• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump's handling of the coronavirus will make or break his bid for re-election.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Cheering? Are you fucking retarded?
My stubborn loved ones are in danger, as are many others.

Even Trump tried to tell his followers that it wasn't political. Why is this the one thing that you idiots aren't swallowing whole?
it‘s a fact that is what they are doing. Listen to the words coming out of dems. Watch their news stations.

to pretend that this is the one thing that isn’t political is fucking hilarious.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Jun 6, 2004
New York
Is this the economic version of "but I have black friends" which you assume grants a pass for your Trump conniptions?
A pass? I'd first have to give a shit.
it‘s a fact that is what they are doing. Listen to the words coming out of dems. Watch their news stations.

to pretend that this is the one thing that isn’t political is fucking hilarious.
There will hopefully be a time to make it political in October and November, and we can all go back to hating each other. The results will speak for themselves by then, and you can't honestly tell me that most people don't want a good outcome.

I'm complaining about Trumps actions because I don't think they'll protect us. If he takes the correct steps, he can mitigate the damage, and he will undoubtedly be reelected.
I think that most normal people would be ecstatic if cone November, Trump is being praised for the decisions he made, that saved lives. He's not going to get that with the current decisions he's making.

gamerMan

Jun 10, 2014
toybuzz.org
It seems like this is going to get worse. The United States was just not ready for something like this. We might be too late.

Last edited:

Madonis

Oct 21, 2018
Here's a simple question:

Why did Trump's prepared remarks include multiple incorrect or inaccurate statements about his own policy that needed to be corrected or clarified later?

It certainly isn't a sign of great consistency and preparation to say one thing and then immediately rush to walk it back.

The White House had to walk back three policy announcements from President Trump's Oval Office announcement Wednesday that are causing more confusion than comfort during the coronavirus outbreak.

1) Europe travel ban: Trump said Americans will be exempt "who have undergone appropriate screenings."
  • His words caused people in Europe to buy tickets at premium prices back to the U.S. in a panic, per the Washington Post.
  • But it will only apply to foreign nationals who have been in the Schengen region of Europe within 14 days of arrival in the U.S. It does not apply to permanent U.S. residents, citizens or immediate family of citizens, per the Department of Homeland Security.
2) Health insurers: "Have agreed to waive all copayments for coronavirus treatments," Trump said.
  • But insurers have agreed to wave copayments for testing, not treatment.
3) Trade: The White House walked back Trump's statement that the travel restrictions "apply to the tremendous amount of trade and cargo, but various other things as we get approval."

The big picture: Although Trump spent extra time making sure businesses knew he'd ease economic uncertainty, stocks fell more than 8% on Thursday morning and halted briefly for the second time this week.

Last edited:

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
Here's a simple question:

Why did Trump's prepared remarks include multiple incorrect or inaccurate statements about his own policy that needed to be corrected or clarified later?

It certainly isn't a sign of great consistency and preparation to say one thing and then immediately rush to walk it back.

When you are desperate to find fault, you will find it. In the sane world, where the media works for the public, we would be hearing about fine details instead of misrepresentations during a fluid situation. Enjoy your hatred though.

Thaedolus

Jun 9, 2004
When you are desperate to find fault, you will find it. In the sane world, where the media works for the public, we would be hearing about fine details instead of misrepresentations during a fluid situation. Enjoy your hatred though.
You don’t have to be desperate to find fault in a statement from the Oval Office meant to calm and clarify being riddled with inaccuracies that need to be walked back immediately afterward.

What look desperate are the attempts to deflect valid criticism at dear leader as “orange man bad” or “TDS!”

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
A pass? I'd first have to give a shit.

There will hopefully be a time to make it political in October and November, and we can all go back to hating each other. The results will speak for themselves by then, and you can't honestly tell me that most people don't want a good outcome.
They are making it political now. I don't see why I should pretend this isn't happening, or lie to myself.

And no, I don't think most democrats want a good outcome. I've heard for the past 4 years people praying for a recession. It seems like they might get their wish and then some.

I'm complaining about Trumps actions because I don't think they'll protect us. If he takes the correct steps, he can mitigate the damage, and he will undoubtedly be reelected.
I think that most normal people would be ecstatic if cone November, Trump is being praised for the decisions he made, that saved lives. He's not going to get that with the current decisions he's making.
What are the correct steps? All I've seen is constant downplaying of what the federal government has already done. If Trump is failing at this, than why are we just now hitting 40 deaths while other countries are in the triple digits?

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
You don’t have to be desperate to find fault in a statement from the Oval Office meant to calm and clarify being riddled with inaccuracies that need to be walked back immediately afterward.

What look desperate are the attempts to deflect valid criticism at dear leader as “orange man bad” or “TDS!”
Every single high profile politician I've seen speak publicly about this virus has been spreading what can be labeled as misinformation. When you slam Trump for it but excuse it coming from Dem leadership it exposes the double standards and bias at play. If we can get on the same page about what does and doesn't deserve criticism it'll make this a more productive discussion.

Here's an example from the presumptive Dem nominee that has the benefit of hindsight:

Were you able to spot anything worthy of criticism from his remarks?

Madonis

Oct 21, 2018
The President of the United States shouldn't be publicly announcing restrictions on cargo that, in fact, weren't part of his actual policy. It creates confusion.

That doesn't exactly inspire public trust in the administration. Nothing sane about pretending there was no inconsistency here. Or that it's a bad thing to mention this.

Every single high profile politician I've seen speak publicly about this virus has been spreading what can be labeled as misinformation. When you slam Trump for it but excuse it coming from Dem leadership it exposes the double standards and bias at play. If we can get on the same page about what does and doesn't deserve criticism it'll make this a more productive discussion.
The current President of the United States is called Donald Trump. His words on policy matters obviously carry more weight because of his powerful executive office.

Even a damn comic book has made this same point: with great power, comes great responsibility. People should be far more concerned about who is actually in power.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
The President of the United States shouldn't be publicly announcing restrictions on cargo that, in fact, weren't part of his actual policy. It creates confusion.

That doesn't exactly inspire public trust in the administration. There's nothing sane about pretending there was no inconsistency here.
As if you ever had trust in this administration 😂

The usual suspects are looking for any issue to magnify.

Reactions: Oner

Thaedolus

Jun 9, 2004

Here's an example from the presumptive Dem nominee that has the benefit of hindsight:

Were you able to spot anything worthy of criticism from his remarks?
Yes found one: he said the virus won’t discriminate and will infect republicans and democrats alike. This is only partially true. Trump supporters think the virus is fake and won’t take proper precautions, therefore they should expect to be disproportionately affected.

Also Trump’s flubs weren’t a matter of downplaying or guessing wrong or whatever, he was misstating his own policy steps by including trade/cargo in the ban. He flat out mistook his own policy

Madonis

Oct 21, 2018
As if you ever had trust in this administration 😂

The usual suspects are looking for any issue to magnify.
Even in that case, If Trump had truly risen to the occasion...his speech wouldn't need any corrections.

I assume he didn't write it by himself, of course, so what's the White House staff supposed to be doing?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Perhaps the title is prophetic. If Trump caught COVID-19, what would the outcome be? How would the ol' guy's immune system handle the coronavirus? Would it make or break his bid for reelection? I see three potential outcomes:

A) He would recover and snag a ton of sympathy from the voters. It would cinch reelection in 2020.
B) Trump dies from the virus and ascends to martyrdom. Pence becomes the president and cinches reelection in the chaos and the handwringing.
C) Trump's true motive was to interfere with the 2020 election by not responding to the coronavirus fast enough. What a monster and all his supporters are monsters.

gamerMan

Jun 10, 2014
toybuzz.org
This crisis has shown us that we need more than a strong economy. In times of crisis, we need a leader. I hope that Trump can lead us out of this crisis. With most of Trump's financial gains being wiped out, he needs to become a leader. It's going to be a test, but if he can, he will win the Presidency.

Last edited:

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
The current President of the United States is called Donald Trump. His words on policy matters obviously carry more weight because of his powerful executive office.

Even a damn comic book has made this same point: with great power, comes great responsibility. People should be far more concerned about who is actually in power.
You want to criticize and ultimately replace Trump without spending a single second asking yourself if his replacement is better suited for the job. I gave you the best possible example to present a counterargument, Biden's own address to the nation on the very same issue.

Spend a little time watching that and then try to tell me you don't think Biden is also spreading misinformation - undermining public trust in the process, as you stated above - and politicizing the virus. I can be swayed by valid arguments, not by baseless opinions, so if you can argue Biden avoided making similar mistakes to Trump in that address I'm all ears/eyes. I'm honestly curious, not being facetious.

Pelosi controls the House, the purse strings, and she had abortion as part of a virus spending bill. Can you argue she's not politicizing the virus and spreading misinformation? She is the current leader of the Dem party. Holding your elected leaders accountable requires tackling these topics, not brushing them aside and focusing strictly on the president. I'm not excusing his flaws, I'm telling you to extend the same scrutiny across the board.

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
You want to criticize and ultimately replace Trump without spending a single second asking yourself if his replacement is better suited for the job. I gave you the best possible example to present a counterargument, Biden's own address to the nation on the very same issue.

Spend a little time watching that and then try to tell me you don't think Biden is also spreading misinformation - undermining public trust in the process, as you stated above - and politicizing the virus. I can be swayed by valid arguments, not by baseless opinions, so if you can argue Biden avoided making similar mistakes to Trump in that address I'm all ears/eyes. I'm honestly curious, not being facetious.

Pelosi controls the House, the purse strings, and she had abortion as part of a virus spending bill. Can you argue she's not politicizing the virus and spreading misinformation? She is the current leader of the Dem party. Holding your elected leaders accountable requires tackling these topics, not brushing them aside and focusing strictly on the president. I'm not excusing his flaws, I'm telling you to extend the same scrutiny across the board.
Biden literally gave a campaign speech on the issue after the aides claimed his statement was not going to be political. And he's probably the most tame of people trying to instill fear and mistrust. Some of these people are genuinely happy about this, and its disgusting.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Fun article to put things in perspective when playing monday morning QB

"This is a virus that happened to pop up in China. But the virus doesn’t discriminate between Asian versus non-Asian,” said Rep. Ami Bera (D-Calif.), a former emergency room physician who will preside over Congress' first hearing on the outbreak on Wednesday. “In our response we can’t create prejudices and harbor anxieties toward one population."

World Health Organization chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Tuesday that widespread travel bans and restrictions weren’t needed to stop the outbreak and could "have the effect of increasing fear and stigma, with little public health benefit." Union leaders separately called for a coordinated government response and warned authorities against profiling people of Asian descent while addressing the threat.

The virus has sickened some 20,900 people worldwide and killed at least 427, almost all in China. The FDA late Tuesday granted emergency authorization to distribute a diagnostic test for the virus to public health laboratories around the country. The move eliminates the need to confirm cases by sending samples to the CDC's headquarters in Atlanta.

But the measures have also met with widespread criticism both domestically and internationally.

Voluntary measures and education usually work better than edicts that may lead people to lie about their symptoms and travel history, and encourage countries to conceal outbreaks, public health experts say. In addition, travel restrictions hurt economies and divert public health resources into enforcing a ban that may not be useful at preventing the spread of infection, according to Saad Omer, director of the Yale Institute of Global Health.

The policies could already be complicating an international response. The Chinese government on Monday accused the U.S. of having “inappropriately overreacted” to the outbreak. And leaders of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention say they are still waiting for permission from the Chinese government to join an upcoming WHO delegation to Wuhan.

Bera, who will chair a House Foreign Affairs subcommittee hearing on the epidemic on Wednesday, said he’s concerned the Trump administration’s cautionary measures may be backfiring.

“We shouldn’t have an antagonistic relationship with the Chinese. We should be working hand in hand,” he said. Besides the diplomatic blowback, he said, the travel ban “probably doesn’t make sense,” since the outbreak has already spread to several other countrie
s.

Bera added that the mandatory quarantines “may be overkill,” pointing to experts who say governments should opt for voluntary steps whenever possible, since people usually comply with self-quarantine orders to protect themselves and others from disease.

Meanwhile, the American Civil Liberties Union has warned that the administration's measures infringe on civil rights. Any detention of travelers or citizens must be “scientifically justified and no more intrusive on civil liberties than absolutely necessary,” said Jay Stanley, an ACLU senior policy analyst.

This article is from Feb 4th.

So even back then when this was only in China, and about 20K cases there was still resistance to taking steps, and some were more concerned with China's feelings and looking racist then the virus itself.

Zangiefy360

Cross Forum Drama ..........Queen
Aug 30, 2018
Fun article to put things in perspective when playing monday morning QB

"This is a virus that happened to pop up in China. But the virus doesn’t discriminate between Asian versus non-Asian,” said Rep. Ami Bera (D-Calif.), a former emergency room physician who will preside over Congress' first hearing on the outbreak on Wednesday. “In our response we can’t create prejudices and harbor anxieties toward one population."

World Health Organization chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Tuesday that widespread travel bans and restrictions weren’t needed to stop the outbreak and could "have the effect of increasing fear and stigma, with little public health benefit." Union leaders separately called for a coordinated government response and warned authorities against profiling people of Asian descent while addressing the threat.

The virus has sickened some 20,900 people worldwide and killed at least 427, almost all in China. The FDA late Tuesday granted emergency authorization to distribute a diagnostic test for the virus to public health laboratories around the country. The move eliminates the need to confirm cases by sending samples to the CDC's headquarters in Atlanta.

But the measures have also met with widespread criticism both domestically and internationally.

Voluntary measures and education usually work better than edicts that may lead people to lie about their symptoms and travel history, and encourage countries to conceal outbreaks, public health experts say. In addition, travel restrictions hurt economies and divert public health resources into enforcing a ban that may not be useful at preventing the spread of infection, according to Saad Omer, director of the Yale Institute of Global Health.

The policies could already be complicating an international response. The Chinese government on Monday accused the U.S. of having “inappropriately overreacted” to the outbreak. And leaders of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention say they are still waiting for permission from the Chinese government to join an upcoming WHO delegation to Wuhan.

Bera, who will chair a House Foreign Affairs subcommittee hearing on the epidemic on Wednesday, said he’s concerned the Trump administration’s cautionary measures may be backfiring.

“We shouldn’t have an antagonistic relationship with the Chinese. We should be working hand in hand,” he said. Besides the diplomatic blowback, he said, the travel ban “probably doesn’t make sense,” since the outbreak has already spread to several other countrie
s.

Bera added that the mandatory quarantines “may be overkill,” pointing to experts who say governments should opt for voluntary steps whenever possible, since people usually comply with self-quarantine orders to protect themselves and others from disease.

Meanwhile, the American Civil Liberties Union has warned that the administration's measures infringe on civil rights. Any detention of travelers or citizens must be “scientifically justified and no more intrusive on civil liberties than absolutely necessary,” said Jay Stanley, an ACLU senior policy analyst.

This article is from Feb 4th.

So even back then when this was only in China, and about 20K cases there was still resistance to taking steps, and some were more concerned with China's feelings and looking racist then the virus itself.
That article hasn't aged well at all. It's China propaganda, plain and simple.

President Trump plays offense and gets blasted by the media and Dems, which tells me he's doing the right thing. They want this thing to bury President Trump so badly.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
That article hasn't aged well at all. It's China propaganda, plain and simple.

President Trump plays offense and gets blasted by the media and Dems, which tells me he's doing the right thing. They want this thing to bury President Trump so badly.
But wait a minute, all the usual TDS suspects here said Trump did nothing and zero actions were taken until yesterday.

CNN said the administration made no attempts to do anything? I wonder why they would lie. 🤔

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
The biggest complaint I have regarding President Donald Trump's Oval Office address last night was not putting Nancy Pelosi on blast by stating she has two weeks to figure out an Income Tax relief package for all working U.S. citizens during this crisis. Put the focus on Congress to actually come together for Americans during this issue.

#Phonepunk#

Gold Member
Sep 4, 2018
i don't think we can begin to predict how the virus will affect politics. it could infect one of the candidates. it could kill somebody in another country, starting a war. it could blow over in a month and tin hatters would go around maintaining that millions are secretly still dying. companies that are now tightening their belt due to the virus might later profit from that money saving big time leading to a good economy. it might end civilization. at this point there is really no way to tell.

Madonis

Oct 21, 2018

Yes, Biden said something that is neither wise nor prudent. But he isn't president right now. Why shouldn't people hold Donald Trump more accountable today?

Nothing that Biden(or Sanders) could say on the road has any real effect on how coronavirus policy is currently implemented by health care providers and government officials.

I am going to be honest with you, I don't even like Biden and have no interest in watching most of his speeches. I am, however, more interested in what the current POTUS says.

There were no abortion provisions on that bill. The biggest proof is that the Hyde amendment language demanded by Republicans is purely preventive (or paranoid, I would say) and will be part of a separate bill. In other words, Republicans were afraid about the possibility of abortion being funded, somehow (how?), not because the bill ever called for abortion funds.

Last edited:

Arkage

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Before the coronavirus struck I was 99% sure Trump would be re-elected. However now if the coronavirus ends up crippling the US and killing lots of Americans I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't re-elected. He's on record for downplaying it as fake news and not serious.
He already did worse than just downplaying it.

His continual narcissism-driven downplaying is going to fuck him over. His attempts to delay and downplay the entire thing have, if nothing else, made the virus spread more rapidly and freely than it otherwise would have due to the total lack of testing, the lack of testing infrastructure, and the lack of any significant federal guidance for the country.

Every single high profile politician I've seen speak publicly about this virus has been spreading what can be labeled as misinformation.
This is horseshit. Don't post an 18 minute video and then play a "spot the fallacy" game. Give a time stamp, be specific, or go do your "both sides" dance somewhere else. I will never understand this undying defense force for Trump's depraved idiocy.

Last edited:
Reactions: crowbrow

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Mar 15, 2007
This crisis has shown us that we need more than a strong economy. In times of crisis, we need a leader. I hope that Trump can lead us out of this crisis. With most of Trump's financial gains being wiped out, he needs to become a leader. It's going to be a test, but if he can, he will win the Presidency.

This is the final arc of the most insane Black Mirror season ever. Trump is down by 6 with 1:30 to go in the 4th quarter, and half the country is wishing for him to throw an interception. If he loses, we lose our way of life.

fucking lol

Last edited:

Torrent of Pork

Gold Member
Aug 29, 2018
Bartow, Florida, USA
I am at the point where I would accept an infected person licking my fucking eyeball if that's what it took to get to the polls this November. I am so disgusted over this shit that a few days ago I actually registered as a fucking Republican after being NPA since I was 18 years old.

Still haven't worked through how I feel about that, but it's done.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Oner and Ornlu

prag16

Jul 12, 2012
Likely the best way for it to die down is to simply become infected, become immune, and prevent further spreading
Therefore, we're doing the opposite, basically shutting down the economy and society in hopes that no more people catch it, hence prolonging the agony and likely screwing over tons of people in the bottom 90% who will struggle to weather time off the job and time with kids out of school.

Smart.

Paracelsus

Jun 24, 2007
Yeah, then the USA lose 20 trillions in a month and the dems still blame him for crashing the economy.

Jigsaah

Jan 31, 2018
If Biden win's...it's over for the Democrats...I'll tell you that much.

Senile vs Senile, people will go with the devil they know.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Aug 6, 2009

The true president hero we need.
The problem is not that the testing is not free, it is because we don't have enough test kits. If we made it free and openly available, people that panic will take up resources for patients that actually need it.

We can't even keep up with the toilet paper demands due to those dumbass, manufacture and supply chain don't just magically appear when a president demands it. It was a mistake to out source all those factories oversea.

crowbrow

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
Therefore, we're doing the opposite, basically shutting down the economy and society in hopes that no more people catch it, hence prolonging the agony and likely screwing over tons of people in the bottom 90% who will struggle to weather time off the job and time with kids out of school.

Smart.
The measures are to slow down the spread of the disease. It is crucial unless you want health services clogged and collapsing like in Italy.

nani17

May 3, 2018
It costs 1, 331 dollars to get the test are you fucking kidding me.

Last edited:

womfalcs3

May 11, 2007

Amen.

May 22, 2018

Exactly right. It's the go to tactic for every Trumper. Anything and everything said against Trump is just bias and "TDS".

God forbid his supporters admit that he is wrong or that someone has a point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alx

prag16

Jul 12, 2012
The measures are to slow down the spread of the disease. It is crucial unless you want health services clogged and collapsing like in Italy.
I don't see how starting the lockdowns before there are hardly any cases in most places (in the US) will accomplish this. Unless they stay locked down for literally months. How would reopening the services/schools/etc be justified in a month or two when there are more cases than there were now. For example there were 3 cases in Connecticut when they started closing schools. There are 5 cases now. That number will go up before it goes down whether or not anything gets locked down. And we are still pretty far away from a point where medical services are strained. If anything we are causing extra panic that will prompt anyone with a sniffle to show up at medical facilities, which is not what we want.

Reactions: Sign and cryptoadam

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Put things in perspective in the US. 1800 cases and 41 dead. 350 million people held hostage over a virus that killed 41 people. This isn't Swine flu, Ebola, or SARS level. More people die in Chicago on weekend from gun fights.

This isn't to downplay the virus, if left uncheck you can have 100's of thousands infected and thousands storming hospitals. But basically shutting down a country and wiping out 11.5 trillion dollars over 41 people who died, most were probably less than 5 years away from dying anyways.

Thats how crazy and delicate this is. And consider the US position in the world, Trump essentially has the lives of 7 billion people in his hands, and he has to make the decision to possibly send people and entire countries into finiancial and political ruin because we are looking at 40 US deaths and less than 2K people infected.

I don't blame him for his decisions now, the tipping point for me is always 1K. Containment until 1K, and then 1K its time to get serious because then you are a stones throw from 10K up till 100K and out of control. But I think people need to keep that in mind. Most people only think about themselves, or their loved ones, maybe their friends, maybe their community, this guy has the whole world that will feel the reberverations of the decision he makes.

Reactions: Sign and Oner

crowbrow

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
I don't see how starting the lockdowns before there are hardly any cases in most places (in the US) will accomplish this. Unless they stay locked down for literally months. How would reopening the services/schools/etc be justified in a month or two when there are more cases than there were now. For example there were 3 cases in Connecticut when they started closing schools. There are 5 cases now. That number will go up before it goes down whether or not anything gets locked down. And we are still pretty far away from a point where medical services are strained. If anything we are causing extra panic that will prompt anyone with a sniffle to show up at medical facilities, which is not what we want.
Social distancing is what is pursued through locking. All health officials agree that social distancing is one of the most effective ways to stop such an epidemic. It's not supposed to stop it completely but to slow it. Read this, it is incredibly well explained with data to back it up

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Social distancing is what is pursued through locking. All health officials agree that social distancing is one of the most effective ways to stop such an epidemic. It's not supposed to stop it completely but to slow it. Read this, it is incredibly well explained with data to back it up

If you look where the US is at, I think we can say they have slowed it down as much as they could. You have to take into account the US position in the world. It has to be the most traveled place and its position in the global economy also means that there is so much coming in and out of the US.

Really due to the US world position they should be at Italy/Iran/SK levels. Just the amount of co dependence of between the US and China in supply chains etc should of had the virus hitting the US a lot earlier and a lot worse.

The key will be to see if they can make the march to 5K-10K slow and dragged out.

Jan 9, 2018
It's almost certain that Trump already has it, based on his recent contact with several individuals now confirmed. Within a week, we may see him move into isolation and treatment. I would bet on it.

Reactions: cryptoadam

Super Mario

Mario Mario
Nov 12, 2016
I used to always be against conspiracy theorists. However, discussions like this remind me to stay skeptical.

Our uneducated world will always blame the guy in power, while the guy in opposition has the perfect plan up his sleeve.

If Trump stops travel, he is racist. If he doesn't, he doesn't care about this crisis.

If Trump helps prevent a financial crisis, he is putting corporation profits first. If he doesn't, he is responsible for a bad economy

These situations always magically present new problems, new solutions needed, more control needed.