• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump's debt limit deal with Dems likely to lead to DACA becoming law at end of year

Emwitus

So now everyone is for trump? I'm confused. Nothing he has done over the last few months shows me he has any sort of deal with anyone. C'mon gaf

KHarvey16

So now everyone is for trump? I'm confused. Nothing he has done over the last few months shows me he has any sort of deal with anyone. C'mon gaf

I don't know why people love to pop in without having read anything about what's going on and attempt to tell us all what's really up.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

You're right you're confused because that's not what anyone is saying. Schumer and Pelosi played Trump against his own party in front of their faces to get into a very advantageous position. They used Trump's own ego and fickle nature against the very people he's supposed to be working for.

Glad to hear that there is a Christian voice calling for daca to be made law because it's the good and right thing to do and not all Christians just follow the republican anti-immigrant dogma.

Immigration is a complex issue but it's hard to argue against letting people who have lived here their entire human experience that they can recall become citizens.

VeeP

Where are you getting this from? Nothing on the first page of this thread says everyone is for Trump. How are you even getting confused? Did you read the OP or the rest of this thread?

Glad to hear that there is a Christian voice calling for daca to be made law because it's the good and right thing to do and not all Christians just follow the republican anti-immigrant dogma.

Immigration is a complex issue but it's hard to argue against letting people who have lived here their entire human experience that they can recall become citizens.

Immigration is a weird one for even the most conservative Christian communities. The Biblical story and the concept of "missions" is tightly woven into the fabric of Church in America.

These kinds of moves hit Evangelicals especially where it hurts - thus the response.

Lowmelody

I'm going to assume that Trump is gaslighting Dreamers so they refrain from seeking legal counsel and other means to stay until it's too late.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
It's an audio only story, but it seems that Christians might do something good for the country at large by pushing for and supporting Dreamers, meaning DACA has a much better shot at becoming law and maybe even be expanded upon if Republicans want to continue to push "Christian" ideals come midterms.

It's a bygone conclusion that it will become law regardless of the Christian turnabout. There is no way that in 6 months America could handle having pictures and video across the nation of ICE storming homes and forcefully removing these innocent working citizens from their homes and families. Anyone knows they would be complicit for backing the team that let it happen.

Nerokis

Trump's thinking is that since Obama had to protect "Dreamers" via executive order, he's going to "one-up" him by doing it via legislation. It's all about accomplishing something Obama couldn't.

Obama would be part of that accomplishment. The fact that DACA brought ~800,000 Dreamers out of the shadows changed the equation, and set the groundwork for a permanent, legislative solution. He probably saw this coming.

Zenner

There is no way that in 6 months America could handle having pictures and video across the nation of ICE storming homes and forcefully removing these innocent working citizens from their homes and families.

Turn it into a COPS-like show on Fox, and it'd sweep the ratings. No joke.

Obama would be part of that accomplishment. The fact that DACA brought ~800,000 Dreamers out of the shadows changed the equation, and set the groundwork for a permanent, legislative solution. He probably saw this coming.
Yup. Imagine a phone call between the two.

Trump: "I got DACA passed! You couldn't! Admit it, I'm better!"
Obama: (in the background, a giant party) "Yup, you got me good Donald, I can't believe it"

It's like in DBZ when Vegeta finally surpasses Goku and brags to him about it, and Goku is just like "cool, way to go bro!" And then Obama takes off his weighted clothing.

Cerium

Upbeat Trump raves to Schumer, Pelosi about news coverage of their deal

Many Republicans were furious with President Donald Trump's budget deal Wednesday, stunned that the president quickly gave in to Democratic demands to pair hurricane relief with a three-month debt limit hike — though getting nothing in return.

But in calls with Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi Thursday morning, Trump raved about the positive news coverage it had received, according to people familiar with the calls, and he seemed very pleased with his decision.

Trump specifically mentioned TV segments praising the deal and indicated he'd been watching in a call with Schumer, two people said. And he was jovial in a call with Pelosi and agreed to send a tweet she asked for about the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, these people said, while also mentioning the attention the deal had gotten. He indicated to both leaders he would be willing to work together again.

"He seemed super upbeat," one person familiar with the calls said.

Another person familiar with the calls said Trump told Pelosi her coverage was even better than his. ”The press has been incredible," Trump said.

Pelosi herself bragged that she had gotten results after asking him to tweet reassurances that Dreamers shouldn't worry about being deported over the next six months while lawmakers try to secure a DACA fix.

”I was telling my colleagues, ‘This is what I asked the president to do,' and boom boom boom, the tweet appeared," she said at a news conference Thursday.

LakeEarth

Yup. Imagine a phone call between the two.

Trump: "I got DACA passed! You couldn't! Admit it, I'm better!"
Obama: (in the background, a giant party) "Yup, you got me good Donald, I can't believe it"

It's like in DBZ when Vegeta finally surpasses Goku and brags to him about it, and Goku is just like "cool, way to go bro!" And then Obama takes off his weighted clothing.

That'd be amazing if Trump suddenly switched from undoing everything Obama did, to solidifying all of his executive orders into law. He still gets that feeling of superiority, while not destroying the country in the meantime.

I'd prefer Trump to live in his own delusion and assume he had everything to do with it. TBH if we can trick him into doing stuff like rejoining the Paris Agreement with an even more aggressive plan (because it's better than Obama's) then that's a win for everyone. Keep the narrative if he's just going to re-introduce Obama's plans again.

Obligatory:

giphy.gif

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
This is both pathetic and hilarious at the same time

I think the dichotomy of Trump's Ego, and by extension his need for a "win" combined with his irrationality caused by his racism and xenophobia is causing this. I don't know if a parallel exists in Politics.

Maybe he actually will keep helping Dems if all he cares about is what CNN says, and Fox proved they'll back him no matter what he does.

At least until the Russia stuff starts up again and Dems start calling for impeachment.

As long as he keeps working with them, I don't think the Democrats will push for impeachment even if damning evidence comes out. If anything, they could use it as leverage against him. It's better to ride it out to 2020 than be stuck with Pence or Ryan. If and when Trump sways back to the other side, Democrats could then push for impeachment. Alternatively, if they somehow get control of the House in 2018, they could push for impeachment then.

TCRS

Banned
Trump has literally no idea what he is doing does he? They probably said some nice words so he totally fucked over his party, two days after telling young immigrants to go fuck themselves. This are the times we live in. People will talk about this in 100 years.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
As long as he keeps working with them, I don't think the Democrats will push for impeachment even if damning evidence comes out. If anything, they could use it as leverage against him. It's better to ride it out to 2020 than be stuck with Pence or Ryan. If and when Trump sways back to the other side, Democrats could then push for impeachment. Alternatively, if they somehow get control of the House in 2018, they could push for impeachment then.

It's going to depend on the evidence, it's still advantageous for Dems if the evidence is strong to impeach, aside from the right thing to do. Pence or Ryan will be lame duck president till 2020 in such a scenario, only to fight a virtually impossible battle for election.

Kysen

Watch as the favourable media coverage of this deal (mainstream media) feeds trumps ego. Hopefully it leads to more as hes a sucker to ego boosts. Maybe this is the way to subvert the republican agenda by going straight to trump.

JettDash

Man...what if the Dems just play Trump for the next four years by promising him they'll make him look good in the media?

It will increase his chances of being reelected. But if Nancy and Chuck make him their puppet, it will be worth it.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

If he keeps siding with Democrats, REPUBLICANS might call for impeachment, and they have the majority. Something tells me Dems wouldn't oppose it.

studyguy

Trump just leaving R's by the roadside for positive coverage before R's left him isn't how I saw things playing out, but all the same it's hilarious. The water is so incredibly poisoned by Trump that literally all the coverage so far has been Democrats outmaneuvering Trump on virtually every media station with the exception of FOX/Breitbart who are going all in on saying the GOP failed Trump.

It's pretty wild. I can't imagine Trump sits pretty on this coverage that basically gives him backhanded complements for riding on Dem policy coat tails but however long it runs for, it's to the benefit of democrats and anyone who isn't on board with his inhuman policies.

Iksenpets

Banned
Modern US politics have me wildly excited for a pair of wealthy politicians to manipulate a senile old man into doing things he no longer has the mental capacity to realize are actually the opposite of what he wants.

Lifeline

Hope the news he watches keeps being super positive everytime he does a deal with the dems. Maybe by the time the 4 years are up, he will officially become a democrat.

Trump is a easy puppet, hope the dems takeover the strings.

Certainly Planned Parenthood, which is something the Republican base, Republican leadership, and Trump all agree on.

Republicans have no leverage here. All Pelosi has to do is walk away and Ryan won't be able to pass another debt ceiling raise or spending bill. She has at least 99% control of her caucus, whereas Ryan is going to lose enough republicans to imperil any GOP strategy.

This is basically a repeat of what we saw over and over between Pelosi and Boehner. Boehner was constantly unable to pass basic bills, resulting in him being forced to work with Pelosi (and the White House).

Will DACA get done during this process? I don't know. I think it'll likely be passed within the next 6 months, however I don't really buy the idea that it'll get done in December. What I do know is that Trump essentially torpedoed republican legislative goals for 2017. They needed the next few months to hammer down tax reform in some form or fashion. Now the deck is stacked with items that HAVE to be addressed, and I see no reason to believe Paul Ryan can maneuver the next 3 months perfectly. The debt ceiling will get done, for sure; there is no other option. A spending bill might get done. Tax reform? Good luck lol.

NoName999

Guys, think about it for a moment:

The GOP couldn't control Trump in the past 8 months. 2 years if you count the general.

The Democrats managed to tame him in only 2 days.

Can you imagine the leftist shit Trump will sign if they just coddle his ego? This Presidency would then proceed to be..... at least somewhat, barley tolerable.

Top Bottom