• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TSE: Nintendo is now worth more than Sony Corp (Market Cap)

B.O.O.M

Market cap is used as a way to value intangible assets like IPs, future earning potential and stability of your brand operations in the industry they operate in. This number is often used to estimate how much money you would need to pay to buy a company outright.

Ding. Exactly.

That first page tho lmao. What a remarkable set of replies

ggx2ac

Deeke[VRZ];241600656 said:
Nevermind, I see it now!

I was checking what you mentioned and that is a weird discrepancy considering I pulled that Tweet today from Takashi Mochizuki of WSJ that was talking about how Nintendo's Market Cap became higher than Sony's.

KtSlime

How is this even possible with 60 million PS4's sold?

Sony seriously need to clean up the other arms of their business, and by clean up I mean cut them adrift

The PlayStation arm is one of the ones that many think should be spun off. Sony would likely be much more stable and have higher valuation if they stuck to banking and financial services.

spekkeh

Banned
I should've invested in some Nintendo stock. Fuck. Is it too late now?

They also have divisions that bleed money. Last I heard, only the financial and Playstation divisions were making any money. Pictures, consumer electronics, etc, they're all crap.
Between mobile and Switch, I still think it's going to approach Nintendo's previous peak of Wii and DS. Maybe not quite that high, but close. It was at 70k then and is at 38k now. Say it reaches 55k max, then you're still looking at a 45% increase. So if you invest $1500 (and take away some $20 for costs) you'll earn about $646 in a year by doing nothing.

so based on this, Nintendo is the winner of this console gen?
image.php

Trup1aya

Don't know much about market cap and all that, though didn't Sony make more from their network services in one quarter than Nintendo made the whole year?

Yeah they did: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-04-28-sonys-psn-is-making-more-money-than-all-of-nintendo so not sure how or what this all correlates to.
Is it market worth/value or how exactly?

Market cap is how much a company is worth to investors. Having a high market cap indicates that investors believe the company is on a growth trajectory. This is how a company with relatively low revenues can end up with a higher market cap. Investors see a bright future for Nintendo.

The simplicity of Nintendos business is currently a strength for them. Their IP has proven to be incredibly strong, and their hardware is in high demand. The Switch shortage is temporary, and the SNES mini will be a massive hit and priced to reflect its high demand. It's hard not to see Why investors are confident in Nintendo.

A Sony investment is less promising. Sure they've sold a lot of consoles, but margins are shrinking and their operating costs are higher. Not to mention segments of their business is struggling.

Mokubba

We had. Sony (or even PlayStation) sales are far bigger than Nintendo. Market cap is not how much you make in terms of sales, operating income or net income.

Posting this again, but in terms of operating income, last fiscal year was 288,7 billion yen for Sony Corp (135,6 billion yen for PlayStation) and 29,3 billion yen for Nintendo.

Got you.
Thanks for the explanation.

They may not sell amazingly well but they are one of the few smartphone manufacturers turning a profit.

Never thought I would see the day lol.
I know Sony was the first to really go hard in on 4K so at least it's paying off for them.

I also expect their phone division to do better with the XZ premium.

A Sony investment is less promising. Sure they've sold a lot of consoles, but margins are shrinking and their operating costs are higher. Not to mention segments of their business is struggling.

Aren't they forecasting their biggest profits since 1998 or something like that?

Don't worry, investors. Sony brought Tom Rothman on board to save their failing film division.

Seriously though, Sony Pictures just seems to be a big drag on the whole operation. I'm sure investor confidence would see a pretty big surge if they just axed it. I don't think their TVs and phones are doing so hot either, but I doubt they're losing money. Playstation and Sony Financial of course are doing great, as always.

Speaking of valuable IP, how much do you reckon the Pokemon IP would fetch on an open market? Hundreds of millions?

Pokemon consistently earns a billion a year with licensing and merchandise. Selling the IP for hundreds of millions would be an immensely severe undercut.

marmoka

Banned
NINTENDOOM!!

And many of us thought Switch would be a failure after the January presentation.

We were so ignorant... We didn't know what was coming.

With all the great work Nintendo has done with Switch, the company deserves all the best. And we all need a Switch.

Between mobile and Switch, I still think it's going to approach Nintendo's previous peak of Wii and DS. Maybe not quite that high, but close. It was at 70k then and is at 38k now. Say it reaches 55k max, then you're still looking at a 45% increase. So if you invest $1500 (and take away some $20 for costs) you'll earn about $646 in a year by doing nothing.
Thanks. Will look into this tomorrow.

Market cap is how much a company is worth to investors. Having a high market cap indicates that investors believe the company is on a growth trajectory. This is how a company with relatively low revenues can end up with a higher market cap. Investors see a bright future for Nintendo.

The simplicity of Nintendos business is currently a strength for them. Their IP has proven to be incredibly strong, and their hardware is in high demand. The Switch shortage is temporary, and the SNES mini will be a massive hit and priced to reflect its high demand. It's hard not to see Why investors are confident in Nintendo.

A large and "sluggish" conglomerate will always be less interesting for the kind of investors we are talking about.

Shin

Banned
Market cap is used as a way to value intangible assets like IPs, future earning potential and stability of your brand operations in the industry they operate in. This number is often used to estimate how much money you would need to pay to buy a company outright.

Perfect, cheers.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Do some of you not know the difference between market cap and revenue? Y'all are really embarrassing yourselves with some of the posts in here.

If we like money talk, let's compare more closely how both companies are doing.

FY2017

SONY
Sales : 68,8 billion dollars
Operating income : 2,5 billion dollars
Net income : 654 million dollars

PLAYSTATION
Sales : 14,7 billion dollars
Operating income : 1,2 billion dollars
Net income : ???

NINTENDO
Sales : 4,4 billion dollars
Operating income : 263 million dollars
Net income : 912 million dollars

Notice how the net income of Nintendo is curiously higher than the whole Sony despite sales and operating income being largely in favor of Kaz's house ? That's because for that fiscal year Nintendo got 64.5 billion yen as extraordinary income by selling the Seattle Mariners.

Dingens

People should stop applying American measurements to non-American companies, especially Japanese ones. Stock markets don't exactly serve the same function all over the world, and especially in Japan there is more to it than meets the eye. It's not a good indicator for anything.

kyser73

I should've invested in some Nintendo stock. Fuck. Is it too late now?

They also have divisions that bleed money. Last I heard, only the financial and Playstation divisions were making any money. Pictures, consumer electronics, etc, they're all crap.

'Last I heard'

Maybe just look online at the last year's results.

Ninferno

It's funny how many people here are shouting "but Sony's revenue is currently XXX times Nintendo's". Of course we know that, and you are effectively comparing Sony at its prime time (relatively speaking) vs Nintendo at its low towards the end of WiiU and 3DS. Stock prices are always about outlooks, not about last year's financial reports. The stock price rises when investors SPECULATE the company is getting better, such as Nintendo now with the positive outlook of the Switch. The most ridiculous response you could possibly have to this news is to pull out last FY's earning from Nintendo and Sony and scream "How on earth is this market cap BS possible???!!!!" as many people in this thread are currently doing.

Stock price always rises first, revenue may follow, which justifies the stock price; or it may not, leading a plunge of stock price. There's absolutely no point in comparing revenue/profit now. If you really want to compare revenue, compare Nintendo's now vs its own peak previously, because that's what the investors are hoping for now and using as benchmark.

B.O.O.M

If we like money talk, let's compare more closely how both companies are doing.

FY2017

SONY
Sales : 68,8 billion dollars
Operating income : 2,5 billion dollars
Net income : 654 million dollars

PLAYSTATION
Sales : 14,7 billion dollars
Operating income : 1,2 billion dollars
Net income : ???

NINTENDO
Sales : 4,4 billion dollars
Operating income : 263 million dollars
Net income : 912 million dollars

Notice how the net income of Nintendo is curiously higher than the whole Sony despite sales and operating income being largely in favor of Kaz's house ? That's because for that fiscal year Nintendo got 64.5 billion yen as extraordinary income by selling the Seattle Mariners.

Had no idea they had an ownership stake of the Mariners. Interesting. I wonder if there's a list of firms that has ownership of sports teams like this.

Nanashrew

Banned
Had no idea they had an ownership stake of the Mariners. Interesting. I wonder if there's a list of firms that has ownership of sports teams like this.

It was a good will gesture from the Yamauchi era of Nintendo for allowing Nintendo to do business in America. The Mariners were facing financial trouble so Yamauchi bought them which allowed them to stay in Seattle. Kind of impressive they held on to the Mariners for so long. Even after being sold off, the Mariners still thanked Nintendo for the things they did because they likely wouldn't be around at all today had they not stepped in.

Usobuko

Banned
Investors justified by Nintendo going into mobile market.

Everyone who says otherwise devalued Nintendo IP appeal to mass market.

I'll say it again, investors justified. Anyone wanna challenge this?

Now you can be happy your favorite company beat its nemesis.

Gitaroo

not suprising consider the amount of bloat Sony is carrying with them like the movies and TV department that most investors are telling them to sell it off that affect a huge part of their market value. While Nintendo on the other hand doesn't have any of those but strong IP, the company is pin point focus on games.

Usobuko

Banned
Nintendo is valued this high because of its potential. Mainly ip potential and in mobile space.

I personally think it's a little too high but it's more or least around the ballpark it deserves.

Trup1aya

Aren't they forecasting their biggest profits since 1998 or something like that?

Sure, I wasn't trying to suggest Sony was a bad investment. Just why investors might be more interested in Nintendo.

I don't foresee much relative growth for Sony in the coming quarters, while I expect Nintendo to explode so long as they can manufacture enough hardware to meet demand- they are dabbling in mobile phone software, their home console is tapping into their handheld strengths, and people are willing to pay hundreds of dollars for mini classic systems, and they are charging for online. The next few years are going to be unreal for Nintendo profits.

This already happened, didn't it? I thought they were just finance, PlayStation and cameras now w/ their other arms being spun off or shutdown (Vaio).

They still sell all kinds of electronics like TVs, audio systems and Bluray players. And im not sure if this also covers Sony Pictures movie divisions etc.

Top Bottom