• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TurboGrafx-16 / PC Engine Mini Lineup Trailer (50 games - 24 TurboGrafx-16 + 26 PC Engine)

diffusionx

Gold Member
It's weird seeing all these reviews of this thing on YouTube and in articles when there is absolutely no release date for NA.

Pachi72

EU:

gate_coregrafx.png

Japan:

gate_pcengine.png

US:

gate_turbografx.png

Why were the American redesigns of the time so damn chunky :messenger_tears_of_joy: Japanese version looks best to me. I didn't even know we got our own version in Europe.
Core Grafix is best looking.

Vitacat

It's weird seeing all these reviews of this thing on YouTube and in articles when there is absolutely no release date for NA.
I got my CoreGrafx mini on Amazon.jp a week ago. Shipping was insanely fast (basically 3 days to my door in USA). Totally worth it if you want one of these minis. It's just an extra $10 - $15 (if that) over what it will cost on Amazon US if/when they ever have them, plus Amazon in US is very, very slow these days to ship non-essential things.

They are nice minis, and hackers have already figured out how to mitigate the shimmering and add games etc.

Also, I can personally confirm that the controllers work great on PC (i.e. RetroArch) and therefore probably many other platforms like rPi etc.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I just got an update on my TG-16 order, the new delivery date is May 26th, so it looks like issues have been resolved and we should be getting it soon.

I was going to order a device from Amazon JP but this is just easier.

Durask

Got email from Amazon

New estimated delivery date:
Tuesday, May 26, 2020
Previous estimated delivery date:
Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Yeah!

Durask

Well, I got mine.

The shooters are still pleasant to play, so is the SuperGrafx version of Ghouls and Ghosts.
However, this just reinforced my tastes meaning I don't care much for old stuff. I played around with it for a couple of hours and I suspect that will be it.

Vitacat

The 8bitdo controllers are a design disaster.

I ordered 2 and they are going back.

Some of you may not care, especially if you never actually owned a TG16/PCE and don't know the library very well. But here are the main problems:

1) The upper buttons are not turbo toggles for I and II, they are distinct turbo buttons. If you understand the system then you instantly realize this is problematic, i.e. no having turbo on for II and off for I with both buttons next to each other.
2) You switch turbo speeds by holding down a button combo for 5 seconds.
3) The available turbo speeds don't match the originals.

Some of these things might be helped with firmware updates, but probably not all of them. For me this design is terrible and shows they did little to no research on how the turbo function is used on this system and its games.

Some of you may not care depending on your level of experience with TG16/PCE games, and what games you play. But to those who know this system well -- buyer beware. I think those people (including me) are better off with the wired mini controllers with proper turbo switches.

Last edited:
Well, I got mine.

The shooters are still pleasant to play, so is the SuperGrafx version of Ghouls and Ghosts.
However, this just reinforced my tastes meaning I don't care much for old stuff. I played around with it for a couple of hours and I suspect that will be it.
I'll send you my address so you can kindly ship it to me.

lachesis

Not sure where to buy the Japanese version of PC Engine besides ebay in U.S.
On waiting list on Playasia, but probably their shipping would come about the same as ebay ones, so I may just purchase from Ebay...

diffusionx

Gold Member
Finally got my mini TG-16. Now... what's good on this thing lmao. Literally the only experience I have with the TG-16 is playing Air Zonk at Toys R Us.

The 8bitdo controllers are a design disaster.

I ordered 2 and they are going back.

Some of you may not care, especially if you never actually owned a TG16/PCE and don't know the library very well. But here are the main problems:

1) The upper buttons are not turbo toggles for I and II, they are distinct turbo buttons. If you understand the system then you instantly realize this is problematic, i.e. no having turbo on for II and off for I with both buttons next to each other.
2) You switch turbo speeds by holding down a button combo for 5 seconds.
3) The available turbo speeds don't match the originals.

Some of these things might be helped with firmware updates, but probably not all of them. For me this design is terrible and shows they did little to no research on how the turbo function is used on this system and its games.

Some of you may not care depending on your level of experience with TG16/PCE games, and what games you play. But to those who know this system well -- buyer beware. I think those people (including me) are better off with the wired mini controllers with proper turbo switches.

I try to avoid 8bitdo as much as possible. I bought a SNES controller from them and one of the buttons stuck within 10 seconds - like the first or second time I pressed it. Great QC there assholes.

Manji Uzuki

Thanks to this thread now I'm interested on getting a PC-Engine mini :messenger_grinning_sweat: Has anyone tried to import from Amazon Japan to Europe? Any issues?

Just got my TG16 in and played around with it a bit. Such a nostalgia trip, put some time into Dungeon Explorer, Splatterhouse and Bonk's Revenge. I kind of wish they included Keith Courage, not because it was good, but c'mon it was the pack in game. I also wish they included Final Lap Twin, but overall it's a fun toy. I'll probably load up Military Madness this weekend.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
It’s annoyed me a little bit. Been on pre order for almost a year then we get a we don’t know when this is going to be released to suddenly it’s out tomorrow.

It’s a good job there’s a spare hundred quid lying around in my bank account.

But a bit more warning next time Amazon please.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Played today some Adventure Island, Slaughter House, R-Type and Lords of Thunder (amazing OST!). Lovely mini console, probably the best execution so far of all of them. Surprised Legend of Hero Tonma wasn’t included, I could have sworn it was going to be in.

5wpKQgT.jpg

I wonder if someone will hack Snatcher to English.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Played today some Adventure Island, Slaughter House, R-Type and Lords of Thunder (amazing OST!). Lovely mini console, probably the best execution so far of all of them. Surprised Legend of Hero Tonma wasn’t included, I could have sworn it was going to be in.

5wpKQgT.jpg

I wonder if someone will hack Snatcher to English.
I actually don't think "HD Development" on its own was the real problem with the 7th generation. I think it was more so that Sony and Microsoft leaped into the HD era before it was fully ready to be mainstream, and thus, far too many developers didn't really have the tools needed to adapt to it. Especially in the case of the PlayStation 3, with its overly complex Cell Processor. You can see that by the graveyard of developers that closed that generation. The Wii was the only home console at the time that didn't have the headaches that came with adjusting to High Definition, and thus as you said, it was easier to be experimental on it at the time.

Today though, Development tools and engines on consoles have matured enough that even small developers can make HD games with a minimal budget. AAA games are still very expensive to make though, but that's more due to audience expectations than HD development.

I don't think the PCE version was ever translated,

JohannCK

Web writer Mafia Kajita (also frequently an MC on game-related streams and talk shows) and Yuichi Nakamura (the voice actor, also does the gaming show Tokyo Encounter) now have a Youtube channel and they took a look at the PCE Mini here

Edit: Figured I might as well repost these as well:

Some interesting takeaways from the interview: Slowdown and sprite flickering you might see in games was in fact added in on purpose because they wanted the games to play as closely to the originals as possible, they had a choice between going with buttons that worked exactly like the original's or felt more modern and decided on the latter, and the controller cords being so long is because the machine is so small/light and they're to prevent people from pulling it off tables.

Last edited:

lachesis

I just got my PC Engine Mini from Amazon Jp.... that I'm pleasantly surprised to find out they ship out to U.S.! :D (And at very reasonable shipping price.)

I hooked it up to TV and it worked great for a while - and then found out that I had a dud. I mean, USB ports in front began not working at all. Different power supplies, and no dice.

Googled about any fixes - and looks like I'm not the only one who's having the same issue and no other way than return/refund all the way back to Japan. Need to visit DHL tomorrow morning and would see how much it would cost.... I may be able to get refund on shipping back to Japan - but still, what a nuisance.

I am debating whether to buy another one or not. It is such an attractive model, albeit much larger than I thought it would be. It should have been 2/3 size of Super NES mini, tbh... and I'm not sure if I want to go with TG 16 Mini, because that thing is just way too big... what a bummer.

I may wait a few months and see if they go on sale again in Japan. I got it like 7400 yen, so including shipping to NJ, it was something around 96 dollars.

dave_d

I just got my PC Engine Mini from Amazon Jp.... that I'm pleasantly surprised to find out they ship out to U.S.! :D (And at very reasonable shipping price.)

I hooked it up to TV and it worked great for a while - and then found out that I had a dud. I mean, USB ports in front began not working at all. Different power supplies, and no dice.

Googled about any fixes - and looks like I'm not the only one who's having the same issue and no other way than return/refund all the way back to Japan. Need to visit DHL tomorrow morning and would see how much it would cost.... I may be able to get refund on shipping back to Japan - but still, what a nuisance.

I am debating whether to buy another one or not. It is such an attractive model, albeit much larger than I thought it would be. It should have been 2/3 size of Super NES mini, tbh... and I'm not sure if I want to go with TG 16 Mini, because that thing is just way too big... what a bummer.

I may wait a few months and see if they go on sale again in Japan. I got it like 7400 yen, so including shipping to NJ, it was something around 96 dollars.

Are you sure it's a dud? I have the TG-16 mini and first tried to run it with power from my Tivo and it would start but then act flakey. (Games would start but not run.) I tried plugging it into the USB port on my router and with that it worked fine.

lachesis

Are you sure it's a dud? I have the TG-16 mini and first tried to run it with power from my Tivo and it would start but then act flakey. (Games would start but not run.) I tried plugging it into the USB port on my router and with that it worked fine.

Unfortunately no... I tried different USB ports, and it didn't help - that even on several Amazon JP's review have same complaints. Perhaps it was a bad batch or whatnot.

dave_d

Unfortunately no... I tried different USB ports, and it didn't help - that even on several Amazon JP's review have same complaints. Perhaps it was a bad batch or whatnot.
Sorry to hear that. I was hoping it was something like what I ran into. (Where it wouldn't work right with power from my Tivo but would with power from my router. Funny thing is it also wouldn't work with either the sega 6button usb pad or my Wiiu to USB adapter but did work with the included tg-16 pad.)

lachesis

Sorry to hear that. I was hoping it was something like what I ran into. (Where it wouldn't work right with power from my Tivo but would with power from my router. Funny thing is it also wouldn't work with either the sega 6button usb pad or my Wiiu to USB adapter but did work with the included tg-16 pad.)

I'm finding out that on the instruction manual, USB power needs to be 5.0v/2.0a. I don't think I under powered it as it's rated at 2.5a, and it will only draw what it's needed... but whatever is the cause of this, I'm little disappointed that they didn't include the power brick.

Well, the shipping cost me today a whopping $151.42 via DHL as their instruction... - about twice more than what it cost me to buy. Hoping the refund process would go smoothly for shipping as well... wrote a long paragraph of situation for the Amazon JP customer service explaining the situation (and they tell me if the product is defect, they'll refund the shipping cost back to them) - so hopefully all will go well.

Now I'm left with extra controller (turbo button one) that I bought separately on U.S. Amazon. I really like the controller, so I may just keep that one for PC.

lachesis

Did you use a raspberry pi power supply by any chance?

I did! Perhaps that's the reason it's not working? It worked fine on another one (multi port power hub where all my other Mini/classics are connected) - but when I hooked it up to Raspberry Pi one, it started not working. I switched back to the power hub, it still was broken.

Maybe it's the Pi supply - I don't know. It says it's 5.0v/2.5a - and even though I'm not an electrician, I thought amperage isn't a issue. Perhaps I'm wrong.
Some reddit person is saying that he had the same issue - but others had no problems. I don't know, but after that - I'm not going to put it into Pi supply. Not Nes classic, not SNES classic, and not my Megadrive Mini, nor PSX classic.

Anyhow... the Amazon JP's customer service came thru in flying color. I did try chat with them in Japanese (google translate) - and they connected me to an english speaking representative - and he/she solved the whole shipping charge issue for me. They sent me the email, and I had to provide a picture of the receipt & tracking #.

They'll be putting back 12000 yen into my card, but rest (as the shipping was 151 dollars) - will be given to me as a Amazon Gift card for Amazon JP site. Once I get that, and when the price hits 7400 yen again - then will probably buy one again. Maybe this time, Core GFX version, and probably get that overpriced PSU too. (Although.. I really liked Far East of Eden Nazi Manji Maru... especially the Ghibli Music.. I was just getting started on it.. :(... and I completed Tokimeki Memorial long time ago on PSX version, all endings... not sure if I will ever do that again though.)

Last edited:

Impotaku

I did! Perhaps that's the reason it's not working? It worked fine on another one (multi port power hub where all my other Mini/classics are connected) - but when I hooked it up to Raspberry Pi one, it started not working. I switched back to the power hub, it still was broken.

Maybe it's the Pi supply - I don't know. It says it's 5.0v/2.5a - and even though I'm not an electrician, I thought amperage isn't a issue. Perhaps I'm wrong.
Some reddit person is saying that he had the same issue - but others had no problems. I don't know, but after that - I'm not going to put it into Pi supply. Not Nes classic, not SNES classic, and not my Megadrive Mini, nor PSX classic.

Anyhow... the Amazon JP's customer service came thru in flying color. I did try chat with them in Japanese (google translate) - and they connected me to an english speaking representative - and he/she solved the whole shipping charge issue for me. They sent me the email, and I had to provide a picture of the receipt & tracking #.

They'll be putting back 12000 yen into my card, but rest (as the shipping was 151 dollars) - will be given to me as a Amazon Gift card for Amazon JP site. Once I get that, and when the price hits 7400 yen again - then will probably buy one again. Maybe this time, Core GFX version, and probably get that overpriced PSU too. (Although.. I really liked Far East of Eden Nazi Manji Maru... especially the Ghibli Music.. I was just getting started on it.. :(... and I completed Tokimeki Memorial long time ago on PSX version, all endings... not sure if I will ever do that again though.)

There seems to be something different with a pi power supply that kills them im guessing it provides a bit higher voltage than stated, here in the uk there is no official power brick for the pce mini i ended up having to use my iphone usb power plug but that seems to work fine it only outputs 5 volts at 1amp but i don't think using a lower amperage is a problem as the reason that konami says to use a 2amp power supply is because of the multitap hub as when you have 4 pads connected it pulls more current. If you are just using 1 pad on it then 1amp is ok. I have a white japanese unit and a grey euro coregrafx unit and both seem to be happy with my 1amp iphone power brick.

Sucks that you have to go through the return hassle, hope you get a refund on the postage.

S73v3

Banned
I had mine for about 3 months, like other micro consoles you need to loosen the screws on the back to get the dpad and buttons to feel right

One of the controllers had a button that still had a bit of plastic tab from moulding and made the button jam at certain angles, but I fixed that.

Overall it's probly my fav micro console despite it's flaws, the sega comes close tho, the nintendo ones are solid too of course.

S73v3

Banned
Sorry if it's already been mentioned but how is it for lag?
Itching to play a decent port of Ghouls n Ghosts

On the mini I can beat rondo of blood with no deaths pretty easily on both routes, almost not getting hit too.

I haven't put in a lot of effort into GnG yet, so I can't speak for that game

Last edited:
Weird last night I had an urge to get one of these things then I see this thread was bumped. It looks like they're sold out on Amazon. I haven't been following this much but does anyone know if they restocked past the initial launch or was it a one time deal?

Top Bottom