• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump's Federal Government failure on coronavirus

Dec 15, 2011
We don’t really know yet, polling in a month might tell a picture. These are hypotheticals before they put out messaging. I know just the thought kills you
UK General Election in Nov 2019 is a very good example of Twitter world vs real world when it comes to major political elections and campaigns.

Squeaky wheels rarely win races.

Reactions: Zefah

darkestdame

Banned
Nov 21, 2019
What is polling going to tell us in a month? That the public thinks China and Trump are linked together?

The messaging is already out there. The message is a consistent span of time negotiating and throwing tariffs on China.
Favorability, approval, responses to the virus. The questions will be in them.

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
What's with the surge in petty political attacks over the past few weeks? Is it a calculated countermeasure to the unedited face time Trump had with the public during the daily briefings? It seems like the liberal media's in an all out offensive against the White House, doing their best to mislead and spread fake stories in order to help the Dems. It's all coming at the general public's expense.

NY Times a few days ago wrote another piece slamming Trump for spending "hours upon hours" each day watching cable news while stuffing his face with french fries and Diet Coke, which then got amplified by a number of other outlets and social media. "False hope," chloroquine/fish tank cleaner, Jared Kushner/ventilators, Pence/religion, Hope Hicks being blamed for Trump taking center stage at briefings, bleachgate... It's insanity and the people pushing this stuff are fact-averse as they always refuse to concede they're pushing misleading information.

It brings Michael Flynn's remarks the week after the 2016 election back into focus:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
What's with the surge in petty political attacks over the past few weeks? Is it a calculated countermeasure to the unedited face time Trump had with the public during the daily briefings? It seems like the liberal media's in an all out offensive against the White House, doing their best to mislead and spread fake stories in order to help the Dems. It's all coming at the general public's expense.

NY Times a few days ago wrote another piece slamming Trump for spending "hours upon hours" each day watching cable news while stuffing his face with french fries and Diet Coke, which then got amplified by a number of other outlets and social media. "False hope," chloroquine/fish tank cleaner, Jared Kushner/ventilators, Pence/religion, Hope Hicks being blamed for Trump taking center stage at briefings, bleachgate... It's insanity and the people pushing this stuff are fact-averse as they always refuse to concede they're pushing misleading information.

It brings Michael Flynn's remarks the week after the 2016 election back into focus:

Americans are starting to get over this virus so its time to put the fear back into em and to make sure they remain on hate Trump track.

Its really about beating Trump in November and if I didn't know better I think Dems are purposely trying to make things seem worse and drag this out till the election. But they can't be that calous can they?

Its also to distract from the Biden situation. They know its bad, like really bad so they are playing the Trump card. They know they can rally people up by just making up scandals against Trump. The Trump owes millions to China kinda blew up in their face but they will keep trying. Keep your eye open for the big expose on HCQ and how Trump was pushing the Feds on it.

Reactions: Sign and Joe T.

darkestdame

Banned
Nov 21, 2019
Americans are starting to get over this virus

oh god please tell me he's not using 500 person protests as a barometer.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Americans are starting to get over this virus

oh god please tell me he's not using 500 person protests as a barometer.
I mean over it as in they aren't as scared of it anymore as they were a month ago. Even look at the Corona thread on here (which I know not everyone is American) its slowing down.

I just think the general temperature is that people have moved on from the fear state and are in the acceptance state. There is a virus, its out there but thats life and I will have to live with it. The frenzy has kind of died down.

Reactions: Fun Fanboy

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018
Reactions: cryptoadam

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Apr 23, 2011
So is the argument that states got allocated PPE wrong based on their total population, or based on their number of confirmed cases? That's two different things.
It's really not.

Population density and confirmed cases has a direct correlation, same as demographic and voting habits. That's why AOC is acting stupid and saying that the virus is targeting POCs, but it's actually hitting areas where people live on top of each other and in large quantities like LA, SF, New Orleans, or NY. These are densely populated areas where the virus has run wild, but also feature heavy urban populations which tend to be blue but not all of them. I think Texas should have received more than they did, certainly more than Alaska.

From an allocation standpoint a state like Alaska doesn't need the resources they received in either confirmed COVID cases, or population. I'm not saying blue states are being targeted, which I know some people like to make that leap, I'm saying blue states have the most cases because of who lives in blue states, and the amount of PPE allocated is not correct based on either per capita NOR confirmed cases.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
How you stop this virus that has infected 25% of New York City? Number could keep going up.

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018
It's really not.

Population density and confirmed cases has a direct correlation, same as demographic and voting habits. That's why AOC is acting stupid and saying that the virus is targeting POCs, but it's actually hitting areas where people live on top of each other and in large quantities like LA, SF, New Orleans, or NY. These are densely populated areas where the virus has run wild, but also feature heavy urban populations which tend to be blue but not all of them. I think Texas should have received more than they did, certainly more than Alaska.

From an allocation standpoint a state like Alaska doesn't need the resources they received in either confirmed COVID cases, or population. I'm not saying blue states are being targeted, which I know some people like to make that leap, I'm saying blue states have the most cases because of who lives in blue states, and the amount of PPE allocated is not correct based on either per capita NOR confirmed cases.
I get what you're saying, 100%. I just don't agree that what you are saying and what you are quoting are the same thing.

I'm curious as to what your argument is between being wrong based on population vs. confirmed cases, as that leads to two different critiques/solutions.

A.) If wrong vs. population, then the proposed solution would be to allocate resources strictly via population. Your quote from your original post which I replied to implies that this is how the PPE was distributed (per capita)

B.) If wrong vs. # of cases, then the proposed solution would be to allocate resources strictly via data-driven pattern trending, to keep ahead of potential needs. I'm not sure how this could have been accomplished in real-time at the beginning, as it's clear now that everywhere was starving for supplies, all trying to pull from the same suppliers. One could argue that states who are now shown to not have outbreaks should have immediately sent all PPE to hotspots, but at the time there was no guarantee that those states wouldn't be hit as well.

The ultimate takeaway from the lack of PPE, should, in my opinion be that not having production capability and capacity stateside is the ultimate problem. The obvious solution would be to onshore production to the US, to avoid relying on an obvious enemy for supplies tied to our public health.

Reactions: Sign and cryptoadam

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018
Hurr durr only businesses which employ lots of people should go under. That will help the people who work there!

Arkage

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Look at my shocked face at this thread turns into conservative 4chan meme shitposting.

Anyway, back on topic. A little old but I doubt it's been posted:

Trump Admin was given a detailed plan by the NSC on how to deal with pandemics, timelines included, and he didn't follow it. Because Trump's gut instincts are what we should be planning around as a country.

I wonder if the plan says the virus will disappear like a Miracle?

Reactions: DarkMage619

darkestdame

Banned
Nov 21, 2019
Look at my shocked face at this thread turns into conservative 4chan meme shitposting.

Anyway, back on topic. A little old but I doubt it's been posted:

Trump Admin was given a detailed plan by the NSC on how to deal with pandemics, timelines included, and he didn't follow it. Because Trump's gut instincts are what we should be planning around as a country.

I wonder if the plan says the virus will disappear like a Miracle?
Saying China, China, China doesn’t really detract from how much they fucked up. Even just following the simple rule of stocking up on protective measures could have saved more lives.

A unified message would have also been great instead of being antagonistic towards only blue states, that’s probably a big reason why most Americans weren’t satisfied with their federal leadership.

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
Saying China, China, China doesn’t really detract from how much they fucked up. Even just following the simple rule of stocking up on protective measures could have saved more lives.

A unified message would have also been great instead of being antagonistic towards only blue states, that’s probably a big reason why most Americans weren’t satisfied with their federal leadership.
Antagonistic to the state governors that bitch and whine and expect everything to be done for them, more like it, regardless of party. You didn't see the antagonism toward California or Washington, two Blue states with governors that fucking hate Trump (and I'm sure the feeling mutual). They got along just fine working with the federal government and got their acts together. You also saw a bunch of fighting between the federal government and Larry Hogan's administration, and he's a Republican (a never-Trumper, but still a member of the party).

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
But what about this little gem in the article?

An NSC official confirmed the existence of the playbook but dismissed its value. “We are aware of the document, although it’s quite dated and has been superseded by strategic and operational biodefense policies published since,” the official said. “The plan we are executing now is a better fit, more detailed, and applies the relevant lessons learned from the playbook and the most recent Ebola epidemic in the [Democratic Republic of the Congo] to COVID-19.”

A health department spokesperson also said that the NSC playbook was not part of the current coronavirus strategy. “The HHS COVID-19 response was informed by more recent plans such as the foundation of the National Biodefense Strategy (2018), Biological Incident Annex (2017),and panCAP (2018) among other key plans provided by the CDC, White House Task Force, FEMA, and other key federal departments and agencies,” the spokesperson said.

So what happened was they followed a more updated plan, based on lessons from the playbook and a more recent epidemic?

Are we back to Trump OWES China 10's of millions of dollars? Did the playbook tell the American public to drink bleach?

Looks like we have a battle of NSC officials, I guess who you believe depends on which political lines you fall on.

Teletraan1

May 17, 2012
Canada

An NSC official confirmed the existence of the playbook but dismissed its value. “We are aware of the document, although it’s quite dated and has been superseded by strategic and operational biodefense policies published since,” the official said. “The plan we are executing now is a better fit, more detailed, and applies the relevant lessons learned from the playbook and the most recent Ebola epidemic in the [Democratic Republic of the Congo] to COVID-19.”

A health department spokesperson also said that the NSC playbook was not part of the current coronavirus strategy. “The HHS COVID-19 response was informed by more recent plans such as the foundation of the National Biodefense Strategy (2018), Biological Incident Annex (2017),and panCAP (2018) among other key plans provided by the CDC, White House Task Force, FEMA, and other key federal departments and agencies,” the spokesperson said.

So what happened was they followed a more updated plan, based on lessons from the playbook and a more recent epidemic?

Are we back to Trump OWES China 10's of millions of dollars? Did the playbook tell the American public to drink bleach?

Looks like we have a battle of NSC officials, I guess who you believe depends on which political lines you fall on.
Look at my shocked face.

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007

Dude is peddling talking points from early March. Not even worth responding. Come June he'll be talking about lysol injections, I'm sure.

darkestdame

Banned
Nov 21, 2019
Antagonistic to the state governors that bitch and whine and expect everything to be done for them, more like it, regardless of party. You didn't see the antagonism toward California or Washington, two Blue states with governors that fucking hate Trump (and I'm sure the feeling mutual). They got along just fine working with the federal government and got their acts together. You also saw a bunch of fighting between the federal government and Larry Hogan's administration, and he's a Republican (a never-Trumper, but still a member of the party).
Right. It sends a terrible message that you can’t take criticism, and will even threaten not giving those states help or communication because they’re mean to you.

Dec 15, 2011

Looks like our carpet-bombing clown neglected to read beyond the headline.

Again.

darkestdame

Banned
Nov 21, 2019
I don't believe that ever happened.

Please don't link the sound bite about him not calling the governors that weren't appreciative and leaving it up to Pence.
Right in a conversation about messaging it’s completely irrelevant.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
He should of worn a mask to conform with the policy, but to play devils advocate Pence is probably getting tested every time he shows up at the Rose Garden or for those press briefings so he probably knows he is negative. And masks don't prevent you from getting the virus, they prevent you from spreading it.

So if he doesn't have it he can't spread it, and wearing a mask isn't going to do much for him unless of course he has a full face shield or n95 mask. And then he would be taking away PPE from the hospital workers which would be spun as DRUMPF and PINCE stealing supplies from hospital workers.

darkestdame

Banned
Nov 21, 2019
He should of worn a mask to conform with the policy, but to play devils advocate Pence is probably getting tested every time he shows up at the Rose Garden or for those press briefings so he probably knows he is negative.
That’s an interesting assumption to make. What led you to that.

darkestdame

Banned
Nov 21, 2019

Did those new guidelines have anything about prioritizing PPE.

darkestdame

Banned
Nov 21, 2019
Wow I wonder who made Mayo clinic delete the tweet saying Pence knew about the mask provision after videos showing he selfishly ignored it anway.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
That’s an interesting assumption to make. What led you to that.
You don't think the President and his staff are getting tested by an abbott machine on the regular? I am also sure that Trump mentioned at one of his PC about getting tested that day but don't quote me on it cuz i don't remember the exact PC.

I guess I could be wrong, but I would think that everyone close to Trump is getting tested regularly. If not then score a point for your team because thats dumb on their part.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Did those new guidelines have anything about prioritizing PPE.
I don't know maybe Politico could write a follow up story finding out.

You do know that PPE shortages were a world wide thing and Trump literally scooped some up on a tarmac in France (which he took shit for) to get some right?

Consider that PPE is made in China and that China was hoarding supplies and got hit first the PPE shortages have a context in why they happened. But you can feel free to shit on Trump for sending supplies to China in Jan/Feb and I will agree with that just like Trudeau was a dummy for sending 16 tonnes to China.

This was an institutional problem of sending manufacturing to China and basically putting the entire supply chain in their hands. Which is why pushing for onshoreing and bringing back these types of business's is something the US should be doing. You do know that brining back factories to America was something Trump campaigned on and has been pushing for since day 1.

Reactions: Sign and DeepEnigma

womfalcs3

Banned
May 11, 2007
I remember when the Trump Defense Squad (TDS) defended Trump for musing about injecting and/or ingesting disinfectant.

That's when his incompetence reached a whole new level.

God I hope he wins the reelection bid.

Bigrx1

Banned
Dec 24, 2015
I remember when the Trump Defense Squad (TDS) defended Trump for musing about injecting and/or ingesting disinfectant.

Thread hasn't been touched in 2 weeks - oh right you were banned for low effort troll posts in politics. I honestly can say I can't tell any of you GAF TDSers apart, you all post the exact same way and post the exact same thing. Trump GOT'YA #1,435,623 will DEFINITELY own them Trumptards and Drumpf this time! The only thing you're missing is a Trump avatar to be the final touch.

womfalcs3

Banned
May 11, 2007
Thread hasn't been touched in 2 weeks - oh right you were banned for low effort troll posts in politics. I honestly can say I can't tell any of you GAF TDSers apart, you all post the exact same way and post the exact same thing. Trump GOT'YA #1,435,623 will DEFINITELY own them Trumptards and Drumpf this time! The only thing you're missing is a Trump avatar to be the final touch.
This thread should be pinned for the whole world to see. Incompetence should never be excused.

Even Obama called this administration's response a "chaotic disaster".

This administration blaming China for their incompetent response is laughable.

Last edited:

womfalcs3

Banned
May 11, 2007
Remember when Katrina hit, or during 9/11? Past presidents were at the ready to provide help.... even if only through the media. Past presidents are now remaining quiet or even bashing the current administration.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019

Is this the left attempting to meme!?! Hold on! Lemme rub my eyes and make sure!

First of all he never suggested injecting disinfectant. Second of all they said he was a crazy clown for “suggesting UV light be somehow put into the patients bodies to kill the virus”. But whaddaya know? A few days later, a report came out that researchers were experimenting with UV fiber optics for other medical treatments...bringing UV light into the human body...

Reactions: Sign

darkestdame

Banned
Nov 21, 2019
This thread should be pinned for the whole world to see. Incompetence should never be excused.

Even Obama called this administration's response a "chaotic disaster".

This administration blaming China for their incompetent response is laughable.

A new story comes out everyday. It was misstep after misstep.