• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TSE: Nintendo is now worth more than Sony Corp (Market Cap)

ggx2ac

Update:

Link: http://asia.nikkei.com/Markets/Tokyo-Market/Switch-catapults-Nintendo-s-market-cap-past-Sony-s

Nintendo 's market capitalization hit 5.44 trillion yen ($48.9 billion) on Friday, surpassing Sony's for the first time in 11 months, as the soaring popularity of its Switch console drew investors to the game developer's stock.
The Kyoto-based company's market cap reached the highest since October 2008.

Investors rushed to buy after the company said Thursday that it will ramp up shipments of the Switch in July and August amid a shortage.
While the game developer initially planned to sell 10 million Switch consoles in the year ending March 2018, investors are "widely anticipating production to exceed plans," says Masahiro Ono of Morgan Stanley MUFG Securities.

Analysts expect Nintendo to book a net profit of 93.1 billion yen -- double the company's own projections -- for the current fiscal year ending in March. Some suspect the stock is overheating as the company's forward price-earnings ratio climbs past 100.

Original:

Today (23rd of June, 2017) on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, Nintendo has now hit a Market Cap of ¥5.45T(~$49B), compared to Sony Corp with a market cap of ¥5.40T(~$48.5B)

DC_JG6sUQAEMkq0.jpg

DC_JHveUIAAn5u9.jpg

Some Trivia:

- Earlier in June when Nintendo hit the ¥5T ($45.2B) Market Cap, that was the first time in eight years and five months.

- It is now one of the top 15 companies by Market Cap on the Tokyo Stock Exchange ahead of companies like the Mizuho Financial Group and Nissan Motors.

- Nintendo's market cap once reached 10 trillion yen in 2007 amid the initial success of the Wii console, only to later sink back to 1 trillion yen.

Source for all the above trivia: http://asia.nikkei.com/Markets/Equities/Nintendo-market-cap-hits-5tn-yen

Last time Nintendo valued more than Sony was last year's Pokémon Go craze. That lasted only a day. - Takashi Mochizuki

- I could not find a historical market cap for Sony but their highest(?) peak in share price was ¥31,000 on March 3rd, 2000. (I can't find how many outstanding shares they had at that time.)

- Not related to Market Cap but Nintendo has between 5,000-6,000 employees while Sony has 146,300.

Apple, Alphabet and Microsoft are still giants in comparison with Apple having almost $800 billion in Market Capitalization.

hatchx

Banned
I feel really happy about buying Nintendo stock late last year. The gains will cover any gaming expense I'd have all year and then some.

Machina

Banned
How is this even possible with 60 million PS4's sold?

Sony seriously need to clean up the other arms of their business, and by clean up I mean cut them adrift

That's really cool. It's interesting that a video game only company managed to make more than one that does movies, games, music and all kinds of hardware.

I get what you mean but they do not "make more" though, market cap is something else, I believe it's the perceived value of the company's shares.

In terms of operating income for example, last fiscal year was 288,7 billion yen for Sony Corp (135,6 billion yen for PlayStation) and 29,3 billion yen for Nintendo.

TDLink

Shows how undervalued Sony is.

More like how in trouble Sony is. This is pretty embarrassing for them. Nintendo is a company dedicated to only one industry, while Sony has its hands in many. They're a big multinational corporation. Their games division is of course doing the best, but it's real bad indicator for them as a company in general. Sadly it's only another notch on several major negative signs that the company is floundering in the last decade.

D.Lo

Every sign of the Switch being the new Wii keeps rolling by.

And hopefully, with no HD transition to handle and a combined development ecosystem, this time it won't collapse in year six due to losing focus.

Iwata vindicated again.

How is this even possible with 60 million PS4's sold?

Sony seriously need to clean up the other arms of their business, and by clean up I mean cut them adrift
This already happened, didn't it? I thought they were just finance, PlayStation and cameras now w/ their other arms being spun off or shutdown (Vaio).

Machina

Banned
This already happened, didn't it? I thought they were just finance, PlayStation and cameras now w/ their other arms being spun off or shutdown (Vaio).

They're still making TV's that nobody buys IIRC, and it's quite frankly remarkable that they can still be the tip of the spear in the likes of console VR when they're struggling so badly

Dynomutt

I'm absolutely astonished at some of the posts in this thread lol. Definitely a video game enthusiast forum and not a business one.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I think it's more a reflection of how poorly Sony is doing than anything else, but hey -- good for Nintendo. They finally figured it out.

Toki767

I'm curious how much PlayStation would be worth if they were a separate company.

Or Sony with just their video game and camera business as those seem to be the most profitable.

I see this as a disaster for Sony, their investors will not be happy triggering further loses

Kaz is doing a good job and Sony is pretty healthy, at least when they get the movie division in line or just sell it. It's more or less the same with the smartphone division.

Top Bottom