• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump signs executive order banning transactions with Tencent

tenor.gif

THEAP99

Banned
1. This is a violation of private property and it’s sick seeing Trump showcase how much of a true communist comrade he is at heart

2. At the same time, this can be a good thing. All these streamer e-sport nerds are gonna lose their “job” and have to do something real.
As well as this may make room for the good of days of multiplayer gaming for adults to come back without being riddled with fruity childish micro transaction trash!

Angry Fork

I think Trump is a twat but I’m glad he’s being firm with China.

Firm about what? Chinese and American business interests are completely aligned. Tons of Trump's prior business dealings involved China. Both countries have mega corporations run by billionaire leeches on society. This is a jingoistic fake controversy stirred up by the Trump admin to generate support from a nationalist base. FBI/CIA/NSA is a much bigger threat to Americans than any Chinese agency or corporation. This isn't even including facebook/google shit.

Last edited:

Shantae

Banned
If you understand how much of a foothold China has around the globe, then you know that this is needed. Unless you are ok with supporting communism and horrific labor practices, amongst a plethora of other things that you hopefully wouldn't want spreading to wherever you live...
Okay then well send back your phone, your computer parts, your television, you consoles, and some of your clothes. Either you learn to live to accept it, or you give up all your little toys. Practice what you preach if you're so high and mighty thinking that this is a good thing.

This is Trump throwing another temper-tantrum.

JLMC469

Banned
Firm about what? Chinese and American business interests are completely aligned. Tons of Trump's prior business dealings involved China. Both countries have mega corporations run by billionaire leeches on society. This is a jingoistic fake controversy stirred up by the Trump admin to generate support from a nationalist base. FBI/CIA/NSA is a much bigger threat to Americans than any Chinese agency or corporation. This isn't even including facebook/google shit.

Yeah. Lol at people thinking Trump is doing this for the well being of people.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Thanks trump, today markets going to crash hard.

My short term punt on Amd and Sony, banned Iike 10cents :messenger_downcast_sweat:

SketchyGamerMan

Neo Member
Okay then well send back your phone, your computer parts, your television, you consoles, and some of your clothes. Either you learn to live to accept it, or you give up all your little toys. Practice what you preach if you're so high and mighty thinking that this is a good thing.

Valid point, but that's the problem. There needs to be manufacturing over here and elsewhere around the world. Maybe it's triple+++ the cost but we would pay it knowing we're not giving money to China. The more the OPs mentality is accepted the closer we can get to a more just reality.

Wouldn’t banning all transactions with Tencent, pretty much mean Epic wouldn’t be sharing any revenue with Tencent? So I would think the best option would be for them to sell their share.

But why would Tencent voluntarily sell their shares? I'd imagine they're still going to profit outside of the US

Last edited:

It's a step in the right direction dude. The alternative is to have your mentality while the world becomes owned, manipulated by and turned into, China. Do you want that?

Everyone knew how messed up China was yet they still hopped right into bed with them. We could have taken even smaller steps than this on the road to pulling out but hardly anyone had the morals to play ball. So here we are, in a situation that it's going to hurt a lot to do the right thing.

We don't need to do what you are saying to make a difference. We can still make small steps. I for one, try to buy everything I can that is MADE IN THE USA.

These companies are huge cash cows. I have faith that they'll figure out a way to get out of bed with China and start playing hard ball with them, like they should have been all along.

Shantae

Banned
Valid point, but that's the problem. There needs to be manufacturing over here and elsewhere around the world. Maybe it's triple+++ the cost but we would pay it knowing we're not giving money to China. The more the OPs mentality is accepted the closer we can get to a more just reality.
It is a problem, but that's capitalism in the 21st century. The markets that exist can not exist without the exploitation of the less fortunate. Cost of living and expenses are to a point where we need a certain amount of income to survive, but manufacturing all the products we use would be impossible to make on workers that would need the wages that we in America would need to survive. Things are not going to just be started to make in America if we cut off ties with China, because US businesses will find another poor country to work with. Markets for all the things that the western world that we've all come to know and accept in our day to day lives are a product of others mistreatment.

Last edited:

Reindeer

I don't wanna be defending Trump here, but he had been talking about China and their threat long before his presidency, decades long in fact. I also don't think you understand how much having financial control over people can lead to having ideological control, just look how World Health Organisation is protecting China and covering up their evil, all because they get massive funding by them. The spread of Communism and sympathy towards Chinese government is a serious problem today, people are overlooking great evil that this country is doing because of financial incentive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom