• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump's economic illiteracy is showing through with respect to the self-inflicted Chinese trade war

womfalcs3

May 11, 2007

Trump imposes tariffs that make it more expensive for US end-consumers to purchase goods. Now, China is negating their effects by devaluing local currency.

Farmers are also scrambling to find other export markets than China.

This is one clusterfuck in a bubble of many clusterfucks that this administration has caused.

This is why his first economic advisor resigned.

Last edited:

danielberg

Jun 20, 2018
I see a bright future for third countries to become huge exporters of totally-not-US food to China.
even europe recently begrudgingly agreed to purchase more US beef export and i am sure it will be labeled and marketed to sell

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018

Trump imposes tariffs that make it more expensive for US end-consumers to purchase goods. Now, China is negating their effects by devaluing local currency.

This is one clusterfuck in a bubble of many clusterfucks that this administration has caused.

1. What is your solution in regards to dealing with China?
2. What effective policies were other presidential administrations successfully executing in regards to China?
3. Are tariffs not a viable tool of the State? If not, why does the US and almost every other country in the world choose to use them?
4. Why should currency manipulation be allowed in the same playing field with countries using a floating exchange rate?
5. Is your argument that the damage is/will be worse to the US than to China? If so, how?

DESTROYA

Jan 1, 2011
USA
@Ornlu
I was going to ask some of the questions but you beat me to it but knowing the OP they will totally avoid answering any of those without the typical TDS responses.
This president put his foot down because it had to be done at some point and while other presidents just dismissed the issue of China continually taking advantage of the USA especially of the stolen IP issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: hunchback

womfalcs3

May 11, 2007
1. What is your solution in regards to dealing with China?
2. What effective policies were other presidential administrations successfully executing in regards to China?
3. Are tariffs not a viable tool of the State? If not, why does the US and almost every other country in the world choose to use them?
4. Why should currency manipulation be allowed in the same playing field with countries using a floating exchange rate?
5. Is your argument that the damage is/will be worse to the US than to China? If so, how?
I'd have to sit down and study the matter... but it is not a good sign when those who did study the issue resigned from this administration over this trade war.

Last edited:

GamingKaiju

Oct 24, 2014
China was becoming a massive thorn to the US. It has to be done but China will do China and as others have stated they are back to currency rigging rather than engaging in actual discussion. China is hoping Trump loses the 2020 elections and the next POTUS just removes the tariffs and everything has goes back to normal.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
I'd have to sit down and study the matter... but it is not a good sign when those who did study the issue resigned from this administration over this trade war.
So you’re speaking on a issue you know nothing about? Shocking🙄

If any president, dem or republican took a aggressive stance towards China, the risk of them devaluing the yuan was there. Stop pretending like this is surprising news

Last edited:

rorepmE

Jan 20, 2019
Republic of Val Verde
I refuse to believe the only possible outcome for the American society is a slow entropy into playing second fiddle to China. Come up with a possible course of action to dodge the iceberg, or get the fuck off the wheel.
This.

I mean we let it get to this point already due to the last 3 administrations.

Clinton thought that integrating China into the world economy would slowly sow the seeds of democracy in China and that was a colossal failure. They're even more repressive now that ever before and with the benefit of technology to make it even more efficient.

I don't think we're past the point of no return but we're getting there the longer we put it off.

finowns

May 10, 2009
Trump completely changed the script of 'China #1!', what can you do? For me that's plenty for reelection. People who resist on at least fighting China economically are treasonous.

epicnemesis

May 9, 2008
China was playing with loaded dice and it’s about time a president stood up to them. They have always been and will always be currency manipulators. I feel for the farmers but they are the soldiers in Bastogne in this war. Eventually China will break and they would have been instrumental in rebalancing the world economy.

Reactions: Joe T.

rorepmE

Jan 20, 2019
Republic of Val Verde
Right now we still have a lot of leverage in the world economy but we won't always have that. Now is the time to use that leverage instead of bending over for China on every. single. deal. That's my issue with China trade. If we can achieve balanced trade that benefits BOTH partners. That would be ideal. Nothing wrong with having a prosperous China at all.

Reactions: HeresJohnny
Oct 26, 2018
China became a superpower starting 20-30 years ago.

Before that, their economic power and exports were a fraction of the size not even cracking top 10.

Western countries reaped the benefits of cheap labour and cheap costs. That's why inflation in western countries is usually low at around 2% whereas emerging countries, or ones in crisis mode can have double digit inflation rates.

China has a stranglehold on many countries by exporting so much more than importing.

Way back, China was all about supplying cheap low quality shit so nobody cared. Now, almost all electronics are made there aside from some things in Japan. At some point, most cars will probably be built in China too.

All comes down to whether any countries out there want to make a stand........... or just keep doing what they are doing and having China eat their lunch.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: JordanN and rorepmE

Sacred

Aug 22, 2018

This genius is clearly the best person to ask on foreign economics and currency evaluations.

JordanN

Gold Member
Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
All comes down to whether any countries out there want to make a stand........... or just keep doing what they are doing and having China eat their lunch.
I'm in favor of doing something about this now before China becomes more powerful.

Just look at the ongoing protests in Hong Kong (one of the last vestiges of Chinese democracy outside of Taiwan). Or their new social credit system. That's going to be the future of the West if we let China continue to run the show with zero impunity.

We also have the luck of automation on our side. The faster we start building our own robots to make cheap shit at home, the more panicky China will get if other nations become self sufficient.

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
Right now we still have a lot of leverage in the world economy but we won't always have that. Now is the time to use that leverage instead of bending over for China on every. single. deal. That's my issue with China trade. If we can achieve balanced trade that benefits BOTH partners. That would be ideal. Nothing wrong with having a prosperous China at all.
That's the important thing to remember imo: China isn't interested in fair trade or the protection of IPs. Therefore, they have to be treated accordingly. If they ever decide to act fairly and want to engage honestly, then I'd be all for it. We either take this on now when there's still time to stop them, or we elect another 2 or 3 dick suckers to the White House and the ship will have sailed in 15 years. Time is short.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019
Record breaking employment.
Record breaking employment for minorities.
Getting UN members to finally pay dues.
Standing up to China currency manipulation.
Getting US exports into Japan, China and other places historically against American imports.
Putting pressure on Iran.
Putting pressure on NK.
Putting pressure on VZ.
Working to solve the immigration crisis.
Lowering taxes.
Promoting free trade.
Killing strangulating business regs.
Promoting american ingenuity and exceptionalism.
Rebuilding our highways.
Rebuilding and modernizing our military.
Taking us to mars.

Yeah this guy sucks!

Reactions: rorepmE and pramod

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
Getting US exports into Japan, China and other places historically against American imports.
Putting pressure on NK.
Putting pressure on VZ.
Lowering taxes.
Promoting free trade.
Rebuilding our highways.
Taking us to mars.

Yeah this guy sucks!
Yep, worst president ever!

This is why I think ultimately the Libs are fucking screwed next year. A president runs for re-election on his accomplishments. Trump has a ton, the Liberals have very few. The public may not like him as a person, but it's still possible to be an unlikeable person and still have very high marks with regard to how you're doing your job. In a one on one match up and people start to hear all the fucked shit the Libs are peddling, it's completely over if it comes down to the issues.

Reactions: Eiknarf

womfalcs3

May 11, 2007
Putting pressure on NK.
Putting pressure on VZ.
Lowering taxes.
Promoting free trade.
Rebuilding our highways.
Taking us to mars.

Yeah this guy sucks!
The employment trend was started in 2010. I guess thanks to Trump for continuing Obama's economy.
Lower taxes are a case of short-term gain for long-term pain.

How is putting the pressure on Iran, NK, and VZ working out? FAIL. Sad.

The rest are fictitious achievements.... "promoting free trade"? lmao.

bucyou

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2018
The employment trend was started in 2010. I guess thanks to Trump for continuing Obama's economy.

says the clown who posts about stuff and when confronted, retreats and admits they "need to do some reading"

No one should take you seriously

(hint: they dont)

🤡

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019

Still trying to win the 2016 election, I see

Every
Single
Thing
You
Replied
With
Is
Wrong

btgorman

Jul 26, 2009
I’ll do you a favor for your ignorance. Here’s probably the foremost expert strategist on geopolitics that’s available to the public.

China is undergoing extremely high inflation (and social upheaval in Hong Kong)

He’s been saying that the US will pull back from freely maintaining global security

He’s written books about it

Trump or not, the US relationship with China will never be the same

Last edited:

Dontero

Gold Member
Apr 19, 2018
Studies are worth shit when it comes to politics. If politics was something you can study and get good at then you would see presidents being professors of politics.

Your post also kind of show how Chinese system is superior to democracy. In democracy you need to care about NOW because your political enemies will not give you way to plan for tomorrow so taking a hit to economy for future benefits is not an option and people like you who think about current day will ignore what it does for future.

Chinese always plan longtherm. If they need to take a hit they will and will ignore dissidents.

Sign

Jun 4, 2012
I’ll do you a favor for your ignorance. Here’s probably the foremost expert strategist on geopolitics that’s available to the public.

He’s been saying that the US will pull back from freely maintaining global security

For anyone who is interested, here is a talk Peter Zeihan gave somewhat recently. I think it is a pretty grounded look at the future.

MrTickles

Feb 22, 2018
China is the Trump supporters muh Russia. Muh Chyna.

Every failure, every step back and every inability to stall relative decline is all America's doing. Blame muh murica for being shit, not China for playing you like a drum.

Last edited:

gunslikewhoa

Mar 3, 2014
China is the Trump supporters muh Russia. Muh Chyna.

Every failure, every step back and every inability to stall relative decline is all America's doing. Blame muh murica for being shit, not China for playing you like a drum.
Nothing to see here, folks. Just carry on ignoring China's antics for a couple more decades.

• Fire
Reactions: NickFire

MrTickles

Feb 22, 2018
They we're 'japanese' antics in the late 80's. Superior products and corporate maneuvering. But unlike japan, China can't be forced to willfully destroy its own semiconductor and high tech sectors for the benefit of US firms. Japan was forced into compliance.

Seems you have met your match. There's no strong arming China. Evolve or get left behind. They're out competing you.

iamblades

Mar 5, 2007

Zeihan can be a bit simplistic and deterministic in some of his analysis, but the fact that he doesn't come at the issues from an ideological perspective means he is more accurate than basically anyone else I have seen about the broad strokes.

Everyone interested in geopolitics should read his books, If he is even half right going forward things are going to get very spooky in the next few decades.