• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TSA breaks its own rules in screening a passenger, then seems to lie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaborn

From the TSA blog:

You may have heard in the news about an elderly woman who is stating she was strip searched at New York's JFK airport by TSA officers. TSA contacted the passenger to apologize that she feels she had an unpleasant screening experience; however, TSA does not include strip searches in its protocols and a strip search did not occur in this case. We're currently gathering information and reviewing the screening of this passenger, but we wanted to share what we know so far.

A review of CCTV indicates the passenger opted out of advanced imaging technology and requested a pat-down. It is TSA’s policy that screening procedures are conducted in a manner that treats all passengers with dignity, respect and courtesy.

CCTV shows that the passenger arrived at the ticket counter at 12:19 p.m. for her 1 p.m. scheduled flight which left early at 12:50 p.m.

She entered the checkpoint line in a wheelchair, walker in hand.

The passenger opted out of advanced imaging technology screening, requested a pat-down and told the officers that she was wearing a back brace or support belt which required private screening.

Private screening was conducted by two female officers. The item was removed, rescreened, and the passenger was cleared for travel. Nothing unusual was depicted on the CCTV as the passenger and two female officers entered and exited the room. The wheelchair attendant assisted the passenger in departing the checkpoint area for the gate.

Terrorists remain focused on attacking transportation through tactics such as concealing explosives under clothing. Further, as evidenced by the Christmas Day 2009 attempted bombing, concealed anomalies under clothing must continue to be resolved and cleared as part of the screening process to ensure the item does not pose a threat to the safety of the traveling public. Terrorists and their targets may also range in age. Read here about a group of elderly men who were planning on using toxic ricin against U.S. citizens, U.S government and officials.

From here

So what's the problem? Well, the TSA posted an update:

Since we blogged last weekend about a passenger's screening experience at JFK International Airport, some additional concerns have been raised. We want to clarify a few things but first and foremost, we wanted to ensure our readers understand this:
TSA does not, and has never, conducted strip searches and no strip searches occurred in any of these incidents.

We truly regret these passengers feel they had a bad screening experience. Our goal is to provide the highest level of security while ensuring that all passengers are treated with dignity and respect. We work regularly with a coalition of advocacy groups that represent those with disabilities and medical conditions to help TSA understand their conditions and adapt screening procedures accordingly.

Last week, TSA senior leadership convened a call with these groups to share information about our policies and procedures. TSA informed them that we're in the process of establishing an 800 number dedicated to travelers with disabilities, medical conditions, or those who may require assistance during screening. Passengers will be able to call this number prior to flying to get guidance and information about screening, based on their needs. Additionally, TSA regularly trains its workforce on how to screen travelers with disabilities or medical conditions and has customer service managers on hand at airports to answer questions and assist passengers.

We’ve had some questions since we posted on Ms. Zimmerman’s complaint last weekend.

People wanted to know why we had her remove her back brace when our web page clearly states that our officers will not ask for braces to be removed. To be honest, I was asking myself the same question. Here’s what happened: There was a bit of a miscommunication and our officers were told that the passenger was wearing a money belt. Unlike medical braces and supports, money belts must be removed since they’re not providing any type of medical benefit. After the passenger removed the item, it was then determined to be a Velcro fastened support brace and not a money belt. Since the item had already been removed, our officers had it X-rayed and returned it to the passenger who was then clear to travel.

JKF officers are receiving refresher training to include scenario-based exercises on how to respectfully and safely screen passengers with disabilities or medical conditions to ensure all the proper procedures are followed. Our goal every day is provide the highest level of security, in the most respectful and efficient way possible.

We recommend that all passengers familiarize themselves with security protocols and inform officers prior to screening if they have medical devices that require special screening. It makes things easier for everybody if all parties know in advance what to expect.

From Here

So the woman told them she needed additional screening because of the back brace but the TSA officers thought it was a money belt even though she told them it was a back brace?

Also, about the strip searches - Aren't back braces typically under a person's clothes? How did she remove it without removing her shirt?

Edit: I should give a hat tip to Reason for finding this.

From the TSA blog:

From here

So what's the problem? Well, the TSA posted an update:

From Here

So the woman told them she needed additional screening because of the back brace but the TSA officers thought it was a money belt even though she told them it was a back brace?

Also, about the strip searches - Aren't back braces typically under a person's clothes? How did she remove it without removing her shirt?

Edit: I should give a hat tip to Reason for finding this.

Depends on the back brace. They don't have to be worn under the shirt and all mine I've worn over my shirt. If it's not a heavy duty backbrace it just helps with your posture and it just is velcro that goes around your lower back.

This is similar to the one I use:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OAXE0S/?tag=neogaf0e-20

My grandfather had one that looked like suspenders almost he wore over his shirt but he had more serious back problems. THey definitely have ones you don't have to wear under or if you are it's just velcro so you wouldn't necessarily have to take off your shirt. You can usually take it off by just putting one hand under your shirt and pulling the velcro unless your shirt is a fabrik it will catch on. Back braces look like a brace though... How you confuse that with a money belt I haven't the foggiest.

Gaborn

Depends on the back brace. They don't have to be worn under the shirt and all mine I've worn over my shirt. If it's not a heavy duty backbrace it just helps with your posture and it just is velcro that goes around your lower back.

This is similar to the one I use:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OAXE0S/?tag=neogaf0e-20

My grandfather had one that looked like suspenders almost he wore over his shirt but he had more serious back problems. THey definitely have ones you don't have to wear under or if you are it's just velcro so you wouldn't necessarily have to take off your shirt. You can usually take it off by just putting one hand under your shirt and pulling the velcro unless your shirt is a fabrik it will catch on. Back braces look like a brace though... How you confuse that with a money belt I haven't the foggiest.

I see, thanks for the clarification.

And my guess is they DIDN'T confuse it with a money belt, that's just a lame excuse since they didn't follow their own policy.

Gattsu25

Banned
I get pulled over by the TSA close to 1/2 of the time I go through them (I take between 1-2 round trips a month).

Full pat downs and the wipes that are supposed to detect explosives, every time. They also go through my carry-ons, frequently. Never a strip search.

I see, thanks for the clarification.

And my guess is they DIDN'T confuse it with a money belt, that's just a lame excuse since they didn't follow their own policy.

Haha, I'm pretty sure it is also. If you look at mine it's like a really low end back brace because my back problems aren't too bad. My grandfather had it worse and had a lot bigger of a back brace. Like I said, to actually confuse that with a money belt is rather ridiculous.

DiscoJer

Wow, a government agency abusing its power, then lying about it. Who ever would imagine such a thing?

And in other police state news, the lawsuit against those cops that launched that horrible drug raid in Columbia Mo that resulted in firing lots of bullets around children (and hitting dogs) over a small amount of pot has been tossed.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2011/nov/21/judge-dismisses-lawsuit-over-swat-raid/

Isn't it nice to know that any minute you could have a SWAT team bust through your door and spray your place with bullets, and it's considered acceptable by the government?

Gaborn

Wow, a government agency abusing its power, then lying about it. Who ever would imagine such a thing?

And in other police state news, the lawsuit against those cops that launched that horrible drug raid in Columbia Mo that resulted in firing lots of bullets around children (and hitting dogs) over a small amount of pot has been tossed.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2011/nov/21/judge-dismisses-lawsuit-over-swat-raid/

Isn't it nice to know that any minute you could have a SWAT team bust through your door and spray your place with bullets, and it's considered acceptable by the government?

Indeed. (warning, contains graphic imagery)

Last time I went through airport security I automatically walked to the metal detector without thinking about the scanner (which I would refuse anyway), and the guy at the detector asked me "You opting out?" I gave him a blank stare for a second at which point he waved me through the detector and said "Eh forget it."

The TSA, saving your life from something something something.

But that's the weirdest thing. Unless she has a really heavy duty brace she wouldn't have to take off her shirt so she goes into another room, removes it while fully clothed, they scan it and return it. If you go by the initial story the only "abuse" is that you don't have to remove a back brace since it's a medical device but it's such an easy thing to remove it's almost comical that they make up a whole lie to "cover it up". Yes she shouldn't have had to remove it but if it was just an average brace there is no removal of clothing necessary and doesn't suggest any in the original post so to make that convoluted of a story just for that is such a huge overreaction by them.

Gaborn

But that's the weirdest thing. Unless she has a really heavy duty brace she wouldn't have to take off her shirt so she goes into another room, removes it while fully clothed, they scan it and return it. If you go by the initial story the only "abuse" is that you don't have to remove a back brace since it's a medical device but it's such an easy thing to remove it's almost comical that they make up a whole lie to "cover it up". Yes she shouldn't have had to remove it but if it was just an average brace there is no removal of clothing necessary and doesn't suggest any in the original post so to make that convoluted of a story just for that is such a huge overreaction by them.

but the thing is she says she was strip searched. I'm inclined to believe her. I think it is likely her brace WAS under her clothes, that would make the most sense for her telling them about it and asking for the screening rather than just showing them. It's also consistent with her claim of the strip search, strip as in remove her shirt.

but the thing is she says she was strip searched. I'm inclined to believe her. I think it is likely her brace WAS under her clothes, that would make the most sense for her telling them about it and asking for the screening rather than just showing them. It's also consistent with her claim of the strip search, strip as in remove her shirt.

Whoops, I missed that part. I just saw it kept saying no strip search. Ya, that's messed up then. They have the tape though right? I mean they say there was nothing funny on the CCTV so for the person to say that they tape those things? If so why not release the tape if they claim they didn't?

then you might as well be a terrorist if you wear a fanny pack.

That's the distinction though, terrorist use fanny packs where as americans use money belts. This woman was probably just out of the loop on the lingo.

A lot of people like to strike up controversy over pretty standard procedure. Not sure why this story matters at all. An agent thought she was hiding a money belt (or forgot about it) and the old lady had to show that it was not a money belt. It's a special case since back braces aren't all that common.

Also I don't think just taking off your shirt counts as a strip search.

Hari Seldon

I actually had a fairly pleasant experience with TSA while traveling last weekend. I took my baby through for the first time with a stroller, milk, breast pump, the whole jazz. No problems at all. Someone in our group actually forgot to bring their newest driver's license, and the TSA even let them through, they just had to undergo additional screening. So +1 in my anecdote.

Shanadeus

Banned
This is why I shall never return to the U.S.A.
Your fascist screening methods over there, I'd rather go to a third world country than the U.S.A as of now.

Gaborn

A lot of people like to strike up controversy over pretty standard procedure. Not sure why this story matters at all. An agent thought she was hiding a money belt (or forgot about it) and the old lady had to show that it was not a money belt. It's a special case since back braces aren't all that common.

According to TSA rules a back brace should not be removed. According to the TSA originally she told them she had it which is why SHE ASKED FOR SPECIAL SCREENING. They didn't think she was "hiding" a money belt, the TSA's SECOND explanation was the TSA was "told" it was a money belt. The fact though is the TSA going by their first account which is wholly inconsistent with their second account and therefore more likely to be the truth before it was santized violated their own procedures.

Also I don't think just taking off your shirt counts as a strip search.

Maybe not but to an elderly lady I could see how it would be extremely traumatic not to mention totally unnecessary.

goodfella

As someone from the UK, I really don't see why the TSA is seen as such a bad thing. Sure, it's not ideal, but it is better than nothing, right?

The inconvenience caused seems to me to pale in comparison to the reduction in risk.

As someone from the UK, I really don't see why the TSA is seen as such a bad thing. Sure, it's not ideal, but it is better than nothing, right?

The inconvenience caused seems to me to pale in comparison to the reduction in risk.

... I'm unconvinced that any reasonably competent terrorist would be unable to weasel around the measures.

way more

That's sheeple talk. Any form of security is just theater meant to make you feel safe and crawl deeper into the bosom of Big Brother (Sister?) You really think we wouldn't be safer if we simply allowed people to carry on knives, guns, and alcohol?

What reduction in risk? As far as I know it has not been proven that it reduces risk in any way.

That's sheeple talk. Any form of security is just theater meant to make you feel safe and crawl deeper into the bosom of Big Brother (Sister?) You really think we wouldn't be safer if we simply allowed people to carry on knives, guns, and alcohol?

Yes, I too, remember the glory days of 2000 when I could carry my revolver and hunting knife onto every plane in the united states! We sure had it good back then. I feel so much better now that I know dangerous printer cartridges aren't allowed on planes with me.

way more

Yes, I too, remember the glory days of 2000 when I could carry my revolver and hunting knife onto every plane in the united states! We sure had it good back then. I feel so much better now that I know dangerous printer cartridges aren't allowed on planes with me.

So you do support infringement on my rights?

Debated whether or not to make a new thread but it didn't quite seem newsworthy. Just more inconsistency and theater from the TSA. This woman knows whats really going on though and she called them out on it.

PEABODY, Mass. -- An airport security officer confiscated a frosted cupcake amid fears its icing could be a security risk, according to reports.

Rebecca Hains said the Transportation Security Administration agent at McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas took her cupcake Wednesday. According to Hains, he told her its frosting was enough like a gel to violate TSA restrictions on allowing liquids and gels onto flights to prevent them from being used as explosives.

"I just thought this was terrible logic," Hains said Friday.

Hains said the agent didn't seem concerned that the red velvet cupcake, which was packaged in an 8-ounce mason jar, could actually be explosive, just that it fit some bureaucratic definition about what was prohibited.

"Once he had identified it as a security threat it was no longer mine and I couldn't have it back," Hains told NBC station WHDH.

Hains, a 35-year-old communications professor at Salem State University, said she told the agent she had passed through security at Boston's Logan International Airport earlier in the week with two cupcakes packaged in jars, gifts from a student. But she said the agent told her that just meant TSA officials in Boston didn't do its job.

"The TSA agent who saw them, picked them up and said, 'these look delicious,' and sent me on my way," Hains told WHDH.

The TSA, which is entrusted with protecting the nation's transportation system, was reviewing the incident, agency spokesman Nico Melendez said. Passengers are allowed to take cakes and cupcakes through checkpoints, he said.

Hains, who lives in Peabody, just north of Boston, said the encounter highlighted the ludicrousness of TSA policies.

"It's not really about the cupcake; I can get another cupcake," she added. "It's about an encroachment on civil liberties. We're just building up a resistance and tolerance to all these things they're doing in the name of security, when it's really theater. It is not keeping us safe."

daycru

Hey man, they're heroes. I can't tell you why exactly, they just are, okay? Would you sue Superman?

Is the TSA the absolute worst agency ever spawned by the federal government? Surely they are a top contender in virtually all important categories - waste, incompetence, inefficacy, propaganda, infringing on personal freedoms, etc.

El Sloth

Banned
Soooooo no interest?
I don't know about other people, but the TSA has done so much shit and yet still continues on like nothing that it doesn't feel worth it to get outraged anymore. What I'm trying to say is that it doesn't feel like I can do anything about them anyways.

daycru

Is the TSA the absolute worst agency ever spawned by the federal government? Surely they are a top contender in virtually all important categories - waste, incompetence, inefficacy, propaganda, infringing on personal freedoms, etc.
That'd make them the best, right? The model agency.

Meh. Most of the whining about the TSA is more of an issue with low-paid poorly-trained TSA workers and not some grand police state conspiracy.

Usama's dead. The Iraq war is over. So we should quietly cut back on some of the TSA bullshit so it is less of a hassle. But it is not like it is a huge hassle as is.

Xanathus

At this point a TSA agent could shoot an 80-year old grandmother in the head and call her a terrorist and nothing would be done about it.

Meh. Most of the whining about the TSA is more of an issue with low-paid poorly-trained TSA workers and not some grand police state conspiracy.

Usama's dead. The Iraq war is over. So we should quietly cut back on some of the TSA bullshit so it is less of a hassle. But it is not like it is a huge hassle as is.

Speak for yourself, they always assume my implant is a bomb. TSA is horrible for people with disabilities and prosthetics. The way some of the most vulnerable people in our society are being treated at airports is a national shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom