I know your TV would be adjusted properly so I don't get why it's so dark. Mine is adjusted to optimal brightness and I had no problems. In fact, there were very few actual 'black' areas to the picture so I found it a little bright really. Maybe it's an issue with that black level adjustment on NTSC 360's and this being a demo for PAL consoles???andrewfee said:
Anyway, my impressions of the demo:
+ environmental sounds are great. At the very start of the demo I really took notice of the sounds of things moving in the caves.
+ animation on the dinosaurs is great.
+ I enjoyed the gameplay overall. In terms of physics everything felt good.
+ the lights on the gun showing your ammo status are a great idea.
- I found the tone mapping to be a little funny (hope I'm using the right terminology here). The characters themselves would actually go to black when part of their body was in darkness, but the environment didn't have any actual black, only dark grey. Put another way, it's like the gamma on the environment was higher than the characters. Overall, I found the gamma too high.
- the delay on the right analog stick was a bit annoying. You move it, but your vision doesn't start moving until soon after - it makes aiming quite fatiguing for me. If I remember right the Time Shift had something similar to this and it annoyed me there too.
- the red around the edge of the screen when you get hurt is much too intrusive. It didn't seem to be dynamic, so it's like switching on a layer in photoshop with a static image.
- I didn't really like the speed-up delay when Turok starts walking, and Turok walks too slow (even for me who likes to move slow generally).
- I think everyone's tired of caves but at least they were over quick.
- at one point I ran out of ammo and was picking up a couple of guns that I came across, and while fiddling with picking up and putting down guns on the spot, I found the guns I went to pick up originally had just vanished. So I was left with no ammo and nothing to pick up. Under normal 'laws of videogames' nowadays I would assume every time you drop a gun, it just falls on the ground and is available to pick up again. I found the whole X and Y button thing confusing and honestly didn't really figure out what was going on.
Even though my negatives list is longer, I quite liked it overall. If not for the look and walking delays I probably would have enjoyed it more. I sure liked it a lot more than say Timeshift or Jericho.