• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump's handling of the coronavirus will make or break his bid for re-election.

Boss Mog

Dec 12, 2013
Before the coronavirus struck I was 99% sure Trump would be re-elected. However now if the coronavirus ends up crippling the US and killing lots of Americans I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't re-elected. He's on record for downplaying it as fake news and not serious. Voters wouldn't forget that because at the end of the day what matters most for them is having a guy at the helm that they believe can help the country get through a crisis situation. They won't re-elect someone that fucked up "bigly".

I'm not a huge Trump fan btw but he is BY FAR the better choice vs Biden or Sanders., that much is VERY clear so I hope he doesn't fuck this coronavirus thing up. He'll be addressing the nation tonight to explain his strategy, let's hope it's a good one.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
If the economy tanks further and doesn’t rebound by the election I could see him not being re-elected. The virus isn’t his fault, but he needs a strong economy going into the election since that’s his main selling point.

daveonezero

Nov 19, 2018
If the economy tanks further and doesn’t rebound by the election I could see him not being re-elected. The virus isn’t his fault, but he needs a strong economy going into the election since that’s his main selling point.
there were factors that showed that happening before the virus too.

Also the Oil price has a big effect. They don't call it the petro dollar for nothing.

But you maybe right. I just don't think it will be easy for everyone to blame Trump. Obviously the Dems will but how far will that get them? I do't think it will be enough for Biden.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vanitymachine

Riven326

Would place his sister in the spank bank.
Mar 25, 2019
United States
Before the coronavirus struck I was 99% sure Trump would be re-elected. However now if the coronavirus ends up crippling the US and killing lots of Americans I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't re-elected. He's on record for downplaying it as fake news and not serious. Voters wouldn't forget that because at the end of the day what matters most for them is having a guy at the helm that they believe can help the country get through a crisis situation. They won't re-elect someone that fucked up "bigly".

I'm not a huge Trump fan btw but he is BY FAR the better choice vs Biden or Sanders., that much is VERY clear so I hope he doesn't fuck this coronavirus thing up. He'll be addressing the nation tonight to explain his strategy, let's hope it's a good one.
Trump's strategy: "Don't get sick. We don't have Bernie's universal health care and, look, I'm telling you not to get sick. Biden belongs in a home somewhere."

• LOL
Reactions: crowbrow

Bootzilla

Banned
Dec 19, 2019
I don't think it matters what he does, only what the result is. For the same reason it didn't matter why the economy was "good," he gets credit when things go right and blame when they go wrong.

If the effects of the economic impact of Coronavirus are still being felt in November, that's going to hurt Trump. If they're not, that helps him. People think Presidents are Magical Daddies that are responsible for everything, and Trump has leaned into that framing more than any president I've seen.

Last edited:

Riven326

Mar 25, 2019
United States
I don't think it matters what he does, only what the result is. For the same reason it didn't matter why the economy was "good," he gets credit when things go right and blame when they go wrong.

The the effects of the economic impact of Coronavirus are still being felt in November, that's going to hurt Trump. If they're not, that helps him. People think Presidents are Magical Daddies that are responsible for everything, and Trump has leaned into that framing more than any president I've seen.
He's the big daddy up there in Washington. To suggest otherwise is just... rude.

Sign

Jun 4, 2012
His main selling point was his strength on immigration, trade and bringing jobs back. Dems lose on all these points. This whole thing only proves that we are over leveraged and allowing large swathes of supply chains to exist in shithole countries is a national security issue.

Dems lost this the moment they started accusing Trump of racism for blocking flights from China. Immigration, open borders, globalism, rampant homelessness, literal shit covered needled filled streets is all the Democratic party is offering at this point and it will only make this problem worse.

quickwhips

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2009
I think Trump has this either way vs biden or sanders. If he had a real candidate he would probably lose.

Spokker

May 31, 2011
Trump should stop tweeting, but I doubt the behind the scenes stuff would be any different with any other president.

Here's Gavin Newsom praising the Trump administration.

The rhetoric is amped up by the fact that it's an election year, so it can be hard to find the truth.

I think "flatten the curve" is a good strategy and we should minimize face to face social interaction in both large and small ways.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Jun 9, 2006
Prosper, Tx
I do wonder how Clinton’s administration would have done against this. She was many bad things, but she did seem to have a better handle on the political machine and it’s moving parts compared to Trump.

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
where did he say it is fake or not serious?
He said what the media and Left were saying for weeks ("It's just a flu") before and the media suddenly acts like they always knew it would be bad. Of course, while he calms people he is taking bipartisan steps to prepare for the worst.

He just suspended all travel from Europe, exception being the UK.

And the REEEE is loud:

I make sure to call it the Wu Flu wherever I go. You'd be surprised how many people don't know it came from China eating bat ass soup.

Last edited:

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
I do wonder how Clinton’s administration would have done against this. She was many bad things, but she did seem to have a better handle on the political machine and it’s moving parts compared to Trump.
He's done almost exactly what Obama did, except with more travel bans. Of course, the Wu Flu spreads a lot easier than H1N1, so bans are not as effective, but it is still there. Of course, he should have instituted mandatory month-long quarantines early for travelers returning from Asia, but half the world thinks that is racist.

MB1

Apr 30, 2019
Heh if the market keeps tanking Trump might be desperate enough to try to push though M4A and paid sick leave.

Sign

Jun 4, 2012
He's done almost exactly what Obama did, except with more travel bans. Of course, the Wu Flu spreads a lot easier than H1N1, so bans are not as effective, but it is still there. Of course, he should have instituted mandatory month-long quarantines early for travelers returning from Asia, but half the world thinks that is racist.
The media for months have been praying and hoping for a recession and are not above trying to whip up as much hysteria as possible to do it. It doesn't matter what he does because the goal is not to fix the problem but to get him out of office.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Well if you just watched his speech I have to say he is doing the best that he can. If the US can just keep it flat and spread out they could hopefully keep it under check until a vaccine pops up.

Economic relief, ending travel from EU and China, free test on insurance, I mean I guess the only thing left is to hand deliver 200 rolls of TP to every American and wipe their asses too.

Mass Shift

Jun 12, 2019
In 2018, Trump actually shut down the U.S. Pandemic Response Unit and fired the White House's entire management infrastructure for it as well.

I mean I know he basically had been shredding anything the Obama administration created but he could have left that alone.

He's been sugar coating this thing for such a long time that as these outbreak case numbers start to sky jump in the U.S. It's going to hard to keep the same posture he's been projecting.

Cases numbers are blunted because there's been no major testing in the U.S. It's somewhere around 10K tests total, while South Korea and China have been testing at least 200,000 people a day.

We've known about Covid 19 since November of last year and only now is the President acting with a sense of urgency. People were sounding the alarm for quite some time and Trump has been sweet songing.

His Presidency will very likely be graded on how he responded and how bad the situation gets.

Massive Travel Ban
Containment Zones
NBA season suspended

It's getting REAL out there.

Last edited:

dolabla

Oct 9, 2013
That is by design. The media had no problem talking about where it originated from weeks go, but suddenly they say you cant.

At the exact same time the press is pushing the idea of "Trumpvirus".
Tucker Carlson literally just spoke about this tonight. He played loads of clips of CNN, MSNBC etc hosts calling it the "Chinese Coronavirus" because some Republican had tweeted and called it "Chinese Coronoavirus" and they (CNN) made a big deal about it.

He also said China had threatened the US to withhold antibiotics if the US continued to attribute the virus to China and the media has obliged.

It is funny how they were calling it the "Chinese Coronavirus", but now it's the most horrible and xenophobic thing to say :pie_thinking:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jun 26, 2007
Best Coast
People are gonna see what they want to see. In my opinion, the biggest threat that COVID19 poses to Trump's reelection is not because of how well or not he handles it, but to Trump's actual health if he does contract it.

Reactions: Tesseract

Sign

Jun 4, 2012
In 2018, Trump actually shut down the U.S. Pandemic Response Unit and fired the White House's entire management infrastructure for it as well.

I mean I know he basically had been shredding anything the Obama administration created but he could have left that alone.
No he didn't.

As we noted, the administration’s 2021 budget request called for an increase in the annual appropriation for global public health protection. The budget notes the commitment to the GHSA represented by the five-year supplemental passed in 2015. “To ensure these successes continue their trajectory and maintain momentum, the administration has affirmed its commitment to strengthening global health security and fully supports the next phase, GHSA 2024,” the document says.
edit: you may be talking about something else. You will have to source it if you are.

He's been sugar coating this thing for such a long time that as these outbreak case numbers start to sky jump in the U.S. It's going to hard to keep the same posture he's been projecting.
Trying to keep people from panicking is part of his job as leader of the country, yes.

Cases numbers are blunted because there's been no major testing in the U.S. It's somewhere around 10K tests total, while South Korea and China have been testing at least 200,000 people a day.
China is a communist shit-hole dictatorship that can't be trusted on anything.
South Korea's aggressive testing is showing a .6% mortality rate which is not anywhere near the 3.4 hysterics.
There is absolutely no reason to test every hypochondriac on the planet for this.

We've known about Covid 19 since November of last year and only now is the President acting with a sense of urgency. People were sounding the alarm for quite some time and Trump has been sweet songing.
Trump has done far more for this thing than Obama with H1N1.

Dow dropped 900 points right after his shitty speech
Dow is not representative of the economy right now. It is representative of the very wealthy moving money around to make a quick buck before this thing rebounds. The fundamentals of the economy are fine.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Gold Member
Apr 23, 2018
During the Spanish Flu pandemic, the US was heck bent on making sure no one got worried about the flu. Saying it's well in hand.

Meanwhile, they did basically nothing and hundreds of thousands died because their policy of "keep the population docile by lying to them"

On the opposite end, IN Spain, the government Actually told their citizens the truth and helped them to quarantine and get it under control.

We don't need a repeat of that.

Mass Shift

Jun 12, 2019
No he didn't.

edit: you may be talking about something else. You will have to source it if you are.

Trying to keep people from panicking is part of his job as leader of the country, yes.

China is a communist shit-hole dictatorship that can't be trusted on anything.
South Korea's aggressive testing is showing a .6% mortality rate which is not anywhere near the 3.4 hysterics.
There is absolutely no reason to test every hypochondriac on the planet for this.

Trump has done far more for this thing than Obama with H1N1.

Dow is not representative of the economy right now. It is representative of the very wealthy moving money around to make a quick buck before this thing rebounds. The fundamentals of the economy are fine.

I don't know what to tell you Trump defenders, but you can't spin a pandemic. His Presidency WILL be judged against how well he responded and by how severe it gets.

That's just it. It's happening on HIS watch. It's totally on him now. We already don't have enough tests, enough beds or a working vaccine. People have been ringing the alarm bells for a very long time while he's been talking miracles and comparing it to influenza. This is 10 times as lethal as influenza and far more communicable.

Whatever happens from here on, he OWNS.

Vicetrailia

Mar 12, 2019
The economy doesn't matter right now, everyone still has their jobs.

It companies aren't laying off who cares, it's business as usual.

Riven326

Mar 25, 2019
United States
I don't know what to tell you Trump defenders, but you can't spin a pandemic. His Presidency WILL be judged against how well he responded and by how severe it gets.

That's just it. It's happening on HIS watch. It's totally on him now. We already don't have enough tests, enough beds or a working vaccine. People have been ringing the alarm bells for a very long time while he's been talking miracles and comparing it to influenza. This is 10 times as lethal as influenza and far more communicable.

Well thank goodness you're here. I was going to blame Obama. I still might.

Thaedolus

Jun 9, 2004
The economy doesn't matter right now, everyone still has their jobs.

It companies aren't laying off who cares, it's business as usual.
Do you realize supplies don’t instantly run out when manufacturing shuts down? Do you realize businesses aren’t yet feeling the effects of entire cities being self-quarantined like we’re seeing in other countries? We haven’t even begun to see the effects yet. We’re headed for recession and those job cuts will be coming

Vicetrailia

Mar 12, 2019
Do you realize supplies don’t instantly run out when manufacturing shuts down? Do you realize businesses aren’t yet feeling the effects of entire cities being self-quarantined like we’re seeing in other countries? We haven’t even begun to see the effects yet. We’re headed for recession and those job cuts will be coming
I was talking from a recession perspective. If the market goes down 4000 points and we all have our jobs, oh well.

Corona virus is different, you're right. It'll have a big effect and could cost him.

Reactions: Thaedolus

Sign

Jun 4, 2012

So you are going to ignore my points and continue spinning hysterics. . . got it.

Manufacturing slowing down in foreign countries only proves Trump right on bringing those jobs back here. This has demonstrated itself as being a national security issue if anything.

Thaedolus

Jun 9, 2004
Manufacturing slowing down in foreign countries only proves Trump right on bringing those jobs back here. This has demonstrated itself as being a national security issue if anything.
Only if you assume we’re immune to, or much better equipped to deal with, the effects of the virus...which we are showing we aren’t, and Trump is proving he can basically do nothing right in not making the situation worse.