• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TurboGrafx-16 Virtual Console for Europe this week

Robin64

On July 28th 2016, three TG-16 games will be released for Wii U's VC in Europe.

Bonk’s Adventure – £5.39 / €5.99
New Adventure Island – £5.39 / €5.99
R-TYPE – £7.19 / €7.99

Edit: It's been a while, but two more will be out on Feb 2nd 2017

Bomberman '94 - £6.29 / €6.99
Gradius - £6.29 / €6.99

Edit2: Two more on March 16th 2017

Dungeon Explorer - £?.?? / €?.??
Neutopia - £?.?? / €?.??

I don't want to sound too ungrateful as content is always welcome, but where the fuck was this years ago? Wii U is pretty much done, finished, and over. I really, really hope this is all ready to go day one on NX.

Piccoro

Awesome! Already have Rondo of Blood on the Wii, but I'll upgrade to the Wii U version when it releases eventually!

(About time, now where's Mega Drive?)

Careful what you wish for... All MegaDrive games on the EU Wii were forced 50hz. Even the Japan only games like Pulseman...

Phoenixus

I don't want to sound too ungrateful as content is always welcome, but where the fuck was this years ago? Wii U is pretty much done, finished, and over.I really, really hope this is all ready to go day one on NX.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't. I highly doubt there'll be WiiU Game BC but I'm expecting Virtual Console compatibility straight off.
Then again I said the same thing when the Wii U came out in regards to native support, so I guess we'll see. :/

-shadow-

I keep reading about the "terrible emulation" of the Virtual Console but is there anything more to it than color issues?

NES games are ridiculously blurry and many have a lot of input lag on the N64. SNES is mostly fine though scaling options would be welcome and DS/GBA are just fine as they are. But the filter that darkens the image really is terrible.
Now many have proven that the emulation itself is just fine, but for some reason Nintendo has added these terrible filters that can't be disabled by the user unless using a hack.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
NES games are ridiculously blurry and many have a lot of input lag on the N64. SNES is mostly fine though scaling options would be welcome and DS/GBA are just fine as they are. But the filter that darkens the image really is terrible.
Now many have proven that the emulation itself is just fine, but for some reason Nintendo has added these terrible filters that can't be disabled by the user unless using a hack.
Yeah that's what I gathered, it's "only" display issues. Did anyone ever tried to hold start while launching a VC game on WiiU? On 3DS it launches the games at the original ratio.

The Giant

Banned
The fact that they are adding turbografx at the end of wii u's life. Tells me that the wii u eshop will transfer over tp NX.

AmyS

p0S7yM7.jpg

na2spWA.jpg

-shadow-

Ah great! Might as well give it a try in that case!

Yeah that's what I gathered, it's "only" display issues. Did anyone ever tried to hold start while launching a VC game on WiiU? On 3DS it launches the games at the original ratio.

Outside of button configuration there's no options for most platforms what so ever. None...

The fact that they are adding turbografx at the end of wii u's life. Tells me that the wii u eshop will transfer over tp NX.

That's the only logical explanation. Crazy to think TG16 games were available at launch (at least in the US) for the Wii, but only just now made it to the EU for WiiU.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Two more for Europe this week, out on Feb 2nd!

Bomberman '94 - €6.99/£6.29
Gradius - €6.99/£6.29

Put Bomberman 94 on Switch....would rather get this than paying full price for the new one lol.

E-phonk

Banned
Two more for Europe this week, out on Feb 2nd!

Bomberman '94 - €6.99/£6.29
Gradius - €6.99/£6.29

Cool, i just got into bomberman multiplayer thanks to the NES classic and had been researching which one has the ultimate multiplayer mode, where most seemed to agree on either this one or the Jaguar one that is kind of impossible to legally get at this point (although I used to own a jaguar, which I seemed to have lost).

Hope it transfers to switch!

E-phonk

Banned
Any word of the cost of upgrading licenses from the Wii? Is that even a thing?

According to Nintendo's website:
To qualify for the discounted version, the Wii version of the game must first be either:
* Purchased on the Wii Shop on Wii U, or
* Transferred from a Wii to the Wii U system

When you visit the Nintendo eShop on the Wii U, the Wii U version will automatically be discounted. The reduced price is $1.00 for NES titles, $1.50 for SNES titles, or $2.00 for N64 titles.
No idea how much it is for TG16

EDIT: This site says it's 50% off if you bought TG16 games on Wii.

cw_sasuke

I would love if they carried over, but realistically this is Nintendo, so they won't

I was able to transfer my DSi content to 3DS and Wii to WiiU - that was prior to them having an account system.

I know the status quo is to expect the worst from Nintendo when it comes to online/digital stores - but when it comes to transferring your content to a new system they often had a solution ready.

So there will likely be "something" to make people wanna make the Switch rather soon than later...but we will have to wait for the next Direct and the announcement.

Robin64

It's amusing how people are all "probably not, because Nintendo" while my PS3 stuff sits on my PS3 and isn't there on my PS4. Heck, until a few days ago, Mega Man 9 was stuck on my Xbox 360.

cw_sasuke

It's amusing how people are all "probably not, because Nintendo" while my PS3 stuff sits on my PS3 and isn't there on my PS4. Heck, until a few days ago, Mega Man 9 was stuck on my Xbox 360.

Yeah i dont quite get it - especially if same people are fine to rebuy classics on PS4 - but would get crazy if it was the same on Switch.

The fact that Sony doesnt let you play PSone classics on PS4 is crazy. They could have running a PSone Emu on there in like 2 days.
At least there is one good version of Bomberman coming out this year.
If this comes to Switch it will be amazing, especially if it supports 5 joycons.

Yeah - i would rather play Bomberman 94 classics in tabletop Mode with friends.

oni-link

How many PS3 games were you asked to rebuy on PS4?

It's more than this will probably be the 3rd gen in a row Nintendo will ask people to buy it's VC games

While Sony are by no means perfect, I've had a load of PS3 games become retroactively cross buy, so Hotline Miami and Journey and The Unfinished Swan etc are all free for me to play on PS4 because I own them on PS3. Plus PS1 games cross over to Vita for free

I own Mario 3 on Wii and Wii U, and I'll be really surprised if I can play that same ROM on Switch without paying another fee

Edit: Not to say Sony are perfect, no PS1 on PS4 is insane, but the way Nintendo has handled it's VC so far is disappointing

Camaway2

Absolutely. "This is Nintendo" as opposed to what exacty?

cw_sasuke

How many PS3 games were you asked to rebuy on PS4?

How many Psone and PS2 Classics you bought on PS3 run on your PS4 ?
You can transfer and play all Wii VC games on WiiU for free - you only have to pay if you want the WiiU specific features - not optimal but still way better than having no option at all like with PS3/PS4.

A couple indie games letting you "upgrade" for free doesnt change the fact that the whole classic PS3 libary doesnt run on PS4. All the classic Squaresoft RPGs, MGS, Resident Evil series etc. that i bought wont run on on PS4.

oni-link

How many Psone and PS2 Classics you bought on PS3 run on your PS4 ?
You can transfer and play all Wii VC games on WiiU for free - you only have to pay if you want the WiiU specific features - not optimal but still way better than having no option at all like with PS3/PS4.

A couple indie games letting you "upgrade" for free doesnt change the fact that the whole classic PS3 libary doesnt run on PS4. All the classic Squaresoft RPGs, MGS, Resident Evil series etc. that i bought wont run on on PS4.

Sony being bad at this doesn't mean Nintendo aren't worse

I think there is a better chance my digital PS4 games will work/run on PS5 than my digital Wii U games will work/run on Switch

Also at some point Sony might put PS1 games on PS4, it is pretty baffling as to why they haven't already

tolkir

At least there is one good version of Bomberman coming out this year.

If this comes to Switch it will be amazing, especially if it supports 5 joycons. I'm pretty doubtful though.

Yeah - i would rather play Bomberman 94 classics in tabletop Mode with friends.

Sorry that you don't like a game that you haven't played.

Probably we don't need Super Mario Odyssey either if Super Mario 64 is still the goat.

cw_sasuke

Sony being bad at this doesn't mean Nintendo aren't worse

I think there is a better chance my digital PS4 games will work/run on PS5 than my digital Wii U games will work/run on Switch

Also at some point Sony might put PS1 games on PS4, it is pretty baffling as to why they haven't already
Ddv36dO.gif

Sorry that you don't like a game that you haven't played.

Probably we don't need Super Mario Odyssey either if Super Mario 64 is still the goat.

Where did i say i dont like it ? I would just rather have Bomberman 94 on my Switch.

entremet

I don't want to sound too ungrateful as content is always welcome, but where the fuck was this years ago? Wii U is pretty much done, finished, and over. I really, really hope this is all ready to go day one on NX.

It's a Nintendo thing lol.

Nintendo courts publishers with to put their games on the service. It's very wack and stupid and explains the crazy droughts.

Publishers don't come up to Nintendo and say, "Can we put these games on the store?" That's not how it works.

cw_sasuke

Well I'm glad you're 100% happy with how Nintendo run both the VC and their online services

No one said that - just stating facts. You can play all the VC titles purchased on Wii on your WiiU. You can play none of your PSone, PS2 Classics purchased on PS3 on your PS4.

Thats the way it is.

boiled goose

good with gravy

I'm not buying anything digital on Nintendo till I know what exactly I'm buying.

No proper account no buy.

No one said that - just stating facts. You can play all the VC titles purchased on Wii on your WiiU. You can play none of your PSone, PS2 Classics purchased on PS3 on your PS4.

Thats the way it is.

How it's done currently is simply not good enough for me. I don't care if it's worse on sony.

The fact that mobile games like Mario run, miitomo, and Pokemon go are properly tied to a digital account but the games on Nintendo's platform are not is devastating.

As a consumer I have to vote with my dollar. No account, no buy.hh

Top Bottom