• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Trump to pull US out of "open skies" treaty

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
The Pentagon
good, an aerial surveillance network of military zones is unacceptable

i mean we're still gonna do it lawls, now we don't have to pay the bill for this goofy tribunal

tho i wouldn't be surprised if trump rebuts on this, seems like he might be testing the waters a bit

Last edited:
Reactions: A Regular Guy

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
I went looking for this story and it only came up via Washington Examiner's reporting from the House Foreign Affairs Committee, which basically sums up their letter, and the Daily Beast, which has some red flags in it like:

"...Eliot Engel on Monday expressed his alarm over the Trump administration’s potential plans"

"Withdrawing from the treaty could upend this transatlantic alliance, and place Ukraine at greater risk."

"...expressing his alarm over Trump’s reported plans to leave the treaty."

Reported by who? No sources were cited.

Reactions: Oner

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Nah, there's a story there, I'm just not sure what source the Daily Beast was referring to and since they're attached at the hip with the Democrats I'm left wondering if this is a genuine concern or an attempt to layer on some weight to the Trump/Zelensky phone call that somehow turned into an impeachable offense.