• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turok demo online on Euro XBL - Impressions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My imressions (PSN demo):

This game is VERY generic. I never truly felt that fantastical connection that I'm on an island where dinosaurs are still alive. I never felt that sense of fear that goes with it. Istead, I'm some 'roided out and armor wearing dipshit who I've seen in far too many games.

This game is the equivalent of remaking Jurassic Park and having C-list actors playing a military squad coming to investigate the island (think of The hills have eyes 2).

Sean

Banned
I thought it was an average game. Hate to say it but didn't even bother completing the demo. I dislike the camera bob effect (where the screen shakes when you walk) in games and there's no way to disable that here. Also don't like being tackled by dinosaurs out of the blue, it just got annoying after awhile watching that same animation. The highlight of the demo was probably the music, it wasn't amazing or anything but it fit the game well IMO.

Seeing those comparison shots would explain my complaints about the graphics. I was wondering what people were saying about the caves being too dark because it was very bright on my screen (to the point where it looked washed out). I see now that the PS3 version just isn't any good comparatively. I'll give it one more chance and try the 360 demo (if it ever goes up for North America, cmon!). Right now I think this game is a rental at best.

As for the PS3 port being awful looking, it's not surprising really... the 360 version was complete all the way back in October (they said this during a GameSpot "On the Spot" demonstration) and the PS3 version was lagging behind. And then there is this interview where Josh Holmes of Propaganda Games basically said Epic doesn't support them much and leaves the team to figure things out for themselves:

How supportive is Epic of the Unreal 3 engine?
Epic’s focus has been Gears. They’ve done a really great job with that product – and it shows where they’re focus has been. They do have the UDN where you can post questions and try to get answers there but in a lot of cases… Number one, they’re busy so getting an answer on something isn’t always quickly answered. Number two, I think that some of the things we’re doing are so radically different from what they’re trying to do with the engine… that becomes something where you’re breaking new ground. In a lot of cases our technical staff figures it out by themselves.

Xater

Wow those screens look horrible. So it wasn't just me that wondered how the game looks so much worse than all those videos I have seen. It's because the PS3 version is shit.

kbear

A big ol' WTF @ those comparison screens... the PS3 version is an embarrassment. The difference is night and day.

acm2000

ahaha and the winner for laziest 360 -> ps3 port goes too.......

so the 360 gets a half decent looking version, and the pc and ps3 get a version that looks like ps2 :lol

Doc Evils

acm2000 said:
ahaha and the winner for laziest 360 -> ps3 port goes too.......

so the 360 gets a half decent looking version, and the pc and ps3 get a version that looks like ps2 :lol

It's pretty shocking.

I've just finished playing both versions.

I played the PS3 version first, and the cave section at the start is incredibly dark. The screen tearing and occasional frame rate dips are annoying.

Then I played the Xbox 360 version and as people have mentioned the difference is really noticeable. Much cleaner looking in general, better texture filtering, consistent lighting and a solid frame rate.

I'm confused though because bishoptl did indeed say they would be identical. There was also a stand at last years E3, with the PS3 and Xbox 360 running side by side. According to people who played it, there was no visual disparities.

So, what happened? Was the PS3 version rushed to keep the simultaneous release date?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Ohhh, wow. That's unacceptable. This one won't even get a rent from me now. :lol

I played the PS3 version first, and the cave section at the start is incredibly dark. The screen tearing and occasional frame rate dips are annoying.

I had the same problem, dark10x got on my case about it. Glad to see it wasn't just me.

TheDuce22

Banned
Is the 360 demo out in north america yet? Thats a huge difference in the screenshots, and I thought the PS3 version was impressive.

Mojovonio said:
This is truly awesome.

Bish assured everyone both would be exactly the same, then this happens.

Its not like this thing is gonna sell on PS3 anyway.

it's waaaaaaay too late but I'm up with a newborn and couldn't let this particular brand of idiocy rest unchallenged.

IW has done it.
My studio pulled it off.
So has Epic.

At some point, you have to remove the blinkers and look between the lines at what's not being said. If it's excuse-making to cover up the lack of portability in your engine, so be it. But when other studios can get the job done, those words ring hollow.

Sony's architecture may be more difficult to work with in comparison to the 360 and PC, but it has provided a wonderful litmus test in separating the wheat from the chaff when it comes to coding.

No excuses.

Woohoo!

acm2000 said:

Im not kidding either, although I did notice a graphical different when I got outside the caves its very dark in the caves, kinda hard to notice a difference ;)

I've not bought one third party PS3 game yet (I have R:FOM, F1, Warhawk, U:DF and R&C) and while I doubt this will be my first, I still preferred the caves on PS3.

I played the PS3 demo and thought it was fun for the most part, but I dont know if I will pick it up or not, I still need to make that choice.

I liked using the alt fire on the shotgun to lure some dinos into a pile before chuckign a grenade and running down with a knife to gut them. In general the basic shooting mechanics are kind of average.

also...DEVS, PLEASE INCLUDE THE OPTION TO SWITCH R2/R1 FUNCTIONS! PLEASE! Shooting with R2/L2 is so awkward on the Ps3.

is this a quote from bishoptl? If so it doesn't really show in the demo...

Indeed, it's why i was sort of looking forward to the PS3 version.
I'm just wondering if it's and earler build of the game...stranger things have happened.

Busty

Banned
TheDuce22 said:
Its not like this thing is gonna sell on PS3 anyway.

Because.......?

fizzelopeguss said:

*sharp intake of breath*

To play Devil's Advocate. It could be simply a case of time and resources over any sort of technical short falls on the behalf of Propaganda.

Perhaps when Bish made the comment, it really was their intent to have them looking and running identically. Things happen. I don't doubt that Bish is an integral part of the Propaganda team, but (IIRC) he isn't the one steering the ship, so to speak.

Also, not wanting to state the obvious, it's (I assume) still not the full retail version.......

I still live in hope that this will mark the end of the shoddy, UE3 (or otherwise) third party game that PS3 owners will have to endure.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Maybe the PS3 demo code is much earlier than final? I don't know.

Also anyone know when the OXM demo embargo is over so I can play this on my 360?

acm2000

steverulez said:
Im not kidding either, although I did notice a graphical different when I got outside the caves its very dark in the caves, kinda hard to notice a difference ;)

I've not bought one third party PS3 game yet (I have R:FOM, F1, Warhawk, U:DF and R&C) and while I doubt this will be my first, I still preferred the caves on PS3.

i could see in the caves perfectly fine here, adjust your settings ingame or something, theres nothing better about the ps3 port at all, its a sloppy peice of junk

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8687445&postcount=277

bishoptl said:
it's waaaaaaay too late but I'm up with a newborn and couldn't let this particular brand of idiocy rest unchallenged.

IW has done it.
My studio pulled it off.
So has Epic.

At some point, you have to remove the blinkers and look between the lines at what's not being said. If it's excuse-making to cover up the lack of portability in your engine, so be it. But when other studios can get the job done, those words ring hollow.

Sony's architecture may be more difficult to work with in comparison to the 360 and PC, but it has provided a wonderful litmus test in separating the wheat from the chaff when it comes to coding.

No excuses.

*salute*

I'm thinking the PS3 version's demo is simply an older build. There's just no way a game that looks like that gets past cert in 2008, the year of the PS3.

GrayFoxPL

Endless said:
Xbox 360 <-------> Playstation 3

2206633378_c653eba08c_o.jpg

Even if quality of the shots is terrible (Sorry dude, but wtf you have 360 output sharpness at 96 and ps3 at 4?), there's still pretty fucking big difference with foliage and shit.

Bish you liar...

I liked the demo(dino slaughter!) but lack of lightning (flare doesn't do anything even in the darkness. Lol) and overall "flatness" feel to the environments don't do anything to help the game.

Well, I'll get it for 360 or give it a rest(wanted free online). Meh.

madmook

Didn't get the 360 demo, only the PS3 version, so I didn't know about the difference in the graphics, but my main complaint was the obnoxious head-bobbing. Its too dramatic and jumpy, and going into crouch mode doubles the effect. I started to feel a headache comin' on, and quit. I only got to when the soldiers were being dropped in.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Mojovonio said:
This is truly awesome.

Bish assured everyone both would be exactly the same, then this happens.
You do realize that the demo was put together months before optimizations on the finished product, right? Like it or not, there are going to be differences in multiplatform titles, and getting an equivalent-playing UE3 game up and running on the PS3 takes a lot of effort.

AdmiralViscen said:
Will the PS3 version play on 40GB PS3s?
Ooh, that's a paddlin'.

Endless said:
Xbox 360 <-------> Playstation 3
Wow, that's really unacceptable- the differences are startling.

bishoptl said:
You do realize that the demo was put together months before optimizations on the finished product, right? Like it or not, there are going to be differences in multiplatform titles, and getting an equivalent-playing UE3 game up and running on the PS3 takes a lot of effort.
So you're just going to not take that extra, necessary time?

Edit: Wow @ Admiral's banning...

2real4tv

I also downloaded the ps3 version and was surprise @ how the graphics look...haven't tried the x360 verison yet is it available in NA yet?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
UncleGuito said:
Wow, that's really unacceptable- the differences are startling.

So you're just going to not take that extra time that's necessary?
Save your crocodile tears, friend - you troll all things PS3 since joining the forum and now you're Sony's champion? Don't waste my time.

Haunted

bishoptl said:
and getting an equivalent-playing UE3 game up and running on the PS3 takes a lot of effort.
A lot of extra effort for the version that's very likely to sell less. It's a tough job. :/

edit: Just for the record - if I buy one it'll be the PC version, so work hard on that as well, please! :D

bishoptl said:

Thanks for the clarification bishoptl.

Xater

bishoptl said:

So you can confirm that this is what the diffrence in the final product will be like or will it be better?

It's a serious question, I wanted to buy the game. I like me some new shooter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom