• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turok 1 & 2 re-releasing on PC; Dinosaurs coming to Steam, GOG, etc.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Turok 1 & 2 are back, and re-releasing on PC to various digital platforms.

Remember when Acclaim offered $10,000 to parents who named their kid "Turok?" I still get a good laugh out of that whenever I think of the series.

Beyond that legacy they were actually fun little shooters, and now both Turok and Turok 2: Seeds of Evil are being re-released for PC by Night Dive Studios. They will be sold through Steam, the Humble store, GOG, GG, Greenman Gaming, and through the developer's site.

Some additional info from Gamespot.
Both games "will be re-mastered for today's modern computers with enhanced graphics and other improvements," the developer said in a statement.
"Night Dive Studios believes that classic video games should never be abandoned or forgotten," the company says. "They should be available to play at any time, run out of the box without the hassle of installing outdated drivers, or using obsolete hardware. Movies are restored, books are digitized, and art is preserved to be appreciated for all time. Why should games be any different?"

No release date or price point yet. And some screens from the new PC versions:

TT1-noscale.jpg
TT4-noscale.jpg
TT7-noscale.jpg
TT2-noscale.jpg
TT5-noscale.jpg
TT8-noscale.jpg
TT3-noscale.jpg
TT6-noscale.jpg
TT9-noscale.jpg

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Man, I loved these games so much as a kid. I don't think I even wanna go back and ruin that memory by playing these again lol.

RoadDogg

I am in. I love them on N64 but can't bring myself to try playing them that way anymore.

Also - Your link is to the 2007 name contest, not an announcement of the re-release.

Mareg

Men the second game was such a blast on the PC. I remember it rocking my world on the voodoo 2. It was so fluid and fast !

Dusk Golem

I am in. I love them on N64 but can't bring myself to try playing them that way anymore.

Also - Your link is to the 2007 name contest, not an announcement of the re-release.

Fixed and fixed. There was a link to it in the actual thing I meant to link too. XD;

collige

Banned
I can't wait to play Turok 2 with an actual framerate. Color me hyped.

Hopefully the fog can be modded out too.

DryvBy

I'll buy them. I love playing games I grew up with. Turok 2 is one of the best shooters of it's time.

Kids don't even understand Turok fog.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
I remember those games running at like 15fps. The jump to 60 will be glorious.

Paging Jawmuncher and Bish.

Have the framerates been upped to 60fps minimum? I don't know how the original releases fared.

What is new about these releases?

I played a ton of Turok 2 on N64, but the game was so massive I never ended up anywhere near finishing it. I remember getting to one level that was like a giant maze of tunnels and had enough. I would be interested in re-playing that game to see if a good frame-rate + mouse/keyboard will make it any easier.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
games are awesome recently played them and still fun for me, wooooooo

turok has aged much better than goldeneye for me

Might be the most unexpected news I've heard all year. This is just... weird.

Cool though.

shadowman is on steam too, there is talk of a shadowman sequel next year tying in with the comic etc.

this at 60fps please

get

SparkTR

What's the difference (if any) between the old PC versions and the n64 versions?

The major one was the KB/M controls, the game was a major pain in the ass on the N64 but is much easier and funner with a mouse. The N64 version also had some extra blood effects I think, though this re-release uses a remade engine I think (sunshafts and whatnot).

Dusk Golem

What's the difference (if any) between the old PC versions and the n64 versions?

Paging Jawmuncher and Bish.

Have the framerates been upped to 60fps minimum? I don't know how the original releases fared.

What is new about these releases?

Updated the OP, but from a Gamespot news article with quotes from the developer, no specifics but these are 'remastered' versions of the game, will work perfectly with modern computers, have enhanced graphics, performance boosts, and other improvements. To quote:

Both games "will be re-mastered for today's modern computers with enhanced graphics and other improvements," the developer said in a statement.

"Night Dive Studios believes that classic video games should never be abandoned or forgotten," the company says. "They should be available to play at any time, run out of the box without the hassle of installing outdated drivers, or using obsolete hardware. Movies are restored, books are digitized, and art is preserved to be appreciated for all time. Why should games be any different?"

Calamari41

41 > 38
Turok had some really creative weapons that were a LOT of fun to play around with. I will buy these even if they have probably aged horribly.

Updated the OP, but from a Gamespot news article with quotes from the developer, no specifics but these are 'remastered' versions of the game, will work perfectly with modern computers, have enhanced graphics, performance boosts, and other improvements. To quote:

Ah yes, Night Dive, knew they sounded familiar, bit more optimistic now. Their ports of System Shock and Strife were apparently up to snuff. It's just a question price now. $9.99 to 14.99 I imagine?

Zoolader

Too bad we can't get a new Turok game that's good. Those games were among my favorite on the N64. I'm not expecting these two games to hold up that well but I might still buy them at some point.

Turok had some really creative weapons that were a LOT of fun to play around with. I will buy these even if they have probably aged horribly.

The first game is still really awesome to be honest. I like it.

The second game should is full of evil.
games are awesome recently played them and still fun for me, wooooooo

turok has aged much better than goldeneye for me

shadowman is on steam too, there is talk of a shadowman sequel next year tying in with the comic etc.

this at 60fps please

get

You can already play the second and 1st game at 60fps. The second game has the least problems at 60.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Great news to wake up to! I've still the proud owner of the N64 originals, but more people should have access - and on better hardware. :p

Bought, I loved the first two games on N64. Will play them purely out of nostalgia. At least the music of 2 will hold up for sure.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Great news to wake up to! I've still the proud owner of the N64 originals, but more people should have access - and on better hardware. :p

was this why you mentioned turok news recently :D

So lemme tell you why I will forever dislike Turok 2. Back in 2000 when Perfect Dark was released for the N64. I asked my dad if I could get that game for Christmas (I was 6 years old at the time). He said sure why not. My brother (8 at the time) went behind my back and told my dad that I didn't want Perfect Dark but instead wanted Turok 2. My dad decided to not verify with me and listened to my brother and on Christmas morning when I went downstairs to open my gifts.. I open up a surprise to this damn box instead of Perfect Dark...

256px-Turok2box.jpg

I was pissed and my dad knew it too. So I had put it down somewhere in the house to later find my brother open up the damn game and started playing by myself. I will never forget that Christmas and I will never play Turok 2 again because of what happened that year.

Top Bottom