• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump's Federal Government failure on coronavirus

Arkage

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
On testing failures:

Why the United States declined to use the WHO test, even temporarily as a bridge until the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention could produce its own test, remains a perplexing question and the key to the Trump administration’s failure to provide enough tests to identify the coronavirus infections before they could be passed on, according to POLITICO interviews with dozens of viral-disease experts, former officials and some officials within the administration’s health agencies.

The slowness of the testing regimen — which, administration officials acknowledged this week, is still not producing enough tests to meet the national demand — was the first, and most sweeping, of many failures.

Neither the CDC nor the coronavirus task force chaired by Vice President Mike Pence would say who made the decision to forgo the WHO test and instead begin a protracted process of producing an American test, one that got delayed by manufacturing problems, possible lab contamination and logistical delays.

The Trump administration and health officials knew back in January that this coronavirus was going to be a major threat. They knew that tests needed to be distributed across the country to understand where there might be outbreaks. But across the month of February, as my colleague David Lim at Politico first reported, the tests that they sent out to labs across the country simply did not work. They were coming back with errors.

The CDC, the Centers for Disease Control, recognized that and promised that new tests would be distributed soon. But one day turned into two days turned into three days turned into several weeks, and in the meantime, we know now coronavirus was silently spreading in different communities, like Seattle. By the time that the Trump administration made a decision to allow new tests to be developed by hospitals by clinical laboratories, it was a step that was seen as multiple weeks late. And now as we talk in March, there are concerns that maybe there aren't enough materials to keep producing tests down the line - so a series of planning failures and missed opportunities to really get ahead of a problem.

The Trump administration has argued that there's a surplus of tests, that anyone who wants a test can get one. And there is some truth to that. Now tests have been churned out. But the sheer number of people who can run these tests, the number of labs that can perform them, right now it's still fairly limited. And even if there is raw supply for now, there are only so many labs that can do the tests and deliver results.
On Trump contradicting medical experts:

But at many times, administration officials have seemed to be under political pressure to minimize the risks of the coronavirus, partly to fall in line with the president’s own statements. Trump has often downplayed the severity of the outbreak, contradicting the top government scientists squirming right by his side. At other times, health officials have outlined the risks of a major epidemic while Trump’s economic officials, eyeing the plunging stock markets, have insisted that everything’s under control.

“We have contained this,” White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow insisted to a television interviewer on Feb. 25. “I won’t say airtight but pretty close.”

Two days later, the CDC reported the first case of community transmission, meaning there was no known link to any travel. More would follow.

The president has made a number of false claims, spread misinformation and frankly has hindered the overall government response, whether that was the president claiming that the number of cases would go from 15 to near zero, which - every official I talked to said was not the case. Officials have been preparing for two months for this to sweep across the United States, and the president misled the American people by suggesting that this was under control when, by all accounts, it was never going to be. He has created an environment where his aides have been afraid to tell him bad news, and that has skewed what the Trump administration ends up pursuing. If the president is only willing to look at the most optimistic scenario, it makes it very hard to do worst-case planning.
On Trump giving the public incorrect policy information at various times:

On Wednesday night, nearly two months after the first U.S. case of novel coronavirus was detected, President Trump finally treated this outbreak with the seriousness it deserves. He's given press conferences where he said the cases would effectively go away. He has posted tweets, even on Monday where he compared this to the flu. This is not the flu. The flu does not lead the National Basketball Association, the NBA, to suspend its season.

I think it's a positive that the president seems to finally realize the severity of the problem. Unfortunately, his short remarks contained a lot of mistakes and misinformation. The president said that travel from Europe would be suspended for 30 days. That wasn't completely correct. The White House had to immediately walk that back. U.S. citizens and their families and legal permanent residents can still come back. The president said that cargo would be banned from Europe. That would have been a huge blow to the economy, especially given that some crucial medical supplies come from the EU. But it turned out that Trump misspoke again; cargo will still be allowed.

The president said that health insurers had waived the cost of treatment for coronavirus. That's no small thing. Patients who are afflicted can end up in the hospital for weeks. That could have been a multibillion-dollar decision. But as my Politico colleague Sarah Owermohle first reported, insurers had only waived the cost of testing, and that had already been established in White House meetings.

There is also a bunch of staff level infighting described in the NPR interview between Trump's various underlings for Medicare, CDC, and HHS, which contributed to the lack of action and general discord of the federal government on this issue for nearly two months until Pence was appointed to lead the effort. The buck stops with Trump, and his administrations continual blunders and denial throughout January and most of February has taken us to where we are now.

Quotes are from these sources:

Last edited:

Vicetrailia

Mar 12, 2019
Yeah Trump didn't do a perfect job that's for sure. I think it's mainly his Twitter outings that made him look bad.

But all is well if we can get the stimulus out and provide protection for workers and employers. I know people in healthcare who are only working 20 hours now, but will lose insurance if they don't work 24 hours so they have to use their sick/vacation time to make it up. So it's tricky, just gotta act fast on that stuff.

Last edited:

Cravis

Gold Member
Aug 18, 2006
We are in uncharted territory. What is going on is unprecedented in the United States. I think he is doing a damn fine job.

Hindsight is 20/20 but with certain people of the political spectrum he could personally create the cure and they would still find something to bitch about. That’s why articles like this I lump in the same category with those National Enquirer articles thst always talk about aliens or bat boy (oh yeah bat boy, I went there. deal with it lol)

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
Imagine getting mad because the president tells people to do the right things and not to panic.

Imagine wanting the president to outright say on national television that a couple hundred thousand to a few million older Americans may die in the next 6 months.

Imagine most of your grevious examples being a couple statements from one speech and not actions taken.

How embarrassing.

Last edited:

gamerMan

Jun 10, 2014
toybuzz.org
During these times, mistakes are going to happen and leaders will be judged by who made the fewest mistakes and had the best response. Just a week ago most people in the United States including the administration didn't take this seriously.

Now we have health care workers on the frontline that don't even have the necessary protection to fight this. The CDC botched the initial test instead of using the testing kit by the World Health Organization, losing valuable time. Closing the borders is not enough when there is a massive sized hole inside of your ship and you don't even know about it. Testing, Testing, Testing!

To find out how your government's response was you have to look at the number of tests conducted by millions of people. The South Korean government has had the best response and the United States has had one of the worse responses. Still, I'm glad the Trump administration took that turn and I'm praying it won't be too late. Time will tell if the United States can make up ground.

Last edited:

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
During these times, mistakes are going to happen and leaders will be judged by who made the fewest mistakes and had the best response. Just a week ago most people in the United States including the administration didn't take this seriously. The CDC botched the initial test instead of using the testing kit by the World Health Organization, losing valuable time.

To find out how your government's response was you have to look at the number of tests conducted by millions of people. The South Korean government has had the best response and the United States has had one of the worse responses. Still, I'm glad the Trump administration took that turn and I'm praying it won't be too late. Time will tell if the United States can make up ground.

Wait... your criteria for evaluating "best response" is to look at the number of tests done per one million people? So, Italy comes in 2nd place according to you despite having more official deaths than any other nation on the planet?

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Where are all the articles about Italy and their massive fuck ups. Right now every other country is way behind Italy. They will require a big jump in exponential growth. I am not saying it can't happen, but Spain is like 50% behind where Italy was as far as deaths compared to case numbers. Itally had like 4 times as many deaths at this point in time, 600 compare to the US 150 or so.

Yet I don't even know the Italians PM's name, heck I don't even know if its a PM or a President over there. Do they even have a government? Because I have seen more ink on Trump calling it the China virus over raking Italy's leaders over the coals for how out of hand its gotten there. They are a few days away from closing their hospitals and letting people die on the street.

Trumps words mean little, he was clearly lieing to keep people calm, thats what a leader does. It must of weighed heavily on him knowing his team was telling him that there isn't really much he could do from preventing a Hubei situation, just flatten the curve out.

And one thing is in the US the states have lots of powers. Thats how the system works. The states need to work with the federal government but they have to put in the leg work. Its why Cali can have all its crazy laws and stupidity. Trump could of brow beaten the states do to what he wants and been called authoritarian, or he could work with them like he is doing now.

As far as tests, well where are those tests made that the WHO was offering to supply? I will stand corrected if I am wrong but wouldn't surprise me if they were made in China. Ya lets give China more leverage on t he US so it can cut of tests at any point because Trump called it the Kung Flu. More china dependance from the pandemic they created is surely the best move. And if they aren't made in China I still don't trust the WHO. If it was up to the WHO Trump would not have banned travel from China at the end of Jan and you would of had infected Chinese nationals flooding into the US.

But this is just TDS mixed with doing what the CCP handlers are demanding. Truth is everyone across the globe was put 20 feet behind the starting line because the CCP lied and covered up the virus.

Bootzilla

Banned
Dec 19, 2019
Spending two weeks telling everyone it's fine and it's going away soon certainly does not seem prudent in retrospect, and we could have done a lot more to get testing early and supply chain in place for needed equipment.

None of this would have meant we could dodge the bullet entirely but being more prepared on this would have paid huge dividends in softening the blow.

It really just really reinforces the problem with "alternative facts." Trump is a guy who trusts his own feelings above any and all information and there are times where you just can't do that. Ideally a president should never make decisions that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Miku Miku

oatmeal

Jun 17, 2007
Thanks Politico! I'm sure it's fact-filled and not at all taken out of context!

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Where are all the articles about Italy and their massive fuck ups. Right now every other country is way behind Italy. They will require a big jump in exponential growth. I am not saying it can't happen, but Spain is like 50% behind where Italy was as far as deaths compared to case numbers. Itally had like 4 times as many deaths at this point in time, 600 compare to the US 150 or so.

Yet I don't even know the Italians PM's name, heck I don't even know if its a PM or a President over there. Do they even have a government? Because I have seen more ink on Trump calling it the China virus over raking Italy's leaders over the coals for how out of hand its gotten there. They are a few days away from closing their hospitals and letting people die on the street.

Trumps words mean little, he was clearly lieing to keep people calm, thats what a leader does. It must of weighed heavily on him knowing his team was telling him that there isn't really much he could do from preventing a Hubei situation, just flatten the curve out.

And one thing is in the US the states have lots of powers. Thats how the system works. The states need to work with the federal government but they have to put in the leg work. Its why Cali can have all its crazy laws and stupidity. Trump could of brow beaten the states do to what he wants and been called authoritarian, or he could work with them like he is doing now.

As far as tests, well where are those tests made that the WHO was offering to supply? I will stand corrected if I am wrong but wouldn't surprise me if they were made in China. Ya lets give China more leverage on t he US so it can cut of tests at any point because Trump called it the Kung Flu. More china dependance from the pandemic they created is surely the best move. And if they aren't made in China I still don't trust the WHO. If it was up to the WHO Trump would not have banned travel from China at the end of Jan and you would of had infected Chinese nationals flooding into the US.

But this is just TDS mixed with doing what the CCP handlers are demanding. Truth is everyone across the globe was put 20 feet behind the starting line because the CCP lied and covered up the virus.
According to leftist logic, Italy is handling it well.

It doesn't matter how many people get infected or how many die. All that matters is test kits

Apr 27, 2018
East USA
Because only laws and regulations can stop a pandemic from happening.

We hear the same crap from leftists about climate change. Is there anything your folk can do other than use more government influence?

Yeah he has seriously fucked up the handling of this whole mess. I just hope he is held accountable for it all come election time.
All he needs to do is mention Italy and he'll be fine.

Last edited:

GamingKaiju

Oct 24, 2014
Most governments are going to be heavily criticised over their handling of Corona and Trump is no exception. Nothing like this has happened since the Spanish influenza of 1910 and with globalisation and a variety of more ways to travel the globe now it is was always going to spread.

At the end of the day this is a virus and viruses like humans are irrational and unpredictable if Trump had stopped all travel most would have sat there calling him a racist, look at the media calling him racist for calling it the Chinese flu, could you imagine the outrage if he had closed the borders.

If you are wanting to blame or pin the current outbreak on someone than you are better putting your efforts into voting for people that want to move away from having a reliance on China and would work with other nations that want to do the same. Covid has changed things globally now, how the world views China, how we put most of our manufacturing into China, remember the old saying never put all your eggs in one basket well Western nations have done just that and what a mess it has made.

Point is no matter who was in charge of your Country is/will make mistakes and they’ll be judged harshly for it. This is the stuff that can make or break a leader and hindsight is a bitch don’t judge so harshly because the other guy could have done things worse.

Last edited:

rorepmE

Jan 20, 2019
Republic of Val Verde
WHO testing kits?

The same WHO that tweeted this nugget...?

South Korea took a risk, releasing briskly vetted tests, then circling back later to spot check their effectiveness. By contrast, the United States’ FDA said it wanted to ensure, upfront, that the tests were accurate before they went out to millions of Americans.

“There are always opportunities to learn from situations like this one,” FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn, who has been on the job only three months, told Reuters. “But one thing I will stand firm on: We cannot compromise on the quality of the tests because what would be worse than no tests at all is wildly inaccurate test results.”

In the aftermath of the 2015 outbreak of MERS, short for the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, critics slammed then-President Park Geun-hye and her administration for a slow response and a lack of transparency. Public confidence waned in Park, who was impeached in 2017 following an unrelated corruption scandal.
So basically US followed protocol and rules while South Korea activated their "Fuck the Law" plan that they have been planning since they got MERS in 2015.

Last edited:

Teletraan1

May 17, 2012
Canada
would have been helpful to not call it a hoax
Would be helpful if you looked into things before spreading false information. He called the game that the democrats and the media and this thread are attempting to do. Blame him for the outbreak as their new hoax. Like the russiagate hoax and the ukraine hoax. He wasn't calling the virus itself a hoax.

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
Arkage Arkage , you like Politifact, right?

Give this a read, too:

"No discussions occurred between WHO and CDC about WHO providing COVID-19 tests to the United States," said WHO spokeswoman Margaret Harris. "This is consistent with experience since the United States does not ordinarily rely on WHO for reagents or diagnostic tests because of sufficient domestic capacity."

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
As far as testing goes, are you supposed to get it every day?

If I get tested today negative and then take the bus to get groceries with some guy who just came back from Italy then wouldn't I have to be tested again?

I think it was one of the Israeli health ministers who said testing is great for screening but its not a silver bullet. But talk about a blunder they got 100K tests but they were incomplete. So hey you could be instead of not having tests be complaining about get crappy ones LOL.

On some good news

British company diagnostics.ai, whose research and development is entirely based in Herzliya, is already providing labs in the UK and US with their advanced diagnostic technique, employing artificial intelligence for faster and more accurate results, Brian Glenville, chairman of diagnostics.ai and former head of heart surgery at Hadassah-University Medical Center, told The Jerusalem Post.

Work smarter not harder as the saying goes.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Apr 9, 2009
Good read, thanks for posting.

Sounds like lab testing & clinical trials could use deregulations, at least under the pretense of a potential pandemic. Protocol reviews and quality control can always be done later, sometimes swift action is needed.

Reactions: Miku Miku

Afro Republican

GAF>INTERNET>GAF, BITCHES
Aug 24, 2016
Even Ilhan Omar and nyc Cuomo are praising the president you lost.

As soon as he stabilizes the economy he'll be a hero to most voters and Biden may as well not show up and stay home with his record player In Nov.

Reelection is not going nowhere. Cry moar. ;)

Reactions: Oner

daveonezero

Nov 19, 2018
What is ist?

Government can't do anything because not every one agrees with the methods.
Or
It's one persons fault for not allowing government to work the way you want.

Miku Miku

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2018
Pretty informative article. Gives me a better idea of some of the mistakes.

Admitting mistakes just means that you're learning, and can do better next time. That seems to be exactly why South Korea handled it well.

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
As far as testing goes, are you supposed to get it every day?

If I get tested today negative and then take the bus to get groceries with some guy who just came back from Italy then wouldn't I have to be tested again?

I think it was one of the Israeli health ministers who said testing is great for screening but its not a silver bullet. But talk about a blunder they got 100K tests but they were incomplete. So hey you could be instead of not having tests be complaining about get crappy ones LOL.
This is the exact concern I heard professed by a doctor on a Japanese TV show last night. He pointed out the obvious that a test can only tell you whether or not you were positive or negative at the time of the testing. Since it takes a bit to get the results, you may have caught Coronavirus after you took the test, which would come back positive. A positive test also, obviously, does not mean you won't get it at any point in the future. He argued that people who don't show symptoms should not be getting tested as it could only instill a false sense of security in them and risk furthering the spread of the disease.

I honestly don't get the obsession with mass testing, especially since we're now telling *everyone* to stay home as much as possible and especially if you're sick at all. It's not like you're going to get different advice based on the results of a test.

Last edited:
Reactions: cryptoadam

Miku Miku

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2018
This is the exact concern I heard professed by a doctor on a Japanese TV show last night. He pointed out the obvious that a test can only tell you whether or not you were positive or negative at the time of the testing. Since it takes a bit to get the results, you may have caught Coronavirus after you took the test, which would come back positive. A positive test also, obviously, does not mean you won't get it at any point in the future. He argued that people who don't show symptoms should not be getting tested as it could only instill a false sense of security in them and risk furthering the spread of the disease.

I honestly don't get the obsession with mass testing, especially since we're now telling *everyone* to stay home as much as possible and especially if you're sick at all. It's not like you're going to get different advice based on the results of a test.
Drive through testing sounds pretty cool. Just zip by and test yourself again if you think you have it and missed it the first time. And if they did mass testing like this early enough, they would be able to pinpoint cities that had it, and test people in those regions more heavily, even without symptoms.

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
I'm quickly realizing that we're going to have to have a come to Jesus moment in the next few weeks. This disease is not going away. It might wither away in warmer weather, but it may not. It may not be as quickly spread, but it's not going to disappear. We cannot hide away like moles; I heard some fucking retard say something about 18 month quarantine, which is ridiculous -- there'd be nothing to come back to. In a couple weeks, healthy people are going to have to report back to work -- together -- with the knowledge that they may contract a troublesome disease just like they could contract a number of other troublesome diseases. There's gonna be a biological throw down, and we have to have that fight -- we can't fucking hide away like a bunch of bitches and hope for it to go away. We have to face it, just as our species has faced a number of deadly bugs before. We have to keep the economy chugging away and put our best minds to the task of trying to fucking neuter this thing. Any idea that we can hide away for longer than a few weeks is fucking laughable.

Last edited:

Kreios

Oct 5, 2010
U.S.
It’s great when you can blame an entire government’s screwup on one guy, but I suppose that is usually the president’s job isn’t it?