• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TurboGrafx-16 / PC Engine Mini Lineup Trailer (50 games - 24 TurboGrafx-16 + 26 PC Engine)

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Just wait 1 month after release, download the Hakchi equivalent and play whatever translated games you desire. If they don’t localise a Japanese game, that is a fair alternative.

KOMANI

KOMANI
This isn’t fully true. While almost all the games are the same there are a few games exclusive to the pc engine mini and one for the two others. For instance Tokimeki Memorial and Tengai Makyou 2 are only on the PC Engine Mini. Also Salamander will not be on the pc engine mini but will be on the tg-16/pc engine corrgrafx mini only. It’s annoying but it is what it is.
Is that true, there will be some exclusives for some consoles? Was this in the latest trailer? cause this is the first im hearing this.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Destructoid says only Tengai Makyou II: Manji Maru is exclusive to the pc engine mini. I can’t understand gematsu’s table of games. I won’t even bother with Polygon’s article since it doesn’t state if there are any exclusives. I’m not seeing Salamander being exclusive anywhere. This is such an unnecessary headache.

ranmafan

Is that true, there will be some exclusives for some consoles? Was this in the latest trailer? cause this is the first im hearing this.

It is indeed true. Not only has it been shown in the trailers but also the official website has this chart explaining it:

g01amrw.png

Why this is, Im not sure. Cant imagine any issues with rights for those games (although I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't want to include a dating simulator in the west and perhaps they want to avoid having to explain the manji kanji on Tengai Maikyo). And they have no problem putting a Japanese only Snatcher on the western units. Probably just want to have some sort of exclusive for the two systems. Weird, a tad annoying, but still better than it couldve been. Also the Splatterhouse difference between the units above is just regarding language apparently.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
It is indeed true. Not only has it been shown in the trailers but also the official website has this chart explaining it:

g01amrw.png

Why this is, Im not sure. Cant imagine any issues with rights for those games. And they have no problem putting a Japanese only Snatcher on the western units. Probably just want to have some sort of exclusive for the two systems. Weird, a tad annoying, but still better than it couldve been. Also the Splatterhouse difference between the units above is just regarding language apparently.
Right, like you’re releasing Snatcher in all three consoles, why care about excluding games from each console regardless of localization. Fucking ponderous.

ranmafan

Right, like you’re releasing Snatcher in all three consoles, why care about excluding games from each console regardless of localization. Fucking ponderous.

It’s a shame too as both of those games are quite good and would be great for a release in the West. Also not getting salamander on the Japanese release is a pain. I still think what they are releasing is amazing but I really see no reason for this small bit of changes. Also means having to get both just to have basically one or two more games.

If they could change that and release all the games on all the systems, and at least get a translation on snatcher if possible, this would easily be a beyond must have product. In my eyes it’s still must have but, wow what they could do to perfect it in time for launch would make it legendary

KOMANI

KOMANI
It’s a shame too as both of those games are quite good and would be great for a release in the West. Also not getting salamander on the Japanese release is a pain. I still think what they are releasing is amazing but I really see no reason for this small bit of changes. Also means having to get both just to have basically one or two more games.

If they could change that and release all the games on all the systems, and at least get a translation on snatcher if possible, this would easily be a beyond must have product. In my eyes it’s still must have but, wow what they could do to perfect it in time for launch would make it legendary
Shame because the pc engine’s Snatcher is the ultimate version. Tengai Makyou II: Manji Maru had people working on the localization at the time, so if localization won’t be completed for that game, I highly doubt Snatcher will get translated. But who knows, we’re 8 months away.

ranmafan

Shame because the pc engine’s Snatcher is the ultimate version. Tengai Makyou II: Manji Maru had people working on the localization at the time, so if localization won’t be completed for that game, I highly doubt Snatcher will get translated. But who knows, we’re 8 months away.
Yeah I doubt anything is going to change but I do hope they are listening to people asking for it. I’m lucky that I can understand Japanese so it won’t be an issue but really for a game that’s been on many people’s most want to play lists for decades, at least Snatcher should get a translation if it were possible. Would be an awesome win for everyone.

TLZ

Banned

g01amrw.png

Why this is, Im not sure. Cant imagine any issues with rights for those games (although I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't want to include a dating simulator in the west and perhaps they want to avoid having to explain the manji kanji on Tengai Maikyo). And they have no problem putting a Japanese only Snatcher on the western units. Probably just want to have some sort of exclusive for the two systems. Weird, a tad annoying, but still better than it couldve been. Also the Splatterhouse difference between the units above is just regarding language apparently.
So 2 games exclusive for the PC engine, 1 game exclusive for the other 2, and all the others same on all 3. Did I get this right?

Last edited:

Kazza

TurboGrafx-16 mini / PC Engine CoreGrafx mini / PC Engine mini final lineup announced

Spriggan Mark 2, The Legend of Valkyrie, and more join the lineup.

NQPElwr.jpg

Konami has announced the final lineup of games included with the TurboGrafx-16 mini (North America) / PC Engine CoreGrafx mini (Europe) / PC Engine mini (Japan).

On top of the previously announced 50 titles, the following seven (eight for Japan) titles are included with the mini consoles:

TurboGrafx-16 mini (North America) / PC Engine CoreGrafx mini (Europe)

TurboGrafx-16 Titles (featured games are in English)
  • Splatterhouse (1990)
PC Engine Titles (featured games are in Japanese)
  • Dragon Spirit (1988)
  • Galaga ’88 (1988)
  • The Genji and the Heike Clans (1990)
  • The Legend of Valkyrie (1990)
  • Seirei Senshi Spriggan (1991)
  • Spriggan Mark 2 (1992)
PC Engine Mini (Japan)

PC Engine Titles (featured games are in Japanese)
  • Dragon Spirit (1988)
  • Galaga ’88 (1988)
  • The Genji and the Heike Clans (1990)
  • The Legend of Valkyrie (1990)
  • Seirei Senshi Spriggan (1991)
  • Splatterhouse (1990)
  • Spriggan Mark 2 (1992)
  • Tengai Makyou II: Manji Maru (1992)
Here is a chart of the final differences between the three versions:

Q67yDXy.png

*1 Game is in Japanese language.
*2 Game is in English language.
*3 The Turbo Controller for TurboGrafx-16 mini / PC Engine CoreGrafx mini (sold separately) includes turbo controls.

The TurboGrafx-16 mini / PC Engine CoreGrafx mini / PC Engine mini (Japan) is due out on March 19, 2020 for 10,500 yen. All three versions of the mini console will be sold exclusively through Amazon (TurboGrafx-16 mini / PC Engine CoreGrafx mini / PC Engine mini).

Watch a new trailer below.

TurboGrafx-16 mini (North America)

PC Engine CoreGrafx mini (Europe)

PC Engine mini (Japan)

Source: Gematsu

Thanks for this. I've updated the OP.

Trimesh

Banned
This isn’t fully true. While almost all the games are the same there are a few games exclusive to the pc engine mini and one for the two others. For instance Tokimeki Memorial and Tengai Makyou 2 are only on the PC Engine Mini. Also Salamander will not be on the pc engine mini but will be on the tg-16/pc engine corrgrafx mini only. It’s annoying but it is what it is.

I'm not entirely surprised about Tengai Makyou - firstly it's a pretty big game and would take up a lot of flash space, and secondly given how hypersensitive a lot of people are now, I can see why they wouldn't want to release a game called 「卍 MARU」 in the west...

ranmafan

I'm not entirely surprised about Tengai Makyou - firstly it's a pretty big game and would take up a lot of flash space, and secondly given how hypersensitive a lot of people are now, I can see why they wouldn't want to release a game called 「卍 MARU」 in the west...

Yeah I think the manji issue could explain that one. Notice they don't mention that in the title in the English website. I do think its a bit unfair that the western versions get one less game vs the Japanese one for the same price. I do wonder if the space issue could be it too? One thing that the western versions get over the Japanese one is the turbo controllers are included (that was how it originally was right when tg-16 launched? Im not sure). In the end Im getting both. Its an amazing collection and as someone who always wanted to jump on the PC Engine/TG-16 bandwagon, its a nice way to do it. Even if it isn't perfect, but then again, all of the mini systems haven't been perfect

KOMANI

KOMANI
Yeah I think the manji issue could explain that one. Notice they don't mention that in the title in the English website. I do think its a bit unfair that the western versions get one less game vs the Japanese one for the same price. I do wonder if the space issue could be it too? One thing that the western versions get over the Japanese one is the turbo controllers are included (that was how it originally was right when tg-16 launched? Im not sure). In the end Im getting both. Its an amazing collection and as someone who always wanted to jump on the PC Engine/TG-16 bandwagon, its a nice way to do it. Even if it isn't perfect, but then again, all of the mini systems haven't been perfect
The turbo pad replaced the regular pad for the turbografx and core and it became the standard for both versions whereas the pc engine retained the original pads.

Trimesh

Banned

The only machine I know of that was supplied with the standard pad was the original white PC Engine - the CoreGrafx / SuperGrafx come with the turbo pad, as did the PC Engine Duo. All the TG16 pads I've ever seen were the turbo version.

I had a strange dream last night where I was playing a Japanese PC Engine Mini and was playing one of the Japanese PC Engine CD games (can't remember the name) but the Voice Acting cutscenes and interface were in English. It was surreal.

Kazza

I had a strange dream last night where I was playing a Japanese PC Engine Mini and was playing one of the Japanese PC Engine CD games (can't remember the name) but the Voice Acting cutscenes and interface were in English. It was surreal.

We'll soon find out if it was just a strange dream, or if you're clairvoyant. :messenger_beaming:

Looking at the Japanese Konami/PCE Mini twitter and the Japanese users are not really impressed with certain omissions and keep demanding that Konami add a few more games to which they say "We are now in production so we can't add any more!" Although one mentions that there maybe one surprise (not getting my hopes up, but if they do it better be Snatcher in English).

The games that keep being brought up is Bella Bowman, Space Fantasy Zone, Cosmic Fantasy and Tankei Makai 1.

A few funny comments from Google Translate and genuine Fan disappointments.

pAPj7SC.png

NYNa2jb.png

1MSaaXk.png

5zTMvFI.png

A bonus jab at the Mega Drive Mini from a Japanese fan.

c6yAVxG.png

Always fun to see how the Japanese are taking it as well.

Gargus

Banned
Been sold out on amazon for a bit. Glad I put an order in for one and a controller last year.

I know it won't happen but I'm still crossing my fingers snatcher will have a English subtitle option.

Cravis

Been sold out on amazon for a bit. Glad I put an order in for one and a controller last year.

I know it won't happen but I'm still crossing my fingers snatcher will have a English subtitle option.
Didn’t know it had sold out. Well damn, I cancelled my preorder last week lol. Oh well not like I’ve played the other minis.

Genx3

The one bastard game I really wanted (Legendary Axe) and it isn't included.
Legendary Axe 1 & 2 should have been automatics as 2 of the best games on the console.
Absolutely ridiculous they're missing.
The other huge mistake is not having English versions for every game at least as an option on the Turbo Grafx 16.

Vitacat

Not including a turbo pad with the JPN PCE version seems a bit manipulative. Yeah, I know the original PCE didn't have turbo pads when it first released but they quickly became standard for the platform. So JPN buyers will be forced to buy extra controllers if they want turbo (and yes, some PCE games really do benefit from it).

The Core Grafx mini is looking like the best overall version IMO, i.e. I prefer the smaller JPN designs over the TG16 (even back in the day when I owned a TG16 I was jealous of the PCE design).

Last edited:
For those with time to kill, Coury from My Life in Gaming did an unboxing & four-hour stream of the system. This isn't an in-depth breakdown, but his general feelings were similar to that of the Genesis Mini: it's a nice little unit, but he noticed input & sound lag, which game dependent could be more or less detrimental.

JohannCK

I've written a review of the PC Engine Mini if anyone's interested:

It's a bit disappointing that most of the games only have one version available, I wanted to play Winds of Thunder in Japanese. And Snatcher being only in Japanese is probably a huge disappointment for a lot of people outside of Japan.

Last edited:
Seems a YouTuber got their hands on the TurboGrafX-16 Mini. The unit is still only available for pre-order on Amazon.com, with a temporary release date of 12/31/20, but like the Core GrafX Mini, the TG16mini looks to be in-stock at Amazon.co.jp.

Like the other companies' minis, I've pretty much come to the conclusion I'm not the audience for this thing, but from the video, the TG16mini (like the actual TG16) is unnecessarily large.

UnNamed

Banned
PcEngine is one of my favourite console despite wasn't officially released in europe, I had the beautiful tiny japanese version and I hated the US abomination. I also had the PCEngine GT, the portable version, incredible machine, the most powerful handheld console for 11years, before the GBA release.
I struggled to find any comparison between this mini version and the original one, from what I saw PCEMini is just slighty smaller than the original, very strange.

JohannCK

As it is the PCE Mini is really small and light to the point that the slightest tug on a cable will pull it towards you, any smaller and it'd be probably too small. Plus at its current size it fits alongside other mini consoles great.

Kazza

Not a review of the Mini, but a nice, personal, top 10 from Classic Gaming Quarterly. Nice, relaxing quarantine viewing:

munancho

Banned
Anyone got a PCE Mini and a hacked PS Classic? If so how does the emulation quality compare between the two?

I'm guessing the PSC does better due to having more power and the ability to run shaders to clean up the graphics?

Top Bottom