• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TRUTHFACT: MS having eSRAM yield problems on Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The Wii has no prayer of running XBONE/PS4 games, 800 gigaflops or no.

It's not selling, and is going to be completely buried by new console hype from E3 until the end of the holiday season in January. Anyone but the nintendo hardcore throwing down cash for it at this point is a fantasy.

Nintendo had (slightly less than) one year to make a case for the WiiU and massively fucked it up. It's done.

TBF it's a bit too early for that yet. We don't know precisely how these likely expensive new consoles will fare in the current economic climate. No doubt it looks very, very bad for the wii u but it's far too premature to assume how this is going to go down. We're in a very volatile position where bad news can change peoples minds.

I mean who could have predicted the clusterfuck that was the Xbox one. Until at least this Christmas. Sony went from unquestionable first, to loss leader by a large margin due to a few key bad decisions. I wouldn't start making any predictions about how this generation is going to go.

I really don't feel comfortable outing sources, because I want them to contribute on neoGAF in the future. If they out themselves openly or someone else does it, that's a thing. You can probably find the source on your own if you are decent at using google search.

It's just a respect thing. I'm no snitch, and I respect people's desire not to be in the spotlight (and also not to get in trouble so they'll share info in the future). So I hope you guys can understand why I'm hesitant to always outright link the sources I'm posting.

I am absolutely, definitively NOT an insider, so nothing I am saying about E3 comes from any thing that is a neoGAF post from a genuine insider (or someone who has demonstrated they have good sources) and I mostly only discuss the ones from credible sources. This one is from two credible sources.

Oh Ami this came from you? I just assumed I missed some post in the thread. Much more credible and worrisome.

Spongebob

Banned
Two of our most trusted neoGAF insiders have said that Microsoft is reacting hard to what has went down, and so they're going to try to dismantle PS4's image as a "for gamers" console by paying publishers and devs to not show their multiplatform titles during E3 on a PS4. In other words, even if the multiplatform version is coming out for the PS4, they won't be able to show them at E3, thus contributing to the perception that somehow Sony is getting significantly less support for PS4 than Microsoft is "for gamers."

Of course, I'm sure multiplatform games will slip through - they can't possibly pay everyone - but it's extremely telling how they're choosing to spend their money. Rather than do the thing everyone wants, which is end the anti-consumer nonsense, they'll spend their time trying to deceive everyone instead. That should say it all about Microsoft since this year started
Pathetic.

Zizbuka

Banned
yeah, no reason to question that guy. As far as I can see he's legit.

He DID say though that this is something microsoft is "attempting" to do, and "of those who take the money" no games may be seen for PS4.

This isn't likely to be any JP devs of note (because MS is nonexistent in Japan), nor is it likely to be anyone the size of EA, Activision, or Ubisoft. Not only are those three simply too large to moneyhat that way, no one in their right mind thinks Madden, COD, Battlefield, Assassin's Creed, etc won't show up on PS4.

And Sony should tell the devs, "if you take money from MS to not show PS4 games, your game will be decertified". Since it's looking more likely every day that Xbone is in trouble, that could carry some weight.

Yep new thread for new news. This is literally insane info.

And meanwhile, Sony is just sitting back, sipping on their coffee and just admiring the fuck-ups. Incredible. One after another. All i wanted was a reveal and games that look amazing. How do you fuck that up?

Someone posted a while back, I believe it was a dev, that he hasn't seen Sony's first and second party studios this singularly focused ever. So this will not hurt Sony. I guarantee you most of their major studios are working on exclusives and some of them may have been working on PS4 games for as long as three years.

I know what you mean. I've watched a couple of Cerny's talks (marlbe madness retrospective, and The Method) and the guy comes off as super genuine, someone I'd like to be friends with. The MS guys on stage for xbone reveal were kinda...idk if creepy is the right word, maybe off putting is better.

They just do nothing to show me they care about games beyond a money standpoint and that makes it hard for me to support them. And if the rumor about them paying them to not show their multiplatform games on PS4 at E3 simply because they utterly failed to reveal their system in a positive light whereas Sony DID is just insane.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
edit: on second thought, if she wants to comment, she can... I don't want to speak for anyone or drag them into the mire.

This is the attitude I've personally associated them with all this time and why I've been uncomfortable paying for Live and this and that. Or just supporting them in general. I get that people love Live and that it's important to them and that it's a service that works very well, but I've always been subconsciously apprehensive about it. I'm guilty of paying for it myself but I stopped long before this stuff went down.

If I may be blunt, and this will no doubt make some eyes roll and that's okay, but I really don't get the impression that Microsoft respects the videogame medium. They cater to popularity and try to be the cool kids on the block so hard, I mean look no further than Peter Moore's badass GTA tattoo, and they've always had this annoying mantra. I get that they're running a business and obviously it makes sense for them to reach out to everyone they can and that's fine, but I get nothing but a vibe of dishonesty from them concerning games.

All I get is a look us too! attitude about them and it just rubs me the wrong way. I don't get this from the other guys and that's why I'm more tolerant with them when they make mistakes. I usually try not to make posts like this because it's very much a personal feeling, but I've been gaming for almost 30 years now and Microsoft may be the sleaziest fuckers I've ever did business with. Nothing honest about them to me and these recent developments, while not surprising, well it doesn't do a lot to change my mind.
Essentially, Microsoft did not enter the console space because they saw opportunity - they entered because they saw threat. They didn't get in it to build a great gaming device, even if that ended up being the result to some, the overarching goal has been to quash the convergent living room bogeyman, and whoever was making it, that could have taken away the relevance of the Windows PC.

Essentially, Microsoft did not enter the console space because they saw opportunity - they entered because they saw threat. They didn't get in it to build a great gaming device, even if that ended up being the result to some, the overarching goal has been to quash the convergent living room bogeyman, and whoever was making it, that could have taken away the relevance of the Windows PC.

Sure. Again I'm only speaking for myself and I get their business direction, but my god have they been really shitty going about it.

Gestault

That's uhh...a very particular narrative you've woven there.

Fi Fo Nye

Banned
Who is the second source on this outside of Mortimor? I just ran this by a 3rd Party Dev and he told me this is a ludicrous idea.

It does depend on exactly which 3rd party dev you're talking to, does it not? You can't just ask Epic about Fortnite, since they are (probably) only going to be showing on Xbox One anyway.

Oh Ami this came from you? I just assumed I missed some post in the thread. Much more credible and worrisome.

People were quoting Amir0x literally every other post. You missed like ten pages.

SRTtoZ

Normal PS2 bros who were into Final Fantasy, MGS, Gran Turismo, Madden and all the others did not follow all the negative news about Sony in 2006 either, and look how it turned out, half of them did not even buy a PS3.

The absolute worst thing you can do in this industry is to assume the past will repeat itself, it did not for Nintendo (N64), it did not for Sony (PS3), it did not for Nintendo again (Wii U).

Every generation has the giant red RESET button pressed, and everyone starts from scratch.

Exactly. The same people who loved PS2 fled for the 360 when that was released. There's no reason why 360 owners wont flee for the PS4 this time around.

TBF it's a bit too early for that yet. We don't know precisely how these likely expensive new consoles will fare in the current economic climate. No doubt it looks very, very bad for the wii u but it's far too premature to assume how this is going to go down. We're in a very volatile position where bad news can change peoples minds.

I mean who could have predicted the clusterfuck that was the Xbox one. Until at least this Christmas. Sony went from unquestionable first, to loss leader by a large margin due to a few key bad decisions. I wouldn't start making any predictions about how this generation is going to go.

The 3DS had a rough start too and is now the most sold dedicated game system in 2013. When the big nintendo games arrive the Wii U will probably get very high sales.

Biker19

Banned
I tend to agree, but this gen transition is also the first one where players will want to carry their XBL/PSN accounts to a new console. This might influence some people I guess?

I think that it'll become pointless since everything that you buy on XBL/PSN from 360 & PS3 isn't transferable to Xbox One or PS4.

Gorillaz

Sure. Again I'm only speaking for myself and I get their business direction, but my god have they been really shitty going about it.

Didn't one of the old guards basically said they won't stop until Krazy Ken is gone? Something like that.

Thats how fucking crazy they were back then. They still are but they just assume it will "work" for them without actually trying.

It does depend on exactly which 3rd party dev you're talking to, does it not? You can't just ask Epic about Fortnite, since they are (probably) only going to be showing on Xbox One anyway.

People were quoting Amir0x literally every other post. You missed like ten pages.

I'm on my phone :(

Also 3rd Party Dev is one of the big ones.

That's uhh...a very particular narrative you've woven there.

It's not incorrect. Microsoft bought WebTV for the same reason (and created MSNTV and UltimateTV with the tech) back around the turn of the century. When that failed to take off, they abandoned that project to focus on the Xbox once it seemed like consoles not set top boxes were going to dominate the living room.

edit: and reading up on it... (from wiki)

..Microsoft worked with Sega in that same year and developed Microsoft WebTV for the Dreamcast game console. This was the first TV set-top box from a major vendor that offered high-end online gaming, internet access, and interactive television, as well as the first glimpse at WebTV running on Microsoft's Windows CE operating system. This would later lead Microsoft to create their own game consoles (Xbox & Xbox 360) and use this same technology within it. [15]

The 3DS had a rough start too and is now the most sold dedicated game system in 2013. When the big nintendo games arrive the Wii U will probably get very high sales.

Blows my mind how many times this obvious nugget of fact must be reiterated. Do people not realize how fickle we gamers are? Some enticing software is damn near all it takes. Look at the One reveal, all the post news negativity and then ooooo 1080p 60fps Forza motherfucker

Donnie

The Wii has no prayer of running XBONE/PS4 games, 800 gigaflops or no.

It's not selling, and is going to be completely buried by new console hype from E3 until the end of the holiday season in January. Anyone but the nintendo hardcore throwing down cash for it at this point is a fantasy.

Nintendo had (slightly less than) one year to make a case for the WiiU and massively fucked it up. It's done.

Nintendo haven't made their case yet. 3DS sold poorly at first, then came the games and sales changed entirely, Vita being out by then made no difference. It's going to be interesting no doubt, but you haven't seen much in this business if your writing anything off at this point.

Where is that Kotaku guy when you need him? If there is any truth to these rumors, Kotaku (and the rest of the press) need to be all over this. This sort of thing (if true) shouldn't be confined to forum posts.

Gorillaz

"Rosebox... "

Citizen+Kane+snow+globe.gif

Can't find the full scene where he was holding it...whatever close enough

Nintendo haven't made their case yet.

That's entirely my point. If Nintendo hasn't done it by now, they've missed the boat completely.

3DS sold poorly at first, then came the games and sales changed entirely, Vita being out by then made no difference. It's going to be interesting no doubt, but you haven't seen much in this business if your writing anything off at this point.

The 3DS took off once nintendo cut the price substantially. They have no margin with the WiiU to do so, and by all indications price isn't the issue with that console (as it was with the PS3.)

to top it off, build speculation on the PS4 and Xbone has them coming in as low as $399 at retail. The tablet functionality has not caught the attention of casuals, and the games that the core audience is interested either cannot run on the console due to the massive power gap, or lack of interest by third parties in doing so. It's tracking worse than any console since the Saturn. Things are very, VERY bad.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Well, if developers take that money and invest it in the development of optimized PS4 versions, I would like all of this very much.

Tom Penny

It's about mind-share.
If MS appear to have more games then they will look like they've the gamers interest in mind. If all proof of multiplatform status is cloistered inside PR statements posted online after E3 then it'll seem as though MS have the monopoly on third parties. Of course, for us on GAF it has little difference but the mainstream media will probably report titles as being on the platform they're revealed on.

Mind share to who? People that don't know gaming don't know what the fuck E3 is.

Jack_AG

Banned
It's pretty inconceivable and I admit to believing any negativity at the drop of a hat. Guilty as charged but I'll work on it.
The problem isn't "any" negativity. MS has a history of throwing money for nothing but face - this is so much in the "norm" for their business practices you just are inclined to believe it because "Microsoft, business as usual"

Sad but this is the image they created for themselves.

Guevara

It seems to be a 3DS production that will be ported to Vita.

Sounds like no:

That said, neither of the two versions is a port of the other, according to Armature’s Technical Director Jack Mathews. When asked whether 3DS or Vita is the lead platform, Mathews replied: “It’s a combined effort. Most everyone has both dev kits on their desk. Platforms too different to concentrate on one lead.”

Despite the technological differences in platforms, the game will be the same on both 3DS and Vita, with the only major differences being in the graphics department. “Vita has higher res assets, 3DS has 3D,” Mathews confirmed. He elaborated further: “We have custom tools to help generate ideally sized models and textures for each platform from a common source.”

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/2...parallel-on-vita-and-3ds/#tEmQ3QhDXl7uHk2o.99

Sylonious

1.2 - 120 gflops (for 10% reserve)
1.08 * 0.93 (drop to 750 MHZ)
TFlops = 1.0044

With the 35% efficiency improvent with the GCN architecture over the Xenos it's still close to 6 times as powerful as the Xbox 360.

So a downgrade in clockspeed wouldn't be that bad. And are you guys sure they didn't increase the clockspeed up to 900mhz and are now just considering dropping it back down to 800mhz?

I'm hoping the Xbox One does well for console gaming in general. A lot of people will buy an Xbox One no matter what and if they are disappointed in the system they will just buy less games, which will hurt developers and AAA gaming in general. A lot of publishers would love to abandon full retail games for mobile gaming. Any reason will do.

That's entirely my point. If Nintendo hasn't done it by now, they've missed the boat completely.

The 3DS took off once nintendo cut the price substantially. They have no margin with the WiiU to do so, and by all indications price isn't the issue with that console (as it was with the PS3.)

to top it off, build speculation on the PS4 and Xbone has them coming in as low as $399 at retail.

Also 3ds poorly was at least 3-4 times better sales than WiiU poorly, the two situations aren't remotely similar

Donnie

Wii U's problem in this regard is not GPU performance but memory size. 1 GB compared to 5 GB is huge and an enormous obstacle for cross-platform versions.

RAM size would be a bigger problem currently. Though I think it was shown recently that WiiUs OS is only using 300MB at the moment. So there could be plenty of RAM to potentially free up for future games. Let's hope so anyway, I'd rather have more RAM for games than extra OS features.

The problem isn't "any" negativity. MS has a history of throwing money for nothing but face - this is so much in the "norm" for their business practices you just are inclined to believe it because "Microsoft, business as usual"

Sad but this is the image they created for themselves.

True but in spite of my ranting I'm trying to stay level-headed and fair. I was really excited about the One reveal. I wanted them to make me excited. For me it's like, the more the merrier. And I enjoyed the 360 for the most part. I'm simply not a fan of their attitude and approach in many instances.

RAM size would be a bigger problem currently. Though I think it was shown recently that WiiUs OS is only using 300MB at the moment. So there could be plenty of RAM to potentially free up for future games. Let's hope so anyway, I'd rather have more RAM for games than extra OS features.

If the WiiU used literally zero MB of RAM for it's OS, it would still have less than half the RAM of the Xbone for gaming, and less than a third of the gaming RAM of the PS4.

combine that with the huge gap in power between the CPU and GPU, and it's simply not feasible that third parties could port anything- even if nintendo had the marketshare of the Wii to make the prospect attractive.

Nintendo designed a console that NEEDED the casual audience to pick up games, as it would not be running "core titles." Unfortunately that crowd has moved on to the next big thing and Nintendo is in a terrible position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom