• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tsunekazu Ishihara talks Pokémon on Switch (ToyoKeizai Online Interview)

opricnik

Banned
So if Pokemon RPG not on Switch does that confirm it will be on Mobile?
I mean PokeGo made money like crazy i wouldnt cross idea yet.Maybe 3DS/Mobile launch even

They probably already are making the next game for Switch.

Statements like this are just dumb though and shouldn't be tolerated at this point, acting like Switch might be better suited to one of the side series just because of the hybrid/portable/home nature of the system is ridiculous.

Statements like this are just dumb though and shouldn't be tolerated at this point, acting like Switch might be better suited to one of the side series just because of the hybrid/portable/home nature of the system is ridiculous.

So you expect him to announce an unannounced game randomly in an interview?

Mawile

Banned
@JoeM86

Your translation has this line, "as well"

In addition to this, as the Pokémon Company is also in charge of spin-offs such as Pokkén Tournament and Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, they would be suitable to the Switch as well

but StreetsAhead's translation pretty much just implies they think games designed for Switch specifically is the more favorable for them at the current time.

Apart from main games, we make stuff like Pokken and Dungeon so I am thinking we should make games that suit the switch from among the games were making

Which translation is more correct? The one you initially posted seems to imply they might work on a mainline game in a slight way, but StreetsAhead's seems not the case.

JoeM86

I mean PokeGo made money like crazy i wouldnt cross idea yet.Maybe 3DS/Mobile launch even

Absolutely not.
@JoeM86

Your translation has this line, "as well"

but StreetsAhead's translation pretty much just implies they think games designed for Switch specifically is the more favorable for them at the current time.

Which translation is more correct? The one you initially posted seems to imply they might work on a mainline game in a slight way, but StreetsAhead's seems not the case.

Probably StreetsAhead's. Nuance in Japanese is often lost. I checked with three people, all fluent Japanese speakers, all of whom live or have lived in Japan for prolonged times and got varied results

Some Nobody

Lol. Wait it out.

Also, "moving mid-gen is risky" is probably the worst reasoning someone's ever had for keeping Pokémon on old-gen hardware. Risky for who? Pokémon moves units. Period. Nintendo wins, TPC wins.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So what about Pokémon Stars? False rumour? They'd change the formula? Are they going to continue on the 3DS for the time being?

The feels like the first gentle comments generally connecting Pokemon and switch. They're acknowledging the switch and that they are thinking about it. That's just to soften you up for when they announce something properly down the line

JoeM86

Lol. Wait it out.

Also, "moving mid-gen is risky" is probably the worst reasoning someone's ever had for keeping Pokémon on old-gen hardware. Risky for who? Pokémon moves units. Period. Nintendo wins, TPC wins.

Risky for fragmenting the userbase due to connectivity issues and so half the userbase is on 3DS and a smaller amount has moved over.

Typically, enhanced versions (Platinum etc.) and sequels (B2W2) have done about half the sales of the main series games that started the generation. Not everyone moves over.

With this, connectivity between Switch and 3DS could be problematic if there's not a solution. The massive difference in online functionality between 3DS and Switch, such as 3DS having Friends through Friend Codes and Switch not makes connectivity a bit tricky.

I know it's easy to drive by and post like that, but when you actually look into the series and the mechanics, it actually makes sense.

Cartho

He went on to say that if Pokémon is to come to the Switch, they have to change how they make Pokémon. Due to this, the main games won't be the same as before.

This is just bizarre. I mean, they don't have to "change how they make the games". People would play the hell out of a mainline Pokemon game on Switch. He's acting like the idea of someone coming home from a long flight / train ride where they have been playing Pokemon, then flopping out on the sofa and continuing from exactly where they left off on their big TV is some kind of weird concept which could never work.

I don't understand why we're getting these odd, tortured reasons. Obviously he wasn't going to announce a new mainline entry into the series in a random interview, but he could quite easily have said something like "we are very interested in the Switch as a piece of hardware, however we have nothing to announce at this time."

That wouldn't have been hard. Instead they come out with stuff like "well it's got higher specs than we're used to" - big deal? "because it's a home console as well as a handheld we will have to totally change the way we make the game" - really? Why?

I'd love one of the interviewers to properly press them on it. WHY, exactly, is the game being on a hybrid system like Switch such a big deal that it would force them to make a totally different type of game? What are the exact, specific reasons. Don't take vague "well we originally meant them to be about battling and trading and played on the move" statement as an answer because we all know that it's rubbish - that may have been their intention but there's no reason, with the advent of a thing called the internet and the fact that the Switch is a handheld as well, that a mainline Pokemon game couldn't work on it, from a mechanical PoV.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Having usually portable pokemon games with decent assets or not will be the key to possible success or failure commercially for Switch

Risky for fragmenting the userbase due to connectivity issues and so half the userbase is on 3DS and a smaller amount has moved over.

Typically, enhanced versions (Platinum etc.) and sequels (B2W2) have done about half the sales of the main series games that started the generation. Not everyone moves over.

With this, connectivity between Switch and 3DS could be problematic if there's not a solution. The massive difference in online functionality between 3DS and Switch, such as 3DS having Friends through Friend Codes and Switch not makes connectivity a bit tricky.

I know it's easy to drive by and post like that, but when you actually look into the series and the mechanics, it actually makes sense.

I don't give a shit about any of that. I'm getting a switch and I'd like to see a mainline game on it. Simple as that. 3DS screen looks like someone smeared Vaseline all over it. Not touching another 3ds game.

Fucking hell

I expected a mainline pokemon game on switch to be already on development or close to completion now.

They have to be trolling and are gonna surprise everyone.

This would literally be the worst switch news possible. A mainline pokemon seems like a no brainer, a shortcut to this thing being a success.

He went on to say that if Pokémon is to come to the Switch, they have to change how they make Pokémon due to the nature of the Switch. Due to this, the main games won't be the same as before.

not really. Just keep refining the formula.

JoeM86

Nintendo continues to be foolish in not being the mainline traditional Pokémon games to a home console.

Pokémon is a series that is predominantly about battling and trading with others.

Yes, you can do that online, but you can do that online with a portable as well. Until the Switch, there was no way to continue the portable aspect which is what made Pokémon so big, and what continues to push the franchise.

That's why there haven't been home console games. It would have brought no benefits, just look prettier, have a bigger budget, and lose a huge part of what makes Pokémon Pokémon. Now Switch exists, that can change.

So you expect him to announce an unannounced game randomly in an interview?

No. Obviously. The point is a simple, more common sense statement like "We have plans for Switch and are excited for the possibilities that it will offer Pokémon but have nothing that we can announce currently" would be far better than making a long winded, dodgy and non-commital response where he waffles on the nature of the Switch vs the various series. If I was a suit at NCL I'd be on the phone right now talking with them about that answer, they are one of Nintendo's largest partners and properties with a 33% part ownership stake by NCL. At this point it should be made clear to them by NCL that they should not be making statements acting like "Hey, ya know, we want to put Pokémon on Switch but ya know, it's also kind of a home system and has an HD screen so I dunno....maybe one of the spin off series! We'll see!" It's kinda crappy PR for the Switch, really and also continues the Pokemon Company's well earned image of being a stubborn, cheap, and inflexible company.

JoeM86

No. Obviously. The point is a simple, more common sense statement like "We have plans for Switch and are excited for the possibilities that it will offer Pokémon but have nothing that we can announce currently" would be far better than making a long winded, dodgy and non-commital response where he waffles on the nature of the Switch vs the various series. If I was a suit at NCL I'd be on the phone right now talking with them about that answer, they are one of Nintendo's largest partners and properties with a 33% part ownership stake, they should not be making statements acting like "Hey, ya know, we want to put Pokémon on Switch but ya know, it's also kind of a home system and has an HD screen so I dunno....maybe one of the spin off series! We'll see!" It's kinda crappy PR for the Switch, really and also continues the Pokemon Company's well earned image of being a stubborn, inflexible company.
You do know they have said they're developing for Switch before, right?

No. Obviously. The point is a simple, more common sense statement like "We have plans for Switch and are excited for the possibilities that it will offer Pokémon but have nothing that we can announce currently" would be far better than making a long winded, dodgy and non-commital response where he waffles on the nature of the Switch vs the various series. If I was a suit at NCL I'd be on the phone right now talking with them about that answer, they are one of Nintendo's largest partners and properties with a 33% part ownership stake, they should not be making statements acting like "Hey, ya know, we want to put Pokémon on Switch but ya know, it's also kind of a home system and has an HD screen so I dunno....maybe one of the spin off series! We'll see!" It's kinda crappy PR for the Switch, really and also continues the Pokemon Company's well earned image of being a stubborn, inflexible company.

How I feel in a nutshell. It created a negative tone imo. People shouldn't even have to question whether or not this is coming to the switch.

What lol?
If anything there will probably be a game for 3DS this year and maybe a break next year with a new game on Switch in 2019. I'm not 100% on it because that would be a long wait for the next game on new hardware but the same happened with XY and 3DS.

Coffinhal

How is this mid generation? It's not like XY got a 3rd release, or even a sequel like B2/W2. This gen could easily be over with just SM

XY got ORAS, it's the same "Mega" gen despite it being a remake

I wouldn't blame them for moving on to the next gen in 2018 but I'd like to see SM on Switch, the game deserves it and prepares what can be Pokémon with the Switch. It won't have BOTW's scope but there is huge potential

Sponge

Banned
Saw this coming after the LKD rumors didn't happen. My guess is Stars is a 3DS game and we're not getting a Pokemon game for Switch for a few more years.

JoeM86

I would expect a Direct in March or May.

It's quite common to have a year of no releases. I wouldn't start spouting doom yet

Red & Green. Released 1996. Next game, Yellow, released 1998. 1997 was a year off
Gold & Silver. Released 1999. Next game, Crystal, released 2000. 2001 was year off.
Ruby & Sapphire. Released 2002. Next game, FireRed & LeafGreen and Emerald, were both released in 2004. Both 2003 and 2005 were years off
Diamond & Pearl. Released 2006. Next game, Platinum, was released in 2008. 2007 was a year off
Black & White. Released 2010. Next game, Black 2 & White 2, was released in 2012. 2011 was a year off
X & Y. Released 2013. Next game, Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, was released in 2014. 2015 was a year off.

4 of the 6 prior generations took a year off after starting a generation. It's probable to happen again

I may be looking at this the wrong way, but, couldn't they use the same assets as Pokken Tournament for a possible Pokémon Stars (Elipse) game on Switch?

JoeM86

I may be looking at this the wrong way, but, couldn't they use the same assets as Pokken Tournament for a possible Pokémon Stars (Elipse) game on Switch?

No. For one thing, that's 16 Pokémon out of 802.

The current Pokémon assets are suitable for 1080p gaming anyway. That's why they run badly on the 3DS

Wasn't that guy who made the Pokémon ark mod using assets from the game? They scaled pretty well as is. Tbh, it's what got me so hungry for a switch Pokémon version.

aadiboy

No. For one thing, that's 16 Pokémon out of 802.

The current Pokémon assets are suitable for 1080p gaming anyway. That's why they run badly on the 3DS
I've never seen you comment on whether the Stars rumor from Eurogamer is real or not. Do you have any information we don't?

JoeM86

I've never seen you comment on whether the Stars rumor from Eurogamer is real or not. Do you have any information we don't?

gfYmh9d.gif

Note: the above is not indicative of any insider knowledge

ffdgh

Basically it's coming but they not saying anything yet.

Something something I don't respond to rumors and speculation lol.

Coffinhal

It's quite common to have a year of no releases. I wouldn't start spouting doom yet

Red & Green. Released 1996. Next game, Yellow, released 1998. 1997 was a year off
Gold & Silver. Released 1999. Next game, Crystal, released 2000. 2001 was year off.
Ruby & Sapphire. Released 2002. Next game, FireRed & LeafGreen and Emerald, were both released in 2004. Both 2003 and 2005 were years off
Diamond & Pearl. Released 2006. Next game, Platinum, was released in 2008. 2007 was a year off
Black & White. Released 2010. Next game, Black 2 & White 2, was released in 2012. 2011 was a year off
X & Y. Released 2013. Next game, Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, was released in 2014. 2015 was a year off.

4 of the 6 prior generations took a year off after starting a generation. It's probable to happen again

Things could be shaken up with the Switch though, they don't always follow patterns (ORAS was released 1 year after XY as you stated)
I wouldn't expect it this year though, it would fit perfectly in February/March 2018 before the end of the fiscal year (this or Pokkén if it's still has potential?)

Kyzer

Banned
IMO theyve been working on whatever title is coming out on the Switch since before Sun/Moon. Not to mention they developed from gen 6 onward with an HD future in mind, which I applaud them for. I think we could easily see another game this year. The question is whether or not GF is incentivized to release on the Switch earlier than usual. It would, after all, be in GF's best interest that the platform sells well.

JoeM86

Things could be shaken up with the Switch though, they don't always follow patterns (ORAS was released 1 year after XY as you stated)
I wouldn't expect it this year though, it would fit perfectly in February/March 2018 before the end of the fiscal year (this or Pokkén if it's still has potential?)

Na, if a game is to come out, they'd aim it for the autumn without a doubt for a variety of reasons including how they market new Pokémon stuff in Japan. If there isn't one this year, then it won't be until towards the end of next year

Top Bottom