• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump's Federal Government failure on coronavirus

Mass Shift

Jun 12, 2019
There's no way Trump holds on to the rust belt states that Hillary lost after this. As someone else pointed out, all Biden (or whomever) has to do is hold the ground that Hillary won and win 2 of 3 rust belt blue states.

There's no fucking way Trump wins Michigan after his remarks about the governor and medical supplies issue, that's a lost cause. PA maybe, we'll see. I think Wisconsin is a lost cause.
Well, we'll see.

I do know this, when things finally begin to calm down, there is going to be sooooooooooo much weariness and fatigue out there. I don't think the nation is going to really feel like celebrating. A very worn out nation is going to begin trying to put the pieces back together. We're going to be sorting our out our dead, medical professionals and first responders are going to tell harrowing stories of their experiences, the job market will be slow to reignite because everyone is going to have some kind of medical clearance before coming back to work. And there will still be alot of lingering questions about how this pandemic hit us so hard on so many fronts. And this will likely spill over into a huge national debate.

Even though historically the electorate has stuck with the President that got them through a crisis, imo the fatigue factor is going to be so high that people might be willing to consider Biden for a fresh start. You never know.

TheSadRanger

Sep 5, 2013
Mckinney,TX
Well, we'll see.

I do know this, when things finally begin to calm down, there is going to be sooooooooooo much weariness and fatigue out there. I don't think the nation is going to really feel like celebrating. A very worn out nation is going to begin trying to put the pieces back together. We're going to be sorting our out our dead, medical professionals and first responders are going to tell harrowing stories of their experiences, the job market will be slow to reignite because everyone is going to have some kind of medical clearance before coming back to work. And there will still be alot of lingering questions about how this pandemic hit us so hard on so many fronts. And this will likely spill over into a huge national debate.

Even though historically the electorate has stuck with the President that got them through a crisis, imo the fatigue factor is going to be so high that people might be willing to consider Biden for a fresh start. You never know.
I agree with a lot about what you said. It's just at first things were moving so slowly but now things are moving quickly at an exponential rate, both on the virus and economic front.

I think people are already starting to get more scared of going broke and hungry than the virus. Unemployment is bogged down in most states with people unable to claim it and the $1,200 stimulus is a drop in the bucket for what many need now and weeks away. We are fighting a two front war, one against the virus and keeping the healthcare system from collapsing and one on the economic front for average Americans. Yet we're failing on both fronts. Italy is already showing signs of civil unrest from people unable to afford food (no these aren't just migrants) there's a good amount of Italians within that share the same sentiment as well.

I think that it's very likely that Trump might rescind the GOP nomination and Mike Pence will be the front runner for the GOP. Trump will just be too toxic and radioactive no matter how you cut it, he's hot and not in a good way. Yet Trump made comments about how Pence "Is up all night talking with governors". That will carry weight because it gives the impression he cares about all Americans. If this happens then I think Pence will win easily, however I don't think Trump will. Pence has shown more temperament and discipline through this ordeal so far.

edit: we'll see what happens in 6 months with the Trump sycophants, I have no horse in the race one way or another. I guess you guys are rooting for the CCP to rule the world based upon Trump's constant bumbling.

Last edited:

Sorcerer

Jul 4, 2012
But, but, I wanna a parade for Easter, and I want bunnies...you promised me Mr. Trump!!!

Last edited:

Mass Shift

Jun 12, 2019
I agree with a lot about what you said. It's just at first things were moving so slowly but now things are moving quickly at an exponential rate, both on the virus and economic front.

I think people are already starting to get more scared of going broke and hungry than the virus. Unemployment is bogged down in most states with people unable to claim it and the $1,200 stimulus is a drop in the bucket for what many need now and weeks away. We are fighting a two front war, one against the virus and keeping the healthcare system from collapsing and one on the economic front for average Americans. Yet we're failing on both fronts. Italy is already showing signs of civil unrest from people unable to afford food (no these aren't just migrants) there's a good amount of Italians within that share the same sentiment as well.

I think that it's very likely that Trump might rescind the GOP nomination and Mike Pence will be the front runner for the GOP. Trump will just be too toxic and radioactive no matter how you cut it, he's hot and not in a good way. Yet Trump made comments about how Pence "Is up all night talking with governors". That will carry weight because it gives the impression he cares about all Americans. If this happens then I think Pence will win easily, however I don't think Trump will. Pence has shown more temperament and discipline through this ordeal so far.

edit: we'll see what happens in 6 months with the Trump sycophants, I have no horse in the race one way or another. I guess you guys are rooting for the CCP to rule the world based upon Trump's constant bumbling.
Trump rescind the GOP nomination? I think we have a better chance of each winning our local lotteries before that happens.

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018

Damn, son. That's a hot one. What are we bettin?

Bootzilla

Banned
Dec 19, 2019
Despite what people like DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi will tell you about testing catching up, the testing situation is still dire. I know people who know they have been exposed to positive people being denied tests because their symptoms are too mild. Even a nurse who has to work with Covid patients who can't get tested. This is so much worse than the numbers are showing right now.

Reactions: darkestdame

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Despite what people like DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi will tell you about testing catching up, the testing situation is still dire. I know people who know they have been exposed to positive people being denied tests because their symptoms are too mild. Even a nurse who has to work with Covid patients who can't get tested. This is so much worse than the numbers are showing right now.
Here's the attention you wanted.

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
Kind of surprised to see this Opinion piece get posted in the Washington Post:

It seems forever ago, but Trump’s impeachment was the major story in January and early February — the same time that disease was forcing China to lock down cities. Despite the near certainty that Republicans would not vote to convict the president, Democrats and most of the major media were almost entirely focused on impeachment. As a result, the White House was focused on addressing this threat to its survival, not on preparing for a threat from China that might never even materialize.

Trump’s efforts to prepare the nation for this pandemic has been far from perfect, but the one thing the president did do to stop the virus’s spread to the United States during that period — stopping air travel from China — was heavily criticized. Even former vice president Joe Biden criticized the president’s ban as “hysterical xenophobia.” At the time, partisan vituperation had reached a fever pitch because of impeachment. Given that impeachment managers were regularly calling Trump a king or incipient dictator, a more forceful response against the virus in January or early February likely wouldn’t have gone over well.
In fact, the situation could be even worse today had the Democrats gotten their way. Imagine if Republicans had buckled under the pressure and backed the Democratic move to subpoena witnesses. The Senate would have spent most of February interviewing witnesses in depositions and probably fighting in court to force recalcitrant witnesses to testify. It’s extremely unlikely that the matter would have been over by the end of the month, yet the markets started to decline on Feb. 24 as it became clear that Europe and the United States would not avoid the virus’s spread. Would the House Democrats have suspended their attempt to remove the president at this crucial time, or would they have redoubled their efforts instead?
No European leader stockpiled covid-19 tests or ordered ventilators and masks in preparation for the worst. Yes, Trump might have played down the crisis in rhetoric, but when it comes to actual policy, the sainted Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau prepared his country no better than Trump prepared the United States. The rational analyst sees these facts and notes that it is extraordinarily difficult for politicians to foresee an event unprecedented in modern times and act accordingly.
Hard for me to find anything to disagree with in it.

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Kind of surprised to see this Opinion piece get posted in the Washington Post:
That made too much sense coming from the Washington Post, so I immediately had to look up the author: a conservative, Republican. It's extremely difficult to find sympathy towards Trump coming from the left side of the aisle which is why this makes for such a good ad:

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Apr 23, 2011

He's not getting briefed fully on how dire the situation is. No way he would be and would say something like this to 50 desperate governors. Makes me wonder who is actually running the covid response since he seems so out of the loop

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Jun 6, 2004
New York
That made too much sense coming from the Washington Post, so I immediately had to look up the author: a conservative, Republican. It's extremely difficult to find sympathy towards Trump coming from the left side of the aisle which is why this makes for such a good ad:

So that's what he needed the praise for.
Democrats should find out when those ads are airing and take the following slot, and just put a clip of him saying 'if they don't kiss my ass, I don't call them.'

It's a good video though, will definitely fool the Ill informed, and that's what he needs.

Reactions: crowbrow

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007

He's not getting briefed fully on how dire the situation is. No way he would be and would say something like this to 50 desperate governors. Makes me wonder who is actually running the covid response since he seems so out of the loop
Sounds like they are able to do testing (although with only enough supplies coming in for that day), but wouldn't be able to expand to a proper contact tracing system with the resources currently available to them.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
so you are advocating for stupid policy decisions now? why should we waste tests?

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019
Dr Birx just pointed out that when you count the number of ventilators the UK has per person and the number of ventilators the USA has per person, the USA has five times as many ventilators

So does the main stream media who makes fun of its own country make fun of the UK?

And if NY was so late to respond and if NY is so bad, why is Cuomo getting praised? Because he talked about spaghetti and meatballs?

When he rambles he sounds exactly like trump. So what’s up with the hypocrisy?

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
A nurse in contact with patients wanting a test is not a waste. And why don't we have enough tests yet?
a nurse in contact with patients will probably get corona. They don’t represent the majority of people with mild symptoms.

and do you think these tests are just materialized out of fucking thin air? We’ve made millions of tests in just a matter of days.

or Is this more of your “Trump wants us to die” rhetoric?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ornlu

Bootzilla

Banned
Dec 19, 2019
a nurse in contact with patients will probably get corona. They don’t represent the majority of people with mild symptoms.
Look, I am speaking out of personal frustration for nurses I know being denied tests. This is happening. It seems wrong to me.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Look, I am speaking out of personal frustration for nurses I know being denied tests. This is happening. It seems wrong to me.
This I agree with. They are also being denied N95s (due to not many on hand) and told to speak with patients with no mask, even if they are checking the boxes of symptoms. Then if patients which they spoke to with no mask sets off the alarm bells to be tested for COVID, they won’t tell you the results of that person you talked to so you’re left with anxiety of the unknown.

The healthcare system is a fucking mess, and the protocols are atrocious. It’s literally Russian roulette and our healthcare personnel are at the most risk.

Reactions: SLoWMoTIoN

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019
....why did you make it a point to say "half-white"?
Every time I write his name, I do.
Because people are so gung-ho to yell “First black president” that they forget that he’s half white. I’d argue MORE white, because his mom raised him and she’s white

If Ben Carson or Condoleezza Rice or Candace Owens became President (and I wish one did), that would be the first black president

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019
Watch how upset the media gets when that curve drops and the economy kicks ass again

Watch!

May 22, 2018
Every time I write his name, I do.
Because people are so gung-ho to yell “First black president” that they forget that he’s half white. I’d argue MORE white, because his mom raised him and she’s white

If Ben Carson or Condoleezza Rice or Candace Owens became President (and I wish one did), that would be the first black president

That's uh...quite a noble vendetta. Good luck with...all that.

• LOL
Reactions: funkygunther

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
The USA has basically halfed the % increase in the last five days. And this is with more testing.

Signs are actually pointing to the US turning the corner, but they need to keep the momentum. Also have to hope that this isn't the rest of the country being behind NYC and will catch up. It could also be a by product of self isolation and lockdowns.

The Next 2 weeks are going to be very tough for American's. Deaths always lag behind cases because of the incubation period. Your going to see high numbers, but this is what flattening the curve is.

Mass Shift

Jun 12, 2019
The USA has basically halfed the % increase in the last five days. And this is with more testing.

Signs are actually pointing to the US turning the corner, but they need to keep the momentum. Also have to hope that this isn't the rest of the country being behind NYC and will catch up.
The 100K - 240K model that Brix and Fauci are so heavily relying upon depends ENTIRELY on complete cooperation with the FULL MITIGATION policies. But you still have states like Flordia which isn't projected to peak until May with only partial or no stay at home orders at all. Some medical experts say Florida is already too late to bend the curve, that they will have to run the course and hope their case load doesn't translate into a high death rate.

Without cooperation with the full mitigation policies, our national trajectory is absolutely nightmarish. But even this is the best case scenario. The worst case scenario as Fauci mentioned a few days ago is Covid 19 becoming a seasonal virus that develops a more potent strain that bypasses any prior immunity we may have built up and the treatments we're currently testing would be ineffective at combating it. Which is why Fauci and Brix stressed that they are focused on anti bodies.

We're still in this fight, but not everyone appears to be a team player.

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
The 100K - 240K model that Brix and Fauci are so heavily relying upon depends ENTIRELY on complete cooperation with the FULL MITIGATION policies. But you still have states like Flordia which isn't projected to peak until May with only partial or no stay at home orders at all. Some medical experts say Florida is already too late to bend the curve, that they will have to run the course and hope their case load doesn't translate into a high death rate.

Without cooperation with the full mitigation policies, our national trajectory is absolutely nightmarish. But even this is the best case scenario. The worst case scenario as Fauci mentioned a few days ago is Covid 19 becoming a seasonal virus that develops a more potent strain that bypasses any prior immunity we may have built up and the treatments we're currently testing would be ineffective at combating it. Which is why Fauci and Brix stressed that they are focused on anti bodies.

If it becomes endemic, you just need to repeat the lockdown february-to-may next year again. And the year after ...

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018

Maintaing the momentum and everyone doing the maximum mitigation steps are required. I also think there will be huge increase in testing and antibody test over the next month. Wiki seems to have some older or delayed numbers so today might be the first day that showed a % increase in about 12 days.

If the US continues on the path they have the last 12 days then they reach the peak of the exponential growth. Now the next 2-4 weeks are going to be hellish with a lot of cases and dead, but the growth will be slowing IF the momentum keeps up.

Antibody test will be crucial that will change the entire stratgey on how to fight this IMO.

Reactions: Mass Shift

Mass Shift

Jun 12, 2019
If it becomes endemic, you just need to repeat the lockdown every february-to-may next year again. And the year after ...
lol Depressing thought. Although any future lockdowns would be nationwide I think. Shorter duration and better technology, we'll get better at fighting this and future outbreaks.

Xtyle

May 25, 2006
U.S.A
No he didn’t promise

He tried to be hopeful, like half white Obama was on his campaign posters (hope and change)
You can't make people feel hopeful with false information. Like, who in their right mind would believe what he said about re-opening by Easter?
And more importantly, when it doesn't become true (re-opening), any sense of hope and the believe in his leadership is entirely flushed down the toilet. I mean merely days after he said it he started to walk it back...what kind of leader is that if you can call that a leader?

Reactions: DarkMage619

Xtyle

May 25, 2006
U.S.A

You have 3, close to 4 years of Trump as president...you haven't seen how he operates?
You do realize he said he didn't get rid of the pandemic team when he did?
You don't get it? This is what tons of people's been telling it like it is, for years.
This motherfucker just lies.

matt404au

Banned
Apr 25, 2009
Straya
Fuck this shit
A president has the power to do a lot of that shit. Told us? We need a president to lead and do shit not talk because talk is cheap.
A problem with Democrats? He's the fucking president.
Do you understand how your system works? You know that the president can’t just wish things into reality, right? Especially when the demented TDS-riddled opposition control the House.

Reactions: desertdroog

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Fuck this shit
A president has the power to do a lot of that shit. Told us? We need a president to lead and do shit not talk because talk is cheap.
A problem with Democrats? He's the fucking president.
Dial down the TDS a little please.

He has tried to do a lot of things but other TDS folks have been fighting him all the way.
Remember when he closed the border to china and all the NPCs were screeching how he was a racist and shutting down the fligths was crazy overreacting? Were you one of the TDS folks that went mental when he closed the border to china too?

Xtyle

May 25, 2006
U.S.A
Dial down the TDS a little please.

He has tried to do a lot of things but other TDS folks have been fighting him all the way.
Remember when he closed the border to china and all the NPCs were screeching how he was a racist and shutting down the fligths was crazy overreacting? Were you one of the TDS folks that went mental when he closed the border to china too?
Really
he has done a lot? Like close the border? And what else did he do? Why are we short on medical supplies and why are states not on lockdown or whatever you call it? He has not suggested even that.
Being a leader, there will always be people criticizing him, not like any presidents before him people criticizing and even actively sabotaging their plans, and yet, Trump can't do things because there will be people criticizing him? This is the man that says he alone can fix shit, really? we are supposed to believe he is not just a con man, and maybe he doesn't know to do anything else other than close the border because of political reasons?

• LOL
Reactions: matt404au

Xtyle

May 25, 2006
U.S.A
Do you understand how your system works? You know that the president can’t just wish things into reality, right? Especially when the demented TDS-riddled opposition control the House.
Yes the president definitely can "wish" things into reality...like him downplaying the virus from day 0 all the way to now even downplaying 100-200 thousands expected death to be a victory..seriously you all think he's doing a good job? I just have to laugh so bad at the thought of that. I don't mean it in an insulting way but that's just...oh my god we live in the U.S.A and you think that's reasonable at all?

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
This is not your high-school. Go home and eat dinner.
Stop TDSing so much and try to engage in discussion. Go home.

Last edited:

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Yes the president definitely can "wish" things into reality
Jesus christ. Show me on the doll where the bad orange man touched you.

EDIT: hey wait, you were that spastic that spazzed out and started that "trump gonna steal 500 billion bollars" thread too?
Jesus. TDS is strong in you. I bet you have 2 weeks, tops, before ypou spazz out completely and get yourself a permaban.
Really crazy people tend to do that here.

Last edited:

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
So much time spent on low-effort letterposters.

Pro-tip: make them run around in circles to earn your nuanced opinion. Sometimes they'll even namedrop you randomly when they get lonely. ;)
Well, it is fun to play with the tourists.

BTW. We should call these people tourists right? They are banned on retardera so they come here for a one or two week visit before they have to leave again.

Last edited:

darkestdame

Banned
Nov 21, 2019
We’re up to 1000 deaths per day? I don’t know how this isn’t going to look like anything but an administrative failure to everyone watching.

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019
You can't make people feel hopeful with false information. Like, who in their right mind would believe what he said about re-opening by Easter?
And more importantly, when it doesn't become true (re-opening), any sense of hope and the believe in his leadership is entirely flushed down the toilet. I mean merely days after he said it he started to walk it back...what kind of leader is that if you can call that a leader?
When Trump talks about America first, the Dems call him a dangerous racist threat. When he ships PPEs to China and other countries back in February, the Dems call him an idiot for jeopardizing American lives. Jesus, their constant self-centered contradictions and politically motivated attacks are dizzying.