• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows You've Watched Lately |OT| - 2021

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
20190722230130-thegem-blog-default.jpg

Since we don't really have an active spot to dump our general TV thoughts and reviews, this can be your new home for all things television!

Let us know what you've been watching lately, drop some thoughts and maybe give it a star rating out of five.

Rules:

- Respect other people's opinions obviously. Sadly, not everybody will like your favourite show. (Still, how can you not like Breaking Bad damn it!?)
- Talk about TV stuff. Doesn't have to be current or latest releases, anything is fine.
- Keep the thread spoiler free if you can. Spoiler tags are your best friend. I haven't seen many shows that have dropped, so I don't want to see too many spoilers. Thanks!
- If you could let us know where and how you watched it, it would be appreciated. There is many different services and ways to watch now, it can get confusing at times.

Credit to BadBurger BadBurger for the thread concept/layout. We have a movie thread, so a TV thread seems like a good idea.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I'll start this off:

The last show I watched was Behind Her Eyes

Entertaining six-part series. Great performances and a storyline that wraps up well. I would highly recommend it. It gets a solid ★★★★ from me. Not quite perfect, but pretty close in terms of personal enjoyment. I am still thinking about it a week later, that says something.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
I have like 7 shows I started and need to finish.

But right now focused on finishing “The newsroom” and Broad City.

The news room season 1 is great, but the way they change the characters personalities after episode 1 really kinda sucked. I was looking forward to how they are portrayed in the first episode. Season 2 seems a little boring now.

Broad city is ridiculous, work a holics but girls basically. I dunno how I never heard of this before. Hilarious.

ksdixon

After hunting it down episode by episode on obscure streaming sites, and having not seen it before not knowing if the episodes were numbered correctly -- let along it being one of those goofy shows with fuucked episode orders... It's a good thing both the misses and I like 'Till Death.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I'll start this off:

The last show I watched was Behind Her Eyes

Entertaining six-part series. Great performances and a storyline that wraps up well. I would highly recommend it. It gets a solid ★★★★ from me. Not quite perfect, but pretty close in terms of personal enjoyment. I am still thinking about it a week later, that says something.

This shows stars Bono of U2’s daughter.

I'm currently working my way through Haven, Bones, and Nikita. Really enjoying them, especially Bones.

Made it 1/2 way through the first episode of Scrubs. Hated it.

Monokrom

I'm watching the Lost Girl (2010) series on DVD (not available on blu-ray or streaming here in Sweden).
It's a show about the beautiful, charismatic and bi-sexual Bo, a supernatural being called succubus. She feed on sexual energy from humans, sometimes fatal.
In the series we get to know about all sorts of supernatural beings we only existed in fairytales. Warewolfes, vampires, norns, sirens, dwarfs, giants and more.
They call themselves Fae and you either belongs to Light Fae or Dark Fae, the two factions. Everything is hidden from the human world.
Bo is figuring out who she is and tries to take control over her powers while still being neutral from the two factions.
She also searching (with her sidekick Kenzi) for her real parents, she was adopted as a small child.

Good actors, interesting story-line and ok effects. A total of 5 seasons in total. It got a 7.7 on IMDB. And I can highly recommend it.

Cast:

Bo (succubus)
tumblr_mutz036ocx1s9zlluo1_500.gif

Kenzi (thief/human)

kenzi.gif

Dyson (police/werewolf)
tumblr_mt11yeIbeM1szs6xeo1_400.gif

Trick (bartender and more?)
BVZA.gif

Zoie (scientist/human)
tumblr_n3wvt4kIvM1siopf5o3_r1_250.gif

Hale (police/siren)
tumblr_n1ch0zSCl21s9i8beo1_500.gif

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I'm watching a UK comedy called Ghosts. About a couple that inherit a house full of ghosts and they are trying to turn it into a hotel. Entertaining comedy so far.

MastaKiiLA

Ragnarok Seasons 1 & 2 (Netflix)

Ragnarok Season 2 was good. Better than the first. It's definitely a slow-burn on the Thor story, in the form of a young adult fantasy drama. I've enjoyed both seasons, though they are incredibly short at 6 episodes a piece. It's a Norwegian TV show, so production values are not great, and the acting is what it is. I don't know any of the cast, but I can't imagine a country of Norway's population has a huge list of stars to pull from. If you know the Marvel movies centered around Thor, then you kinda know what this show is about. 2 brothers move with their mom to a small Norwegian town, built largely around a factory owned by 1 wealthy family. Upon arriving, things start to change for both the town and the brothers, as they discover secrets of their past, as well as their mother's, who was originally from that town.

Last edited:

Seraphym

Watched "Nobody" this morning, great fun and a slim 90 minutes.
You enjoyed John Wick and Taken, then this is a great watch.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I've watched the entire season of The Flight Attendant and while the first 2-3 episodes were reasonably good the rest dragged on and introduced many boring plots. Also didn't help that it moved away from comedy more towards drama. Overall I'd skip this one, not the quality I was expecting from (older) HBO.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I decided to check out Dexter, even though my prior experience was the final season after reading the first book. The pilot is outstanding, and the second episode keeps it rolling. No wonder people loved this show. Shame how it crashed and burned though.

MastaKiiLA

Ted Lasso

Jason Sudekis is great as the titular character, coaching a sport he knows nothing about. The acting is really good all-around. Especially surprising, given this is a comedy series. I never heard of this show until someone posted the gif of him dancing with the football team. I'm glad I looked it up after that. I'll be sure to tune in for season 2.

Lupin Part 2

They wrapped up the main arc that started in the first season. That was satisfying. I'm hoping there's more to come. This is the best role I've seen Omar Sy in. I'd like to see Hollywood give him more opportunities after this, instead of being some random sidekick character, which seems to have been the car up to now. I really enjoy these short-burst shows like this and Money Heist. They let the production team cram a lot of story into a handful of episodes, without overstaying their welcome. The downside is the long wait for a new installment. Tempo of releases should be quicker, but not if it compromises quality.

MastaKiiLA

Sweet Tooth

Nonso Anozie and Christian Convery are just the most adorable buddy pairing imaginable. A global pandemic wipes out most of the human race, at the same time that human-animal hybrids start being born. The world has devolved into chaos, but one hybrid boy, and one former football star set out on a journey to find the boy's mother. They encounter enemies and allies along the way. The season ends in a cliffhanger, but is so worth watching. This is a damn good series that I had my doubts about, going into it. However, the characters are just so damn likable, and the story is truly compelling. Will Forte showing some range, and the rest of the supporting cast all do a stellar job. I just hope there isn't a full year wait for the next season.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I am always late to the party with TV shows. I came across Taboo (2017 - present, FX, Hulu US). I saw it had Tom Hardy, figured why not. It is excellent. Only three episodes down but I can already tell I am going to binge this one over the course of the week to catch up.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Watched a couple of shows over the last few weeks, which were pretty damn good.

ODA9b9R.jpg

And
zP5VgxF.jpg

What a bastard Charles Sobhraj really was, they honestly just needed to hang him at the time. Utterly evil. The bloke who played him on the show though, brilliant actor.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Cobra Kai

Ralph Machio has zero gravitas.
Johnny Lawrence is fully re****ed.
The kids in the show are clearly written to appeal the middle school age kids.

I may have found media I despise more than Marvel movies. Why is this trash a hit?!

pain.jpg

Burger

north-water-colin-farrell-750x400.jpg

The North Water - Jack O'Connell and Colin Farrell.

The book was so good, and this is an adaptation but Colin Farrell in particular is intoxicating. Such a great performance.

MastaKiiLA

Brand New Cherry Flavor

Yooooooooooo! This is some crazy shit right here. Only halfway through the 8 episodes, and this is engrossing. Started it on a whim, because the trailer looked interesting. Then it pulled a Twin Peaks on me, and the next thing you know, it's 8am, and my gf and I have to force ourselves to bed. We would've marathoned the full thing if we'd started earlier. Young woman travels to LA to pitch her film, and gets caught up in a maze of sex, magic, and betrayal. I'm really enjoying this show. My only complaint might be that Rosa Salazar doesn't attempt even a passing Brazilian accent, though her character is supposed to have been raised there. Otherwise, the cast of characters are interesting, with Catherine Keener and Eric Lange giving great performances alongside Rosa. The story is the real star though. It's part creepy, part quirky. It also features a new contender for weirdest sex scene ever. Looking forward to finishing this tonight or tomorrow. Definitely worth a watch on Netflix.

Last edited:
watched biohackers (s1). started Santa Clarita Diet (yeah i know i'm late and it's cancelled).

been rewatching Parks & Recreation. Also some episodes of Still Game. never gets old. not sure if anyone outside Scotland bothers with it though lol

Brand New Cherry Flavor

Yooooooooooo! This is some crazy shit right here. Only halfway through the 8 episodes, and this is engrossing. Started it on a whim, because the trailer looked interesting. Then it pulled a Twin Peaks on me, and the next thing you know, it's 8am, and my gf and I have to force ourselves to bed. We would've marathoned the full thing if we'd started earlier. Young woman travels to LA to pitch her film, and gets caught up in a maze of sex, magic, and betrayal. I'm really enjoying this show. My only complaint might be that Rosa Salazar doesn't attempt even a passing Brazilian accent, though her character is supposed to have been raised there. Otherwise, the cast of characters are interesting, with Catherine Keener and Eric Lange giving great performances alongside Rosa. The story is the real star though. It's part creepy, part quirky. It also features a new contender for weirdest sex scene ever. Looking forward to finishing this tonight or tomorrow. Definitely worth a watch on Netflix.

got this on my list too will be watching it soon.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Just caught up with Into the Night season one and it was very entertaining. The plot of constantly being on the run using a plane reminded me of Stephen King's Langoliers which I always loved both as a book and as a miniseries. It's quite short (6 episodes x 35 min each), but that's good for someone with limited time to watch new shows. Season 2 is coming although I'm not sure if it's going to be equally entertaining with a vastly different setting.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Brand New Cherry Flavor

Will add it too my list.

I’m currently watching The Good Doctor, season 3, if you liked House MD you’d like this, it’s by the same creator and you get the occasional cast member turn up.

8fdd0039dacdd5a2ec1f04e539049691.gif

I’m also watching Goldbergs season 3, would also recommend, funny and no laugh track.
It’s based off a real family and is incredibly nostalgic.

images

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
XwKSzPy.jpg

Reservation Dogs

After watching a few episodes I think it's OK. It seems like the writers can't make up their minds about how light or dark they want the comedy to be. It's co-created by Taika Watiti so that's probably why - his sense of humor is a bit unconventional. It has small things he's known for such as having a character named "Elora Danan" - the name of the baby from the movie Willow - without ever explaining it (at least not yet). I'll keep watching, see where it goes.

M.W.

Re-watching HOUSE MD, love this shit but my god, 24 episodes per season is insane, can't believe they used to do that lol

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
9cKdH6A.jpg

Stumptown

I just started this tonight. The first episode starts out with a bang, then it slows down and gets a little too full with clichés, but then by the end is pretty hilarious with the situations the lead character keeps getting herself into. It's only two seasons / 18 episodes, being cancelled in March 2020 due to scheduling conflicts arising from COVID, so I'll add it to the list and work my way through.

Fbh

Into_the_Night_Serie_de_TV-883791696-large.jpg

Into the night.
Basically the sun suddenly begins to kill everyone and a group of people that happened to be on a plane try to stay away from it.
I've only watched 2 episodes, the premise is fun but the writing and acting are pretty terrible, everyone acts and talks like some caricature. But I'm a sucker for these types of premises and it's fun enough in a "turn off your brain and relax" kind of way.

brooklyn-nine-nine-season-8.jpg

Brooklyn 99 Season 8.
We can't talk politics anymore so I'll just say
Eye Rolling GIF by memecandy

Show had been going downhill for a while now, but I won't be watching the rest of the season.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
brooklyn-nine-nine-season-8.jpg

Brooklyn 99 Season 8.
We can't talk politics anymore so I'll just say
Eye Rolling GIF by memecandy

Show had been going downhill for a while now, but I won't be watching the rest of the season.

Now I need to check it out. I hope the episodes are dropping on Hulu and/or Peacock.

Watching Snowpierer on Netflix. Enjoying the hell out of it.

I just hate the main guy there, Layton. That actor fucking sucks.

MastaKiiLA

Watching Snowpierer on Netflix. Enjoying the hell out of it.

I just hate the main guy there, Layton. That actor fucking sucks.
Watch Blindspotting. Daveed Diggs stars in that, and I thought he was awesome in it. I like him in Snowpiercer too, but he's not the best actor in the cast. Not saying much when you have Jennifer Connelly (WTF is she looking so damn anorexic these days?) and Sean Bean as co-stars. I don't think Daveed has done any worse than Chris Evans in the film adaptation. Then again, that wasn't exactly peak Evans.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Ted Lasso, finishing new season available: I knew it was those two texting each other. Also Roy Kent is the man.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
E54Z3e1XEAA-UmP

The best show no one seems to be talking about. 10/10

drdeath-1.jpg

Fascinating and chilling true story that keeps you absolutely engaged until the very end. the actors and direction are great, but unfortunately I feel like it is unnecessarily fictionalized and I found the way they characterized Duntsch to be inconsistent and simplified. 7/10

fac4f3e6db29200fbb2c5ef9c7d849de.png

this show is just too american for me--bailed after a few episodes. I wonder what the brits think of it? although I've found that they are the only ones that tend to like this kind of cheesy american optimism and low hanging fruit jokes more than the Americans themselves,

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I’m currently watching The Good Doctor, season 3, if you liked House MD you’d like this, it’s by the same creator and you get the occasional cast member turn up.

8fdd0039dacdd5a2ec1f04e539049691.gif
Going to withdraw this recommendation, season 4 is a fucking disaster. The show especially ep 9 has gone full woke.

Top Bottom