• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump's handling of the coronavirus will make or break his bid for re-election.

Sign

Jun 4, 2012
Only if you assume we’re immune to, or much better equipped to deal with, the effects of the virus...
With respect to manufacturing, we should not and do not need to be so reliant on other countries when we can build our things here in general. This is about being self-reliant. We can't control how China implements policy, or how other countries approach anything. . . so why are we putting our eggs in their basket? So big pharma can make an additional buck? No thanks.

With that being said, this virus originated in China where a lot of our manufacturing happens and that place is terrible at everything. I'm pretty sure we are more capable than China. The virus spread to this country because of immigration. Certain business are being put in a tough spot because they refuse to build here. This all aligns with what Trump has been saying since the beginning.

which we are showing we aren’t, and Trump is proving he can basically do nothing right in not making the situation worse.

We are literally doing fine. Again, I would suggest people go look up the response to H1n1. Nothing has fundamentally changed in the past 2 months plus. Have people gotten sick? Yes. Will more people get sick? Yes. But, a lot of the people acting like this stuff is the end of the world are the very same people who have been begging and pleading for a recession since Trump took office. It is in their interest to be as hysterical and panicky as possible.

Mass Shift

Jun 12, 2019
Well thank goodness you're here. I was going to blame Obama. I still might.
It would be just as bad if it was on Obama's watch.

Remember all the heat he and his administration took over Deep Water Horizon? If it's on your watch, you own it.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Mar 1, 2017
It would be just as bad if it was on Obama's watch.

Remember all the heat he and his administration took over Deep Water Horizon? If it's on your watch, you own it.
Yup, unfortunately we are terribly unprepared for events like this.

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
Before the coronavirus struck I was 99% sure Trump would be re-elected. However now if the coronavirus ends up crippling the US and killing lots of Americans I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't re-elected. He's on record for downplaying it as fake news and not serious. Voters wouldn't forget that because at the end of the day what matters most for them is having a guy at the helm that they believe can help the country get through a crisis situation. They won't re-elect someone that fucked up "bigly".

I'm not a huge Trump fan btw but he is BY FAR the better choice vs Biden or Sanders., that much is VERY clear so I hope he doesn't fuck this coronavirus thing up. He'll be addressing the nation tonight to explain his strategy, let's hope it's a good one.
Trump banning Europe travel is huge.

If we get hit hard, his big moves like this, and earlier travel restrictions, will be justified.
If we get it under control, it is easily played as a result of such measures [which may in fact be true].

There is enough general panic at this point that it is in Trump's best interest to calmly overreact.

Vicetrailia

Mar 12, 2019

If we get hit hard, his big moves like this, and earlier travel restrictions, will be justified.
If we get it under control, it is easily played as a result of such measures [which may in fact be true].

There is enough general panic at this point that it is in Trump's best interest to calmly overreact.
China gave us the playbook, we just gotta follow it.

Reactions: Cybrwzrd

clem84

Dec 11, 2011
I think sleepy Joe is a disaster waiting to happen. I really don't see him winning, no matter what Trump does or doesn't do. This Coronavirus thingy might hurt him, but not enough for him to lose. His base will look pass it. They always do.

Thaedolus

Jun 9, 2004
With respect to manufacturing, we should not and do not need to be so reliant on other countries when we can build our things here in general. This is about being self-reliant. We can't control how China implements policy, or how other countries approach anything. . . so why are we putting our eggs in their basket? So big pharma can make an additional buck? No thanks.
There's much more to it than pharma, and again, in the context of Coronavirus, there's not much that's going to stop it from spreading to local manufacturing anyway, so what's the point of bringing up imports? The virus is here, it's going to shut down manufacturing here. There's nothing inherently different from a manufacturing plant in China and the US when it comes to resistance to a novel virus that spreads like this does.

With that being said, this virus originated in China where a lot of our manufacturing happens and that place is terrible at everything. I'm pretty sure we are more capable than China.
I'm not going to argue that China's not terrible (though "at everything" is hyperbolic), but manufacturing in general is prime for spreading disease among workers. As far as our capabilities: what capabilities are you talking about? Manufacturing quality? Sure. Healthcare? Yes, but our capacity is already strained under ideal conditions. Given the inept response we've seen from the government, it's not hard to imagine the system being taxed beyond its limit and things spiraling out of control.

The virus spread to this country because of immigration.
This is retarded. Unless you think all international travel and business travel = immigration...which, nevermind, still retarded.

Certain business are being put in a tough spot because they refuse to build here. This all aligns with what Trump has been saying since the beginning.
Every business that requires people to show up to work is being put in a tough spot. If you're not trying to spin this into a "Trump was right all along!" narrative, you can see how this is essentially an "act of God," i.e. an unforeseen disaster which can't really be planned for, just mitigated. In that case, then it somewhat absolves Trump...it's more his shit attempts at mitigation that he's guilty of.

We are literally doing fine. Again, I would suggest people go look up the response to H1n1. Nothing has fundamentally changed in the past 2 months plus. Have people gotten sick? Yes. Will more people get sick? Yes. But, a lot of the people acting like this stuff is the end of the world are the very same people who have been begging and pleading for a recession since Trump took office. It is in their interest to be as hysterical and panicky as possible.
There are a lot of people who know what the hell they're talking about who disagree with your take that "we are literally doing fine" and "nothing has fundamentally changed." A novel virus being introduced to the global population which, conservatively, is several times deadlier than the flu has fundamentally changed things. You're adding millions of hospitalizations and potentially hundreds of thousands of disease-caused deaths a year to our population. ADDING. To a system that's already taxed. I don't remember the NBA suspending their season for H1N1. I don't remember all of Italy going on lockdown. I don't remember a stock market crash. I don't think these things are happening due to media hysteria trying to whip up anti-Trump feelings. This is all happening because this is a big fucking deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mass Shift

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
Heh if the market keeps tanking Trump might be desperate enough to try to push though M4A and paid sick leave.
You've not been paying attention. Congress isn't even going to let him push through the temporary payroll tax cut.

He's definitely going to take some political damage from covid-19. It remains to see how much. The dems will blame him for everything but how is that different from any other day? It isn't. I'm more interested in what this does to his approval rating among Republicans.

As far as how he's handled it I think he was doing OK with the first travel ban but then he sat back thinking he'd saved the day. Now that he's actually doing something again as of last night he's way behind and doesn't seem to understand what exponential growth means. He's weeks late and a trillion dollars short.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: off duty ninja

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013

I am sure he knows they are politicizing this ten fold and hoping the economy tanks as a result. It's disgusting seeing those same players, still put on their play.

At this same point in time from what I read, over 120K were infected with H1N1, and over 12K died in contrast over a decade ago. The frenzy was not like it is right now in the American media, etc.. Travel was never shut down, etc..

He is forced to make these power plays, it seems. I am glad he is, personally, but the frenzy is a stark contrast.

Last edited:

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Jun 6, 2004
New York

Big move?
It's an almost entirely pointless move, and then he left out the UK so he could look even more inept.

A Euro ban might have been beneficial 2-3 weeks, today it achieved nothing.

• LOL
Reactions: DeepEnigma

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
Big move?
It's an almost entirely pointless move, and then he left out the UK so he could look even more inept.

You realize that doesn't change what I said, right? Two weeks ago, the media and population were not in hysterics. If trump banned travel to Europe, it would have been judged a great overreaction.

Should he have? Well, maybe, but he could have destroyed the economy and created even worse panic than we have now.

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
As far as how he's handled it I think he was doing OK with the first travel ban but then he sat back thinking he'd saved the day. Now that he's actually doing something again as of last night he's way behind and doesn't seem to understand what exponential growth means. He's weeks late and a trillion dollars short.
See, i think you're taking him far too literally. For example, it's possible he's been aware this was inevitable for weeks. But his job is not just to manage the virus, but the economy, panic, etc. It's quite possible he was told pandemic was an absolute certainty, and that the best thing he could do was avoid mass panic for as long as possible to prevent system disruption. We don't know.

To then back seat drive and say he was too calm? Eh. As someone paying attention since China, I figured he was preventing panic like we've seen elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: cryptoadam

Sign

Jun 4, 2012
There's much more to it than pharma, and again, in the context of Coronavirus, there's not much that's going to stop it from spreading to local manufacturing anyway, so what's the point of bringing up imports? The virus is here, it's going to shut down manufacturing here. There's nothing inherently different from a manufacturing plant in China and the US when it comes to resistance to a novel virus that spreads like this does.
Of course there is more to it than pharma, but with everything we should not be relying on foreign manufacturing when we can do it here. If we didn't have to worry about supply lines we could have blocked everything coming out of that country and reduced our exposure. Again, self-reliance.

I'm not going to argue that China's not terrible (though "at everything" is hyperbolic), but manufacturing in general is prime for spreading disease among workers. As far as our capabilities: what capabilities are you talking about? Manufacturing quality? Sure. Healthcare? Yes, but our capacity is already strained under ideal conditions. Given the inept response we've seen from the government, it's not hard to imagine the system being taxed beyond its limit and things spiraling out of control.
China is a communist shit hole that harvests peoples organs, my dude. We are more capable. The response has not been inept.

This is retarded. Unless you think all international travel and business travel = immigration...which, nevermind, still retarded.
Virus didn't originate and spread because of this country. Having a border and controlling who comes in is very important. We need to stop propping up failed states. Stop taking their exchange students, stop letting their people come in and steal trade secrets, stop importing their viruses.

Every business that requires people to show up to work is being put in a tough spot. If you're not trying to spin this into a "Trump was right all along!" narrative, you can see how this is essentially an "act of God," i.e. an unforeseen disaster which can't really be planned for, just mitigated. In that case, then it somewhat absolves Trump...it's more his shit attempts at mitigation that he's guilty of.
Bringing manufacturing back is mitigation from shit-hole dictatorships.

There are a lot of people who know what the hell they're talking about who disagree with your take that "we are literally doing fine" and "nothing has fundamentally changed." A novel virus being introduced to the global population which, conservatively, is several times deadlier than the flu has fundamentally changed things. You're adding millions of hospitalizations and potentially hundreds of thousands of disease-caused deaths a year to our population. ADDING. To a system that's already taxed. I don't remember the NBA suspending their season for H1N1. I don't remember all of Italy going on lockdown. I don't remember a stock market crash. I don't think these things are happening due to media hysteria trying to whip up anti-Trump feelings. This is all happening because this is a big fucking deal.
1000 people died of H1N1 and one million American's were infected before Obama declared it an emergency.

By October, Dr. Thomas Frieden, director of the CDC told CNN, “millions of people in the United States have been infected, at least 20,000 have been hospitalized and more than 1,000 have died.”
Media said little because it was Obama. Meanwhile, you've got Nancy and Co pushing literal Chinese interference right now trying to downplay its origins. You've got CNN now doing the same.

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
See, i think you're taking him far too literally. For example, it's possible he's been aware this was inevitable for weeks. But his job is not just to manage the virus, but the economy, panic, etc. It's quite possible he was told pandemic was an absolute certainty, and that the best thing he could do was avoid mass panic for as long as possible to prevent system disruption. We don't know.
I'm not judging his performance by his twitter and public addresses, I'm judging it by what he has done and perhaps more importantly what he hasn't done. If you want to blame it on who he is listening to then I'll blame him for choosing to listen to those people. :) The buck stops at the White House.

It's fairly obvious he could have done a better job, just as its fairly obvious he could have done a worse job.

The jury is out anyhow, still plenty of time for this to get worse or get better, he'll take the credit or be given the blame regardless of how it turns out, simply the way politics work.

Last edited:

Sign

Jun 4, 2012
Big move?

Dr. Fauci was appointed Director of NIAID in 1984. He oversees an extensive research portfolio of basic and applied research to prevent, diagnose, and treat established infectious diseases such as HIV/AIDS, respiratory infections, diarrheal diseases, tuberculosis and malaria as well as emerging diseases such as Ebola and Zika.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oner and DeepEnigma

MB1

Apr 30, 2019
You've not been paying attention. Congress isn't even going to let him push through the temporary payroll tax cut.
Because that’s the funding mechanism for SS & the Dems definitely won’t let him touch that.

Dontero

Apr 19, 2018
every event in history points out that in event of diseaster government is boosted not the other way.
People rally behind leaders in time of need.

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
Because that’s the funding mechanism for SS & the Dems definitely won’t let him touch that.
Then there's no way MFA is ever going to happen because "untouchable" revenue makes up almost 70% of the current budget. Not only that, it takes up a larger percentage of the budget every year which means MFA is getting less likely, not more likely.

Last edited:

All Hail C-Webb

Jun 6, 2004
New York
Fauci is in a tough spot, and he's done a good job.
He only goes against the President when it's required to protect people. No need for him to tell the truth in this instance.

We have Community spread in multiple states all over the US. Without a doubt we're dealing with well over 10,000 cases. Stopping some foreign travelers does nothing in the overall scheme of things unless we take action domestically as well.

RedVIper

Jun 13, 2017
I don't get why people are mad at the US for restricting travelling.

Most countries in Europe itself have implemented travel restrictions, I know several people stuck in one place or another.

Sign

Jun 4, 2012
Fauci is in a tough spot, and he's done a good job.
He only goes against the President when it's required to protect people. No need for him to tell the truth in this instance.

We have Community spread in multiple states all over the US. Without a doubt we're dealing with well over 10,000 cases. Stopping some foreign travelers does nothing in the overall scheme of things unless we take action domestically as well.
The Left: Let the scientists speak, let them tell us what to do!!!!
Scientist: Trump's policies will help.
The Left: The scientist is lying!!!!

Afro Republican

GAF>INTERNET>GAF, BITCHES
Aug 24, 2016
Ops like this are due to not paying attention.

There is no indication the corona virus is hurting Trump directly or indirectly at ground level. just talking media news heads making up charts and some leftists in blue states whining.

People have been attacking Trump on this for awhile, yet there's no loss of traction from voters in local polls or (reliable) national polls, which is funny because they usually manipulate the latter.

People aren't dumb, Trump has nothing to do with the Virus, and acting like trump has complete control over it is foolishness. What's crazier is some of the screw ups are at state level but media is trying to attribute that to Trump as well.

yet Trump during primaries, with no opponent keeps attracting high to record turn out, and the rallied in some areas are higher than before in number.

You think people who were going to vote for Trump will switch to Biden specifically because of the Virus because they believe BIDEN could "stop" it and not "Trump'?

bah.

Jan 2, 2011
I don't mind the travel ban, I just wish it happened weeks ago when we were being told this thing would fizzle out by April.

All Hail C-Webb

Jun 6, 2004
New York
The Left: Let the scientists speak, let them tell us what to do!!!!
Scientist: Trump's policies will help.
The Left: The scientist is lying!!!!
This isn't about Left and Right, I don't align closely with either, but I realize I made the mistake of posting in the politics section, so here's my political thoughts.
The worse the response to this, the better for the left. Trump will be out (hopefully not before the election, but the idiot has taken big risks) and the most reliable Republican voters will be dead, or too scared to vote.
The one thing Trump did right yesterday was saying to drop the partisanship. Are you capable of that?

Sign

Jun 4, 2012
This isn't about Left and Right, I don't align closely with either, but I realize I made the mistake of posting in the politics section, so here's my political thoughts.
The worse the response to this, the better for the left. Trump will be out (hopefully not before the election, but the idiot has taken big risks) and the most reliable Republican voters will be dead, or too scared to vote.
The one thing Trump did right yesterday was saying to drop the partisanship. Are you capable of that?
I'm not the one accusing scientists of lying for political gain.

All Hail C-Webb

Jun 6, 2004
New York
I'm not the one accusing scientists of lying for political gain.
Nor am I.
He's not lying for political gain. He's lying so that people can retain confidence in our leadership. He's gone against Trump on several things that matter, but there's no benefit to anybody if he says that the Euro ban will have little to no effect.
People having faith and confidence in our leadership is of the utmost importance right now.

Last edited:

Sign

Jun 4, 2012
Nor am I.
He's not lying for political gain. He's lying so that people can retain confidence in our leadership.
That is of the utmost importance right now.
"He's not lying for political gain, he is just lying so Trump isn't damaged in a political way undercutting his ability to make decisions!"

He is not lying. This entire show is about trying to make Trump look incompetent. Therefore anything he does has to be bad. Having a well respected scientist point out that "Yes, quarantines work" therefore has to be a lie.

This is what we call TDS.

All Hail C-Webb

Jun 6, 2004
New York
"He's not lying for political gain, he is just lying so Trump isn't damaged in a political way undercutting his ability to make decisions!"

He is not lying. This entire show is about trying to make Trump look incompetent. Therefore anything he does has to be bad. Having a well respected scientist point out that "Yes, quarantines work" therefore has to be a lie.

This is what we call TDS.
Having your head up Trump's ass is pretty risky now days, as he's been in close contact with multiple sick people.

Edit: I'll touch base with you in a few weeks when the US has the worst numbers in the world, and other countries are banning travel from here.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Oner and Sign

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Having your head up Trump's ass is pretty risky now days, as he's been in close contact with multiple sick people.

Edit: I'll touch base with you in a few weeks when the US has the worst numbers in the world, and other countries are banning travel from here.
Bookmarked.

Another example of folks cheering for death and economic collapse if it means sticking one to Trump.

Sign

Jun 4, 2012

All Hail C-Webb

Jun 6, 2004
New York
Bookmarked.

Another example of folks cheering for death and economic collapse if it means sticking one to Trump.
Cheering? Are you fucking retarded?
My stubborn loved ones are in danger, as are many others.

Even Trump tried to tell his followers that it wasn't political. Why is this the one thing that you idiots aren't swallowing whole?

Mass Shift

Jun 12, 2019
Oh God. The more he runs his mouth..............

He keeps telling everyone who wants a test can get one, he keeps sugar coating and sweet songing this thing.

We are so far behind on testing. Why keep repeating this lie?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Cheering? Are you fucking retarded?
My stubborn loved ones are in danger, as are many others.

Even Trump tried to tell his followers that it wasn't political. Why is this the one thing that you idiots aren't swallowing whole?
Dropping a hot take and then screeching "m-m-MUH LOVED ONES" while expecting to be taken seriously is classy :messenger_beaming: :messenger_ok:

Reactions: Sign and Cato

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013

You might want to get tested for TDS instead of COVID-19. Clown.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Cato

All Hail C-Webb

Jun 6, 2004
New York
You might want to get tested for TDS instead of COVID-19. Clown.
Dropping a hot take and then screeching "m-m-MUH LOVED ONES" while expecting to be taken seriously is classy :messenger_beaming: :messenger_ok:
I specified 'stubborn' loved ones. If something happens to them, it will be their fault, as I provided numerous options.
Luckily, not everyone is stubborn though, and they are now safe.
To be honest, my means have increased greatly under Trump. I don't think I would have had this financial freedom to offer free housing and unlimited supplies in NYC and elsewhere if not for Trump.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
I specified 'stubborn' loved ones. If something happens to them, it will be their fault, as I provided numerous options.
Luckily, not everyone is stubborn though, and they are now safe.
To be honest, my means have increased greatly under Trump. I don't think I would have had this financial freedom to offer free housing and unlimited supplies in NYC and elsewhere if not for Trump.
Is this the economic version of "but I have black friends" which you assume grants a pass for your Trump conniptions?

Piku_Ringo

Jan 24, 2015
1 giant step towards medical martial law was taken last night. Anybody notice? He was one sentence from "all commercial activity is stopped until further notice." That's how fast it can happen..

• Triggered
Reactions: DunDunDunpachi

Boss Mog

Dec 12, 2013
Maybe on some level Trump knew this could become a possible gamechanger and that's why he put Pence on it, so if it blows up he can say well it's Pence's fault he was in charge of the virus. And if it doesn't blow up he can take the credit.

TheContact

Jan 22, 2016
everyone should listen to the latest joe Rogan podcast btw. He had a guest on who was very knowledgeable about viruses and they spoke in depth about the corona viruses.

Reactions: DunDunDunpachi

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018
The OP is at least half-correct, in that any event that occurs during an election cycle has the potential to alter the trajectory of the election. Since the Democrats are on a clear losing trajectory for this coming election, using the Coronavirus as an issue to try to leverage is their obvious play. They're going to use it as a weapon against the Republicans (regardless of how the situation is actually handled), and hope that it sticks. Whether or not it sticks is up to the voters.

Reactions: RedVIper

TheContact

Jan 22, 2016
What talking points stood out to you?
Surgical masks and gloves won’t help to prevent catching it (will help some to prevent spreading it though)

Hand sanitizer is incredibly effective

The virus pandemic will last for a few months

It’s a lot worse than the flu

Likely the best way for it to die down is to simply become infected, become immune, and prevent further spreading

little children are basically immune. No one is sure why. They do get the virus just do not show symptoms.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Surgical masks and gloves won’t help to prevent catching it (will help some to prevent spreading it though)
Hand sanitizer is incredibly effective
The virus will last for a few months
It’s a lot worse than the flu
Likely the best way for it to die down is to simply become infected, become immune, and prevent further spreading
Dang, "let the virus work its way through the populace" doesn't inspire much confidence, especially since it can cause lung damage.

But it's not like we have a vaccine handy anyway.

Reactions: off duty ninja

TheContact

Jan 22, 2016
Dang, "let the virus work its way through the populace" doesn't inspire much confidence, especially since it can cause lung damage.

But it's not like we have a vaccine handy anyway.
he debunked a myth about saunas disinfecting the virus from your lungs as well. Still suggest using saunas because of the other great health benefits though

and yes he basically said it’s a bad position to be in a reactive response rather than a proactive one. Also said it wasn’t some kind of engineered weapon from China because humans wouldn’t have the capability to create something this complex

Last edited: