• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV shows similar to Mad Men?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought Mad Men Season 1 on DVD and currently really enjoying it. It's definitely of a much better quality than most other TV Shows I used to see. I've also enjoyed House quite a lot (been seeing it on and off). Anyone have in mind other TV shows I might enjoy? Even better if they're available on DVD...

Memles

Shows similar to Mad Men in terms of plotting include The Sopranos (which has a similarly bleak and character-driven outlook, although a bit more meandering from what I've read) and HBO's The Wire (which offers a similarly microcosmic view of American culture and society during a particular era, albeit a more modern one).

Those are two that are "similar to Mad Men" in terms of some more thematic or narrative levels. In terms of shows that, like Mad Men, are extremely good, you have your usual suspects: Lost if you have patience for more questions than answers, Battlestar Galactica if you enjoy Science Fiction and Philosophical Questions, and if you're looking for a comedy series I'm in a period of suggesting How I Met Your Mother, an extremely high quality "sitcom" that has a real heart to it.

As for your enjoyment of House, if you're looking for high quality procedurals you can check out Pushing Daisies on the quirky and whimsical end of things - the show is getting canceled, but it's a real joy to watch and the first season is both a) awesome and b) available on DVD.

Hope this helps.

It depends in what you like about Mad Men. If its the writing, characters and drama The Sopranos and The Wire are probably the best dramas out there.

Actually I more meant shows with really good writing and characters. It necessarily doesn't have to be about American history or a specific period. I think both Mad Men and House have outstanding writing which makes those shows both really good.

I'll check out The Wire and Pushing Daises. Sopranos I should also get into I guess, somehow I missed that. I've also heard good things about "The Shield".

Battlestar Galactica.. I do enjoy sci-fi, if it's not so cheesy. I guess I should try to see a few episodes and see for myself.

KingGondo

Banned
hooijdonk17 said:
Actually I more meant shows with really good writing and characters. It necessarily doesn't have to be about American history or a specific period. I think both Mad Men and House have outstanding writing which makes those shows both really good.

I'll check out The Wire and Pushing Daises. Sopranos I should also get into I guess, somehow I missed that. I've also heard good things about "The Shield".

Battlestar Galactica.. I do enjoy sci-fi, if it's not so cheesy. I guess I should try to see a few episodes and see for myself.
The Sopranos is most similar to Mad Men, IMO. Tony Soprano and Don Draper are parallel characters in many ways (self-destructive, womanizing, haunted past, etc.), but the supporting cast is much more colorful and entertaining (albeit less realistic) in The Sopranos. While bad things do happen in Mad Men, watching The Sopranos, especially toward the end, is like watching a really gruesome train wreck. Fantastic stuff.

The Wire is great (maybe the best show ever), but it's very different from Mad Men. If some street-level, unpredictable, intensely tragic human drama is up your alley, go for it!

And in spite of not being a big sci-fi fan in general, I quite enjoyed the first season of BSG. You can't really go wrong with any of these shows.

besada

Banned
Homicide: Life on the Streets

Five seasons of pure win and then two more seasons. From the people who brought you The Wire.

hooijdonk17 said:
Actually I more meant shows with really good writing and characters.
Just about every channel has at least one show that could be described this way. I think people are way too cynical about modern TV. We're not in the '90s sitcom era anymore. I don't even have the time every week to watch all of the shows that need watching. Some shows end up getting pushed back to watching the full season in one weekend after its over.

The Wire is the closest thing you'll get to Mad Men. It's strict serial drama with strong characters that reveal themselves slowly and subtly over the course of the show.

Dead Like Me has a fun sense of humor and has some nice introspective characters.

The Shield is probably the greatest action/cop show ever put on TV. The GAF thread for the final episode was hilarious. I think some people here really wanted to kill themselves in anguish over what happened to some of the characters.

Chojin

From what I heard Caprica of all shows is going to have this weird 50's motif. So I guess maybe it'll be like Mad Men. IN SPAAAAAAACE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom