• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

TV shows in the UK will now have to meet diversity quotas on race, gender, sexuality and more to be eligible for BAFTA awards

Jan 9, 2018
The casting decisions should serve the story told, nothing else. If it's set in a certain place and time, nothing is more absurd and jarring than to include actors who aren't compatible with that setting, unless you're specifically going for a revisionist vibe which only works for a narrow set of genres.

And secondly, it should all serve the vision of one artist as much as possible... screw this concept of filmmaking as some kind of committee work. If you wrote the script imaging a couple with a certain look, no one has a damn thing to say about it, they can take or leave your film.

Solomeena

Jan 8, 2018
Oh stop fucking fear mongering and go outside.

And deplatforming works look at Milo and Spencer. They can always join Thinkspot and Gab
Stop the bullshit, seriously. "Deplatforming" is your little mouthy cancerous groups code word for CENSORSHIP nothing more nothing less. You try to avoid it at all costs because that is what you are actually doing. Censoring people who share a different opinion from you and you don't like that, you don't like people who disagree with your campaign of hatred and lunacy.

OptimusApex

Formerly 'AfricanKing' ... purposely obtuse
Jul 16, 2017
Stop the bullshit, seriously. "Deplatforming" is your little mouthy cancerous groups code word for CENSORSHIP nothing more nothing less. You try to avoid it at all costs because that is what you are actually doing. Censoring people who share a different opinion from you and you don't like that, you don't like people who disagree with your campaign of hatred and lunacy.
Far from censorship, they are still free to find alternative platforms to spread hate and intolerance nothing stopping then there. If that new platform has TOS thatvthey breach then thats their own fault, tough shit.

Allot of bullshit assumptions in your post. The rest of it is just irrelevant.

Dec 15, 2011
"Unless.."

Is the equivalant of "I'm not a dictator that wants to silence anyone that doesn't accept my views, but..."

You don't get to score virtue points for wholesome goodness if your wholesome goodness is conditional instead of wholesome.
Injecting victimhood narrative into it adds further disingenuity to it because you're disguising your self-serving belief as altruism.

It's like the policy this topic is based on: At surface level it seems benign and positive. Apply a modicum of critical thinking and it quickly shows itself to be the opposite.

Last edited:

DocONally

Gold Member
Oct 21, 2014
"7% D/deaf and disabled" according to the BFI, well one category anyway, I guess you could opt for a different representation. 7% deafness representation. 7%.

How the hell do you measure this? How is this relevant? Isn't this just hardline communism? WTF BFI? So if make myself deaf by listening to too much metal, can I get a free job? Fuck this shit. (Not deaf people, obviously.)

This probably reads like I'm a raging dumbass gamer, but calmly, if the BFI best film awards are about representation and not quality, then there is no "best" film awards.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
"7% D/deaf and disabled" according to the BFI, well one category anyway, I guess you could opt for a different representation. 7% deafness representation. 7%.

How the hell do you measure this? How is this relevant? Isn't this just hardline communism? WTF BFI? So if make myself deaf by listening to too much metal, can I get a free job? Fuck this shit. (Not deaf people, obviously.)

This probably reads like I'm a raging dumbass gamer, but calmly, if the BFI best film awards are about representation and not quality, then there is no "best" film awards.
It's rather ableist to imply they can't earn their own roles via merit and skill.

Reactions: DocONally

DocONally

Gold Member
Oct 21, 2014
your view is going to cause this world of ours to go down a very dark path
The compassion on show by the far left is not real compassion. That's how I see it anyway. It's not a fake compassion, but it is also not real compassion. It doesn't lead out of suffering, but into it.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
So fucking tired of forced diversity.

I want to see a modern show cast with only straight WASPs, just so that it’s unique.

I don’t think they could cast Game of Thrones in 2019 without making Jon Snow black and Dany an Asian trans man.

Breakage

Mar 3, 2014
This sort of thing won't be surprising to anyone who regularly watches British television. The artificiality of it or that it isn't an accurate reflection of reality does not seem to bother the producers.
British TV programmes (and advertising) have increasingly become vessels for “progressive” propaganda, particularly LGBT propaganda.
These days If you want to see something where almost everyone is white and straight, you have to watch a children's cartoon like Horrid Henry on CBBC.

The fascinating thing is when you see the staff credits roll on these shows with diverse casts, the vast majority of the names are white European names – once again demonstrating that white people themselves are at the forefront of the desire to make things less white and traditional. Only white people as a group seem to have this burning desire for diversity. I don't see, for example, Chinese or (south Asian) Indian creators desperately trying to make their shows less Chinese or less Indian.

Reactions: Greedings

michaelius

Jan 5, 2012
That why I don't get brexit - what's the point of leaving EU when UK is completly gone to the left even more extreme than visions of Timmermans and company ?