• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump's handling of the coronavirus will make or break his bid for re-election.

crowbrow

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
If you look where the US is at, I think we can say they have slowed it down as much as they could.
Unless the low numbers are due to Low testing in which case you're sitting on a time bomb. And the US testing numbers have been way lower than other nations.

Zangiefy360

Cross Forum Drama ..........Queen
Aug 30, 2018
I used to always be against conspiracy theorists. However, discussions like this remind me to stay skeptical.

Our uneducated world will always blame the guy in power, while the guy in opposition has the perfect plan up his sleeve.

If Trump stops travel, he is racist. If he doesn't, he doesn't care about this crisis.

If Trump helps prevent a financial crisis, he is putting corporation profits first. If he doesn't, he is responsible for a bad economy

These situations always magically present new problems, new solutions needed, more control needed.
This is perfectly stated, Super Mario Super Mario . The average person in this country feels the same way you do, we're sick and tired of the losers on the sidelines claiming they can solve all of the worlds problems. They must have forgotten that Obama didn't solve income inequality, universal healthcare, or how to respond to pandemics (H1N1).

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Unless the low numbers are due to Low testing in which case you're sitting on a time bomb. And the US testing numbers have been way lower than other nations.
Testing needs to ramp up, but if there were a lot more cases there would be a lot more dead and in hospitals. If there is a huge number of people carrying it and not tested they most likely are part of that 80% that have it and don't need hospitlizatian and just get over it.

Its an interesting catch 22. If there are 100's, thousands, millions walking around infected, then these people don't need serious care and are probably just going to recover as if they had your normal cold/flu. If not there would be dozens, 100's, or even thousands more in hospitals. So we have to ask which one is it, 1000's untested but totally fine with mild to no symptoms, or very few infected thus so few in hospitals and dying.

Afro Republican

GAF>INTERNET>GAF, BITCHES
Aug 24, 2016
Nothing will happen to Trump, no one thinks a record player shouting bullshit at people would handle this better. The media is trying to politicize this to the extremes while producing manufactured heavy panic:

Meanwhile local non-mainstream polls have Trump up and he has record turnout with no serious opponents in the primaries, no one is falling for it.

prag16

Jul 12, 2012
Testing needs to ramp up, but if there were a lot more cases there would be a lot more dead and in hospitals. If there is a huge number of people carrying it and not tested they most likely are part of that 80% that have it and don't need hospitlizatian and just get over it.

Its an interesting catch 22. If there are 100's, thousands, millions walking around infected, then these people don't need serious care and are probably just going to recover as if they had your normal cold/flu. If not there would be dozens, 100's, or even thousands more in hospitals. So we have to ask which one is it, 1000's untested but totally fine with mild to no symptoms, or very few infected thus so few in hospitals and dying.
That 80% 'mostly unaffected' is now closer to 90% now that most of the numbers coming in are from more or less first world countries.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Apr 9, 2009
He just suspended all travel from Europe, exception being the UK.
By the way, just to follow up for people reading later, he didn't actually do that. Your post is a good time capsule of what I and most other people thought at the time, tho.

Trump misspoke his own policy on live television. It turns out the travel ban does not apply to US citizens abroad in Europe, immediate family members of US citizens in Europe, to Ireland, to US military, or to goods.

So his administration's lack of competence further helped tank his own economy by implying a great freeze in trade. And it caused panic at European airports, triggering a rush for last-minute tickets from Americans abroad and US military, probably exposing more people.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: dolabla

dolabla

Oct 9, 2013
He at least got it right about Europe. Surely those people that are allowed are being tested before they come in.

Europe has become the new epicenter of the COVID-19 pandemic as cases in China slow and the deadly coronavirus runs through Italy and nearby countries, World Health Organization officials said Friday.

“More cases are now being reported [in Europe] every day than were reported in China at the height of its epidemic,” WHO Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said at a news conference at the organization’s Geneva headquarters.

oatmeal

Jun 17, 2007
It’s so early, way too early to judge anything. Remember the supply shortage in PR? Held back from the populace for political gain. We aren’t getting the full picture and won’t for some time.

The same media that has done the same thing for 3 years is doing the same thing. They didn’t just start spreading real news in the wake of this disease.

This can only be judged by looking back at it.

Zangiefy360

Cross Forum Drama ..........Queen
Aug 30, 2018
Reactions: A Regular Guy

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
By the way, just to follow up for people reading later, he didn't actually do that. Your post is a good time capsule of what I and most other people thought at the time, tho.

Trump misspoke his own policy on live television. It turns out the travel ban does not apply to US citizens abroad in Europe, immediate family members of US citizens in Europe, to Ireland, to US military, or to goods.
I don't get the claim that he "misspoke." Wasn't the China travel implemented in January the same thing? Of course they aren't going to ban US citizens from coming home. That's insane.

You didn't see the media playing careful with wording and adding paragraphs of disclaimers to their article headlines when calling it a "China Travel Ban" back then.

Reactions: cryptoadam

Havoc2049

Mar 30, 2011
Arizona
I think the Trump administration is doing a solid job. We are kinda in a holding pattern now to see how bad COVID-19 will become and if more drastic steps need to be taken. The longer it lasts, the greater the economic impact. In a couple of months from now, everything could be back to normal and we could see a little mini economic boom as people get out and about again and enjoy life.

In my state of Arizona, there have been 9 confirmed cases, 0 deaths and 1 recovery. In a state of around 7 million people, that's nothing. My wife and I are still going to work and my daughter is still going to school.

Super Mario

Mario Mario
Nov 12, 2016
Trump misspoke his own policy?!

For as much as everyone thinks Trump is unhinged and shooting from the hip, you'd be surprised to know that the president doesn't write all of their policies. They have advisers who have their own advisers. They weigh out all options, and look for what is best. No leader at the top really knows everything that is going on. They are concerned for the big picture

Reactions: Zefah
May 22, 2018
For as much as everyone thinks Trump is unhinged and shooting from the hip, you'd be surprised to know that the president doesn't write all of their policies. They have advisers who have their own advisers. They weigh out all options, and look for what is best. No leader at the top really knows everything that is going on. They are concerned for the big picture
Welp, before they go on tv and talk about their policies they should probably get the stories straight from their advisers don't you think? Trump has "misspoke" on so many things since getting in office. On tv, on twitter, all over.

Pumpkin Seeds

Jul 13, 2018
He hasn't done well on COVID. I think the main thing is the lack of tests being available and the lack of knowledge about the virus. Part of the blame there goes on China for likely being less than forthcoming with information.

Politically, the response was too late to be able to turn it into a gain for Trump. However, there's always the chance the media overplays their hand and backfires on themselves.

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
He hasn't done well on COVID. I think the main thing is the lack of tests being available and the lack of knowledge about the virus. Part of the blame there goes on China for likely being less than forthcoming with information.

Politically, the response was too late to be able to turn it into a gain for Trump. However, there's always the chance the media overplays their hand and backfires on themselves.
They've already crossed that line as far as I'm concerned. I watched the sensationalized media coverage of H1N1 in 2009, back then it was the media calling out members of the White House administration for fearmongering (Time: Joe Biden's Swine Flu Hysteria). Today it's the other way around.

Mass Shift

Jun 12, 2019
An elderly man who never traveled and lived in a nursing home in a remote part of Kansas died of Covid 19. And it was only discovered during a post mortem exam.

If it can hit some out of the way location in Middle America then this virus could potentially be everywhere.

When we finally get caught up with testing I expect a national meltdown in the U.S.

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018
An elderly man who never traveled and lived in a nursing home in a remote part of Kansas died of Covid 19. And it was only discovered during a post mortem exam.

If it can hit some out of the way location in Middle America then this virus could potentially be everywhere.

When we finally get caught up with testing I expect a national meltdown in the U.S.
TBH testing is a bit of a red herring. You test people who exhibit symptoms...but most people who ever get it are not going to have symptoms, or have the mild symptoms of a cold. Beyond that, worldwide containment failed a long time ago; it's gonna go where it's gonna go, testing or no testing at this point.

Mass Shift

Jun 12, 2019
TBH testing is a bit of a red herring. You test people who exhibit symptoms...but most people who ever get it are not going to have symptoms, or have the mild symptoms of a cold. Beyond that, worldwide containment failed a long time ago; it's gonna go where it's gonna go, testing or no testing at this point.
Are you sure you meant to say red herring? That would indicate that feel that no importance should attached to testing.

My point still stands. If some poor soul in the middle of nowhere died of Covid 19 then it's probably everywhere. Testing will continue to be vital and important. I disagree with you strongly. We won't even know when the virus has begun to abate without more rigorous testing. And it's going to be awhile too. We are only in the early stages of this here in the U.S.

And while most of it is, all of this isn't the Trump Administration's fault. Why weren't the airlines monitoring their own passengers? I've seen passengers who were drunk or erratic denied access to planes before. And the NBA is going to now begin testing it's players. Weren't they paying attention to any of this? We've known about this since November , but everyone just kept going on like this was going to miss us.

There's plenty of blame to go around. And I'd really like to know how celebs and athletes are getting tested when the rest of us cant.

Last edited:

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018
Are you sure you meant to say red herring? That would indicate that feel that no importance should attached to testing.
I'm saying that a testing system that can't catch 90% of cases (because you only test people who are symptomatic, and self-report) after worldwide containment has already failed weeks ago is a bit pointless. What exactly are you learning? You already need to treat people who are presenting serious symptoms, be it Corona or something else. If this was an isolated outbreak, sure, testing would matter more. Shit is absolutely everywhere at this point, worldwide.

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
We have the worst numbers in the world, and other countries have banned travel from the US.

Am I missing something?
You said in other topic that Sweden's death rate is twice ours, and a lot of other European countries have higher death rates too. How are we the worst in the world? Obviously our total numbers will be higher than theirs - we are a much larger country.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigrx1

zcaa0g

Sep 3, 2018
People need to realize that if Racist Biden gets elected, he will raise corporate tax rates which will lead to even more mass layoffs and then reimplement overbearing regulations that will hurt companies and lead to even more mass layoffs.

Over regulation and high corporate tax rates don't hurt the companies or CEOs, they hurt the every day foot soldiers that are just trying to make an honest living.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
People need to realize that if Racist Biden gets elected, he will raise corporate tax rates which will lead to even more mass layoffs and then reimplement overbearing regulations that will hurt companies and lead to even more mass layoffs.

Over regulation and high corporate tax rates don't hurt the companies or CEOs, they hurt the every day foot soldiers that are just trying to make an honest living.
And drive more business's offshore and into CCP outstreched arms.