• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

TV shows in the UK will now have to meet diversity quotas on race, gender, sexuality and more to be eligible for BAFTA awards

Boss Mog

Dec 12, 2013

The BAFTA awards are the UK equivalent of the Oscars and Emmys. Apparently this was already in place for films and now they're extending it to TV shows. It doesn't only apply to the cast, but to the creative team and crew as well. I think it's only a matter of time before this backwards thinking makes it across the pond sadly. Obviously some creators won't give a shit about awards, but winning them generally does boost sales. But in the future I can definitely see these requirements apply not just to being eligible for awards, but being able to release their films or TV shows at all. People won't be able to make the shows they want or tell the stories they want. It will no longer be art.

This is one of the reasons why I watch a lot of Korean movies and TV shows nowadays. No diversity there whatsoever except if they travel to another country. And the female leads are generally smoking hot which is becoming rarer in Western TV shows. And, at least for now, they can still win awards as "Parasite" won the prestigious Palme d'Or at Cannes this year. Apparently It's releasing in 2 days in US theaters, I can't recommend this film enough, it's that good.

OptimusApex

Formerly 'AfricanKing' ... purposely obtuse
Jul 16, 2017
Of course you do. You're black and insecure. If blacks aren't in every piece of media you'll get upset and probably cry racism.
They dont actually have to have a diverse range of actors or crew members they can opt for other qualifiers.

Try educating yourself abit

Oct 26, 2018
And to think, employers have been crazy in all of history for trying to hire people based on good skills at reasonable wages the cpmpany can afford.

Everyone: Get a good read at Boss' link above.

With all the requirements listed, you'd think they could at least add in something about qualifications in skill set for getting hired.

On the plus side, at least you don't get this kind of thing in PROFESSIONAL kinds of careers. At least I don't see it. Just imagine if bridges, skyscrapers, and space shuttles had to be built on "diversity equality" instead of something crazy called....... engineering qualifications.

Reactions: DocONally
Oct 26, 2018
You seem abit slow, try reading the article dumbass.

They dont actually have to have a diverse range of actors or crew members they can opt for other qualifiers.

Ya, and in order to qualify, they have to pigeon hole themselves by picking from a laundry list of hiring and training numbnuts based not on skill, but demographics.

This is common for other industries too.

Canadian government requires similar kinds of demographic/employment ratios in order to get big contracts. The employer pool traits measured have nothing to do with qualifications, degrees, experience or certifications..... which you would think is needed to help fulfill large government contracts. But instead are things like race quotas and helping contribute to female entrepreneurship which has nothing to do with the contract.

But hey, like all things in life, got to dumb things down to the lowest common denominator.

That's the amazing thing about discrimination. Governments and left wing minded companies are supposed to be supporters of fair play, yet implement archaic laws of segregation. Hiring based on race or gender, or school admissions based on similar traits is the kind of thing you'd expect from KKK happy southern states decades ago. And here we are in 2019 adding in stupid policies like this back into modern day.

On the other hand, your typical mom and pop shop or billion dollar corporation not held to policies like these, will hire based on skill in hopes they hire good people who are qualified at a fair wage that can be afforded to be paid.

In theory, you'd think it would be other way around..... gov/liberal places say hire based on freedom and skills, while greedy corporations and small businesses would be all snobby bums. But surprisingly, it's the opposite.

Last edited:

brap

Jan 9, 2018
You seem abit slow, try reading the article dumbass.

"other qualifiers"
So in other words they can't make what the fuck they want but there's slightly more wiggle room in which minorites they have to choose. Amazing.

OptimusApex

Jul 16, 2017
Ya, and in order to qualify, they have to pigeon hole themselves by picking from a laundry list of hiring and training numbnuts based not on skill, but demographics.

This is common for other industries too.

Canadian government requires similar kinds of demographic/employment ratios in order to get big contracts. The employer pool traits measured have nothing to do with qualifications, degrees, experience or certifications..... which you would think is needed to help fulfill large government contracts. But instead are things like race quotas and helping contribute to female entrepreneurship which has nothing to do with the contract.

But hey, like all things in life, got to dumb things down to the lowest common denominator.
You've most likely misinterpreted it. This does not mean that a position like Director of Art will go to a non qualified person.. it means that their crew staff will need to be a varied mix of people from all skill backgrounds. Section C actually covered it pretty well.

And the representation quotas fall in line with the UK population.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
You've most likely misinterpreted it. This does not mean that a position like Director of Art will go to a non qualified person.. it means that their crew staff will need to be a varied mix of people from all skill backgrounds. Section C actually covered it pretty well.

Oh yeah, we know how the UK is all about having everyone fall in line, citizen.

OptimusApex

Jul 16, 2017
"other qualifiers"
So in other words they can't make what the fuck they want but there's slightly more wiggle room in which minorites they have to choose. Amazing.
They dont have to choose a minority.. I dont think your actually reading any of the content OP posted are you.

A2 Other characters / contributors / presenters / voice artists / competitors
The total of your secondary or more minor on-screen individuals meet one, or more, of the following targets:

• A 50-50 gender balance
  • 20% belonging to an under-represented ethnic group
  • 10% LGBTQ+
  • 7% D/deaf and disabled
  • Significant amount of contributors or competitors resident in the UK outside of London and the South East of England
  • Significant amount of contributors or competitors are from a lower socioeconomic background
If you dont want a diverse cast you can pick this option

• Significant amount of contributors or competitors resident in the UK outside of London and the South East of England
Or just go with a 50/50 gender split.

Oct 26, 2018

Policies like this mean if there's a higher qualified person that is not part of the target numbnutting, and a qualified, but lesser qualified numbnut applying, the company might go with the second person for sake of satisfying metrics.

The company doesn't hire for the best, but hires to appease a diversity metric and hopes the person chosen is good enough.

But hey, I'm not in media. I'm in business. Most support roles like tech and finance are done by minorities, but higher level jobs and sales are more skewed to white people. That's the way it goes. Good communication skills goes a long way.

From personal experience, the reason why more white people seem to achieve higher jobs at the office is because they communicate better. And also, more white people seem ballsier to do jobs like sales and marketing that are the kinds of jobs that can really burn people out with pressure. The people sitting at the office doing support roles seem more minority focused.

Although, one support kind of department that still seems white is supply chain/demand planning. Not sure why, but that kind of career seems most white people whether it's a low level planner or a director.

As for achieving CEO level jobs, almost every company is the same:

- Founder (if it's a business built from the ground up and not a 100 year old company)
- Background in sales or marketing (lots of white people), and broad based finance
- You will almost never see a CEO rise up the ranks coming from departments like supply chain, IT, warehouse/shipping, accounting, legal dept, HR dept

Last edited:

OptimusApex

Jul 16, 2017
Policies like this mean if there's a higher qualified person that is not part of the target numbnutting, and a qualified, but lesser qualified numbnut applying, the company might go with the second person for sake of satisfying metrics.

The company doesn't hire for the best, but hires to appease a diversity metric and hopes the person chosen is good enough.

But hey, I'm not in media. I'm in business. Most support roles like tech and finance are done by minorities, but higher level jobs and sales are more skewed to white people. That's the way it goes. Good communication skills goes a long way.
Agree to disagree not gonna bite on the last comment you made so whatever

Oct 26, 2018
Oh yeah, we know how the UK is all about having everyone fall in line, citizen.
Never knew UK population was 7% deaf.
They dont have to choose a minority.. I dont think your actually reading any of the content OP posted are you.

If you dont want a diverse cast you can pick this option

Or just go with a 50/50 gender split.
We all get the policy and choice selections to help undeserved people get a job to help the company get BAFTA qualifications.

MetalAlien

Formerly 'MetalAlien'
Mar 6, 2005
They can.... these are not laws you have to abide by you know.
They can do what they want no matter how stupid or pointless it is. They fucking hilarious thing in this thread if your totally unsurprising approval.

Oct 26, 2018
They can.... these are not laws you have to abide by you know.
No doubt it's optional.

But as I said, it's policies for numbnuts.

Instead of pressuring companies with hiring practices to help people land a job, another option they can do is promote people getting skills, education, and qualifications to land media jobs.

This goes for many things in life.

You can be a parent that tries to help their kid with advice how to score good grades, a good job, or how to make the football team by practicing. Or you can be the parent with the lazy kid who complains companies should hire their kid over another "just because", and to the coach why their kid should make the team and be on the starting roster, even though there's other kids who are better.

In life, got to show some balls and earn things on your own, and promote people get better. Not just get a gimme.

OptimusApex

Jul 16, 2017
No doubt it's optional.

But as I said, it's policies for numbnuts.

Instead of pressuring companies with hiring practices to help people land a job, another option they can do is promote people getting skills, education
They already do this. I feel like you are making a wide sum of assumptions without looking into what the BFI actually does

Oct 26, 2018
They already do this. I feel like you are making a wide sum of assumptions without looking into what the BFI actually does
If they do that, then why bother adding BAFTA requirements? Just let people be their own person looking for a job, and let companies hire who they want.

Will all shake out fine as companies look to hire good employees. No business out there wants to hire unqualified workers.

OptimusApex

Jul 16, 2017
If they do that, then why bother adding BAFTA requirements? Just let people be their own person looking for a job, and let companies hire who they want.

Will all shake out fine as companies look to hire good employees. No business out there wants to hire unqualified workers.
If you want BFI funding then you have to follow their requirements, Diversity amongst other aspects are now part of that. These have been in place since 2014 and no ones has batted an eye.

The Baftas aswell , they chose to use the BFI requirements for their own reward shows. You dont have to follow them if you dont indent on getting nominated.

• LOL
Reactions: Solomeena

Solomeena

Jan 8, 2018
I am slowly but steadily fearing more and more for humanity as the days and months and years go by. I mean, in order to be nominated for an award you have to fucking meet a fucking diversity quota. Why can't we just fucking make shit with people who are the most skilled and qualified at something? It is people like AfricanKing aka OptimusApex OptimusApex that make me wish that the internet was burned to the ground so we massively slow down this retarded notion of diversity quota's because mah feelings or some shit.

Blood Borne

Oct 30, 2017
I genuinely can’t believe that in these modern times, we still have race based quotas. Absolutely disgusting.

it’s so infuriating. I don’t want people to think I got a job just because of my race, I want it to be because of my skill and talent. Policies such as this are condescending and undermines one’s ability and credibility.

To OP: I wasn’t aware of the movie Parasite, it looks good. Been a fan of Kang-ho Song, ever since I watched Memories of Murder. I’ll be sure to check it out. Thanks.

Solomeena

Jan 8, 2018
If you want BFI funding then you have to follow their requirements, Diversity amongst other aspects are now part of that. These have been in place since 2014 and no ones has batted an eye.

The Baftas aswell , they chose to use the BFI requirements for their own reward shows. You dont have to follow them if you dont indent on getting nominated.
It's the same SJW logic again and again and again and again and again and again.... YOU DONT HAVE TO FOLLOW, YOU DONT HAVE TO BE ON TWITTER, YOU DONT HAVE THE RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH OR FREE THINK, YOU DONT NEED GUNS, i could go on and on .

Last edited:
Reactions: autoduelist

Blood Borne

Oct 30, 2017
I am slowly but steadily fearing more and more for humanity as the days and months and years go by. I mean, in order to be nominated for an award you have to fucking meet a fucking diversity quota. Why can't we just fucking make shit with people who are the most skilled and qualified at something? It is people like AfricanKing aka OptimusApex OptimusApex that make me wish that the internet was burned to the ground so we massively slow down this retarded notion of diversity quota's because mah feelings or some shit.
Such a shame that OptimusApex OptimusApex has fallen for white leftists bullshit. He doesn’t see how insulting, condescending and racist it is to get hired because of his race. Black victimhood and white guilt have a symbiotic relationship.

Reactions: WindomURL

OptimusApex

Jul 16, 2017
It's the same SJW logic again and again and again and again and again and again.... YOU DONT HAVE TO FOLLOW, YOU DONT HAVE TO BE ON TWITTER, YOU DONT HAVE THE RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH OR FREE THINK.
Stop crying over something you clearly dont understand. If I go to the bank and ask for a Loan I'm going to need to abide by their requirements and their TOS whatever that may be.

The same applies to the BFI if you want their money then your film will need to follow their requirements. It's not a hard thing to comprehend.

Oct 26, 2018
It's because some people will inherently be lazy fucks forever, where the only way to get a decent job is to have governments or companies implement handout policies.

The thinking is more qualified people will likely find something on their own, and for the lesser skilled people getting a gimme, if you give them a job, it should "in theory" decrease the chances of them being a perpetual loser in life. So "in theory again" it should help their livelihood, so their future family tree should have firmer ground to stand on. So "in theory again x3", if you can get enough people not being a numbnut in a generation or two, you can get rid of these diversity policies because everyone should be able to compete on their own two feet.

Good luck with that.

It's like mowing the lawn or shoveling snow. Some people in the neighbourhood (like me) do it regularly and keep a normal tidy yard and driveway. But some people don't give a shit and have grass literally 2 ft tall on their front yard (a house around the corner from me does that.... I don't even think he mows it once. I think he just lets it die when it gets cold).

Some people are just born losers.

Lucky for taxpayers, the government doesn't have free lawnmowing service for tards.

Last edited:

OptimusApex

Jul 16, 2017
Such a shame that OptimusApex OptimusApex has fallen for white leftists bullshit. He doesn’t see how insulting, condescending and racist it is to get hired because of his race. Black victimhood and white guilt have a symbiotic relationship.
You've seen the word Diversity and ran with it assuming it's only about race. When in reality it's about representation from Race and Gender to filming locations and Apprenticeships.

The race factor can be ignored and you still meet the requirements, but I dont expect you to read Into it that much.

MetalAlien

Formerly 'MetalAlien'
Mar 6, 2005
You've seen the word Diversity and ran with it assuming it's only about race. When in reality it's about representation from Race and Gender to filming locations and Apprenticeships.

The race factor can be ignored and you still meet the requirements, but I dont expect you to read Into it that much.
When the 15 mile wide spaceship hovers over the city powering up it's death laser most people run for the hills or evacuate the city. Not you or posters like Nobody_Important Nobody_Important .

Congrats, this is you.

Blood Borne

Oct 30, 2017

Race only or Race/Gender, a distinction without a difference.

Solomeena

Jan 8, 2018
I am just going to give up on humans. I am going to go all UnaBomber and build or tow a small one room shack into the middle of no where and hide from all humans. Of course i need to stress that i won't bomb people like the UnaBomber. I am just going to build a one room shack and live out the rest of my life hiding from humans because SJW's scare me. We are on a path to some seriously fucked up Dystopian shit like 1984 or Equilibrium thanks to these ultra left wing clowns screeching through their Twitter megaphone and idiots are actually listening to this small dipshit group of lunatics.

Dec 15, 2011
The only people that benefit this are identity obsessed ideologues.

Diversity quotas are discrimination quotas. And there is no such thing as positive discrimination.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: MetalAlien

Solomeena

Jan 8, 2018
Stop crying over something you clearly dont understand. If I go to the bank and ask for a Loan I'm going to need to abide by their requirements and their TOS whatever that may be.

The same applies to the BFI if you want their money then your film will need to follow their requirements. It's not a hard thing to comprehend.
Sorry if i like to think critically, i know you left wing folks love a good Nazi march in unison without any free think or unique thoughts.

• Thoughtful

OptimusApex

Jul 16, 2017
Sorry if i like to think critically, i know you left wing folks love a good Nazi march in unison without any free think or unique thoughts.
No one is stopping you from critically thinking from your wooden shack in the middle of the woods. Funny you mention free think when you only go after posters that have a different view from you.

• Fire
Reactions: Nobody_Important
Oct 26, 2018
Who knew.

I thought the left was all about freedom of thought, being your own person, respecting people's opinions, while not being oppressive like a stodgy suit and tie right winger?

Turns out they are like that Borg chick in that old Star Trek show. On one hand tries to learn to be independent, but still has a collective thought going back to a giant cube of other cyborgs. Make up your mind. Be your own man of liberty, or be a stodgy right winger clamping down. lol

I think what happened is people who are on the hippy, care free, left wing side actually realize getting a decent job and trying to earn a buck is harder to do now. Not like the old days where mom and dad making $30,000 could somehow buy a house, own a wood grain station wagon and have enough money to take the kids camping and Disney World.

They realized things are expensive now and scoring a high paying job to cover it is out of scope. So life is passing them by. So lefties have decided to whine and moan for freebies.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

Solomeena

Jan 8, 2018
No one is stopping you from critically thinking from your wooden shack in the middle of the woods. Funny you mention free think when you only go after posters that have a different view from you.
Well, i wouldn't respond to you as much if your view was not radical as fuck and your view is going to cause this world of ours to go down a very dark path so you will forgive me for replying to you and your other brothers when your thoughts and actions will cause great harm in one form or many forms.

And let's be honest, of course you are trying to stop me and others from thinking critically i mean you are censoring or deplatforming as you put it those who go against your agenda.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: OptimusApex

OptimusApex

Jul 16, 2017
Well, i wouldn't respond to you as much if your view was not radical as fuck and your view is going to cause this world of ours to go down a very dark path so you will forgive me for replying to you and your other brothers when your thoughts and actions will cause great harm in one form or many forms.

And let's be honest, of course you are trying to stop me and others from thinking critically i mean you are censoring or deplatforming as you put it those who go against your agenda.
Oh stop fucking fear mongering and go outside.

And deplatforming works look at Milo and Spencer. They can always join Thinkspot and Gab

Dec 15, 2011
Authoritarian tactics work.
Assuming you're for authoritarian tactics.
And everyone is for authoritarian tactics.
Because those that aren't are being silenced.

:unsure:.. .. ..:messenger_grimmacing_

Last edited:
  • Fire