• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Trumps impeachment team resigns a week before senate trial

OnionSnake

Banned
Dec 29, 2020
The team, led by South Carolina lawyer Butch Bowers, resigned in part because of disagreements over how to mount Trump’s defense, the sources said. The lawyers had planned to argue the constitutionality of holding a trial given Trump is now a former president

The disagreements over strategy varied, sources told ABC News, but Trump wanted his team to argue there was election fraud, while the lawyers and some top advisers to the former president wanted the focus to remain on the constitutionality of a trial with the president no longer in office.

A source close to the former president described the change as a "mutual decision" between the parties.
Edit: and apparently Steve Bannon has been encouraging him to take the stand in the senate himself.

Last edited:

OnionSnake

Banned
Dec 29, 2020
Hit send before I meant to, title was meant to say “Trumps impeachment team resigns a week before senate trial” if a mod can edit. Thanks

Reactions: EviLore

sw0mp_d0nk3y

Jun 3, 2013
Time to bring in the dream team...

BadBurger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2019
Trump could literally show up to the Capitol for his trial dressed like Gimli from the Lord of the Rings, tell all of the senators he wished his designs to have them murdered in violent insurrection had actually succeeded, while answering all questions with nothing but screaming the n-word, and Republican senators would still acquit him. Hell they even refuse to condemn the actual insurrection or the new QAnon faces of their party in the House.

I cannot wait to see how outlandish the Republican candidates are in 2022. It's going to be wild.

Udham

Mar 3, 2011
Interesting.

If Trump defends himself and does it well he will come out a winner no matter what the outcome is.
It will be hostile, but he has nothing to lose.

Cleared_Hot

Feb 25, 2018
Trump could literally show up to the Capitol for his trial dressed like Gimli from the Lord of the Rings, tell all of the senators he wished his designs to have them murdered in violent insurrection had actually succeeded, while answering all questions with nothing but screaming the n-word, and Republican senators would still acquit him. Hell they even refuse to condemn the actual insurrection or the new QAnon faces of their party in the House.

I cannot wait to see how outlandish the Republican candidates are in 2022. It's going to be wild.
Sounds like you actually live in a fantasy world

Mista K

Oct 5, 2010
U.S.
The craziest part is the reported reason they’re separating is because trump wants them to push election fraud. The man is a psycho
I think it has to do with the right to object over some state electors, because of all the election laws that changed in violation of state rules. He can argue he had a right to object, which is fine, but the way it was handled was bad. He’s not an attorney though, and this will bite him back later

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
Not sure why anybody would want that job in the first place. Maybe the idea was that it was going to be easy money since the Senate Republicans most likely aren't inclined to impeach? They didn't factor in dealing with his majesty, though, lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: OnionSnake

OnionSnake

Banned
Dec 29, 2020

skip over every trans issue because I’m not here to debate their existence today. Trump has been a fucking nightmare for all members of the LGBT community one way or another even up to 1/8/2021! Shits insane and says a lot about anyone who claims he was an unprecedented supporter.

Ascend

Jul 23, 2018

skip over every trans issue because I’m not here to debate their existence today. Trump has been a fucking nightmare for all members of the LGBT community one way or another even up to 1/8/2021! Shits insane and says a lot about anyone who claims he was an unprecedented supporter.
Nice list. Is there such a list for any other president in the history of presidents?

Reactions: RedCarp04

OnionSnake

Banned
Dec 29, 2020
If you don't have another list to compare, how can you be so sure that Trump is so much worse than all others?
Maybe talk to LGBT people or even read articles about LGBT advances during the previous administrations that Trump has tried to rescind?

hell some of the rules Trump tried to revoke like allowing federal contractors to discriminate on the basis of sexuality were enacted under Obama. Wild for an unprecedented defender of LGBT rights to try and remove that

Ascend

Jul 23, 2018
Maybe talk to LGBT people or even read articles about LGBT advances during the previous administrations that Trump has tried to rescind?

hell some of the rules Trump tried to revoke like allowing federal contractors to discriminate on the basis of sexuality were enacted under Obama. Wild for an unprecedented defender of LGBT rights to try and remove that
If all you're worried about is LGBT, you don't really care about the US, considering the majority of people are not LGBT.

Ornlu

Banned
Oct 31, 2018

Sounds like a self-insert fantasy.

OnionSnake

Banned
Dec 29, 2020
He needs to bring in his A++ game.
In senate hearing, demagoguery won't work.
He needs to classy and straight like how Frank Underwood was.
If we get Trump under oath I'm going to die laughing, dude can't keep his story straight for a minute surrounded by his adoring fans how is he going to be while sitting in that small chair surrounded by congressmen?

Nervous Rudy Giuliani GIF by GIPHY News

ExpandKong

Banned
Jan 9, 2018

Man, imagine if Trump was even half as bad as y’all like to pretend he is.

Xenon

I cant help but feel that outside of a Colonel Jessup moment the Democrats are doing Trump a favor here. Up until now they've had control of the narrative and painting the events as a Trump driven insurrection. By giving his defense a platform a lot more people are going to hear a different perspective on events.

It would have been smarter to quit when they were ahead.

Last edited:

Udham

Mar 3, 2011
If we get Trump under oath I'm going to die laughing, dude can't keep his story straight for a minute surrounded by his adoring fans how is he going to be while sitting in that small chair surrounded by congressmen?

He can be under-oath, sit on lie-detector, and needle won't even move.
He is that natural. Lol.

• LOL

Mista K

Oct 5, 2010
U.S.

He did a lot more for LGBT overseas, such as helping gay people not being criminalized or executed in certain countries, but I rarely see that being brought to the forefront when crying about LGBT rights. He wasn't perfect, sure, but you're not going to get what you want 100% out of any administration.

Anyway, I would also like to watch him on the stand. It would be the best reality TV of 2021

OnionSnake

Banned
Dec 29, 2020
He did a lot more for LGBT overseas, such as helping gay people not being criminalized or executed in certain countries, but I rarely see that being brought to the forefront when crying about LGBT rights.
I'd like to see anything concrete that came out of this, I don't have the article at hand but there was a middle eastern LGBT advocate (forgetting the country) who was really excited about this, but wrote that after 6 months or a year forgetting the specific timescale that when she reached out to the trump administration to assist in this effort she was met with a cold shoulder. It really did seem to be the picture perfect definition of made for TV virtue signalling. I'll try and find the article to update but I am curious if you have anything contrary to that narrative because I see it brought up a lot often in Trump spaces.

Edit: Found the article, details were not fully correct but will leave my original messages as is and here is the article:

“There’s nothing,” says David Pressman, a partner at the Boies Schiller Flexner law firm who worked on international LGBTQ policy under Obama. Grenell’s events, he says, have “not translated into any meaningful, coordinated, strategic effort.”
In February, US officials told NBC that Grenell’s initiative would likely “include working with global organizations like the United Nations, the European Union and the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, as well as other countries whose laws already allow for gay rights.” The State Department’s Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights and Labor (DRL) was expected to play an organizing role, given its focus on international LGBTQ rights during the Obama administration. But two sources close to that office told Mother Jones that it has been frequently left out of the loop in the months since the campaign was launched. “No one in DRL has any idea what’s going on,” a former State Department official said. “There is no process.”
In addition to DRL, any coordinated push toward decriminalization would involve designated point people elsewhere within the State Department, officials at other federal agencies, and input from National Security Council staff at the White House. But it’s unclear whether any of that is actually happening. “All we’ve seen is two meetings without a lot of follow-up in Berlin, and one kind of similar meeting in Kiev,” said Mark Bromley, chair of the Council for Global Equality, which advocates for American foreign policy to prop up LGBTQ rights across the globe. “Perhaps they will put more diplomatic and financial muscle behind it, but we certainly haven’t seen an integrated decriminalization program.”

There's more in the article but again I would like to see if anything concrete came of this because as of October 2019 it seemed like... no.

Last edited:

Mista K

Oct 5, 2010
U.S.
I'd like to see anything concrete that came out of this, I don't have the article at hand but there was a middle eastern LGBT advocate (forgetting the country) who was really excited about this, but wrote that after 6 months or a year forgetting the specific timescale that when she reached out to the trump administration to assist in this effort she was met with a cold shoulder. It really did seem to be the picture perfect definition of made for TV virtue signalling. I'll try and find the article to update but I am curious if you have anything contrary to that narrative because I see it brought up a lot often in Trump spaces.
No problem, I'll try to find some links and pm them to you later. I don't want to derail your thread too much

Feb 3, 2015
if Trump represents itself it could be pretty great.

I was immediately reminded of when Tim Heidecker was put on trial for giving out vape pens that poisoned people at a festival, and fired his lawyer on the first day... his final defense even included blaming China. His character is basically a Q nut loosely based on Trump:

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Tesseract

dave_d

Jan 31, 2005
Quick question for someone that's kind of took a break from reading politics immediately after the election and is coming back in slowly. Umm, what's the point? I mean is the only thing that can happen is that the senate can do a straight party line vote and Trump can't run for president again? Related question. If the pubs were to win the house and senate in 2022 is there anything stopping them from impeaching Biden, losing, then doing a straight party line vote to prevent Biden from running for re-election?

Tesseract

Banned
Dec 7, 2008
if Trump represents itself it could be pretty great.

I was immediately reminded of when Tim Heidecker was put on trial for giving out vape pens that poisoned people at a festival, and fired his lawyer on the first day... his final defense even included blaming China. His character is basically a Q nut loosely based on Trump:

holy fuck, lol

'and that's sworn testimony ...'

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: BarringGaffner

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
He’s no longer president tho.
This is the argument his team wanted to make. Trump was not interested. He wanted them to argue election fraud which is A) perjury since it didn't happen and B) Not even the thing he is on trial for. They refused so he fired them.

He's an idiot. If it comes down to it he's gonna send Giuliani or Ellis or one of his crackpots and absolutely bury himself by clinging to the very bullshit that led to this mess in the first place.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
This is the argument his team wanted to make. Trump was not interested. He wanted them to argue election fraud which is A) perjury since it didn't happen and B) Not even the thing he is on trial for. They refused so he fired them.

He's an idiot.
He’s still no longer president.

Pumpkin Seeds

Jul 13, 2018
There's always election fraud. Stop saying there's no election fraud. It's just dumb. Say there was an inconsequential amount of fraud or that all fraud was unconnected and individually done or anything sensible.

Saying there was no election fraud is like saying there was no pee in the public pool. Someone always does it, so it's just a question of how much.

Last edited:

Ascend

Jul 23, 2018
There's always election fraud. Stop saying there's no election fraud. It's just dumb. Say there was an inconsequential amount of fraud or that all fraud was unconnected and individually done or anything sensible.

Saying there was no election fraud is like saying there was no pee in the public pool. Someone always does it, so it's just a question of how much.
It even goes further than that. For example... Would media manipulation be considered election fraud?

• Thoughtful