• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turok steam launch trailer

Grief.exe

options video for res and window mode and border etc

options graphics for graphics like aa shadows bloom etc.

options game play for crosshair disable start up videos and death videos and remove or add fog. and other lil tweaks.

I love Night Dive because it's not just money for them, but it's obviously a work of love.

They aren't just running the existing game in a wrapper, but actually porting to a new engine, adding new effects (god rays, water reflections, etc), incorporating Steam workshop, and even adding new areas when the old ones weren't cutting it.

I don't even have a config file. I'm starting to believe that the GOG version is just broken -.- Anyone else chose them over Steam?

Something didn't install correctly. I would suggest redownloading and starting over.

Look forward to revisiting this. Some good memories, always thought it was a game of its time, but curious how it holds up with some renovations.

Salbug

Dude, props to Night Dive for bringing this to Steam. I like how there's an option to reduce the draw distance if you want to play it all old school like.
C3FE95D671758333BBF0D71BC51F482FA8108CA4

Bl@de

Working now (redownloaded with GOG Downloader, german installer).

Wow, didn't remember that Turok was this fast. Feels like driving a car^^ Totally different from modern shooters. But I guess every shooter was like that in the 90s so I didn't remember anything special :D

Finished the first level. Ahh the memories.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Please please please do Rage Wars. I will hand over my entire bank account for Rage Wars with online multiplayer.

I was obsessed with getting all the badges in that game. That's gotta be my earliest recollection of anything approaching achievements. Pretty ahead of its time.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Please please please do Rage Wars. I will hand over my entire bank account for Rage Wars with online multiplayer.

like i said from what ive heard, plan is

turok gets steam workshop with modding etc

turok 2 comes out early next year full multiplayer

and theres been teases of turok rage wars coming too

and theres also going to be a new turok

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Man you move so fast and jump so high in this game!!! I had to turn the sensitivity way down. And the blat blat of two pistol shots takin out any of the human enemies, feels so good.

Gettin some crazy diagonal tearing tho, and after messing with settings to make it not-windowed it ended up rendering at like 4x the size of my screen and I couldn't fix it, had to reinstall. It's fine now, but I dare not try to change the settings again, just gonna have to live with the Windows taskbar down there on top of the game. Runnin on Surface Book at 2000x3000, high DPI may be contributing to weirdness.

abracadaver

This game is still awesome. Just played the first 2 levels. If you like oldschool gameplay buy Turok now!

The platforming is pretty easy so far but why are the enemies constantly respawning? I don't remember that at all

Bydobob

This game is still awesome. Just played the first 2 levels. If you like oldschool gameplay buy Turok now!

The platforming is pretty easy so far but why are the enemies constantly respawning? I don't remember that at all

Enemies always respawned. You don't hang around in Turok if you want to save ammo. I'm playing it now and the thing that strikes me most is how fast and intuitive it is. Much like the coins in Mario, those triangles give a good indication of where to go. Enemy bodies also handily stay around so you know which areas you've visited.

Just a word on performance, that FPS unlock is a must. It's tear city at 144Hz without. I'm relieved to say the game is still brilliant. Some memories are best left alone, but not this one.

Lafazar

Wow, this game has no right to be that much fun. I'm at Level 3, The Ancient City, now and while at first I thought the game would be too easy with mouse aiming and the far draw distance, the enemies really are relentless and have altered AI that takes the further draw distance into account.

I don't remember this game being THAT fast. The greater draw distance makes this almost a complete new game. The levels are FAR less confusing now (I barely even need the map now), and the enemy encounters are much more interesting, since you have to deal with close, far and very far threats all at the same time now. In some places you really are not allowed to stand still for even a second.

All in all an amazing port of a game that I feel only now gets to really shine. I can't possibly imagine anymore how I (or anyone) could have ever played this game on an N64 with a controller.

Very much looking forward to Turok 2 now. It's going to be really interesting how the slower paced gameplay of that one will be altered by he higher draw distance.

OK, after entering Level 3, I can confirm that this game is using the N64 version's soundtrack, which is perfectly fine by me since, IMHO, I felt that the N64's soundtrack was MUCH better than the PC's.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
OK, after entering Level 3, I can confirm that this game is using the N64 version's soundtrack, which is perfectly fine by me since, IMHO, I felt that the N64's soundtrack was MUCH better than the PC's.

the actual audio is bugged at moment there was a problem with final code where they didnt tell it to loop properly so for now the musice is on like 12 - 15 minute length instead of looping.

the actual audio is bugged at moment there was a problem with final code where they didnt tell it to loop properly so for now the musice is on like 12 - 15 minute length instead of looping.

I'd also like to report that the master output also likes to overdrive if there's like, stone pillars descending and the like. And another question; does this support 5.1 surround?

Grief.exe

Watching Queen of Hunting's footage, the game plays so much quicker than I thought. It's really more like an arena shooter.

Turok 2 multiplayer will be awesome.

Also, it's happening

uS48JgL.png

EDIT: 300 MB? What is this, 1997?

I've been loving the original Doom lately. So Turok won't disappoint? It holds up?

I personally think turok 1 is still really great, far from perfect, but definitely unique in the FPS sphere. It does not play like doom inn how you move and shoot really, but the levels are suitably labrynthian, require keys, and have nice secrets. They are managably complex though, it does not get too confusing if you pay attention.

I really really think, and I cannot mention it enough, people will be utterly shocked if they play Turok 2 again. Especially if they play it directly after they play 1. It sure did ramp up some of the elements introduced in Turok 1, but not necessarily in ways that make the game better IMO.

Esque7

The game plays so much better with proper dual analog, might have to try mouse aiming too. I can actually complete a no-cheat play through for once now!

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
It was good back in the day but nah I can't go back to playing games with basic graphics like that anymore.

not much different to wow which is played by millions, what about mine craft or those countless indie games ?

do you ignore all them games cos of blocky graphics etc ?

bounchfx

just saw the price.. that's some greedy shit. I'm sure it will come down sooner vs later but I expected 10 at most. I do love me some turok though. 2 moreso.

just saw the price.. that's some greedy shit. I'm sure it will come down sooner vs later but I expected 10 at most. I do love me some turok though. 2 moreso.

It's on the high side but I feel like 15 would have been the right price to make me drop my money. Who knows how difficult this port was for the team. maybe they need the money?

I don't know if I would call this release greedy, it seems like a lot of technical work went into this release. If this is like Kaiser's other releases then it is basically a full reverse engineering of the game into a custom engine. As far as "definitive editions" go, this would definitely be one. I guess the question is if you think TUROK is worth 20 dollars... and I don't really remember thinking too highly of it. I would probably grab that Powerslave game he was working on for 20 dollars but for this I think I will wait for a price drop.

I do hope to see more efforts like this though.

Top Bottom