326

Mar 25, 2019
United States
It's been an interesting gamble so far. I think any honest person would admit that Mexico has shown they are willing to do a bit more.
I think Mexico is more willing than they were before because they know Trump is serious about it. It's certainly a win for him and something he can use when campaigning. I'm just going to wait and see if Mexico holds up their end of the bargain.

Reactions: TheLaughingStock

Riven326

Mar 25, 2019
United States
I am still in awe. He accomplished in 1 week what 5 previous presidents couldn't do for 3 decades.
That's because for three decades we had presidents that didn't give a shit. Securing the border was just talk. It's always been popular among the American people. But Trump is the first president to turn his words into action and he seems to be relentless on this front.

Super Mario

Nov 12, 2016
Another massive win for the US

Meanwhile, a certain other political party will do everything in their power to ignore, distract, and obstruct this true progress.

Reactions: Oner and pramod

Riven326

Mar 25, 2019
United States
Another massive win for the US

Meanwhile, a certain other political party will do everything in their power to ignore, distract, and obstruct this true progress.
What we have right now is basically a one party system. The democrats are completely incapacitated. They have nothing going for them. They're not proposing anything outside of orange man bad and open borders. This is not a political platform.

Pelosi is the person running around trying to plug all the holes in the ship. Most of them caused by AOC and Omar. The party is in complete disarray. How are they going to beat Trump in 2020? What happens to the party if Trump wins?

Nov 23, 2010
It's no surprise people scared of direct conflict have forgotten how to negotiate.
I don't know about all that.

If people were so scared of direct conflict, then the Middle East wouldn't be such a disaster. I think the problem is a lot of people like the status quo in terms of immigration. Or they don't want to risk shaking things up, but that's what put Pres. Trump in the White House.

His willingness to take risks, think outside the box, and disrupt how things are. He's relentless no matter what polls and pundits say. The results speak for themselves. It's working pretty well for him virtually every time folks count him out.

Last edited:

pramod

Oct 24, 2017
As expected the left (including those reseters) are unable to comprehend how huge of a win this is for Trump and what a huge blow it is for the open-borders, unlimited immigration globalists. Even the media is downplaying it as expected. But it doesn't really matter though. The consequences of this victory is bigger than Trump, it's going to directly affect the future demographics of this country.

merlinevo

Apr 28, 2019
As expected the left (including those reseters) are unable to comprehend how huge of a win this is for Trump and what a huge blow it is for the open-borders, unlimited immigration globalists. Even the media is downplaying it as expected. But it doesn't really matter though. The consequences of this victory is bigger than Trump, it's going to directly affect the future demographics of this country.
Trump's second term is all but locked with this win. If he can slap mexico around, he can slap any democrat on the debate floor and they can't do a thing.

Last edited:

Madonis

Oct 21, 2018
This reminds me of the North Korea "deal" that was also hailed as an unprecedented Trump victory.

What should matter, objectively, are the final and actual results. Not just the announcement of a deal.

Then again, I know this doesn't matter to Trump voters. It's the perception, not the reality, that matters.

Furthermore, it's come to light that Mexico and the U.S. had already discussed and agreed to most of these measures. They are not "new" developments. Mexico has still outright refused the only really "new" element that had been brought up in recent weeks. All of the rest was either in place or in motion before the tariff posturing. In other words, Trump didn't need to do anything to get essentially the same "deal".

Last edited:

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
I don't know about all that.

If people were so scared of direct conflict, then the Middle East wouldn't be such a disaster. I think the problem is a lot of people like the status quo in terms of immigration. Or they don't want to risk shaking things up, but that's what put Pres. Trump in the White House.

His willingness to take risks, think outside the box, and disrupt how things are. He's relentless no matter what polls and pundits say. The results speak for themselves. It's working pretty well for him virtually every time folks count him out.
I wasn't speaking about physical conflict. I mean, the energy required for peaceful negotiation. The willingness to stick to your guns. The willingness to put forth an ultimatum that you know will hurt you, but will hurt the other guy worse, and the persona that tells your opponent you will stick to your guns. I'm talking about the ability to ask for a raise... and more to the point, the ability to demand a raise, state your case, and walk if they don't cave.

Many people today are scared of that conflict. Scared to ask for what they want. Scared to accept they might not get it. Scared to follow through. Unable to recognize leverage, and scared to use it.

The final stage of a failed negotiation is certainly physical conflict, be it a fist fight or a war. And that scares a lot of people, so they back off early, they don't want to get even close to that point. And that leaves a lot of room for a strong negotiator to operate. Trump is a solid negotiator, and it scares the fuck out of most people because they haven't seen this type of negotiation [edit to add: in the West] on the world stage in decades. So they think he's stupid, or wild, or irresponsible. And he loves that, because being considered those things gives him a huge advantage in negotiations.

Last edited:

pramod

Oct 24, 2017
This reminds me of the North Korea "deal" that was also hailed as an unprecedented Trump victory.

What should matter, objectively, are the final and actual results. Not just the announcement of a deal.

Then again, I know this doesn't matter to Trump voters. It's the perception, not the reality, that matters.

Furthermore, it's come to light that Mexico and the U.S. had already discussed and agreed to most of these measures. They are not "new" developments. Mexico has still outright refused the only really "new" element that had been brought up in recent weeks. All of the rest was either in place or in motion before the tariff posturing. In other words, Trump didn't need to do anything to get essentially the same "deal".
You know what? No one really cares. I don't care if Trump made it happen or the fairy god mother made it happen. All that matters is that we are finally ending catch and release and the asylum crisis. I think you people still dont understand Trump supporters. He has our support because he is trying to tackle the greatest political quagmire which is immigration.

Last edited:
Reactions: Burnttips

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
TDS at its finest.

Mexico caved so fast but people want to act like if Trump didn't threaten tariffs this would of happened anyways.

Now just let this man build his Wall.

pramod

Oct 24, 2017
Unbelievable. So Pelosi is actually criticizing Trump now for this policy. So she is saying she prefers those hundreds of thousands of asylum seekers to be housed and fed on our tax payer's expense instead of Mexico's.

So it has to be pretty obvious now where the Democrat's priorities are when it comes to illegals....laws and money be damned, we need those future voters!!!

Last edited:

ssolitare

Manbaby: The Member
Jan 12, 2009
Surprise, surprise. Trump definitely has mastered PR for his base. Then the whole story is revealed, but it doesn't matter.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Surprise, surprise. Trump definitely has matters PR that's for sure. Then the whole story is revealed.

Uh, I guess this is the most pressing question that comes to mind:

Did Mexico deliver on border actions months before Trump announced tariff deal?

We all know that Trump has made threats and demands several times before. We also know that Mexico agreed to take action several times before. We also know that Mexico did not take enough action several times before.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-07-09/security-on-mexican-borders-to-get-new-force-but-not-from-trump

So, it's really no story that Mexico was making these promises already. Clearly the tariffs worked because they didn't back out (yet) like they usually do.

Years ago, Harvard Business Review mentioned that "a wall won't work, but economic policy will":

Last edited:

merlinevo

Apr 28, 2019
Surprise, surprise. Trump definitely has mastered PR for his base. Then the whole story is revealed, but it doesn't matter.

Trump threatened tariff on the mexicans, they gave in like a cheap prostitute being waved with a 5dollar bill, and somehow Orange Man Bad?

pramod

Oct 24, 2017
Uh, I guess this is the most pressing question that comes to mind:

Did Mexico deliver on border actions months before Trump announced tariff deal?

We all know that Trump has made threats and demands several times before. We also know that Mexico agreed to take action several times before. We also know that Mexico did not take enough action several times before.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-07-09/security-on-mexican-borders-to-get-new-force-but-not-from-trump

So, it's really no story that Mexico was making these promises already. Clearly the tariffs worked because they didn't back out (yet) like they usually do.

Years ago, Harvard Business Review mentioned that "a wall won't work, but economic policy will":

Let the Trump haters have their CNN/NYT fake news. It's all they have left. Meanwhile Trump keeps getting shit done.

btgorman

Jul 26, 2009

Agreeing and actually taking actions are two different things.

Do you also take China promises?

PS, I got some land to sell you 🤗.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Hey if Trump is a genius enough to have this all set up and only break out the tariff threat because he knew Mexico was going to do all this shit and look like its caving then he gets even more props. That would just be an example of the 4D chess Trump is playing.

Just like the Russian hoax was all started by Trump so that when it comes out it that Obama's DOJ and FBI violated all forms of ethics and laws Trump will look like a genius once again.

For a guy who is supposed to be a giant idiot he seems to be able to have these very intricate plans work for him.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
If Mexico does nothing in 90 days the tariffs kick in.

Let’s see how things play out.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Agreeing to, and actually doing work/action are two different things. They were not actively doing shit they agreed to, in fact, it was getting much worse so he pushed their hand to act faster on what they agreed to.

pramod

Oct 24, 2017
The sad thing about that NYT article was that it wasn't even "news". It was a hit piece on Trump to lesses his accomplishment. We all knew about the asylum agreement for months, it's just that Mexico has never started implementing it. This isn't some big secret that the NYT just uncovered.

pramod

Oct 24, 2017
And just like that......NYT's fake news narrative destroyed again, in less than 48 hours...

Alebrije

Feb 25, 2010
its funny to see that in both countries oppositors say it was a bad deal. I fact I find it a nice one because bot countries will be involved to stop this exodus. Mexico will reinforce its south border and the U.S. will keep giving money to create jobs in Guatemala. El Salvador and Honduras. this has been done before but this time Trump wont let corrupt goverments take the money instead of using them in social programs.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Jun 15, 2013
The media plays itself like a fiddle again.
Why do they keep getting suckered into this.

Trump gets results no matter how hard they try to deny it.

• LOL

Bolivar687

Jun 13, 2014
USA
Maybe save the accolades until he actually accompishes something.
Hiring in the United States has reached a record all-time high: