• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows You've Watched Lately |OT| - 2021

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I forgot all about Tokyo Vice. I forgot to add it to my list and it disappeared from my feed. Rectified that problem. Got back into it today while I worked.

It gets really good starting with ep 3. It's funny how once you get down to it all criminal organizations are the same once you strip away the superficial cultural top layer. And I can't quite put my finger on it but there's things about Japanese society that I just don't get. It actually made me want to plan a trip to Japan even more.

Started beef tonight, it's now 2am and I really need to go to bed for work tomorrow but I couldn't stop watching. I've watched the first 7 episodes, what a great show

Last edited:

GeekyDad

It's very good, it's about people feeling empty, sad and broken and being so angry at another because they need to fill that void in their lives. Also pretty funny at some moments. Give it a try!
Well, like I said, I really like Yeun (and happy to see he's having further success), so sure, why not. ;)

As an aside, whew, man, Better Call Saul S4 ended pretty damned dark. Jimmy sure seemed like a dirtbag, but he was dark at the [end] of that last episode. Full-on Gollum mode.

And very sad to see where Michael ended up...

Last edited:

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Poker Face is pretty good. Murder-a-week mystery with an overarching plotline. I'm about halfway through the season, and would suggest it to pretty much anyone. It's compelling. Looking forward to finishing the season, and then season 2

I'm catching up on X-Files right now. I've seen a few episodes but most of them I haven't seen. I'm currently on season 6 and finished Dreamland and Dreamland part 2.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
People here talking about Beef here got me interested. Just finished the first episode. Definitely keeps you guessing where it's going.

I'm watching some old sitcoms, most specifically All in the Family and The Jeffersons.

Both are great shows and you could not even get away with what they say and do in those shows today. People would be screaming bloody murder.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Beef was good. It's one of those shows that uses every part of the buffalo. Things that seem random or unimportant end up directly impacting the plot.

Also, it was surprising to hear some of the song choices used as the episodes' closing tracks. A couple nu-metal-type tracks that were used unironically and a Smashing Pumpkins B-side, for example. Seemed like a show made for us getting-older Millennials.

GeekyDad

Saul S5E5

Pretty funny episode (or was it E4, watched 'em back-to-back), but man, I'm conflicted. I just have so much trouble getting onboard with this series, and I want to so much. Good characters, good writing (in spite of it hitting the ceiling of predictability), and great acting. But I just keep feeling like they are demanding I root for these piece-of-shit characters. Saul is a scumbag, his girlfriend is now taking offense to the fact her legal partner is trying to protect her against a major ethical violation she actually DID commit (not her first, either), and Mike is now a fucking murderer who is hurt and angry because his daughter-in-law politely and gently asked him to basically get his shit together before he resumes babysitting her daughter. Yet, the presentation is plain and obvious that I'm supposed to be on their side and empathize with their individual plights.

No, fuck you! Fuck all of you pieces of shit.

I'm okay with the idea of watching people do bad shit. It makes for interesting drama. But don't suggest I should root for them? Go fuck a watermelon, you pieces of shit.

/end of rant

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Monstrum (PBS US)

The world is full of monsters, myths, and legends and Monstrum isn’t afraid to take a closer look. The show, hosted by Emily Zarka, Ph.D. (in British Romantic Literature with an emphasis on the Gothic), takes us on a journey to discover a new monster for each new episode. Monstrum looks at humans unique drive to create and shape monster mythology through oral storytelling, literature and film.

The first season was rather overly brief, but I suppose it became popular and the following seasons are more expansive. It's cool. Watching it gives me some ideas for short stories.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Started Atlanta S04 and it was amazing again. Donald Glover is such a multi talented dude, going to grab his other new series too.

Finished White Lotus S02 and while it was nowhere near as good as S01 it was till worth a watch.

Almost done with Picard (final ep is next weekend?). Love the TNG throwback, not sure about the story yet.

Final series of Barry is also out this week, really enjoyed that series, can't wait to see how Barry ends up!

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Saul S5E5

Pretty funny episode (or was it E4, watched 'em back-to-back), but man, I'm conflicted. I just have so much trouble getting onboard with this series, and I want to so much. Good characters, good writing (in spite of it hitting the ceiling of predictability), and great acting. But I just keep feeling like they are demanding I root for these piece-of-shit characters. Saul is a scumbag, his girlfriend is now taking offense to the fact her legal partner is trying to protect her against a major ethical violation she actually DID commit (not her first, either), and Mike is now a fucking murderer who is hurt and angry because his daughter-in-law politely and gently asked him to basically get his shit together before he resumes babysitting her daughter. Yet, the presentation is plain and obvious that I'm supposed to be on their side and empathize with their individual plights.

No, fuck you! Fuck all of you pieces of shit.

I'm okay with the idea of watching people do bad shit. It makes for interesting drama. But don't suggest I should root for them? Go fuck a watermelon, you pieces of shit.

/end of rant
I felt the same way, and still really liked it. It's interesting to me to watch them, wanting them to be better. And to know they have it in them. And have them continually miss the mark.

sedg87

Banned
Still really liking Superman & Lois, they really nailed the casting with Tyler Hoechlin. Even the recast of the son works.

I loved Smallville and all the Arrowverse shows, yet I've never watched this! Gonna have to start it soon.

The X Files
I'm halfway into season 4. Still one of my absolute favourite shows. The whole alien arc is interesting, but it's in the monster of the week type episode where the show really shines.

Dural

Me and the wife just got done with Everwood season 1, I watched it in the early 2000s when it aired but she had never seen it. She loves it, wants to watch several episodes every night. The first season was seriously fantastic.

I've also been watching Chuck, such a fun show.

GeekyDad

I felt the same way, and still really liked it. It's interesting to me to watch them, wanting them to be better. And to know they have it in them. And have them continually miss the mark.
Same, I guess. I hate the two main characters -- Saul and Kim (I loved Kim at first, now I despise her for feeding on the same rotting soul fruit as Saul). But yeah, I can't stop watching this stupid show. As a matter of fact, now that I'm almost midway through the 6th season, I got to wondering if there was going to be more. But I guess I should be glad it'll be over.

All that being said, they did redeem the show in my eyes a fair amount with the short conversation where Huell asks Saul, basically, "why are you guys being such a$$holes when you have a good life?" At least the show is acknowledging the fact that they're acting like scumbags; I hope so, anyway. And if not, that's how I'm going to choose to see it. :D

Doom85

Fargo Season 1. Some of the best television I've watched, the acting and atmosphere is seriously top notch. Martin Freeman really shows out here.

Absolutely, and Billy Bob Thornton feels like a force of nature. The two main cops are really likable too (and also Bob Odenkirk is always great even if his character is frustratingly incompetent). Then there’s the two hitmen, and also Key and Peele, just a ton of memorable performances.

Still need to check out the rest of the series. I know most enjoy Season 2, but most don’t like 3, and then 4 seems to be considered still below 1 and 2 but a good deal above 3.

GeekyDad

Absolutely, and Billy Bob Thornton feels like a force of nature. The two main cops are really likable too (and also Bob Odenkirk is always great even if his character is frustratingly incompetent). Then there’s the two hitmen, and also Key and Peele, just a ton of memorable performances.

Still need to check out the rest of the series. I know most enjoy Season 2, but most don’t like 3, and then 4 seems to be considered still below 1 and 2 but a good deal above 3.
Wait, both of those actors are in the series of Fargo? Will have to check out, then.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
I'm seeing a lot of praise for Beef from viewers and critics. Watched the first two episodes last night and maybe I expected a good show but this ain't it. Everything about it just bad and dumb, with a few chuckles here and there.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Whoever recommended Star Wars Rebels, thanks. Three episodes in and this is far and away better than Clone Wars (which I couldn’t get into). Even the audio mixing is far superior, something I never pick up on.

Hugare

1gpr1P9.jpg

Binge watched Severance and DAMN, what a show!

It started slowly, but intriguing nonetheless. Then it picks up and ends on a very high note.

Never gave it a chance because it looked so inoffensive, boring, dont know. Decided to give it a watch and turned out to be one of the best shows that I've seen in years.

I highly recommend this one.

Also watched 6 episodes of Beef on the weekend. And I dont get the hype.

Tuned out to be exactly what I was expecting when I watched the trailer. Good performances, but very boring, imo.

Will finish watching it to see if it picks up

Last edited:

Fbh

Watched Beef on Netflix over the past week.
Really good overall though I do think it faltered a bit towards the end.

1gpr1P9.jpg

Binge watched Severance and DAMN, what a show!

It started slowly, but intriguing nonetheless. Then it picks up and ends on a very high note.

Never gave it a chance because it looked so inoffensive, boring, dont know. Decided to give it a watch and turned out to be one of the best shows that I've seen in years.

I highly recommend this one.

Also watched 6 episodes of Beef on the weekend. And I dont get the hype.

Tuned out to be exactly what I was expecting when I watched the trailer. Good performances, but very boring, imo.

Will finish watching it to see if it picks up

Best new show in ages.

The only problem is that like all these mystery based shows there's still a good chance they'll fuck it up. But at least so far it has been excellent.

GreenAlien

Weak Hero Class 1​

Not sure where to watch this legally yet, but if you do get the chance give it a go. It's another great kdrama.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Beef was really compelling. The ending episode was a little more artsy and philosophical than it needed to be. Came off like someone trying to make a grander point than was necessary. Like, I get it, we're all in this together, so we should be nice to each other. Five year olds know that. But it was fine. I'm glad I watched it.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
White House Plumbers (HBO Max)

An amusing satirical retelling of the events surrounding a few of the morons behind the Watergate Scandal. Woody Harrelson and Justin Theroux are good at sending up the buffoonery of the real life figures they're depicting.

It doesn't quite come together well, though, and the relentless dry humor doesn't always land. But, I'll stick around for the second episode.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Finished Beef shortly after it came out, enjoyed the whole thing. Finished Better Call Saul, and while I think the last few episodes were too cluttered with more last-minute scams I didn't care about, I think it ended very well. Tried Mrs. Davis and gave up at episode 3, the tone of the show is all over the place, just didn't work for me. Still watching and thoroughly enjoying the current seasons of Barry and Succession. Also watching the current Ted Lasso, but somehow I'm not enjoying it as much, it feels a bit unfocused and I find my mind wandering during certain storylines.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I started watching Tulsa King. The first episode is really good and Stallone really carries the show well and everyone around him. I am interested in how everything will unfold.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Also watching the current Ted Lasso, but somehow I'm not enjoying it as much, it feels a bit unfocused and I find my mind wandering during certain storylines.

This weeks episode about phone leaks and hacks was garbage. A locker room of guys talking about how they have to delete everything off their phone is the most unrealistic and stupid social commentary in a show in a long time.

Mossybrew

A locker room of guys talking about how they have to delete everything off their phone is the most unrealistic and stupid social commentary in a show in a long time.
Yeah that whole scene felt so off. Not just unrealistic but I felt the show was actively lecturing me, not a good look.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Yeah that whole scene felt so off. Not just unrealistic but I felt the show was actively lecturing me, not a good look.
It was apple lecturing you about how their security is not complete so it is on you if things are stolen from your phone. Apple victim blaming.

GeekyDad

Finished the third episode of Breaking Bad. I can negotiate this series, and at the end of this episode I think I know why. It rounds out its story mechanics with meaning. Something Better Call Saul just didn't do for me. It was meaningless.

/endofrandomgibberish

GeekyDad

Maybe that's the problem. You have to watch a few and when you get into the characters it's when the show shines.
Agreed. It's not the jokes. It's their idiosyncrasies, their personalities, and their history together as it culminates.

Of course, if you have to explain it, then I'd say you've kinda already missed the train. Best to wait for the next one instead running after this one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom