• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turns Out PS5 Leak Showing Available SSD Storage Was Real

GamerEDM

Banned

h6zAeUC.png

664 gb useable storage

Said it before and I'll say it again, the move to SSD meant we were never going to have enough built in storage in either console, we are going to get a lot more benefit from the faster loading etc than we would an extra TB of slow storage. I'm guessing most people who post on forums already have some type of external storage anyway so we'll just have to swap games back and forth or buy expensive expansion options. People act like this is some huge drawback for the PS5 as if the Series X isn't only giving 802GB of usable space on their 1TB drive, you know what this is going to amount to? probably 2-3 less games on the PS5 SSD compared to the Series X.

Last edited:

tillbot8

Banned
Yeah, sounds about right to me. Kinda sucks but what ya gonna do? I'd say 1tb SSD's for PS5 requirements will go down to a 120 bucks of so in a year or two. Teething pains but won't be too bad in the long run!

Beardsalt

I’ve had both a launch PS4 and Xbox One till this day(500gigs)
I have purchased and played over 60 on my PS4 and around 30 on my Xbox
I’ve never really run into a problem because I usually only play 3 games at a time on either one
Also I keep Destiny 2 and Battlefield 5 on my systems which takes up 250gigs just between those 2!

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I guess it's surprising to YongYea, since, as usual, he has to sensationalize something to manufacture false controversy to make a profit on. 🤔
YongYea mostly just regurgitates day old news except he does it in a clean algorithm-friendly way.

His opinion is always on the back of the popular opinion. His technical knowledge is middling to non-existent. He is background noise that masquerades as informative.

He's a wet dream for the YouTube algorithm which usually means he has very little substance to offer.

The drive space itself is not the issue....it’s the lack of communication on actual ways to upgrade your storage and how external drives work that’s the problem

Are we able to upgrade the internal slot on day 1 with a m2 drive?

what drives are compatible?

can we copy ps5 games to internal and out when not in use?

Banned
well it was pretty much to be expected that this video was real. I feel like Sony would have said something to stop these rumors if there were not real
that video also confirms my suspicion that this leaked black controller was most likely a dev kit unit

Last edited:

Yoboman

The drive space itself is not the issue....it’s the lack of communication on actual ways to upgrade your storage and how external drives work that’s the problem

Are we able to upgrade the internal slot on day 1 with a m2 drive?

what drives are compatible?

can we copy ps5 games to internal and out when not in use?
No, they said they would release a list AFTER launch way back in Road to PS5

The market simply doesn't have many if any fast enough drives yet

Last edited:

FeldMonster

Preorder cancelled :messenger_face_steam:
I am not a Playstation fan, but why on earth would you cancel a successful preorder for these ridiculously hard to find consoles? At an absolute minimum, you can sell it at MSRP, and very likely, at a profit. Though I guess I would prefer a launch console go to someone that truly wants one.

LENCH187

I am not a Playstation fan, but why on earth would you cancel a successful preorder for these ridiculously hard to find consoles? At an absolute minimum, you can sell it at MSRP, and very likely, at a profit. Though I guess I would prefer a launch console go to someone that truly wants one.

The same kind of people that sit around at their job, and have been saying "Im leaving this place" for years.

They just want attention.

The storage isnt a dealbreaker although I do agree there should have been a lot more clarity on it before now

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
This is like getting a new 6 series BMW for 20K and complaining that you don't like the alloys....

You can buy 1TB for 200 dollars IF you need it and you probably will not need it for 6 months to a year or so.

It's funny how people are complaining that there is 'nothing to play at launch' in one thread and in the very next thread they are saying '664GB isn't enough for ALL these games'.

For those of us who can't (or don't want to) watch a video right now, what is new here? Is there confirmation from Sony or someone else or is this the same rumour from before?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
we all knew this since the Cerny presentation i really dont know why ppl are shocked about this.

Some people were expecting the 825GB was usable space as in its 1TB SSD but you can only use 825GB of it, not that it was actually an 825GB SSD that then has even less usable space.

Kagero

I wonder how much room astrobot takes up. That's a pre installed game right? Wonder how much we can gain by deleting it.

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member

selling at MSRP is more work than just canceling and selling at a profit puts you at risk of being stabbed in person or dealing with scammers on eBay

FrankWza

For those of us who can't (or don't want to) watch a video right now, what is new here? Is there confirmation from Sony or someone else or is this the same rumour from before?

It’s for people that read a box and see 1 tb and think they’re getting the entire 1tb and not accounting for OS.

Also, for people that don’t understand this drive is absolutely future tech that is not available anywhere else and won’t be for months. Poor kids

Top Bottom