• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turns out No Man's Sky has no multiplayer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nynt9

I think this deserves its own thread as it's getting buried in other threads.

lol

Also, same location same time:

http://imgur.com/a/klomu

It appears their day/night cycles are different too, so there is definitely no syncing. Different instances or all done locally.

b2xsnhS.jpg

Previously, the developers have been very coy about multiplayer:

“Your friends will be a long way away. People keep asking us about multiplayer and I think when people see this they are going to fully realize what it means to be that far away from somebody else who’s playing…

People keep saying to us, ‘Yeah, but what if I knew where they were? Would I go there?’ And it’s like, yeah, but they are going to have to stay there for quite a while while you get over there. And then once you get over there you might land on the same planet and then you will say, ‘I’m on a planet the size of Earth and I am on a mountain. Where are you?’”

“Just to be really clear… it is not an MMO. All of those questions are leading toward that. There are loads of MMOs out there. People can play those. We want people to be able to get a sense of playing with other people and to see other people and feel like this is a real, live universe.

I can't find the quote, but they've also said "Even if you meet up with another player you might not be able to tell that they're a human player"

While they have never explicitly confirmed multiplayer, they never really denied it either, giving vague answers. I think this is misleading and people should be aware of this.

They did tweet yesterday, https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/762688708764135425

"To be super clear - No Man's Sky is not a multiplayer game. Please don't go in looking for that experience."

But that was on the release date of the game after being very coy for months.

What do you all think?

To be clear, by "no multiplayer" I mean "you can't meet other players", which they alluded you can: “We handle the case like where other people can fly past in your game or that you can bump into other players in the game.”

Honestly, that seems like it'd be an impossible feat considering the way things are generated around you. Imagine having to account for one player affecting the map in one way and having that be accounted for in the perspective of the other player.

People expecting this to have "multiplayer" in the traditional sense clearly do not understand the process in which this game was made to begin with.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm okay with it being a single player experience.

Pretty sure Sean said on an IGN video last year that just because you're at the same coordinates that doesn't guarantee you'll see someone dinner there are several instances of the game that players are in.

nynt9

b2xsnhS.jpg

So is this two different people on the same planet?

Is this from the leaked guys last week?

This is from a stream happening right now: https://www.twitch.tv/psytokat

The two dudes have been trying to encounter each other despite being in the same spot for the past half hour or so and they haven't been able to. They went to a space station, there was an NPC there and it said completely different things to the different streamers. They keep trying to meet up but can't.

This is from a stream happening right now: https://www.twitch.tv/psytokat

The two dudes have been trying to encounter each other despite being in the same spot for the past half hour or so and they haven't been able to. They went to a space station, there was an NPC there and it said completely different things to the different streamers. They keep trying to meet up but can't.

How can two players be in the same spot on launch day?

I thought this was impossible?

Or is Psytokat still using the unpatched version with the exploits?

Pretty sure Sean said on an IGN video last year that just because you're at the same coordinates that doesn't guarantee you'll see someone dinner there are several instances of the game that players are in.
But that bit of info wouldn't fit with this weird ongoing narrative that Hello Games has set out to deceive the unsuspecting gamer populace about the nature of this game.

nynt9

How can two players be in the same spot on launch day?

I thought this was impossible?

Or is Psytokat still using the unpatched version with the exploits?

They organized and met up. Maybe they were lucky and spawned close together, maybe the game isn't as large as we thought it would be.

They organized and met up. Maybe they were lucky and spawned close together, maybe the game isn't as large as we thought it would be.

Well, now I'm just completely and utterly confused.

Sean said a meeting between players, in the patched version, would be nigh impossible on Day 1.

That the size of the galaxy and distance between starting locations and the lack of a starting hyperdrive fast enough to travel the distance in a short period of time would make it almost impossible to achieve this the first day of release.

So, wtf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom