• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV used to be more laid back

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
My wife and I have been watching a local station called Buzzr that plays old game shows. Our favorite show is Classic Concentration, a show from the 80s with Alex Trebek as the host.

There was this lady on the first episode we watched. A cute young mother. Alex kept touching her. He'd hold her around the waist, hold her hand, touch her shoulders. We were surprised. We legit thought he was like hitting on her. But we realized that is how he was with all the women on the show. It's just how he interacted.

Family Feud too. Richard Dawson would legit kiss every female contestant on the show, even in front of their husbands. It wasn't a big deal.

These days there would be a 1000 twitter think pieces on how inappropriate this was. How Dawson was abusing his power to take advantage of his female contestants. But no one seemed to mind. They were all just having fun and winning prizes.

My wife and I have been watching a local station called Buzzr that plays old game shows. Our favorite show is Classic Concentration, a show from the 80s with Alex Trebek as the host.

There was this lady on the first episode we watched. A cute young mother. Alex kept touching her. He'd hold her around the waist, hold her hand, touch her shoulders. We were surprised. We legit thought he was like hitting on her. But we realized that is how he was with all the women on the show. It's just how he interacted.

Family Feud too. Richard Dawson would legit kiss every female contestant on the show, even in front of their husbands. It wasn't a big deal.

These days there would be a 1000 twitter think pieces on how inappropriate this was. How Dawson was abusing his power to take advantage of his female contestants. But no one seemed to mind. They were all just having fun and winning prizes.
Biden was a game show host? Hot damn. Gotta dream cancel his og cancel.

cryptoadam

Banned
Yes we used to be able to touch people without being accused of wanting to turn them into cum dumpsters rape slaves. Humnan interaction was a thing we used to promote.

Just wait with the Rona in a few years the idea of being physical with someone will seem like the greatest crime on earth.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Yes! I love tv. I set up an antennae last year because they were showing Wonder Woman on MeTV. She’s off now but they have old Three Stooges and it rules too. On Saturdays they have a rad lineup with Svengoulie doing monster movies then og Star Trek and lots of other awesome shows. Family Feud with the guy kissing everyone is certainly from an older time. You would never see that today.

Over the air tv rules

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Yes we used to be able to touch people without being accused of wanting to turn them into cum dumpsters rape slaves. Humnan interaction was a thing we used to promote.

Just wait with the Rona in a few years the idea of being physical with someone will seem like the greatest crime on earth.
If you’ve ever read Asimov you’ll be familiar with the Spacers. That’s where we’re headed. We’ll end up a bunch of hermaphrodites never meeting another human.

This is what worries me most about Corona. Millennia old customs like the handshake are suddenly considered taboo.

The lack of necessity for interaction to be in person has left most kids under 25 utterly retarded when it comes to social interactions, reading expressions and body language, or how to express physical affection without it being seen as sexual in nature.

They're basically dumb to any form of communication not expressed verbally or in script form, which I also think extends to why fasion trends and a clear sense of individual, personal identity have effectively ceased to exist.

If you're not used to being a physical being, and aware of your place in the world and how your appearance and actions can effect others, then you're not going to have the skills and experience to either create new, experimental identities or be able to work out what existing identities you feel most comfortable in.

Davey Cakes

My agoraphobic mom went through a Buzzr phase. I would join her in watching all these game shows. She didn’t care for Supermarket Sweep or Match Game, but those were my favorites, along with Password.

The 70’s and 80’s were awesome. So loose, and just going with the flow.

Last edited:

MetalAlien

Banned
The 80s reined it in a little... the 70s now... it was a dangerous time to be a kid. It was like today except no one cared.

Last edited:

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I was thinking about how people on game shows used to seem like normal likable people. Now you have to act like a total buffoon to get on a game show.

Tv shows had to compete with other tv shows.

Now everyone has to compete with everyone else, and there's a lot of people that yell, shall we say.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
If you get a chance to go on a "Game show" (lol) bounce your ass there, I remember Slime Time Live, Legends of the Temple etc.
best-nickelodeon-game-shows-get-the-picture-1543524032.jpg

I loved these.

Top Bottom