Trump White House urging allies to prepare for possible RBG departure

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
https://www.politico.com/story/2019...to-prepare-for-possible-rbg-departure-1096102

The White House is reaching out to political allies and conservative activist groups to prepare for an ailing Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s possible death or departure from the Supreme Court — an event that would trigger the second bitter confirmation battle of President Donald Trump’s tenure.

The outreach began after Ginsburg, 85, on Mondaymissed oral arguments at the court for the first time in her 25 years on the bench. The justice, who was nominated to the court by President Bill Clinton in 1993, announced in late December that she underwent a surgical procedure to remove two cancerous growths from her lungs.

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
Would it be insensitive if I brought up Trump could make a deal with the Democrats?

Democrats agree to fund Trump's wall in exchange, they get to pick the next supreme court judge?

Aug 30, 2018
Would it be insensitive if I brought up Trump could make a deal with the Democrats?

Democrats agree to fund Trump's wall in exchange, they get to pick the next supreme court judge?
No point. He's much better off to go the national emergency route to get the wall + additional funding to complete it and his ideal judge.

Jun 13, 2014
USA
If true, this is poor form, as Ginsburg is incredibly tough and has resolved to do the job for as long as she can.

At the same time, she herself said she would step down once she could no longer do the job "full steam," and with her unable to perform her duties this week, I believe that time has now come. In the interest of the Court and fairness to its litigants, Justice Ginsberg should resign so the President can nominate a younger Justice who can satisfy the demands of her position.

Nov 12, 2016
Amy Coney Barrett, come on down!

And just like that, the narrative will go away from "women shattering ceilings" to "this Republican is a terrible person, and here's why!"

No point. He's much better off to go the national emergency route to get the wall + additional funding to complete it and his ideal judge.
Yup. This way if his emergency is challenged, it will be decided in the...... you guessed it, SCOTUS. Oh the Liberal tears

Nov 5, 2016
I don't care where (just far)
I have a lot of respect for RBG. However her time as SCJ ends, I hope it’s on her terms.

I don’t know much about Amy Coney Barrett but she seems like a qualified and competent candidate.

It seems pretty likely that Trump is gonna get to pick another SCJ. No point in me protesting it. As long as it’s a worthy candidate, go for it

Jun 13, 2014
USA
And just like that, the narrative will go away from "women shattering ceilings" to "this Republican is a terrible person, and here's why!"
Inb4 Catholic Woman Bad.

Yup. This way if his emergency is challenged, it will be decided in the...... you guessed it, SCOTUS. Oh the Liberal tears
I honestly believe the current Supreme Court, or even one with Amy, would probably not uphold an emergency declaration. I know some people will refuse to believe it but when federalists talk about nominating judges who will uphold the Constitution, we really do actually mean it.

Apr 9, 2009
I'm not sure that the constitutionalist types would actually like Trump going that route. It lays down legal precedent for all sorts of BS that both republicans and democrats alike could abuse.

I honestly believe the current Supreme Court, or even one with Amy, would probably not uphold an emergency declaration. I know some people will refuse to believe it but when federalists talk about nominating judges who will uphold the Constitution, we really do actually mean it.
Hit the nail on the head.

Will there be another embarrassing circus?
Only if it happens in a year that starts with 2.

Feb 25, 2017
If true, then Trump should give up the wall now and bide his time. When Ginsburg retires, he should go full Clarence Thomas and let the democrats squeal for "compromise".

Apr 25, 2009
Australia

Eh, I like Jordan’s idea in spirit. While I despise the identity-driven modern Democrats, I don’t want the balance of power to get skewed too far in favour of Republicans.

Jun 20, 2018
If true, then Trump should give up the wall now and bide his time. When Ginsburg retires, he should go full Clarence Thomas and let the democrats squeal for "compromise".
Kava and Gorsuch was already a compromise and with that in mind, nope he should pick the most conservative person even possible who is qualified for the job the democrats deserve that for the behaviour in the kava circus then with the judges he should declare emergency and build the wall. The time of playing nice while democrats say "thanks" and use every dirty tactic possible needs to stop.

Last edited: