• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tsunekazu Ishihara talks Pokémon on Switch (ToyoKeizai Online Interview)

greelay

F*****, is he setting up for disappointment with the next Pokemon game being a 3DS exclusive? Sure sounds like it. I could see it being the 3DS's swan song and the switch only getting shitty side games.

Maybe, but I didn't really get that impression. To me, it sounded like we weren't getting Pokemon stars, though.

What the fuck is it with this company man.

Have to change the game due to the "nature" of the switch?

JUST MAKE THE SAME GAME ON SWITCH AND CALL IT A DAY. THIS ISNT FUCKING ROCKET SCIENCE

But Eurogamer said they are betting their credibility on it.

I hope they're right. If I buy this damn thing and my only options are some spin-off games (that isn't a snap sequel), I'll be livid.

JUST MAKE THE SAME GAME ON SWITCH AND CALL IT A DAY. THIS ISNT FUCKING ROCKET SCIENCE

Exactly. They always overthink the shit out of everything and come to a stupid ass conclusion.

Guys, they're not going to confirm if they're making a new main Pokemon game in a fucking interview like this, so stop freaking out and embarrassing yourselves.

Companies all the time make statements like this even when unannounced games are like 50% done. It doesn't mean a damn thing.

Gradon

This is really disappointing to read, and doesnt make much sense when the Switch is both a handheld and console.

If Stars was real I would buy it instantly since I've skipped on Gen 7 ATM for this possibility alone...

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
You are living in a dream world if you think Nintendo can afford not to have Pokemon on the Switch. It will be announced as soon as they are ready to stop pretending the 3DS has a future.

Pokemaniac

If they don't get proper mainline pokemon games on Switch it would be the single most stupid thing imaginable. All of this "it was designed to be played on a handheld for trading and battling" is 100% crap. I expect most people trade and battle with the internet now anyway, which can be done from your home.

Pokemon Stars, upscaled to higher resolutions on Switch would sell gangbusters.

The main doubt is not that there won't be a main series game on the Switch (all indications seem to point to Pokémon moving to Switch by Gen VIII), it is whether or not Gen VII will finish on the 3DS or move over to the Switch. Pokémon has never transitioned hardware mid-gen, and for good reason.

Can't wait for the first Pokemon game on switch to be missing features the 7 games before it just because it's on new hardware and, like, HD is hard

For real man, they act like they haven't just rehashed the same games for 15 years already.

PaulBizkit

Pokemon on a console would be the death of me and my gf. Since XY, we've been playing together, each on a different version.

Guys, they're not going to confirm if they're making a new main Pokemon game in a fucking interview like this, so stop freaking out and embarrassing yourselves.

Companies all the time make statements like this even when unannounced games are like 50% done. It doesn't mean a damn thing.
I don't expect them to announce anything but this kind of talk gives me paper mario like flashbacks with "well we can't make a new game unless we figure out a new thing to do with paper; also Mario and Luigi is the RPG series and we can't have more than one!" like ludicrous reasoning that just gives me a terrible impression as to their understanding of what people want or always coming to arbitrary random conclusions based on logic literally nobody but them agrees with

Mawile

Banned
I still don't think the Switch is a replacement for the smaller portables. It's larger and lacks dual screens which have been important to their smaller portables for a while.

Pokemon has benefited tremendously with dual screens.

bumpkin

Stars needs to be real. If Nintendo really wants the Switch to take off in Japan, it needs a mainline Pokemon game. The Switch practically begs for it with the portability and the local wireless feature.

And I'm selfish and really want an HD Pokemon game.

I don't expect them to announce anything but this kind of talk gives me paper mario like flashbacks with "well we can't make a new game unless we figure out a new thing to do with paper; also Mario and Luigi is the RPG series and we can't have more than one!" like ludicrous reasoning that just gives me a terrible impression as to their understanding of what people want or always coming to arbitrary random conclusions based on logic literally nobody but them agrees with

That's exactly what I thought of when I read this. Especially miyamotos intervention with the story.

Seik

Banned
Pokken on Switch is very essential.

Especially how they treat the Wii U version vs the arcade one. There's like tons of new content on Arcade that never made it on the Wii U, time to make a Definitive Edition!

jstripes

Banned
Translation: "Fuck off, hikkikomoris. You're still not getting a home console Pokémon."

It's amazing. They're really sticking to their principles, and leaving hundreds of millions of dollars on the table, on keeping it a social game for handhelds.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Personally I'd rather have a full remake of Red and Blue all over again.

Amen. It would go so well with the fan service Pokemon Go provided. Hell a Pokemon Red Gold/Silver Blue, combo game would be amazing and a hell of a punch (I mean both worlds are connected, why not push the stories completely together in one killer combo game remake)

Aleh

It's amazing. They're really sticking to their principles, and leaving hundreds of millions of dollars on the table, on keeping it a social game for handhelds.
But... the Switch is a handheld... I really think they don't actually mean it. They must just be making up excuses to buy time to let SM (and the 3DS) sell some more.
Personally I'd rather have a full remake of Red and Blue all over again.
Oh come on, enough with Gen 1 stuff, it's really not fair to other gens. And a second remake would be boring, there's only so much they can change to make it interesting. A sequel set many many years after them would be a better choice, at least.

JoeM86

You guys really are reading this in some warped ways. He all but confirms it, but says nothing to announce.

Pokémon Sun & Moon have sold over 14 million units in less than 2 months on sale.

Wii U has sold less than 14 million units in over 4 years on sale.

Yeah. HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS

Pagusas

Elden Member
Pokémon Sun & Moon have sold over 14 million units in less than 2 months on sale.

So do you think we will see a 2nd pilar 100% portable device in the future from Nintendo?

I firmly believe in a years time, maybe 1.5 years, the switch will be so cheap to produce Nintendo will make a smaller, completely portable version for $180-$200. Maybe we'll see an updated dock to make a Switch Pro to give the home system a bit of a kick also.

But I fully believe the Switch ECOSYSTEM is what is the future for Nintendo, and gamefreak.

jstripes

Banned

First of all, I didn't say Wii U. People have been begging for a mainline Pokémon on home consoles in general for 20 years now.

Second, selling even 10 million copies of a game can bring in hundreds of millions.

sugarless

So do you think we will see a 2nd pilar 100% portable device in the future from Nintendo?

I firmly believe in a years time, maybe 1.5 years, the switch will be so cheap to produce Nintendo will make a smaller, completely portable version for $180-$200. Maybe we'll see an updated dock to make a Switch Pro to give the home system a bit of a kick also.

But I fully believe the Switch ECOSYSTEM is what is the future for Nintendo, and gamefreak.

Well, they did take the 3DS and "gimped", if that's not too harsh a word, the original main selling point to make the cheaper 2DS. It was mocked on principle at first but I think it's done fairly well on its own terms.

On the one hand it could be easy enough to take docking features out and make a portable-only Switch. Branding-wise, though, it could be a nightmare. After struggling to get people to realise Wii U was not a Wii add-on, and then making the Switch proposition much clearer, to then muddy the waters again with the Switch Go or SwitchBoy or whatever could be too much.

Mawile

Banned

Actually, I do. I think one thing to keep in mind is that if the Wii U was a success, continuing on with 3DS for a year or two longer would be fine because this is still that console's typical generation cycle. Switch was intended to combat the losses of the Wii U as Wii U was cut mid generation for that system so the reason we even have 3DS and Switch at the moment instead of let's say...the next Nintendo portable, is because 3DS's life cycle is not dead and it didn't heavily flop like Wii U's which got cut early.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the system itself is not as portable as the smaller systems and it lacks the dual screens which have been such a huge boon for gaming on a handheld, especially games like Pokemon, Animal Crossing, and Zelda. Switch is larger, and although it is portable, it's still not as portable as simply putting something in your pocket. You can just close the screen as well which offers screen protection.

You can say that "but you can place the switch in your pockets!", yes, you can, but the screen won't be protected and that's one pocket more than just a typical portable. Not just that, but you'll have to deal with two devices in the other pocket with analog sticks jutting out which will be uncomfortable.

The Switch is a portable system, but it's not a replacement for the much more portable handhelds Nintendo generally makes. 3DS is still in Nintendo's typical handheld cycle cause it didn't fail, so it'll continue for a little bit longer.

udivision

Game Freak really has to bite the bullet. THe problem is, the development cost of Pokemon is going to start shooting up. But there should be a lot of improvements for the players so maybe it's worth it.

Neoxon

It means "fuck we have to make an engine that is capable of looking and running well now." I can't wait!

Just like Monster Hunter, Game Freak will do everything they can to not make HD assets.
Their current engine was made with future-proofing in mind.

So what about Pokémon Stars? False rumour? They'd change the formula? Are they going to continue on the 3DS for the time being?
Yes, very much that.

Very much indeed.
It's too soon to say if the report was legit or false. TPC wasn't gonna reveal Stars (if it's real) at the Switch presentation unless they wanted to kneecap Sun/Moon sales. I'd start getting concerned if we come close to E3 with no reveal.

Just like Monster Hunter, Game Freak will do everything they can to not make HD assets.

HD assets already exist in Sun/Moon. Emulated, those games look absolutely gorgeous because the models are already high quality. It's just certain textures that are still low-quality/pixelated.

Neoxon

Pokken on Switch is very essential.

Especially how they treat the Wii U version vs the arcade one. There's like tons of new content on Arcade that never made it on the Wii U, time to make a Definitive Edition!
This. The fact that Pokkén put up a fantastic fight against UMvC3 in the EVO Donation Drive is definitely proof that the Pokkén community is dedicated. Might as well throw them a bone with an updated Switch port.

Neoxon

I still don't think the Switch is a replacement for the smaller portables. It's larger and lacks dual screens which have been important to their smaller portables for a while.

Pokemon has benefited tremendously with dual screens.
If we get something with more pocketable form-factor, it'll basically be a Switch Mini. I can't see Nintendo making a completely separate portable platform with its own library of games unless the Switch bombs hard.

As for Pokémon benefitting from dual screens, Sun/Moon already started to move away from 3DS-specific features. Sun/Moon doesn't even use the bottom screen that often outside of battle. At the very least, I can see the next mainline release being cross-gen (if it's not Switch-only like Eurogamer said).

If we get something with more pocketable form-factor, it'll basically be a Switch Mini. I can't see Nintendo making a completely separate portable platform with its own library of games unless the Switch bombs hard.

As for Pokémon benefitting from dual screens, Sun/Moon already started to move away from 3DS-specific features. Sun/Moon doesn't even use the bottom screen that often outside of battle.
Not to mention with the Switch's screen size and resolution they'd easily be able to have all the bottom screen information on the single screen with no clutter.

I too think the 3ds "successor" will just be a smaller, cheaper Switch with the controls built in and some stuff like HD rumble removed. It wouldn't come with a dock, but would still be compatible with them.

gaiadyne

I've been thinking about this but there really hasn't been any Gen VII spin off titles yet. I think there is a strong possibility that the first Pokemon game on the Switch won't be a game like Stars but instead one of the spinoffs. I'm 100% okay with this if it's a game like Mystery Dungeon, Conquest, or Rumble and not Dash.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Imo they need a pokemon game on switch. If the switch takes off there is no chance of a 3ds successor. The switch is the 3ds successor! They cant keep releasing it on 3ds.

Honestly its time the pokemon formula changed. I loved the games but they have got really stale. To be fair sun/moon changed it up a bit but Pokemon needs a big change.

I'll be really disappointed if they dont bring a main pokemon game out for the switch.

Aleh

A new Pokémon Ranger for Switch would be nice too since it's been a while, I really liked Shadows of Almia. It's my second favorite spin-off, first one being Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Time/Darkness, but they basically abandoned the concept for a long time now.

Kimishima or someone higher up really needs to be making a Yamauchi style phone call with these people at this point and letting them know they're expected to put the next Pokémon mainline RPG on Switch.

Top Bottom