Trump threatens SNL with federal investigation for mocking him

May 22, 2018
Donald Trump is taking his fixation with Saturday Night Live to a new level.

The President tweeted in the early Sunday morning hours a threat to have the NBC late night comedy series investigated by a federal agency. The offense? Mocking him.

“It’s truly incredible that shows like Saturday Night Live, not funny/no talent, can spend all of their time knocking the same person (me), over & over, without so much of a mention of ‘the other side,'” the president wrote. “Like an advertisement without consequences. Same with Late Night Shows. Should Federal Election Commission and/or FCC look into this? There must be Collusion with the Democrats and, of course, Russia! Such one sided media coverage, most of it Fake News. Hard to believe I won and am winning. Approval Rating 52%, 93% with Republicans. Sorry! #MAGA”

Oddly, SNL didn’t even air a new episode last night, but rather a repeat that featured at least one Trump sketch (with Alec Baldwin reprising his role as Trump).

Of course, entertainment programming mocking newsworthy figures is protected as free speech. Trump seems to be referring to the “equal time rule” which mandates that U.S. broadcast TV stations give equal air-time opportunities to opposing political candidates in prime-time if requested. But Trump is president, not a candidate, and SNL is in late-night and, again, parody. There’s also FCC’s “fairness doctrine,” a regulation that required networks to give balanced coverage to matters of public controversy. The FCC eliminated the policy in 1987.

Trump has long slammed SNL, shown hostility toward mockery in general and is known to hardly ever laughthis link opens in a new tab (“I’ve never seen him laugh. Not in public, not in private,” former FBI Director James Comey told ABC). Trump’s former adviser Roger Stone has said Trump decided to run for president in 2011 after President Obama mocked him at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner — an annual celebration and roast that Trump has refused to attend as president.
https://ew.com/tv/2019/03/17/trump-threatens-snl-twitter/

It’s truly incredible that shows like Saturday Night Live, not funny/no talent, can spend all of their time knocking the same person (me), over & over, without so much of a mention of “the other side.” Like an advertisement without consequences. Same with Late Night Shows......

....Should Federal Election Commission and/or FCC look into this? There must be Collusion with the Democrats and, of course, Russia! Such one sided media coverage, most of it Fake News. Hard to believe I won and am winning. Approval Rating 52%, 93% with Republicans. Sorry! #MAGA

But hey freedom of speech right? :)

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Hahahaha he's obviously trolling you, and you fell for it.

He's mocking the Democratic talking point that overwhelming one-sided support = collusion.

May 22, 2018
Hahahaha he's obviously trolling you, and you fell for it.

He's mocking the Democratic talking point that overwhelming one-sided support = collusion.

I continue to love when Trump does anything like this its portrayed as "just jokes" by his base in order to avoid the problems that such statements raise. Its never wrong. Its never questionable. Its never a bad thing. Its always something that can be simply hand waved away as if its nothing no matter what it is he has said and no matter who he said it to.

Its amazing the lengths people will go to defend him and his shit lol

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
I continue to love when Trump does anything like this its portrayed as "just jokes" by his base in order to avoid the problems that such statements raise.

Its never wrong. Its never questionable. Its never a bad thing. Its always something that can be simply hand waved away as if its nothing no matter what it is he has said lol Its amazing.
You are mischaracterizing both his words and mine.

It's almost like you have an agenda instead of a genuine interest in engaging in conversation with fellow GAFers. :pie_thinking:

May 22, 2018
You are mischaracterizing both his words and mine.

It's almost like you have an agenda instead of a genuine interest in engaging in conversation with fellow GAFers. :pie_thinking:
Tell me how I am mischaracterizing his words or yours. Please. Because it seems to me that he is lashing out at a tv show for daring to make fun of him and you are trying to excuse his behavior by pretending its just some kind of joke. Which is bizarrely similar to how his entire base hand waves the vast majority of his questionable behavior.

By all means explain how I am wrong in either capacity though. I'll wait.

Last edited:

Musky_Cheese

Community Liaison
Oct 23, 2016
It seems like he’s joking...

But if he isn’t, that good old Freedom Of Speech will do it’s job.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Tell me how I am mischaracterizing his words or yours. Please. Because it seems to me that he is lashing out at a tv show for daring to make fun of him and you are trying to excuse his behavior.

By all means explain how I am wrong in either capacity.
I've already explained, and so did the other poster. It's a joke mocking the Democrats and their constant harping that any time Trump's actions appear one-sided, it's collusion, it's Russia, it's conspiracy. And in response to this explanation, you knee jerked into accusations that the people disagreeing with you are the "Trump base" trying to make excuses.

If your intention was to have a serious conversation, you exposed yourself way too early in this thread.

Here is the arc of the thread so far, which is common to anything that you touch:

- Makes interpretive statement
- Someone disagrees with interpretive statement
- "I love how Trump's base just handwaves..."
- More laughter ensues
- "Please point out how I mischaracterized things"

dolabla

Oct 9, 2013
I continue to love when Trump does anything like this its portrayed as "just jokes" by his base in order to avoid the problems that such statements raise. Its never wrong. Its never questionable. Its never a bad thing. Its always something that can be simply hand waved away as if its nothing no matter what it is he has said and no matter who he said it to.

Its amazing the lengths people will go to defend him and his shit lol
You fell for his troll, lmao.

Dunki

Oct 24, 2017
Yeah sorry but this is an troll or Joke with the reminder of what they did to him.

If he really wanted this then fuck him but this is obvious not a threat at all.

old

May 11, 2013
Threatening government retribution against dissent and criticism:

But it’s just a joke!

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com

But it’s just a joke!
Being persecuted is easy when everything is persecution.

I guess it's true that the Left has no sense of humor. At least we've put that one to rest.

SNL and the cadre of late-night TV makes constant jokes about Trump: "But it's just a joke!"
Trump mocks the Democrats' obsession with collusion: "This tyrant... I am literally shaking rn"

Airola

Jun 25, 2015
Finland
If the line "There must be Collusion with the Democrats and, of course, Russia!" doesn't tell you it's sarcasm I don't know what to say to you.

Honestly though, just by reading the OP title and the first part of the tweet I was thinking "now this is petty even for Trump" but the second part showed it was clearly sarcasm.

Might as well write "Trump believes SNL colluded with Russia."

finowns

May 10, 2009
Trump shouldn't joke about this. And I'm sure SNL and the 'Late Night Shows' are shaking in their boots about this 'threat'.

May 22, 2018
You fell for his troll, lmao.
Even if it was just a troll did it ever occur to you that maybe just MAYBE the President of the United States shouldn't be trolling on Twitter like a 13yr old child throwing a tantrum?

Last edited:

Musky_Cheese

Community Liaison
Oct 23, 2016
Even if it was just a troll did it ever occur to you that maybe just MAYBE the President of the United States shouldn't be trolling on Twitter like a 13yr old child throwing a tantrum?
Then perhaps that should be the purpose of the thread. Change the OP and Thread Title.

That’s a legit topic.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Sorry, but the thread premise was "threatens", not "trolling", including your backbiting comment about "hey freedom of speech!"

I'm glad that we've skipped pages upon pages of nonsense to get right to the pearl-clutching and goalpost-moving on page one.

Dec 15, 2011
"Yeah, well.. even if I am wrong.. er.. I'should still be right. Because."

Have you ever thought of teaming up with @dragonfart28?
The combined power of your hot takes could solve the energy crisis in an instant.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Aug 3, 2010
In a cave outside of Whooville.
I'm pretty excited for the day when Trump actually does something horribly wrong and gets called out for it. It'll actually be refreshing after all these non-stories that get pushed so hard.

None of this, "he killed koi fish, he took 2 scoops of ice cream, he bought mcdonalds for a sports team, he says Tim Cook and then Tim Apple 15 minutes later so he must not know who Tim Cook is" bullshit. Let's get a real topic about something he directly did wrong so we can criticize him for real and not just continue this retarded Trump Derangement Syndrome.

quickwhips

Jan 26, 2009
Well he isn’t wrong. SNL is less funny then it was in the past. I don’t think it’s because of them making fun of him because some are great but I think the cast needs a refresh or new writters. Trump is an idiot if I wasn’t clear.

Last edited:

Teletraan1

May 17, 2012
Canada
He is clearly making fun of the ridiculous investigations that he is currently under and the specious reasons that have been given for why he is under investigation. His levity shows he isn't scared.

infinitys_7th

Oct 1, 2006
Tell me how I am mischaracterizing his words or yours. Please. Because it seems to me that he is lashing out at a tv show for daring to make fun of him and you are trying to excuse his behavior by pretending its just some kind of joke. Which is bizarrely similar to how his entire base hand waves the vast majority of his questionable behavior.

By all means explain how I am wrong in either capacity though. I'll wait.
There must be Collusion with the Democrats and, of course, Russia!

jonnyp

Jan 12, 2008
Well he isn’t wrong. SNL is less funny then it was in the past. I don’t think it’s because of them making fun of him because some are great but I think the cast needs a refresh or new writters.
There is too much wokeness and political stuff on the show these days though. But the main problems are that the only funny person left on the show is Kate McKinnon and that the writers are terrible. Cannot believe SNL survived but MadTV didn't.

And what a shock to see OP and his friends completely miss the obvious....

Last edited:

dolabla

Oct 9, 2013
It's crazy how Kenan has made it bigger than Kel. Kel was 1000x more funnier than Kenan.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018

But it’s just a joke!
Oh wait you mean like setting up a government funded "special investigation" to discover a crime despite there being no proof of a crime occuring. That type of retribution?

Holy shit I feel like liberals pretend to be stupid so they could justify being angry. I mean he literally accuses them of working with Russia. How dense can you be to not see the joke here?

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
I'm pretty excited for the day when Trump actually does something horribly wrong and gets called out for it. It'll actually be refreshing after all these non-stories that get pushed so hard.

None of this, "he killed koi fish, he took 2 scoops of ice cream, he bought mcdonalds for a sports team, he says Tim Cook and then Tim Apple 15 minutes later so he must not know who Tim Cook is" bullshit. Let's get a real topic about something he directly did wrong so we can criticize him for real and not just continue this retarded Trump Derangement Syndrome.
The crazy thing there are issues you could criticize Trump for. No one ever does though, because they are more concerned with this crazy shit, or pushing a conspiracy theory.

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
Shit poster in Chief.

Much Ado about nothing as I read his tweet in the context of intended satire regarding current events.

Dunki

Oct 24, 2017
Yeah he should be more like Erdogan showing the video of the massacre on his political rallies blaming the west. One day later 3 people died today in Utrecht by a Turkish migrant. How much Damage will Trump do with his stupid joke?

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
I generally loathe MSNBC's coverage of Trump, but some will be more receptive to them than Fox News, so I'll just leave this Ari Melber segment here as a reminder:

JareBear

Gold Member
Nov 5, 2016
I don't care where (just far)
Well he isn’t wrong. SNL is less funny then it was in the past. I don’t think it’s because of them making fun of him because some are great but I think the cast needs a refresh or new writters. Trump is an idiot if I wasn’t clear.
Cast seems to lack star power. Most generations of SNL have at least one or two that transcend the SNL bubble into super stardom but I don’t see anyone like that on SNL now.

Madonis

Oct 21, 2018
I'll be honest, I think it's childish and stupid of him. Not fitting for a world leader, let alone the POTUS.

He's a troll, but a baby troll. Why does he care about what SNL says about him? No need for this.

Still, not a crime. He's already involved in plenty of those though, so this isn't going to change that.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Jun 3, 2013
Canada
I honestly don't really get the "not behaviour befitting a president" thing. The left was and is cool with a guy who gets his dick sucked under the table at the white house. I literally wouldn't care if my country elected an actual clown, if he was getting the right shit done.

My boss at work is always saying the same thing, last week he was talking about how Trump told a reporter that her question was stupid or something, and my boss is like "you know he might be right but you just don't say it, not when you're in that position, not befitting a president etc." I'm like, that's why I and many others like him, no one else was telling that fucking journalist their question was stupid. Should he have to? No. But god damn I'm glad someone finally is, and it's nice that when Trump does it, the left gets triggered beyond belief.

Last edited:

Madonis

Oct 21, 2018
I honestly don't really get the "not behaviour befitting a president" thing. The left was and is cool with a guy who gets his dick sucked under the table at the white house. I literally wouldn't care if my country elected an actual clown, if he was getting the right shit done.
As I recall, it was the religious right that made the greatest deal out of that subject back in the Clinton years...and now they don't care at all about Trump's gross sexual and sexist behavior. Nice double standard, I suppose. "Moral Majority" indeed.

Presidents are supposed to have a basic set of manners and respect for their critics. Not only for the sake of appearances, though that's also part of it, but because they are powerful. Today Trump might be joking and trolling, but there are real people, even world leaders praised by Trump, who have actually taken action against the press and even comedy shows.

You see this as "fighting back" but there is a line. If you act like it's all a joke, crossing it won't seem like a big deal, once someone else, whether on the right or on the left, actually decides it's worth doing that for real. After all, if it's all a joke, then surely nobody could ever take that step, right?

Last edited:

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Presidents are supposed to have a basic set of manners and respect for their critics. Not only for the sake of appearances, though that's also part of it, but because they are powerful. Today Trump might be joking and trolling, but there are real people, even world leaders praised by Trump, who have actually taken action against the press and even comedy shows.
Those comedy shows should go back to being comedy shows then. Colbert, Kimmel, Meyers, Noah, Oliver, Maher... they've all crossed over into political activism/propaganda when you consider the fact they aren't delivering their jokes in lighthearted fashion, they're doing it with malicious intent. I don't think this is up for debate considering they have teams of people working at those shows and they are fully aware they are perpetuating lies/half-truths on a regular basis, like claiming Trump said there were good people in the white nationalist crowd at Charlottesville (you'd be amazed how many people believe that one).

prag16

Jul 12, 2012
I generally loathe MSNBC's coverage of Trump, but some will be more receptive to them than Fox News, so I'll just leave this Ari Melber segment here as a reminder:

PSA: You can stop watching when he brings the two guests on. The objective analysis of Trump's tactics devolves into 100% butthurt partisan grandstanding.

Trey

Mar 3, 2010
Similar to how he told the FCC to look into revoking NBC's TV license because they consistently make fun of him. It's thoughtless nonsense coming from a political novice with thin skin, more a reaction than policy.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018

This is hillarious. MSNBC literally cited Bart Simpson and gamergate.

🤣🤣 People actually believe this shit.

Edit: and the two guests. Holly shit wow. The right doesn't want debates, says the liberals who deplatform everyone.

And if course it's talk radio and Fox news. The sole sources for all problems ever. My God liberals are a joke

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
love all these "threats" he has been making that are just stupid Tweets taken out of context

Trump is the only thing keeping SNL on life support. wish Trump & NBC would just get a room

Last edited: