• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump's Federal Government failure on coronavirus

monegames

Sep 26, 2014
The fact that Trump dissolved the office of pandemic response to move it to the White House has been said (by former heads of that office) as a move that made it more to difficult to respond.

I can't find the video online, but I saw the interview on CNN.
There was no office of pandemic response. There was the office of Global Health Security and Biodefense within the NSC.

You are probably thinking of Beth Cameron. Yet the head of the office after she left in 2017, Tim Morrison who is mentioned in the Politifact link I posted has contradicted her assessment.

phoony17

Aug 24, 2014
Regardless of whether China hid the severity of the virus or not, I think Trump's comments early on will come back to bite him.

1. 8 December 2019 : Report of the first case of pneumonia from an unknown virus in Wuhan.
  2. 31st December 2019 : China informed WHO of a new severe pneumonic infection of unknown aetiology.
  3. 10 January 2020 : Scientists in China sequenced the virus’s genome and made it available for international collaboration.
  4. 22 January 2020 : Trump, CNBC interview in Davos “No (worries). Not at all. And we have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It’s going to be just fine.”
  5. 24 January 2020 : On Jan. 24, Trump tweeted, “It will all work out well.”
  6. 30 January 2020 : Speech in Michigan : “We have it very well under control. We have very little problem in this country at this moment — five. And those people are all recuperating successfully.”
  7. 30 January 2020 : The outbreak was declared a Public Health Emergency of International Concern by WHO
  8. 31 January 2020 : Trump announced ban on foreign travelers who had been in China up to 14 days prior.
  9. 2 February : On Hannity, Trump : “Well, we pretty much shut it down coming in from China.
  10. 11 March 2020 : Trump's confusing European travel ban.
  11. 10 February 2020 : Trump repeatedly said in speeches to governors, at a campaign rally and in an interview with Trish Regan of Fox Business — that warm spring weather could kill the virus. “Looks like by April, you know, in theory, when it gets a little warmer, it miraculously goes away,”
  12. 19 February 2020 : Trump on Phoenix TV, “I think the numbers are going to get progressively better as we go along.”
  13. 23 February 2020 : Trump pronounced the situation “very much under control,” and blatantly and verifiably lied, adding: “We had 12, at one point. And now they’ve gotten very much better. Many of them are fully recovered.”
  14. 2 March 2020 Trump minimising the problem, “We’re talking about a much smaller range” of deaths than from the flu.
  15. 4 March 2020 : Trump on Hannity “It’s very mild,”.
  16. 7 March 2020 : Trump, “I’m not concerned at all.”
  17. 10 March 2020 : Trump promised: “It will go away. Just stay calm. It will go away."
He severely downplayed the virus early on. There is a big difference between not causing panic and misleading the public by saying you have it under control.

And then the kicker, saying that he knew it was a pandemic before it was called a pandemic....?

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
People dont realise how fast this thing has moved.

We only found out about human to human transmission on Jan 20th. Thats less than 2 months ago.

Its easy to use hindsight now and say i would of declared a national quarantine when there was 5 cases in the us and 4 in italy. Reality is very few people were asking for that and Trump took crap for even banning China travel. Do you really think people would of accepted a nation wide quarantine even in states that had no infected and no virus?

Actually the gradual lockdowns is probably the only way this could of worked with the public. The message had to be rolled out slowly. You think he could of just quarantined everyone in one night ?

The public needed to get used to social distancing and closing bars shelter at home etc.... now the table is set and the public is more ready for a real lockdown.

But sure we could all pretend that when there were barely cases outside of china and china was pretending that they their cases were decreasing that it was easy peasy to close all borders and lock everyone in their homes.

FFS Trump cant even get half the country to agree on ICE and border patrol but somehow everyone in the US would of been ok with stopping global travel and quarantining 350 million people.

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
Regardless of whether China hid the severity of the virus or not, I think Trump's comments early on will come back to bite him.

1. 8 December 2019 : Report of the first case of pneumonia from an unknown virus in Wuhan.
  2. 31st December 2019 : China informed WHO of a new severe pneumonic infection of unknown aetiology.
  3. 10 January 2020 : Scientists in China sequenced the virus’s genome and made it available for international collaboration.
  4. 22 January 2020 : Trump, CNBC interview in Davos “No (worries). Not at all. And we have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It’s going to be just fine.”
  6. 30 January 2020 : Speech in Michigan : “We have it very well under control. We have very little problem in this country at this moment — five. And those people are all recuperating successfully.”
  7. 30 January 2020 : The outbreak was declared a Public Health Emergency of International Concern by WHO
  8. 31 January 2020 : Trump announced ban on foreign travelers who had been in China up to 14 days prior.
  9. 2 February : On Hannity, Trump : “Well, we pretty much shut it down coming in from China.
  11. 10 February 2020 : Trump repeatedly said in speeches to governors, at a campaign rally and in an interview with Trish Regan of Fox Business — that warm spring weather could kill the virus. “Looks like by April, you know, in theory, when it gets a little warmer, it miraculously goes away,”
  12. 19 February 2020 : Trump on Phoenix TV, “I think the numbers are going to get progressively better as we go along.”
  13. 23 February 2020 : Trump pronounced the situation “very much under control,” and blatantly and verifiably lied, adding: “We had 12, at one point. And now they’ve gotten very much better. Many of them are fully recovered.”
  14. 2 March 2020 Trump minimising the problem, “We’re talking about a much smaller range” of deaths than from the flu.
  17. 10 March 2020 : Trump promised: “It will go away. Just stay calm. It will go away."
He severely downplayed the virus early on. There is a big difference between not causing panic and misleading the public by saying you have it under control.

And then the kicker, saying that he knew it was a pandemic before it was called a pandemic....?
Everybody knew it was a pandemic before the WHO officially designated it as one.

What is the difference between not causing panic in a viral outbreak and misleading the public about how much you have it under control, by the way? Like, it's either "things are going to be really shitty" and you have to lie about it, or you tell it to people straight and they freak out. You saw the panic that's already happened even with Trump's bullshitting. We would've had gun fights in Costco locations around the country if he told people back in February that millions would be losing their jobs and locked in their homes within a month.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Everybody knew it was a pandemic before the WHO officially designated it as one.

What is the difference between not causing panic in a viral outbreak and misleading the public about how much you have it under control, by the way? Like, it's either "things are going to be really shitty" and you have to lie about it, or you tell it to people straight and they freak out. You saw the panic that's already happened even with Trump's bullshitting. We would've had gun fights in Costco locations around the country if he told people back in February that millions would be losing their jobs and locked in their homes within a month.
This times 100.

Could you imagine if Trump did his little speech in Feburary and told Americans stock market will be wiped out, 1000's will die, 100's of thousands will lose their jobs, and we won't have any food what would of happened.

I don't doubt Trumps team basically told him there isn't anything you can do to stop it just slow it down and keep the deaths down we are FUCKED. So Trump needed to stall for time. We see each day more and more is being done, but people are so used to video games that now they think you can just time skip or craft a hospital in 2 minutes like its minecraft or something.

Trump tried to keep people calm so that we were only seeing fist fights for toilet paper not murders. The last few weeks have gotten people used to the idea of social distancing, lock downs, shelter at home, etc....

Geez could you imagine in Feb he said ok all sports are closed what type of freak out people would of had.

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
That's my most optimistic scenario -- people get it, overcome it, and the public sees it's not the bubonic plague as they've been led to believe. It's nasty and dangerous, but it's not an extinction event like they've been making it out to be imo. And the news media -- even sites I normally trust like Drudge -- have been fucking shameful in this. Over the last five days on Drudge I've seen articles saying your pets can get it, that it'd gone airborne, that we were already in a depression and all kind of doom-saying shit. It's gotten really fucking old watching these people dig furrows in their cheeks while fucking telling ME to be calm.
The rumor has been Drudge was sold. There are some alternatives. Rantingly.com is pretty good.

slugbahr

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2019
The edge of a circle

Here's the real kicker
Go back to RetardEra.

womfalcs3

May 11, 2007
There was no office of pandemic response. There was the office of Global Health Security and Biodefense within the NSC.

You are probably thinking of Beth Cameron. Yet the head of the office after she left in 2017, Tim Morrison who is mentioned in the Politifact link I posted has contradicted her assessment.

Teletraan1

May 17, 2012
Canada
Yeah, Joe Biden has fucking totally disappeared off the face of the earth since silver tuesday and that video only politicizes the pandemic and gives no more information than the Trump briefings they are criticizing. It spends 90% of the video screaming OMB and ends with wash yer hands. What a shitbag.

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
Yeah, Joe Biden has fucking totally disappeared off the face of the earth since silver tuesday and that video only politicizes the pandemic and gives no more information than the Trump briefings they are criticizing. It spends 90% of the video screaming OMB and ends with wash yer hands. What a shitbag.

Reactions: OmegaSupreme

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
LOL!
Biden (and Sanders) wouldn't even take questions from the press the last time they were seen publicly. And Biden has been completely absent. Do you really believe that this is Biden making these posts and not one of his handlers? Trump goes out there every day and discusses what's going on with everyone and takes questions. Biden's probably forgotten that he's running for president. He's probably on the Malarkey Express having imaginary conversations with Corn Pop.

pramod

Oct 24, 2017
The only mistake he made is not shutting down travel from Europe a month earlier.

Also I'm not sure what is it that Trump did so disastrously wrong, at least relatively speaking with Europe or the rest of the world? When this has broken out all over the world and the US has actually one of the lower death rates. (even lower than South Korea, the supposed "perfect" example of how to deal with coronavirus).

Last edited:

FireFly

Aug 5, 2007

What is the difference between not causing panic in a viral outbreak and misleading the public about how much you have it under control, by the way?
I think you prevent panic by establishing that you have a clear plan to deal with every eventuality. Pretending that everything is under control when it really isn't, creates panic, because then people stop believing your assurances after they are proved wrong. And in this case if you think the potential for crisis is overblown, you are less likely to take further precautions to slow the spread.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
There is no way people would of been ready to from 0-60 overnight.

If Trump on Feb 20th said martial law and national quarantine there would of been riots on the streets.

Populations needed to be eased into the idea of lockdowns and quarantines. Thats why we invented this new term "social distancing". I bet 99% of people never heard that term a month ago.

I can tell you one thing, Biden or Sanders or HRC would not have shut travel down from China on Jan 31st while the WHO was opposing tavel bans. These guys love international institutions they would never go against the word of the WHO. And they would of course fear being called a racist, Trump DGAF about that silly shit.

It comes down to each state and their governors. Trump can of course help and give guidence, but its up to Cuomo to lock NYC down.

But at this point its game over for Trump, he isn't doing worse than other leaders but he will take the brunt of the blame from the monday morning QB's who after the fact will say that we should of closed down China in October and Europe in 2015.

Stouffers

Oct 17, 2017
There is no way people would of been ready to from 0-60 overnight.

If Trump on Feb 20th said martial law and national quarantine there would of been riots on the streets.

Populations needed to be eased into the idea of lockdowns and quarantines. Thats why we invented this new term "social distancing". I bet 99% of people never heard that term a month ago.

I can tell you one thing, Biden or Sanders or HRC would not have shut travel down from China on Jan 31st while the WHO was opposing tavel bans. These guys love international institutions they would never go against the word of the WHO. And they would of course fear being called a racist, Trump DGAF about that silly shit.

It comes down to each state and their governors. Trump can of course help and give guidence, but its up to Cuomo to lock NYC down.

But at this point its game over for Trump, he isn't doing worse than other leaders but he will take the brunt of the blame from the monday morning QB's who after the fact will say that we should of closed down China in October and Europe in 2015.
I think he survives this IF it’s cleared up by summer and the economy is on the upswing. If not, he’s toast

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
How long can Trump just stand on the sidelines and watch governors (like Cuomo on TV right now) lead?
You've been around this forum just as long as me, so I do not want to call you a troll, but how is that not a really dumb question? The administration's direction has been to enable states to handle this how best they see fit since the situation in different states is so dramatically different. Do you really want the federal government taking more control and implementing blanket solutions across the country?

womfalcs3

May 11, 2007
You've been around this forum just as long as me, so I do not want to call you a troll, but how is that not a really dumb question? The administration's direction has been to enable states to handle this how best they see fit since the situation in different states is so dramatically different. Do you really want the federal government taking more control and implementing blanket solutions across the country?
Why not a mixture of both? Have states deal with somethings, andhave the federal government deal with others?

Cuomo just mentioned that NY has to compete with other states for the prices of essential goods. Why?

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
Why not a mixture of both? Have states deal with somethings, andhave the federal government deal with others?
It currently is a mixture of both... The federal government is working with big corporations to ramp up manufacturing of essential goods, ensure that stores are open and stocked, and try to work with lawmakers to pass legislation that will keep the economy from collapsing. Meanwhile, they are working with governors to help them implement their own individual strategies.

Cuomo just mentioned that NY has to compete with other states for the prices of essential goods. Why?
What specifically does he mean in terms of essential goods? Other states like Washington and California have it rough, too...

womfalcs3

May 11, 2007
It currently is a mixture of both... The federal government is working with big corporations to ramp up manufacturing of essential goods, ensure that stores are open and stocked, and try to work with lawmakers to pass legislation that will keep the economy from collapsing. Meanwhile, they are working with governors to help them implement their own individual strategies.

What specifically does he mean in terms of essential goods? Other states like Washington and California have it rough, too...
He was referring to masks, and has been pleading since at least yesterday for the federal gov to step in.

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
Last edited:

Mihos

Gold Member
May 10, 2009
steamcommunity.com
He was referring to masks, and has been pleading since at least yesterday for the federal gov to step in.
The federal government has been stepping in. Everything from shipping every last FEMA reserve mask to paying companies from Haynes to Harbor freight to get masks., to moving military medical resources and equipment in region to help. He stopped short of implementing a government takeover of private companies, because the private companies already agreed to do the manufacturing requested. Not a single one said 'no'.

The pedantic fact is that shit is going to get bad, and even if it isn't that bad, it will be portayed as the worst thing ever no matter what at this point. No amount of masks are going to prevent that. Governors and even federal officials know this and are looking for a boogy man to blame it on, so it might as well be someone in the other political party.

Aug 21, 2018
The only mistake he made is not shutting down travel from Europe a month earlier.

Also I'm not sure what is it that Trump did so disastrously wrong, at least relatively speaking with Europe or the rest of the world? When this has broken out all over the world and the US has actually one of the lower death rates. (even lower than South Korea, the supposed "perfect" example of how to deal with coronavirus).
Agree, If Europe close off their border to the Chinese at around the same time Trump did it for usa it would stop the spread for the most part I believe

Reactions: pramod

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
Italy (Lombardy and Tuscany are the two regions that saw the most Chinese investment, under OBOR) has close ties with China, WuHan in particular (go figure). It is why the cases there are so prevalent early on, coupled with their large ederly population. Iran also has this same situation.

Chinese Virus, Indeed!

The coronavirus that originated in Wuhan, China, has now swept through 126 countries, infected close to 170,000 people worldwide, and is responsible for more than 6,400 deaths as of March 15. China is leading the world in the number of confirmed cases and deaths. What many people find shocking is that Italy and Iran are the second- and third-hardest hit nations in this outbreak.

By any common-sense measure, both countries should have much lower numbers of confirmed cases and deaths because they are geographically far from the epicenter of the outbreak. The reason these two countries are suffering the most outside China is mainly due to their close ties with Beijing, primarily through the “One Belt and One Road” (OBOR) initiative.

Italy and Iran have very different social, economic, and political systems. Yet both nations share something in common: Their leaders refused to implement economic and political reforms in their nations. Instead, they sought close ties with communist China in recent years, selling out their countries and their people’s interests, hoping Beijing’s red capital would rescue their failing economies. Now their economies are worsening and their people are suffering most in this outbreak — all because of these leaders’ short-sighted and foolish decisions.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: mickaus

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Trumps doing a horrible job but Cuomo is doing a great job ??

Yet Cuomo is the governor of NY which has 20K cases now and 114 deaths, Almost half the cases and 1/4 the deaths.

Its hard to say that Trump is doing shit but Cuomo is doing great. And when Cuomo asks for something he gets it, like the Masks Trumps going to send, or the emergency medical ship.

Each governor is going to have to do whats best for their state, and it seems they will have the support of the federal government.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: oatmeal and Oner

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
WHO testing kits?

The same WHO that tweeted this nugget...?

So basically US followed protocol and rules while South Korea activated their "Fuck the Law" plan that they have been planning since they got MERS in 2015.
At least they’re getting shredded in the comments.

Super Mario

Mario Mario
Nov 12, 2016
Trumps doing a horrible job but Cuomo is doing a great job ??

Yet Cuomo is the governor of NY which has 20K cases now and 114 deaths, Almost half the cases and 1/4 the deaths.

Its hard to say that Trump is doing shit but Cuomo is doing great. And when Cuomo asks for something he gets it, like the Masks Trumps going to send, or the emergency medical ship.

Each governor is going to have to do whats best for their state, and it seems they will have the support of the federal government.
Applying logic to these things is so 2000.

Orange man bad. Democrat hero.

Oct 2, 2017
I think Trump is doing a good job now, but in the beginning he was too worried about the economy and ironically I think it ended up temporarily hurting the economy more than if there was widespread testing in the earliest stages.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
WHO confirms human to human transmission on jan 20th.

Lockdown in china jan 23

Corona task force created on jan 29th.

So trump put his task force together withing 9 days of confirming that the virus can be spread form person to perosn.

I guess he should of set all that up in 7 days damn him. 9 days to create a task force is pretty quick if you ask me. Too bad Trump was dealing with some stupid thing being done by the democrats.

Maybe tunning around chasing fake phone calls and wasting everyones time on stupid partisan issues to protect a senile old man and his coke head son wasnt the best idea.

Coukd you imagine Trump proposing a EU travel ban and national quarantine while under an impeachment trial lol. Ya that would go over well with Trump banning crowds of over 10 and stay at home orders enofrced by the military. If Dems thought Trump was acting like a King before what would they think when he tells them they cant have rallies debates or primaries and caucuses ? And this was when there werent any cases out of China.

Durask

Feb 6, 2012
You know, there was SARS and then MERS.

SARS in 2002 (under Bush). No major actiron taken.
MERS 2012 during Obama's years, no major action taken
2014-2016 Ebola outbreak in Africa, during Obama's years.

1. two administrations before Trump did not set up any comprehensive pandemic containment plan.
2. Hospitals did not stock up on PPEs because hey it costs money. All those medical
3. No attempt was made to deal with supply issues like we are having now.

Nobody did anything for years and years and now it is all Trump's fault.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
These situations are like those movies the Day after Tomorrow or whatever. Of course there are scientist running models predicting every year there will be a pandemic that will kill 30% of the worlds population. Eventually they will be right, especially thanks to our good friends in the CCP.

Everyone was caught with their pants down, everyone didn't listen. The only country that got this right was Taiwan, and welp thats because they live in the shadow of the CCP and know what the CCP is really like and how evil they are.

Same shit happend with 9/11. There were plan hi jackings for decades, but no one envisioned a bunch of muslims crashing a plane into the 2 towers and killing 3K people. Now we saw it happen we will be prepared by tracking everyone and having temperature checks everywhere you go. You thought taking your shoes off at the airport sucked, wait till you can't get on a plane without a full medical and a complete log of every step you took leading up to and during your vacation.

Last edited:

FireFly

Aug 5, 2007
Why can't we just assume China is acting in bad faith until proven otherwise? Would go a long way if we just assume everything coming from them is a lie first and foremost.
They may be acting in bad faith, but I doubt it is in their interest to destroy the world economy.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
It's based on the TV show, but I guess TLoU is also pretty relevant to today's times.
Nah, I was referring to the TV show where the world's economies collapsed due to something catastrophic and China came in and bought everything up, thus people spoke Mandarin and English.

:messenger_winking:

Last edited: