• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TurboGrafx-16 / PC Engine Mini Lineup Trailer (50 games - 24 TurboGrafx-16 + 26 PC Engine)

Kazza

http://www.konami.com/games/pcemini/

Coming 19th of March 2020

Relive the Thrills and Emotion from Back in the Day
Originally released in Japan in 1987 as the PC Engine home console captivated gamers with its revolutionary graphics and sound, and still holds a special place in the hearts of fans today.

Now, at long last, the PC Engine is making a comeback!

It's set to return in the form of the PC Engine Core Grafx mini, a new compact model that comes preloaded with a selection of popular titles!

Now you can play all your old favorites to your heart's content!

There will be 24 TurboGrafx-16 games:
  • Alien Crush
  • Victory Run
  • Blazing Lazers
  • Neutopia
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • R-Type
  • Moto Roader
  • Power Golf
  • Ys book I&II
  • Ninja Spirit
  • J.J. & Jeff
  • Space Harrier
  • Military Madness
  • Chew-Man-Fu
  • Psychosis
  • Bonk's Revenge
  • Parasol Stars
  • Cadash
  • New Adventure Island
  • Air Zonk
  • Neutopia II
  • Solider Blade
  • Lords of Thunder
  • Bomberman '93

The will also be the following 26 PC Engine games

• The Kung Fu
  • Jaseiken Necromancer
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Appare! Gateball
  • Nectaris
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • Neutopia
  • PC Genjin
  • Ys I・II
  • Super Darius
  • Super Star Solider
  • Daimakaimura
  • Aldynes
  • Neutopia II
  • Gradius
  • Salamander
  • Super Momotaro Dentetsu II
  • Ninja Ryūkenden *Japanese ver. of NINJA GAIDEN
  • Star Parodier
  • Snatcher
  • Gradius II - Gofer no Yabō -
  • Chō Aniki
  • Akumajō Dracula X Chi no Rondo
  • Bomberman ’94
  • Bomberman Panic Bomber
  • Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire

The official website notes that the system consists of 24 TurboGrafx-16 titles (EN version) and 26 PC Engine titles (JP version), and that there is some overlap in games between the two, with regional differences (meaning there may end up being fewer than 50 unique titles)

The Amazon pre-order page (can pre-order from 15 July, no price listed yet) does a better job of making clear which games are in English and which are in Japanese (hint: it looks like you'll be wanting to start studying Japanese now if you want to play Snatcher). From their website, it seems like Amazon may be the exclusive retailer for the system.

Note: PC Engine titles in their original Japanese language.
Some of 50 retro games containing select titles overlap in both the TurboGrafx-16 and PC Engine lineup.

TurboGrafx-16 Titles
(in English)

• Air Zonk
  • Alien Crush
  • Blazing Lazers
  • Bomberman ‘93
  • Bonk’s Revenge
  • Cadash
  • Chew-Man-Fu
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • J.J. & Jeff
  • Lords Of Thunder
  • Military Madness (Nectaris)
  • Moto Roader
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • New Adventure Island
  • Ninjaspirit
  • Parasol Stars
  • Power Golf
  • Psychosis
  • R-Type
  • Soldier Blade
  • Space Harrier
  • Victory Run
  • Ys Book I&II

PC Engine Titles
(in Japanese)

• Akumajō Dracula X Chi No Rondo (Castlevania: Rondo Of Blood)
  • Aldynes
  • Appare! Gateball
  • Bomberman ‘94
  • Bomberman Panic Bomber
  • Chō Aniki
  • Daimakaimura (Ghouls ‘N’ Ghosts)
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Gradius (Nemesis)
  • Gradius II – Gofer No Yabō (Nemesis II)
  • Jaseiken Necromancer
  • Nectaris (Military Madness)
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • Ninja Ryūkenden (Ninja Gaiden)
  • PC-Genjin (Bonk)
  • Salamander
  • Snatcher
  • Star Parodier (Fantasy Star Soldier)
  • Super Darius
  • Super Momotarō Dentetsu II
  • Super Star Soldier
  • The Kung Fu (China Warrior)
  • Ys I&II

core_pdl_installed_tbg_1180x1420_en.jpg

core_pdl_installed_pce_1180x1660_en._CB441807482_.jpg

• POINT 01
    Save at any time with Quick Save!
    The console features a Quick Save function that allows you to save at any point during a game.
    Save your progress and continue playing when it's convenient for you!
  • POINT 02
    Choose from various display modes!
    Not only is the console ready to plug and play using the included HDMI cable, it also features different modes that let you choose how your games look, such as by replicating the scanlines on a CRT TV.
  • POINT 03
    Simultaneous five-player gaming with a multitap!*
    By using a multitap to connect additional controllers, up to five people can play together simultaneously.
    *Multitap sold separately.

UPDATE 8th August 2019:

Famed emulation/retro maestros M2 have been confirmed to be doing the emulation:

TurboGrafx-16 mini / PC Engine CoreGrafx mini / PC Engine mini final lineup announced

Spriggan Mark 2, The Legend of Valkyrie, and more join the lineup.

NQPElwr.jpg

Konami has announced the final lineup of games included with the TurboGrafx-16 mini (North America) / PC Engine CoreGrafx mini (Europe) / PC Engine mini (Japan).

On top of the previously announced 50 titles, the following seven (eight for Japan) titles are included with the mini consoles:

TurboGrafx-16 mini (North America) / PC Engine CoreGrafx mini (Europe)

TurboGrafx-16 Titles
(featured games are in English)
  • Splatterhouse (1990)
PC Engine Titles (featured games are in Japanese)
  • Dragon Spirit (1988)
  • Galaga ’88 (1988)
  • The Genji and the Heike Clans (1990)
  • The Legend of Valkyrie (1990)
  • Seirei Senshi Spriggan (1991)
  • Spriggan Mark 2 (1992)
PC Engine Mini (Japan)

PC Engine Titles
(featured games are in Japanese)
  • Dragon Spirit (1988)
  • Galaga ’88 (1988)
  • The Genji and the Heike Clans (1990)
  • The Legend of Valkyrie (1990)
  • Seirei Senshi Spriggan (1991)
  • Splatterhouse (1990)
  • Spriggan Mark 2 (1992)
  • Tengai Makyou II: Manji Maru (1992)
Here is a chart of the final differences between the three versions:

Q67yDXy.png

*1 Game is in Japanese language.
*2 Game is in English language.
*3 The Turbo Controller for TurboGrafx-16 mini / PC Engine CoreGrafx mini (sold separately) includes turbo controls.

The TurboGrafx-16 mini / PC Engine CoreGrafx mini / PC Engine mini (Japan) is due out on March 19, 2020 for 10,500 yen. All three versions of the mini console will be sold exclusively through Amazon (TurboGrafx-16 mini / PC Engine CoreGrafx mini / PC Engine mini).

Watch a new trailer below.

TurboGrafx-16 mini (North America)

PC Engine CoreGrafx mini (Europe)

PC Engine mini (Japan)

Source: Gematsu

Last edited:

Cynn

This is going to be great. While I did own a Turbo Express for a couple of years I never had a proper TG16 so I’m stoked to properly play on TV. (I’ve of course dabbled with emulation, but not enough to make this redundant)

Kazza

Looks like a decent line up.

I was hoping somebody would comment on the line-up. The PC Engine was an unknown quantity in Europe. While I could say whether or not the SNES lineup was good despite owning a Megadrive at the time, I find it hard to judge the quality of this list. What I can say is:

- 50 games is great (Sega's Megadrive mini with 42 titles was already an improvement on Nintendo's 30/20 for the NES/SNES, so it's great that Konami went one better)
- Bonk, Lords of Thunder, Space Harrie, Snatcher, Bomberman, Darius, Drakula X Rondo of Blood all sound good (and recognisable) to me.

Flicking between the 3 versions of the system, I can't pick out any differences in terms of line-up. Hopefully GAF's resident PC Engine experts will chime in.

Last edited:

Kazza

Just added the Amazon pre-order page to the OP. It does a clearer job of explaining which games in in which language:

Note: PC Engine titles in their original Japanese language.
Some of 50 retro games containing select titles overlap in both the TurboGrafx-16 and PC Engine lineup.

TurboGrafx-16 Titles
(in English)

• Air Zonk
  • Alien Crush
  • Blazing Lazers
  • Bomberman ‘93
  • Bonk’s Revenge
  • Cadash
  • Chew-Man-Fu
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • J.J. & Jeff
  • Lords Of Thunder
  • Military Madness (Nectaris)
  • Moto Roader
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • New Adventure Island
  • Ninjaspirit
  • Parasol Stars
  • Power Golf
  • Psychosis
  • R-Type
  • Soldier Blade
  • Space Harrier
  • Victory Run
  • Ys Book I&II

PC Engine Titles
(in Japanese)

• Akumajō Dracula X Chi No Rondo (Castlevania: Rondo Of Blood)
  • Aldynes
  • Appare! Gateball
  • Bomberman ‘94
  • Bomberman Panic Bomber
  • Chō Aniki
  • Daimakaimura (Ghouls ‘N’ Ghosts)
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Gradius (Nemesis)
  • Gradius II – Gofer No Yabō (Nemesis II)
  • Jaseiken Necromancer
  • Nectaris (Military Madness)
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • Ninja Ryūkenden (Ninja Gaiden)
  • PC-Genjin (Bonk)
  • Salamander
  • Snatcher
  • Star Parodier (Fantasy Star Soldier)
  • Super Darius
  • Super Momotarō Dentetsu II
  • Super Star Soldier
  • The Kung Fu (China Warrior)
  • Ys I&II

Hmm, it looks like Snatcher will be Japanese only. If that ends up being the case, then I guess I'll have to wait for a Mega CD mini to play that

Last edited:

Ol'Scratch

Y's, Cadash, Gradius, R-Type, Victory Run, Castlevania Rondo Of Blood, Blazing Lazers, Ninja Gaiden, Bomberman....these alone are worth it. I agree about Valis. Would have loved to get OG Street Fighter also. Dungeon Explorer brings back memories too.

Kazza

I never had the chance to play the PC Engine back in the 90s, so I'm excited about this. I just need to know that the emulation will be decent (no news so far, as far as I can see).

I'm surprised Konami just announced the whole line-up like this, instead of dragging it out like Sega did. There are still 8 whole months until release, after all.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly if the USA/Europe versions don't get translated Japanese games then they aren't gonna be worth it. I mean Snatcher and Castlevania Rondo of Blood? What a cock tease.

wondermega

Soooooo "50 games all in one" means that they are all coming in the same unit? This is insane if so. Even were it just for the Turbo titles, this is a super-solid lineup. Yes there's a couple bummers (Alien Crush < Devil's Crush, and missing Legendary Axe is honestly a criminal act) but honestly it's very hard to find faults with this lineup otherwise. Looks incredible!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Soooooo "50 games all in one" means that they are all coming in the same unit? This is insane if so. Even were it just for the Turbo titles, this is a super-solid lineup. Yes there's a couple bummers (Alien Crush < Devil's Crush, and missing Legendary Axe is honestly a criminal act) but honestly it's very hard to find faults with this lineup otherwise. Looks incredible!
We don't know that yet but I'm sure they have the time to translate some old games considering Konami doesn't really make new games anymore.

Kazza

I'm looking forward to try the PC Engine iteration of Ninja Gaiden, which, aside from scrolling effects, looks really nice I think:

WTF happened with the scrolling? It looks like it's updating at 15 fps, while the sprites move at 60. Hopefully, we'll get a DF Retro special on this mini console. PC Engine was an interesting 8/16-bit hybrid, so it would be interesting to see it get a deep analysis.

Kazza

The one bastard game I really wanted (Legendary Axe) and it isn't included.

As someone who has only ever seen PC Engine games on youtube and never actually played one before, Legendary Axe was one I was looking forward to as well (and expected, seeing as it was a US launch title). I always loved Rastan on the Master System, and Legendary Axe looked quite similar. Oh well.

I like the PC Engine Core Grafx the best...it lies a bit between the Japanese PC Engine and American TurboGrafx-16; sharing the design of the former and the turbo switches on controllers of the latter. Wonder if they will be functionary. I hope so...

Also, Konami did say some time ago that there might be limited edition runs of all versions in different regions.

Oh, and did I already say that these versions of Gradius are among the finest ever made?

As someone who has only ever seen PC Engine games on youtube and never actually played one before, Legendary Axe was one I was looking forward to as well (and expected, seeing as it was a US launch title). I always loved Rastan on the Master System, and Legendary Axe looked quite similar. Oh well.
Dunno if you watch Game Sack but Joe is very complimentary about Legendary Axe, which is why I want to play it. Never had the pleasure before.

Bar81

That's underwhelming after the near perfection of the MD Mini in terms of game selection.

Where's:

Cotton
Devil Crash
Double Dragon II
Kaze Kiri
Spriggan (not shitty mk2)
Legendary Axe

I will say that TG-16 version in my opinion was superior to SMS version due to SMS making concessions for their 3D Glasses

It is better than Sh2 on the Mini but they could have easily got rid of this and Fantasy Zone for Space Fantasy Zone.

Seems Konami didn't really care what the Japanese fans wanted. Don't do a poll if you only get a few on them.

No Magical Chase, Coyroon, Legendary Axe, Legend of Valkyrie, Cosmic Fantasy 2.

And also giving us Japanese games that had an English release is pretty lame.

The Mega Drive mini despite a few omittions is still the best Mini.

Snatcher is on there but if it is purely in Japanese then that could piss off a lot of people too.

Ol'Scratch

It is better than Sh2 on the Mini but they could have easily got rid of this and Fantasy Zone for Space Fantasy Zone.

Seems Konami didn't really care what the Japanese fans wanted. Don't do a poll if you only get a few on them.

No Magical Chase, Coyroon, Legendary Axe, Legend of Valkyrie, Cosmic Fantasy 2.

And also giving us Japanese games that had an English release is pretty lame.

The Mega Drive mini despite a few omittions is still the best Mini.

Snatcher is on there but if it is purely in Japanese then that could piss off a lot of people too.
Yeah I did not even think about what will happen if the games are not localized.

Cato

Banned
EU:

gate_coregrafx.png

Japan:

gate_pcengine.png

US:

gate_turbografx.png

Why were the American redesigns of the time so damn chunky :messenger_tears_of_joy: Japanese version looks best to me. I didn't even know we got our own version in Europe.

Hm. The US version looks "odd" (nice way to say 'shit') to me.
JAP and EU version day one for me. This is going to be glorious.

Tesseract

Banned
I'm looking forward to try the PC Engine iteration of Ninja Gaiden, which, aside from scrolling effects, looks really nice I think:

wowowowow i didn't know this existed, gonna dig into this tonight

fuck my life at the scrolling section 31 minutes in or so, that should be illegal

Last edited:

Kazza

The Happy Console Gamer is a huge fan of the system, so I was expecting a video from him, and here it is:

Even he seems a little confused by the whole Japanese/US version mixing situation. He said that the Jap version looks like it's going to retail for around $100 (I couldn't ses a price on Amazon myself)

Seems like Konami didn't communicate things that well with the trailers. I've seen a number of people complaining about the supposedly lack of Castlevania: Rondo of Blood. But then again...wasn't it obvious that the video didn't show all of the 50 games included? A brief showing of the Japanese PC Engine games included would've helped I guess...

gate_turbografx.png

Why were the American redesigns of the time so damn chunky :messenger_tears_of_joy: Japanese version looks best to me. I didn't even know we got our own version in Europe.
Have you seen the og Xbox, the 1st Xbox one, for some reason some local "designers" think that American s like clunky because the country has all that empty space or something 🤪.

I prefer the European version, I just hope that it doesn't play at 50hz.

Konami uK Twitter has a poster claiming that Tokimeki Memorial is Japanese Exclusive and Salamander is NA/EU exclusive.

Man this messaging is awful for the mini.

Is it me or have Namco pissed in Konami's cereal? Even Splatterhouse is not there it seems?

Last edited:
Top Bottom