• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.
AMC will likely be irrelevant in five years. HBO is a smarter channel that understands that the writers, actors, creative heads, etc. are invaluable. Why do you think they constantly work with people like David Milch, Alan Ball, Ricky Gervais, Terrence Winter, etc.? They know that these people know exactly what they're doing and they give them carte blanche to do whatever they wish to do.

The problem with AMC is that it prides itself as some sort of quality, progressive network, but every time I watch one of their shows I think to myself, "This show would be better on HBO." That even goes for Mad Men and especially for shows like Rubicon and The Walking Dead.

HBO also has better business acumen. True Blood is an inferior so compared to Mad Men, but HBO makes a fucking killing of of True Blood DVD/Blu Ray, merchandising, etc. sales. It allows them to bank roll riskier projects. Would we have received shows like Game of Thrones if they picked Mad Men instead of True Blood? Unlikely. It was the right move.

Magnus

Watched BSG the whole way through for the fifth time, this time over the last 10 months with my roommate. He is a believer now, and somehow, the show becomes richer and more amazing to me with every rewatch, faults and all.

Love it to death, and I think it's now officially dethroned the almighty Buffy the Vampire Slayer as my favorite show.

I have too many greats that I've missed that I need to crack into next. Which will it be?

• The Walking Dead
• True Blood
• Arrested Development
• The Sopranos
• The Wire
• Breaking Bad

Alas. Decisions. First-world problems. Haha.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Magnus said:
Which will it be?

• The Walking Dead
• True Blood
• Arrested Development
• The Sopranos
• The Wire
• Breaking Bad

The Walking Dead. Not because it's the best, in fact, I think it's the worst out of those listed, but because season 2 is starting pretty soon. Catch up now, and you can be a part of the hype machine when it starts later this fall. Those are always fun! ^__^

True Blood and Breaking Bad are various levels of good, but they're each currently in the middle of season 4. You might as well wait until the current season ends, so you can just marathon through each series. That's what I would do. ;p

I haven't seen The Wire or The Sopranos yet, so I can't comment, but AD is one of the best comedies ever, so you really can't go wrong with it.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
I find arrested development very hit or miss, i didn't find it funny at all, yet a show like Its always sunny in Philadelphia has me in tears of laughter..

Magnus

RatskyWatsky said:
The Walking Dead. Not because it's the best, in fact, I think it's the worst out of those listed, but because season 2 is starting pretty soon. Catch up now, and you can be a part of the hype machine when it starts later this fall. Those are always fun! ^__^

True Blood and Breaking Bad are various levels of good, but they're each currently in the middle of season 4. You might as well wait until the current season ends, so you can just marathon through each series. That's what I would do. ;p

Solid advice on both counts. Thanks, and to everyone else as well!

Drewsky

I just got Season 6 of Supernatural. Starting to watch it now.

I really liked the first five seasons, but I felt like the last season finale would have been a pretty good place to end the show. Maybe I'll be proved wrong though.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Starting season six of the Shield. It's a little too on the nose at times, but it's a very fun show. Season 4 was the only so-so season, Anthony Anderson sucks, but Forest Whitaker's Cavenaugh (sp) gave the show a much needed shot in the arm. He's been awesome so far.

Drewsky

Snuggler said:
Starting season six of the Shield. It's a little too on the nose at times, but it's a very fun show. Season 4 was the only so-so season, Anthony Anderson sucks, but Forest Whitaker's Cavenaugh (sp) gave the show a much needed shot in the arm. He's been awesome so far.
S5 with Cavanaugh and S7 are the best of the show imo. The ending is spectacular.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Strike Back season 2 episode 4:

Pretty awesome.
I'm glad they're sticking to the two episode mini arcs. It makes for much more interesting stories; they're tighter, and it allows for more exciting stuff to happen.

A bit surprised that they had the balls to kill off Kate. I figured she would be featured into the rest of the season as a major character.

I'm also a little confused as to how/why they managed to find Connolly at the end. Looks like he was scared of his partners/bosses so he turned himself in? I'm also assuming that Eleanor was the one whose family was killed by Connolly when he "promised" not to kill them...right? I might have missed something there.

The one week break kinda threw the pacing of the arc out of whack, but the show recovered remarkably fast.

Anyway, this show is so much fun.

Loxley

I'm three episodes into the first season of Deadwood. While I love Timothy Olyphant in Justified, his acting style here sticks out like a sore thumb against everyone else around him. It's definitely not distracting to the point where it bothers me a whole lot, but he does seem like an odd choice for the role.

Does he end up blending in with the cast any better as the season(s) go on?

Oh, and
Ian McShane is goddamn intimidating as hell. I love it.

KingK

I just finished up Season 3 of Mad Men and started on Season 4 tonight. 3 episodes in so far and this is just so goddamn depressing.

Zeliard

Loxley said:
I'm three episodes into the first season of Deadwood. While I love Timothy Olyphant in Justified, his acting style here sticks out like a sore thumb against everyone else around him. It's definitely not distracting to the point where it bothers me a whole lot, but he does seem like an odd choice for the role.

Does he end up blending in with the cast any better as the season(s) go on?

Dunno, I thought he blended in just fine. His character in Deadwood is purposefully low-key, mainly to offer a strong contrast against the other main character played by Ian McShane, who is effectively the opposite of Seth Bullock in every conceivable way.

Olyphant has this really fun way of playing these inwardly seething characters, and I think it works especially well in Deadwood since he terrifies everyone else around him, including the antagonists.

TripOpt55

I just finished up Season 3 of Sons of Anarchy. The end was pretty crazy, but I liked it. I have the Season 4 opener on my DVR, so I will check it out once I get the chance.

X-Frame

Does anyone have or can recommend an app/widget for the Mac to keep track of TV show airings?

I hate clogging iCal with all that repeating stuff every week.

big ander

X-Frame said:
Does anyone have or can recommend an app/widget for the Mac to keep track of TV show airings?

I hate clogging iCal with all that repeating stuff every week.
We were discussing this in the Fall TV shows thread a bit, and some apps were posted but they are supposedly not good. But I am loving this site: http://followmy.tv/
Clean interface, easy to use, accurate. About all you need.

Soule

In the last month or so these are the shows I've gone out of my way to watch.

Breaking Bad
True Blood
The Borgias
Wilfred

Breaking Bad is probably the best of what I've been watching the last few weeks, I started from scratch after seeing the first episode of season 4 and my friends wouldn't stop talking about it. Figured I'd catch up and see what all the fuss was about. Gotta say really engaging show and interesting seeing how Walter changes the deeper in he gets, he's becoming quite unlikeable imo. About 6 episodes into season 4

True Blood, started from the very beginning as well. At first I was enjoying it but Sookie Stackhouse really annoys me. Midway through season 3 at the moment.

Watched the Borgias in all of like one night and was not all that impressed, wasn't bad so I watched it all but I'm already forgetting a lot of it so it didn't really make an impression. Don't know if I'll watch the second season when it comes

Wilfred is my current go-to show for just sitting and watching stupid shit. Too much drama makes this a nice contrast and I was a fan of the original series, not super great but it's nice to have something light hearted around. Nearly finished it onto last episode which I'll watch tonight

I'm gonna look at Boardwalk Empire and Friday Nigh Lights when I'm done with these.

Lima

Finished Grey's Anatomy S07 yesterday and cried like a little baby. Damn I love this show. I've been there ever since S01 aired.

The finale was a little disappointing compared to S06 but Meredith's speech at the end was really touching.

Magnus

Been sick with strep for 3 days. Nothing like a show marathon to distract from the pain and fastforward the days. I chose True Blood, and man, it's fun, if just plain terrible at times, haha.

Started Tuesday night and am already near the end of Season 2. Michelle Forbes <3

Hideo Kuze

Neo Member
I've watched quite a few series the last couple of months. I've watched all of The Wire, Generation Kill and Peep Show again, I'm still watching Breaking Bad, Treme, Carnivale and Curb Your Enthusiasm .
I'm also looking forward to the next seasons of Boardwalk Empire and The Walking Dead.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
cajunator said:
Oh that's cool. How well do they do the Cajun accent? Is it cringeworthy?

There's really only one character with a Cajun accent, and I think it's quite good. He sounds a bit like Gambit though.

Spartacus: Blood & Sand 1-4

Decided to finally watch the first season. Pilot is still pretty bad, and the 2nd episode is a wee bit better. The 3rd and 4th episodes are pretty good. The fake blood spatter is still corny as hell but the slo-mo shots aren't so bad now

I'll continue watching some episodes on Saturday and finish up the season on Sunday

VALIS

I watched an episode of MacGyver last night for the first time since... I don't know. He stopped a toxic leak with chocolate bars. He created a bomb out of sodium metal and a cold capsule. He defused a bomb with a safety pin (with 1 second left on the clock, of course!). He and this one scientist chick from the bombed underground lab MacG was rescuing people from kept flirting and smooching and didn't even stop after she took a bullet in the hip. He signaled to the people topside that he was still down below in the lab and not to shoot a missile at it by turning the power of the whole building on and off rapidly so as to send them a morse code message!!!!!!

It was the dumbest goddamn shit ever. Very fun.

Spartacus Blood and Sand 5-8

The show is really picking things up and it's getting better by each episode. I will say that the final sequence in the 8th episode really left me stunned.

Damn man, did they really have to cut off the slave's dick? Crucifying him should have been enough

cory.

Banned
lazybones18 said:

The show is really picking things up and it's getting better by each episode. I will say that the final sequence in the 8th episode really left me stunned.

Damn man, did they really have to cut off the slave's dick? Crucifying him should have been enough
It really does, can't say that about a lot of shows.

lazybones18 said:

Get ready to be mind blown for the final stretch of episodes. It only gets better.

Al-ibn Kermit

Yeah the first few episodes of spartacus were a little slow but then the plot gets progressively thicker and better, can't think of any current show with better twists/backstabbings.

I started to watch Supernatural. I saw the first two seasons when they came out, but I hardly remember anything from them. With the show entering its seventh season, I thought it was time to finally watch these babies. I'm five episodes in the first season, and I'm digging it. I remember it picking up as it progress though. Pretty excited to watch through the series.

...I really wish Netflix had instant streaming for this show. :-/

lazybones18 said:
Oh God, I almost forgot that. That was pretty uncool.

I watched the Mad Men pilot yesterday. I like how the show looks and sounds (great soundtrack) and the dialogue was very good too. Some scenes did make me a little uncomfortable because of their awkwardness. (the young guy who's getting married trying to be all best buds with Draper.. ungh) I should keep watching though, looks like some quality television.

Also, it was funny seeing the LA Noire guy as a real person.

Finished the first season of Justified

I love a good three way battle, and that series had a pretty awesome one of those. Will start season 2 as soon as I get the chance, because this was some pretty great TV if I do say so myself.

Spartacus Blood and Sand 9-12

Will watch episode 13 later tonight, but back to the episodes I just got done watching

Roman women are fucking crazy. Loyalties have been broken. More blood will be shed. I hope one character in particular finally bites the dust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom