• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV GAF: What are you watching?

Kadayi

Banned
Seems like we're missing a dedicated TV thread and with streaming becoming ever more prevalent with the series drop versus the weekly episode feed I think it's hard to see much need for series-specific threads versus a generalised one. Ultimately threads of this nature live or die based on contributions, so please if you want it to thrive, take the time and add posts. If there's a show you like and think others might enjoy, make a post (just keep spoilers hidden).

Anyway. Season 2 of Succession just kicked off this Sunday

A welcome return of the Roy family in all their dysfunctional glory (who as majority owners in a media conglomerate bear some striking similarities to a certain Murdoch Family 🤔 ). If you haven't jumped on board I highly recommend it, if nothing more than to marvel at the unrelenting savagery of the truly rich and powerful to everyone and each other in the blackest of comedies. Written by Jesse Armstrong one of the creators of 'In the thick of it'.

I absolutely adore this show. I think it's one of the best things HBO has released in recent years, in large part because is it just so outright brutal in terms of family dynamics, with all four siblings beholden to their tyrannical father whose presence overshadows their lives vying for attention, recognition and validation. I also like it because albeit there's an air of vulgarity to the sheer wealth of these people, but not in the manner of the wolf of Wallstreet in terms of showiness, versus just the acceptance of certain givens. As one character explains to a new member to the fold: -

Look, here’s the thing about being rich, It’s fucking great. It’s like being a superhero, only better. You get to do what you want, the authorities can’t really touch you, you get to wear a costume, but it’s designed by Armani, and it doesn’t make you look like a prick.

Also upcoming on the 16th of the month we have season 2 of David Fincher's Mindhunter landing, which looks to build on quality work of the first season to continue telling the tale of the growth of the fledgeling FBI profiling team and their ongoing attempts to understand the mindset of serial killers through interviews and analysis

Looks like we are getting Manson, and more of everyone favourite the Co-Ed killer, Ed Kemper.

J-Roderton

Started GLOW yesterday with my wife. It seems pretty good. Only a few episodes in. I like wrestling, so I'm guessing it will continue to be about that. ha

I can't wait for season 2 of Mindhunter. I am currently watching Wu Assassins but I just started it so I can't give any feedback on it quite yet.

I just finished The Boys on Prime and it was great imo. I am not familiar with the comic so I didn't have any preconceived notions of what to expect.

Looks like my next prime show will be Jack Ryan. Its been on my list for a while but as a huge Office fan it can be tough seeing Jim in other roles. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Al Abaster

I tossed my television into the alley from a third-story apartment almost 30 years ago. I haven't watched television since. I can't even be in the same room as a television, because everything is so repulsive it drives me out. Television is comically bad, it was bad when I threw mine out and it has gotten far worse.

I guess TV watchers must be mentally acclimated to utter, irredeemable garbage. I can't imagine why anyone wastes their time on television.

CSmath22

Banned
I tossed my television into the alley from a third-story apartment almost 30 years ago. I haven't watched television since. I can't even be in the same room as a television, because everything is so repulsive it drives me out. Television is comically bad, it was bad when I threw mine out and it has gotten far worse.

I guess TV watchers must be mentally acclimated to utter, irredeemable garbage. I can't imagine why anyone wastes their time on television.

Boredom.

Kadayi

Banned

As you don't watch it how would you know? 🤔

You might want to familiarise yourself with the Site Rules at this juncture if you want to stick around Edgelord. Management tends to take a dim view of 'you guys are tards for liking X' style posts tbh.

If you're not into TV, don't post.

Last edited:

Making a statement like this on a videogame forum says a lot more about you than "tv watchers". Maybe you should spend some time looking in a mirror and reflecting.

I can't even be in the same room as a television, because everything is so repulsive it drives me out.

This might actually be treatable, I would bring this up with your therapist during your next session. Exposure therapy can work wonders from what I hear.

giphy.gif

Quasicat

Started season 1 of Silicon Valley again last night. This will be he fourth time watching it from beginning to end. It’s not a bad marathon since there are only 10 episodes max per season. I know they are doing another season, eventually, but I like how it all comes together at the end.

I really need to finish my collection with TMNT 2012. I have half of the episodes and I really want to go through it next.

Finished up Titans, which was enjoyable. Watching Doom Patrol, Perpetual Grace Ltd., Animal Kingdom (season 4) and am catching up on Chernobyl. I am pleasantly surprised at how the current DC shows are beating the other shit out there.

Last edited:

Pallas

YoLW1Rj.png

Stranger Things... I’ve only seen season 1 back when it first came out, now I’m re-watching it for preparations of season 2-3.

And ...

WJgKNPi.jpg

Code Geass: Lelouch of the rebellion + R2

which I just finished up, but I figured it was worth mentioning it. It’s a pretty decent but can be at times a very confusing anime with so many damn twists and turns.

joombo

Banned
Finished Glow S3.
Still a good show, but my enjoyment is going down a little each season. I watched S1 two or three times, but doubt I'll ever watch S2 or S3 again. Will definitely tune in if a 4th gets made, though.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Been watching through Star Trek: TNG with my wife, 1 or 2 episodes a night. Nearly done with Season 3. Next is DS9 (which she hasn't watched) and after that we'll watch Voyager (which is her fav; I can tolerate it).

Prison Mike

Banned

Yet you wasted your time replying on a thread about television haha

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
Been watching through Star Trek: TNG with my wife, 1 or 2 episodes a night. Nearly done with Season 3. Next is DS9 (which she hasn't watched) and after that we'll watch Voyager (which is her fav; I can tolerate it).
I literally did the same thing with my wife about 10 years ago, might be time to give it a go again I miss a regular Star Trek Series.

But right now Im on season 4 of Justified

Last edited:

TacosNSalsa

Power's last season just started , so there's that . When that's done not sure where to go next. Maybe give American Gods another go and really dig into Westworld for real this time . Or just rewatch the wire till fall .

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
one-punch-man-banner.jpg

One Punch Man season 2, first season was vintage fighting anime, Saitama is at his best with huge build up and not getting overshadowed by MASSIVE enemies lol.
Netflix-Banner.jpg

Stranger Things season 1, high expectations for this show, people talk about it like it's the best but a lot of shows get that treatment. So far I don't feel like I'm being robbed of my time.

Kadayi

Banned
Succession Season 2

Goddamn it. Season 1 was great, but Season 2 has just been raising the bar with every episode.

Episode 2: -

When Kendall guts Vaulter, holy shit I did not see that coming, Ice cold

Episode 3: -

The whole dinner scene at the hunting ledge was absolute nightmare fuel with 'Boar on the floor', plus when a beaten down Tom comes back only to have Shiv ask him whether he really wants to know about her weekend......brutal as fuck'

Episode 4: -

Top performance by Jeremy Strong towards the end. I know you shouldn't really feel sympathy for these characters (though Greg and Gerri are salvageable) but seeing a man that broken is tough to watch. Also, I loved Toms open admiration for Greg when he reveals that he had the dirt on the cruise stuff, that reaction was so unexpected. I think the show excels when it comes to these about faces that add a bit more dimension to the characters beyond the predictable. Also, the Roman/Gerri phone scene was fucking hilarious. There were definite hints of something in episode 3, but this has taken matters to a new level. Very interested to see how that plays out over the rest of the season, especially when Logan finds out.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I finished The Society and now wish there were more to watch.

I’m now starting S3 of 13 Reasons Why.
Not liking the new girl.

Stimpak

I try to watch TV (especially since that’s how my partner likes to relax), but it more often than not bores me to tears.

Last show I was really into was Altered Carbon on Netflix.

Season 2 is coming but I’m cautiously optimistic because it’s Netflix

Any recent sci-fi show recommendations that elude me, TVGaf?

MayauMiao

I don't watch serialized TV shows anymore. Never even subscribe to Netflix or even watched a single episode of popular shows like Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, or any TV shows from CW. I watch random stuff on youtube from video game related videos, DIY home improvements (not HGTV crap), electronic repairs, cooking shows, and even some travelling videos.

bitbydeath

13 Reasons Why S3. About 10 episodes in now. Is refreshing to see a show that shows the dangers of feminism and tackle other issues that aren’t talked about in todays climate.

Top Bottom