• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turns Out PS5 Leak Showing Available SSD Storage Was Real

Meh, I usually have only a couple of games installed and play one at a time.
It's disappointing but I can live on 660 GBs if file sizes aren't absolutely massive this gen. I had a 1TB ps4 pro and 1tb extra storage external hard drive and I had way more space than I ever needed.

The only game of which I've already seen the retro-cover is Demon's Souls Remake, and it says 66GB minimum required.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Since when have console ever listed the usable space on the spec sheet? Sounds like nonsense

Telling a consumer the size of the SSD instead of the approx. available space doesn't make any sense, and historical conduct doesn't exactly help. It's a practice we should all be glad to see be gone from all types of devices no matter the camp.

FrankWza

Telling a consumer the size of the SSD instead of the approx. available space doesn't make any sense, and historical conduct doesn't exactly help. It's a practice we should all be glad to see be gone from all types of devices no matter the camp.

But OS size changes after a product hits the market , many times, Sometimes even before it releases. So showing the amount available of any product would present problems because of all kinds of updates that are mandatory for stability and security.The size on the box IS the size of the drive.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
But OS size changes after a product hits the market , many times, Sometimes even before it releases. So showing the amount available of any product would present problems because of all kinds of updates that are mandatory for stability and security.The size on the box IS the size of the drive.

Let me answer with asking these rhetorical question: Do you think that you are allowed to fill up your drive with games so much so that you can no longer install updates to your console..? Do you think an update would be able to break your games? No.. The OS drive partition is already reserved with room to spare and this is included in the size of the OS, and you'd never be able to install games there. The available space is known and fixed, it should be on the box.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Let me answer with asking these rhetorical question: Do you think that you are allowed to fill up your drive with games so much so that you can no longer install updates to your console..? No.. The OS drive partition is already reserved, you'd never be able to install games there.

I don’t understand what you’re trying to say. Are you saying all hard drive space is dedicated just to games?

nemiroff

Gold Member
I don’t understand what you’re trying to say. Are you saying all hard drive space is dedicated just to games?

The drive space / partition allocated for games, yes, AFAIK. I might of course be wrong, I'm not claiming to be a know-it-all, but logically I can't see how I'm awfully wrong. The OS space for existing files and future updates is most likely known and fixed in a reserved partition, because otherwise you'd break the updates by filling up the drive/partition with games - And vice versa. The only counter theory could be of course that the allocation is abnormally set, and the updates could be one-way and dynamic per update to reclaim wasted space. IDK, is there a historical precedence for this happening after a specific SKU release? It doesn't seem like the most likely scenario to me, but what do I know..

Last edited:
Wonder how much the comments here conflict with the ones on the XSS storage thread. :pie_thinking:

Same person here and on the XSS thread:

On PS5: Doesn't matter, only have a handful of games installed at a time.

On XSS: Haha, you can only have a handful of games installed.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

All next gen consoles have too small SSD, to certain kind of gamers.

XSS ssd is ridiculously small, not just because it is small but it is also digital only console which means that you cant speed up installs by initial disc install even if you wanted to.

PS5 ssd is also too small, but difference between 3xx vs 6xx gb is kind of "clearly too small vs barely enough". Enough for bunch of games + captured videos, but still too small for bigger library

xsex have bit more space, but it is still in the "barely enough" category.

Easy way to think if it is too small is:

Do I need to waste my time to thinking if I need to delete / re-install games because of space?
Do I need to worry about the ssd space and limit the amount of games I want to have installed?

if either is YES = too small

Personally I have/had 20-40 games installed on ps4 + 300-400gb of recorded gameplay, it filled 2x 1tb space, so I would have needed maybe 4-6gb to feel comfortable and not to have to worry about the damn "install 1 game, lets see what I have to delete"

But there is no other option than to accept that even 2tb ssd would have been too expensive for many gamers.

Better to sell consoles with smaller space which is enough for xx% and rest can buy more, so console price stays lower and those that install only 1-2 games wont complain.

My solution = get 2-4tb usb disc for ps4 installs + recordings, then get 2tb ssd add-on when they cost ~100€ and untill that I try not to hoard so many ps5 games on the same time :messenger_savoring:

cormack12

Gold Member
The trade off was performance for capacity against price. If 825GB is an issue then chances are the 1TB we current get is an issue and most people will have externals to swap games back and forth. It will be easy to fill 650GB, but it will also be easy to just archive those games off. I can't seen it being an issue until we actually all next gen games that really lean on the SSDs. So pain in the ass but probably worth the gains.

Xdrive05

Storage maintenance will be a very big deal this gen. As long as archiving to slower drives is still easy and available, it will be fine. But I think both companies need to keep their messaging on point.

By end of this gen, that 350GB (or whatever) max available for the Series S will be the hard limit under which devs must size their games, in order to keep supporting the Xbox Series platform, obviously. I would be surprised to see many games go over 150GB by end of this gen, just for convenience reasons for Series S support. PS5 is not even twice that amount, so same principle holds true.

All next gen consoles have too small SSD, to certain kind of gamers.

XSS ssd is ridiculously small, not just because it is small but it is also digital only console which means that you cant speed up installs by initial disc install even if you wanted to.

PS5 ssd is also too small, but difference between 3xx vs 6xx gb is kind of "clearly too small vs barely enough". Enough for bunch of games + captured videos, but still too small for bigger library

xsex have bit more space, but it is still in the "barely enough" category.

Easy way to think if it is too small is:

Do I need to waste my time to thinking if I need to delete / re-install games because of space?
Do I need to worry about the ssd space and limit the amount of games I want to have installed?

if either is YES = too small

Personally I have/had 20-40 games installed on ps4 + 300-400gb of recorded gameplay, it filled 2x 1tb space, so I would have needed maybe 4-6gb to feel comfortable and not to have to worry about the damn "install 1 game, lets see what I have to delete"

But there is no other option than to accept that even 2tb ssd would have been too expensive for many gamers.

Better to sell consoles with smaller space which is enough for xx% and rest can buy more, so console price stays lower and those that install only 1-2 games wont complain.

My solution = get 2-4tb usb disc for ps4 installs + recordings, then get 2tb ssd add-on when they cost ~100€ and untill that I try not to hoard so many ps5 games on the same time :messenger_savoring:

I am by no means saying both storage solutions are big or enough although the latter is subjective to one's needs. Was just commenting on the typical fanboy double standards.

The PS5 digital will also suffer from being digital only with 600+GB of storage so the XSS isn't alone there.

Both of your ways of thinking if a storage space is too small don't involve money which will be factor number one for vary much likely the majority of people:

Do I need to spend so and so amount of money in a commodity when really I can just have the games I'm currently playing installed?

Now I don't think like that but I can afford not to. I have a 4TB external HDD which I use to store games I download so I don't have to download again. Even that may be close to getting full but I've got a lot of games on there.

Like you said, if the consoles had more storage they'd surely be more expensive and TBH obviously people would be happier with more storage but it's something most can leave with. Plus smaller external HDD's are not even that expensive so some may opt to buy those for added storage.

Moogle11

Banned
Meh, I usually have only a couple of games installed and play one at a time.

Same here. Moot for me especially as a one and done gamer that rarely replays things. I mostly buy physical games and sell them off when I’m done so there’s no reason for me to keep those installed.

I have a 2TB external drive I can throw games on if space ever gets right with digital games I may want to revisit down the road. Redownloadingnis an option too, but I try to limit that as Xfinity is out only broad band option and they have a 1.29TB cap in our market.

Last edited:
Top Bottom