• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump's Federal Government failure on coronavirus

Jonsoncao

Dec 10, 2006
Irvine, CA
The problem with Trump being president is that the left take Trump too literally.

For example, "Just like a flu bro, down to 0 by April", and the left just constantly claim Trump spreading misinformation. I mean come on, even his most avid supporters won't believe that stupid shit. Even it is "just like a flu", the number will increase b/c it is contagious. However, action-wise, the Trump administration did ban travelling from China, put up a task force, and shut down the economy.

Yet, there was indeed one unwitting yet critical failure this administration could have avoided back in March.

Trump mis-read his speech back in early March banning flights from Europe, which causes misunderstanding and lots of Americans flying back panicked from Europe, where the outbreak already began. Knowing asymptomatic people are most contagious (please check my post history I posted a Nature paper co-studied in EU) and the major mutations of SARS-Cov-2 are from the strains in Italy and Spain (https://nextstrain.org/ncov please sort by country), with hindsight, this unwitting mistake cost a lot.

If you guys have been following the John Hopkins SARS-Cov-2 dashboard, you will be amazed that back in mid-Feb, this pandemic seemingly was under control while everyone cut connection with China. Italy tracked down every carrier flew back from China. Yet, having several weeks with no new cases, suddenly, the number jumps to 10k only days after 2 people were confirmed in Lombardy.

In fact, IMHO, this lack of strong measures put in the first place is caused by the Federal-States structures. I wouldn't be surprised if another president would do even worse than Trump. It is just another president probably won't have "just like a flu" for people to bite on and trash.

TheContact

Gold Member
Jan 22, 2016
Trump is actually profiting from golfing during the last month while he downplayed the coronavirus while he pretends he gives a shit about this country but really only cares about his image during this pandemic. And you can give me whatever shit you want but I’m considered emergency personnel and I’m daily becoming in contact with people who are being tested positive for the virus while at the end of the day I come home and have to take extreme precautions just to say hi to my wife and my kids before I come through our door and I wish I could say trump is doing an admiral job but he simply is not—he downplayed the virus at the beginning stages because he thought it would affect HIM and not all of US and so here we are. My boss is quarantine. 7 of my co workers are in quarantine. Soon I will probably be in quarantine. The national guard was called into my facility to take over because there have been so many cases and we are considered an essential business. But I show up to work every day because I’m doing my duty as ordered to show up every day and make sure that that we function as a state and keep steady the safety of our public; but I don’t want to feel like I’m just an expendable body and sadly that’s how I feel

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
man, the media can't help themselves everything about this has to be to get Trump. they will straight up joke about sick people as the numbers climb in real time just to call him a joke.

these ships are mainly to relieve the strain on overcrowded hospitals.

i guess fuck Trump because it's not an impressively large number of sick people?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
man, the media can't help themselves everything about this has to be to get Trump. they will straight up joke about sick people as the numbers climb in real time just to call him a joke.

They are morally and ethically bankrupt. It’s what these ideologies do to you, the fry your brain and make you look at others like they’re not even human, exploiting those tribal recesses not unlike gang mentality.

TheContact

Gold Member
Jan 22, 2016
Trump downplayed the virus while he knew it was an issue in order to save his economy, not the people. He kept holding rallys while saying the 15 cases we had would be down to 0. He kept golfing at his own resorts which we paid for as tax payers (but it’s OK right because he said he would give his check away), then when it became way too late he said it was Obama’s fault for inhereting a bad system (which was abandoned and re developed after Obama left office btw), because emperor trump can never be wrong about anything, and his mindless followers keep praising him as God from their homes while the sit unemployed and safe from any dangers.

TheSadRanger

Sep 5, 2013
Mckinney,TX

these ships are mainly to relieve the strain on overcrowded hospitals.

i guess fuck Trump because it's not an impressively large number of sick people?
The ships didn't want to take covid patients. 🤷‍♀️ 🤷‍♀️ I watched the press briefing (I'm one of two people actually who actually watched the Navy presser).

Neither ship is taking covid patients and if any patient is found to be infected after being brought aboard then they're taken off. I don't know if it's a Trump thing or Navy thing. Technically he could order them to take Covid patients. Hospitals have areas sealed off to treat non covid patients.

Take it how you will, just stating the facts.

Reactions: crowbrow

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
Trump downplayed the virus while he knew it was an issue in order to save his economy,
I stopped right there. That makes no sense.

The ships didn't want to take covid patients. 🤷‍♀️ 🤷‍♀️ I watched the press briefing (I'm one of two people actually who actually watched the Navy presser).

Neither ship is taking covid patients and if any patient is found to be infected after being brought aboard then they're taken off. I don't know if it's a Trump thing or Navy thing. Technically he could order them to take Covid patients. Hospitals have areas sealed off to treat non covid patients.

Take it how you will, just stating the facts.
The whole point of the ships was that they would handle the medical needs of non-COVID patients so the hospitals could focus on them.

Last edited:

TheContact

Gold Member
Jan 22, 2016

The whole point of the ships was that they would handle the medical needs of non-COVID patients so the hospitals could focus on them.
he knew about it back in late January and downplayed it into late February. Why is that so difficult for you to comprehend I can give you a literal daily breakdown of his actions from that time until today if that will help you understand. Or just stop reading, because cognitive dissonance hurts your brain.

• LOL
Reactions: matt404au

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
The fact that you had Dr. Birx yesterday say that everyone (including the medical community) believed that this disease was more like SARS (serious, but not critical) due to China's deceptive reporting on the disease says this isn't a Trump issue, but one brought on by China. No one had anything else other than China's word to go on because China wouldn't let Trump send doctors to Wuhan (this was before they kicked the reporters out too).

The fact that frothers like The Contact are trying to turn this into a Trump failing while ignoring that it was China's lies that everyone had to take at face value because there was no other data to follow and China wouldn't allow anyone in shows just how disingenuous these people are. They give a pass to the villains who fucked up the world and instead want another go at the Orange Man:

Everyone thought this was just another case of the flu. That's why Pelosi told people to go for a night out in Chinatown. That's why Cuomo did the same thing. That's why the Frisco mayor said to go out and have a good time. And so on and so on and so on. That's also why they played the race card when Trump closed the borders -- they didn't think it was that serious. China and their stooges at the WHO were telling people it couldn't pass from human to human.

Last edited:

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
he knew about it back in late January and downplayed it into late February. Why is that so difficult for you to comprehend I can give you a literal daily breakdown of his actions from that time until today if that will help you understand. Or just stop reading, because cognitive dissonance hurts your brain.
If he had any real clue how serious this would get and what would be required to deal with it, why would he downplay it, making the longterm situation worse across the board if he was trying to "save his economy." Did you think about what you wrote at all before hitting the Post reply button?

Reactions: HeresJohnny

TheContact

Gold Member
Jan 22, 2016
If he had any real clue how serious this would get and what would be required to deal with it, why would he downplay it, making the longterm situation worse across the board if he was trying to "save his economy." Did you think about what you wrote at all before hitting the Post reply button?
because panic would leads to a severe drop in the stock market (as it has) and thus the economy, and if there’s one thing trump has held up high the last few years it’s been the economy. Even now during his cornovoris press briefings he talks about how great the economy was up until the virus took hold.

Last edited:

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
The fact that you had Dr. Birx yesterday say that everyone (including the medical community) believed that this disease was more like SARS (serious, but not critical) due to China's deceptive reporting on the disease says this isn't a Trump issue, but one brought on by China. No one had anything else other than China's word to go on because China wouldn't let Trump send doctors to Wuhan (this was before they kicked the reporters out too).

The fact that frothers like The Contact are trying to turn this into a Trump failing while ignoring that it was China's lies that everyone had to take at face value because there was no other data to follow and China wouldn't allow anyone in shows just how disingenuous these people are. They give a pass to the villains who fucked up the world and instead want another go at the Orange Man:

Everyone thought this was just another case of the flu. That's why Pelosi told people to go for a night out in Chinatown. That's why Cuomo did the same thing. That's why the Frisco mayor said to go out and have a good time. And so on and so on and so on. That's also why they played the race card when Trump closed the borders -- they didn't think it was that serious. China and their stooges at the WHO were telling people it couldn't pass from human to human.
I remember the exact day when people around here started to take it seriously. February 29th, when the Kirkland, WA nursing home announced the first deaths in the country and it quickly became clear that there was massive community spread. Within the week, a lot of the companies in the area started asking employees to work from home and school districts started announcing closures.

because panic would leads to a severe drop in the stock market (as it has) and thus the economy, and if there’s one thing trump has held up high the last few years it’s been the economy. Even now during his cornovoris press briefings he talks about how great the economy was up until the virus took hold.
And it was... But if that's all he really cared about, and he knew full well how bad things would get, it would have been idiotic to not have been more proactive. Either he didn't know the extent of things (this is what I think is the truth, since it's obvious most of the world did not know), or he didn't actually care so much about the economy and was just maliciously trying to kill people, which is absurd.

Last edited:

TheContact

Gold Member
Jan 22, 2016
I remember the exact day when people around here started to take it seriously. February 29th, when the Kirkland, WA nursing home announced the first deaths in the country and it quickly became clear that there was massive community spread. Within the week, a lot of the companies in the area started asking employees to work from home and school districts started announcing closures.

And it was... But if that's all he really cared about, and he knew full well how bad things would get, it would have been idiotic to not have been more proactive. Either he didn't know the extent of things (this is what I think is the truth, since it's obvious most of the world did not know), or he didn't actually care so much about the economy and was just maliciously trying to kill people, which is absurd.
he downplayed it as long as he possibly could until it was inevitable that he had to give in instead of acknowledging in the beginning what a problem it was. I’ll provide a timeline for you tomorrow which will clarify this. For now I’m going to bed.

Reactions: darkestdame

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
he downplayed it as long as he possibly could until it was inevitable that he had to give in instead of acknowledging in the beginning what a problem it was. I’ll provide a timeline for you tomorrow which will clarify this. For now I’m going to bed.
I'm pretty sure I know the timeline of events better than you, so please do not bother. I'm not talking about a timeline. You said he downplayed it to "save his economy" and I just pointed out what an illogical assertion that is. If you want to respond to that point, please do, but no one needs your timeline.

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
The Democrats have made a tactical gambit on this tragedy. If Trump had lost his cool and freaked everyone out, then he would've been a terrible leader incapable of calming the country during a tragedy. Since he instead elected to try to assure people based on the evidence he knew (which has been changing literally every day since this started) he's been a cheerleader for Wall and Broad, putting money above lives. They say "Trump's not gonna listen to the doctors" and then when he does they go right back to saying how poorly he's handling it due to the infection rates going up from increased testing. Instead of rallying behind the president these fucking clowns are still playing Washington games (remember Pelosi riding her broom in and fucking up the stimulus deal and delaying aid even further by trying to somehow tie aid for people to the Green New Deal). Now, they're going to have the man who repeatedly accused the president of being a Russian agent -- a bold-faced fucking lie -- responsible for the after action report. Of course, the Democrat after action report won't be how to stop this from happening again. It'll be 600 pages of Orange Man Bad.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013

Looks like Trump still has ODS.
They have had coronavirus test kits for years. Coronavirus has been known about since the 60s.

It’s been warned by a Hong Kong university for a pandemic outbreak about China’s practices with a paper in 2007.

So they have had kits, they just didn’t have the proper or effective ones. Something we have been finding out all over the world. I bet those very same defective kits that China were sending out, where the same ones that we’ve had for a long while as well.

Last edited:

Mass Shift

Jun 12, 2019
They have had coronavirus test kits for years. Coronavirus has been known about since the 60s.

It’s been warned by a Hong Kong university about China’s practices with a paper in 2007.

So they have had kits, they just didn’t have the proper or effective ones.
True and the guidance kept changing. A quicker response might have helped with that but not the test kit shortage.

Man! We couldn't have called South Korea in January? They were running tests and successfully identifying back then. Could have helped with guidance at least.

Reactions: Tesseract

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
True and the guidance kept changing. A quicker response might have helped with that but not the test kit shortage.

Man! We couldn't have called South Korea in January? They were running tests and successfully identifying back then. Could have helped with guidance at least.
True, which is why the WHO should be torn down and not listened to. They are clearly compromised.

crowbrow

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
If he had any real clue how serious this would get and what would be required to deal with it, why would he downplay it, making the longterm situation worse across the board if he was trying to "save his economy."
Couldn't the same reason be applied to China though? You all shit on China because of downplaying the initial response but practically every country in the world did. Many even after others had taken the matters seriously.

rorepmE

Jan 20, 2019
Republic of Val Verde
Couldn't the same reason be applied to China though? You all shit on China because of downplaying the initial response but practically every country in the world did. Many even after others had taken the matters seriously.
No, dipshit.

China's initial response wasn't "downplaying" anything, they were actively trying to cover it up for over two months saying there is no SARS-2. They had the scientific data. Doctors were noticing an illness that was similar to SARS was popping up all over Wuhan. They had them silenced.

Since a virus can't fly over oceans, the only way for it to get to distant lands is via international transportation. We assume that China had contained it when they in fact allowed millions out of Wuhan before the lock down. We can't even screen for it because unlike SARS-1, this new coronavirus produces asymptomatic carriers and we didn't learn that until it started spreading outside of China.

One was a full blown attempt at cover up, the other are countries taking China's word at face value while an organization that was responsible for "world health" was being used as a mouth piece for the CCP telling everyone that everything was A-OK.

crowbrow

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
China's initial response wasn't "downplaying" anything, they were actively trying to cover it up for over two months saying there is no SARS-2. They had the scientific data.
The entire world has been downplaying scientific data on the dangers of global warming, pandemics being one of those though. It's not just China ignoring scientists.

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018
The same January when the WHO and China were still claiming it couldn't transfer human to human? Or the same January where he was dealing with the kangaroo impeachment courts? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
It is a shame he isn't Voldemort, at least they'd stop using his name for every headline, every day, every year of his administration. As much as some of the news outlets seem to detest him he is still the majority of their business.

Maybe if they'd spent more time on stories about democratic successes instead of attacking the President they'd have been able to field some candidates with name recognition instead of a bunch of nobodies and has-beens.

If Trump isn't good enough to be President you'd think there'd be a long line of democractic candidates who could trounce him in an election. Instead it appears like there are zero. That means he isn't as bad as MSNBC/CNN would have you believe *OR* the democrats are just as bad or worse. Could be either one, hell it could be both.

Ultimately the democratic party is incapable of representing its own members, much less the American people. Take these four years to get your act together because you're going to get at least that many. Or you could spend them playing the coyote to Trump's road runner again and see how much respect(votes) that gets you.

Last edited:

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
On that one, I've posted before, but I think they actually thought they could contain it. I don't think this was released intentionally on the world by China as a bioweapon. They just fucked up and tried to hide it all the while.

Last edited:
Reactions: crowbrow

crowbrow

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
On that one, I've posted before, but I think they actually thought they could contain it. I don't think this was released intentionally on the world by China as a bioweapon. They just fucked up and tried to hide all the while.
I think so as well.

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
I'm glad Trump is doing things NOW... BUT.. there is a way he could have taken action without causing panic. Look at Iceland, South Korea and Taiwan... They aggressively tested, test traced and quarantined anyone who may have had the virus. They didn't have to lock down their whole countries. And they did that early on... They've got their cases down by a lot.

And they were honest with their citizens. Being honest doesn't mean whipping them into a panic. Just as Spain did back in 1918 when that version of the flu was sweeping the world, they were honest with their people and were able to not have as high a death toll as they could have had they not been honest with the people all along.

There's a way to give people hope while also telling the truth of a dangerous situation. There's MULTIPLE ways of doing that.

But that's the past and we have to look forward. And use the lessons learned to be more prepared in the future.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
I'm glad Trump is doing things NOW... BUT.. there is a way he could have taken action without causing panic. Look at Iceland, South Korea and Taiwan... They aggressively tested, test traced and quarantined anyone who may have had the virus. They didn't have to lock down their whole countries. And they did that early on... They've got their cases down by a lot.

And they were honest with their citizens. Being honest doesn't mean whipping them into a panic. Just as Spain did back in 1918 when that version of the flu was sweeping the world, they were honest with their people and were able to not have as high a death toll as they could have had they not been honest with the people all along.

There's a way to give people hope while also telling the truth of a dangerous situation. There's MULTIPLE ways of doing that.

But that's the past and we have to look forward. And use the lessons learned to be more prepared in the future.
lol Trump got blasted for doing exactly what you are suggesting, multiple times. Or did you not remember all the examples of the media saying Trump was downplaying the real issue, giving false hope, etc?

Sakura Doritos

Gold Member
Mar 18, 2018
More of a diary entry than a forum post, but whatever you have to tell yourself to keep up the nonsense.
Dear diary. 5000 dead in the US alone and there is a ground swell of nations starting to realize China knowingly deceived the world. It is only a matter of time the MSM course corrects their propaganda machine, stop worrying Trump or about a new model of cellphone, and point their focus to China.

Meanwhile, there is this person going by crowbrow on a forum I patronized who relishes his every opportunity to deflect and insert nonsensical logical fallacies to seemingly uphold their crumbling foundation to their world view.

I am not sure if this person is purposely obtuse or clinging on to some imagined ideals. Any day now, one post or another I think we’ll know what is truely behind the mask. Either a sociopath or a pitiful, scared person who masterbates quietly in the dark to the lie of corporate media.

crowbrow

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
Dear diary. 5000 dead in the US alone and there is a ground swell of nations starting to realize China knowingly deceived the world. It is only a matter of time the MSM course corrects their propaganda machine, stop worrying Trump or about a new model of cellphone, and point their focus to China.

Meanwhile, there is this person going by crowbrow on a forum I patronized who relishes his every opportunity to deflect and insert nonsensical logical fallacies to seemingly uphold their crumbling foundation to their world view.

I am not sure if this person is purposely obtuse or clinging on to some imagined ideals. Any day now, one post or another I think we’ll know what is truely behind the mask. Either a sociopath or a pitiful, scared person who masterbates quietly in the dark to the lie of corporate media.
I'm glad I'm constantly there in your dreams :messenger_blowing_kiss:

• Love
Reactions: darkestdame

womfalcs3

Banned
May 11, 2007
I'm furious right now. Why the fuck is fucking Jared Kushner in the press briefings now?????

First off, much of what he said is factually wrong. Secondly, he has NO EXPERIENCE IN ANYTHING. He just has a job that his dad gave him at his company.

Trump is trying to push Pinocchio into the world of presidential politics every chance he gets. Also, it's been reported that this little shit convinced Trump that the virus was going to go away on its own in February.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
I'm furious right now. Why the fuck is fucking Jared Kushner in the press briefings now?????

First off, much of what he said is factually wrong. Secondly, he has NO EXPERIENCE IN ANYTHING. He just has a job that his dad gave him at his company.

Trump is trying to push this puppet into the world of presidential politics every chance he gets. Also, it's been reported that this little shit convinced Trump that the virus was going to go away on its own in February.
NPCs get furious?

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018

Looks like Trump still has ODS.
Well its true though. CDC test were faulty at first. They didn't work. And the regulations made it so that CDC was the one point for testing, so once their tests failed the whole thing failed.

I don't think it can be put on Obama's shoulders and actually Trump has said repeatedly its not just on Obama, its on Bush and Clinton and everyone. The system wasn't designed for 100's of thousands/millions of test.

What if the CDC tests had worked and Trump had slashed the regulations one month earlier? Testing situation would of been a lot different.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Trump also gave his own money to people hit by tornadoes BUT HES SUCH A BAD ORANGE MAN

But are those meals vegan? or Halal? How much carbs and sugars? Clearly Orange Man wants to make people overweight and obese and get diabetes so they will die from CCP virus. And did he take into account non-binary and Trans peoples diets? He is literally killing them by not catering to their dietary choices.

Trump donating food is probably worse than the Holocaust at this point.

• LOL
Reactions: HeresJohnny

MisterFalcon

Mar 12, 2013
What if the CDC tests had worked and Trump had slashed the regulations one month earlier? Testing situation would of been a lot different.
That would mean there was a president who, a month ago, saw the problem. So not Trump.

March 9th, 25 days ago:

The Fake News Media and their partner, the Democrat Party, is doing everything within its semi-considerable power (it used to be greater!) to inflame the CoronaVirus situation, far beyond what the facts would warrant. Surgeon General, “The risk is low to the average American.”

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018

Uh oh.
Batwomen takes bat and blood samples that are positive for Horseshoe bat coronavirus (which is only found in southern China) to a lab in Wuhan. And then there is an outbreak of bat coronavirus.

But CCP wants us to believe that some seafood market and bat eaters caused this.

We should be smarter than this now, we know that when the CCP lips are moving they are lieing.

CCP says bat eaters in a market, well you know that the truth is the opposite.