• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump takes shots at Kaepernick, ‘Get that son of a bitch off the field’

Tbh I always thought “taking the knee” was a weak way to protest. It looks like you are genuflecting to Uncle Sam, not criticising him. Staying seated or giving your back to the flag are more poignant ways to send the desired message.
While you're not wrong about what kneeling traditionally represents, ultimately I don't think it makes much difference. I don't think anyone was confused, so he still got his message across (and triggered the fuck out of racists. Imagine if he had actually turned his back on the flag during the anthem, holy shit. Could right wingers lose it any harder?)

People like to hand-wring about protesters blocking streets or inconveniencing them or whatever, but when a black guy can't even silently protest in the most unobtrusive manner without causing a national uproar, you know there's a ton of people who disagree with the concept of protest, period, if it's done by people they don't like.

Boke1879

I mean this whole Kap thing was already a big deal.

But Trump being unable to contain himself probably put more spotlight on all of this with this stupid fucking comment.

Like it's going to be talked about tomorrow on all the shows and I'm sure ESPN. Going to be VERY interesting to see how all of this plays out.

To think, it's been a full year since Kaep started the protests and racist white people are STILL stark-raving mad about it.

It really infuriates me that these people try to hide behind the "respect the flag" and "patriotism" nonsense.... when 70 years ago NAZI prisoners of war were allowed to eat in segregated restaurants while Black soldiers were kept out. When they went on lynching sprees after WW1 and WW2 because they were worried Black war vets didnt know their place in society.

Like, these people dont get to talk down to others about patriotism and respecting the flag for the next 200 fucking years after what they did barely a generation ago.
They dont have the moral authority to even speak on that topic.

Jerm411

Man how bad did he want to call them something else besides SOBs...he was probably salivating at the thought.

What a deranged sick fuck....

It really infuriates me that these people try to hide behind the "respect the flag" and "patriotism" nonsense....
My dad does the whole “he should be grateful he lives in this country. He’s in an idiot if he thinks black people aren’t treated equally” spiel anytime it comes up. And my brother plays HS football so football discussion happens a lot in our house

It’s absolutely infuriating and so frustrating.

Fuck you you draft dodging piece of trash.

Can't believe people get so bent out of shape about Kaep, I've seen videos of Congressmen sitting during the anthem.

rudger

Wait. Kaep isnt even playing. The fuck is he going on about??

Teeechnically he didn't call him out by name.

But it wouldn't even matter if he did. For Trump, this is like playing an oldie. Think about all the times he has railed against Hillary. Is she in any position of power right now? Is she running for anything? Obviously none of that matters to him or the rally goers. He just loves to bring up old enemies or topics he knows riles people up.

Nitsuj23

Which has fucking nothing to do with any of this.
Him influencing thousands of people not to vote doesn't make his political stance a little less potent? He had a chance to make positive change where people have a voice (the ballot box) and he actively dissuaded people. But he'll kneel.

I think he should be on an NFL team. I think he's a pretty sweet quarterback. But I also think he's feigning political intelligence. I think he got caught up in something that has snowballed on the national stage.

I think it's possible to think he should be in the league and also his politics are somewhat dumb. Those feelings aren't mutually exclusive.

Had it not been for the Trump = Clinton comment I would put more stock in his politics. Regardless, I'll reiterate, he should be on an NFL team.

Nitsuj23

I would love to see NBA players and coaches take a knee as a united front come opening night, but the difference between the respective leagues' responses to Trump and increasingly open white supremacy are still pretty severe: https://www.thenation.com/article/why-the-nba-is-in-revolt-against-trump/
Not what I was responding to. The poster I quoted specifically mentioned NFL players won't kneel because they're not NBA players. I'm an avid NBA fan. They didn't kneel last year.

Kelsdesu

Teeechnically he didn't call him out by name.

But it wouldn't even matter if he did. For Trump, this is like playing an oldie. Think about all the times he has railed against Hillary. Is she in any position of power right now? Is she running for anything? Obviously none of that matters to him or the rally goers. He just loves to bring up old enemies or topics he knows riles people up.

He literally runs out of shit to say.

kIdMuScLe

Ummmmm NBA players weren't kneeling post-Kaep so not sure what you're implying. Do you even watch the NBA or just think that because more players are black they all must be kneeling?

I think he’s implying that NBA players are more likely to protest league wide than NFL players... I mean you already have some NFL and ex-NFL black players saying that this protest is a load of crap and they should know their place plus Kaepernick ain’t black enough for them too...

Nitsuj23

I think he’s implying that NBA players are more likely to protest league wide than NFL players... I mean you already have some NFL and ex-NFL black players saying that this protest is a load of crap and they should know their place plus Kaepernick ain’t black enough for them too...
"What are the chances every NFL player will kneel"

"This isn't the NBA"

That implies all NBA players knelt.

No NBA players knelt.

Not what I was responding to. The poster I quoted specifically mentioned NFL players won't kneel because they're not NBA players. I'm an avid NBA fan. They didn't kneel last year.

I didn't say that at all, let alone specifically. I said that NFL teams are full of Trump supporters unlike the NBA. It's not difficult to imagine a NBA team collectively doing something in protest to Trump, but that is not going to happen in the NFL.

Nitsuj23

I didn't say that at all, let alone specifically. I said that NFL teams are full of Trump supporters unlike the NBA. It's not difficult to imagine a NBA team collectively doing something in protest to Trump, but that is not going to happen in the NFL.

Are you serious?

Here is the post your responded to:
What are the chances every player will kneel during the anthem for the next game?

With this statement:
0. This isn't the NBA, NFL teams are full of Trump supporters.

So someone is asking the chances every NFL player will kneel. You respond with, "this isn't the NBA". That doesn't imply that NBA players have knelt? You can't be serious. Why else would you bring up NBA players when the poster mentions a unanimous kneeling?

ieK3NcL.gif

Lol, incredible.

Trump keeps being fucking awful, but if the guy played the both sides argument well... what did you expect.

Are you serious?

Here is the post your responded to:

With this statement:

So someone is asking the chances every NFL player will kneel. You respond with, "this isn't the NBA". That doesn't imply that NBA players have knelt? You can't be serious.

Learn sentence structure, there is something after the comma that kind of matters when it comes to meaning. That sentence does not imply that NBA players knelt. It's okay that you misread me, this doubling down after I just clarified what I meant is really bizarre and unnecessary.

Nitsuj23

Learn sentence structure, there is something after the comma that kind of matters when it comes to meaning. It's okay that you misread me, this doubling down after I just clarified what I meant is really bizarre and unnecessary.

Or perhaps you weren't clear initially? Commas mean that what you're replying to is no longer relevant?

Jeels

I don't think I've ever literally hated anyone. I hate this man so much. He will never be my president. I hope he's wiped from history books.

Top Bottom