• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV's Vs Monitors, and Why TV's Make Much More Sense for Next Gen Consoles

Bo_Hazem

Banned
For the more budget oriented shoppers I just picked up a 55" x75H Sony for $359 new. Stepping up from most monitors this TV is an eye opener. It is my mew PC / PS4 setup.

Well, for that kinda money, it's a good buy, especially you might experience 4K HDR for the first time?

EDIT: Input lag is actually pretty impressive!

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Another noob question: Whats the best TV size to get in your opinion for 4K next-gen gaming and to actually notice a difference in resolution between 1080p and 4K? Is 55" sufficient enough or would it be better to go bigger like 65" or even above 70" ? Or is 55" too big for gaming? Suppose this tv is only for gaming and not for movie/tv watching.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Another noob question: Whats the best TV size to get in your opinion for 4K next-gen gaming and to actually notice a difference in resolution between 1080p and 4K? Is 55" sufficient enough or would it be better to go bigger like 65" or even above 70" ? Or is 55" too big for gaming? Suppose this tv is only for gaming and not for movie/tv watching.

All are good, it depends on you actually. Some went even to 85". Even with smaller sets the jump is pretty much big from 1080p to 4K.

iQuasarLV

Well, for that kinda money, it's a good buy, especially you might experience 4K HDR for the first time?

EDIT: Input lag is actually pretty impressive!

Yea. I am not what you would consider well off, but at least my bills are current. I buy what I can afford and usually that puts me right out of contention of any meaningful purchase (looking at your PC GPU's).

It was one of those Storage Wars type of purchase but with cargo containers that get damaged when they ship across the ocean. Box was shredded but the TV was pristine. Sometimes Offer Up delivers =D

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yea. I am not what you would consider well off, but at least my bills are current. I buy what I can afford and usually that puts me right out of contention of any meaningful purchase (looking at your PC GPU's).

It was one of those Storage Wars type of purchase but with cargo containers that get damaged when they ship across the ocean. Box was shredded but the TV was pristine. Sometimes Offer Up delivers =D

It's a very solid buy, and HDMI 2.1 isn't a necessity for the vast majority of gamers. I'm more than sure you'll be happy with it.

Reactions: MrS

Rac3r

I have a X950H 49" (don't have much space in my apartment). Is it worth exchanging it for a X900H to get VRR, while also sacrificing a bit of picture quality? I could probably squeeze a 55" into my viewing area but I need someone to convince me that 4k@120fps and VRR (X900H) is worth it over better picture quality/HDR (X950H).

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I have a X950H 49" (don't have much space in my apartment). Is it worth exchanging it for a X900H to get VRR, while also sacrificing a bit of picture quality? I could probably squeeze a 55" into my viewing area but I need someone to convince me that 4k@120fps and VRR (X900H) is worth it over better picture quality/HDR (X950H).

I personally would go for X900H, but not sure I would care much about 4K@120Hz, VRR. It depends on your preferences, and maybe wait and see them tested with PS5?

Last edited:

Anki

Banned
Anybody has sony x900f tv to share the experience. I am aware of better model x900h but cannot afford that one. Currently i am using 1080p tv.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Anybody has sony x900f tv to share the experience. I am aware of better model x900h but cannot afford that one. Currently i am using 1080p tv.

Simple questions: Do you care much about 4K@120Hz (refresh rate more than fps) that should improve input lag? Do you use an eARC receiver? If not, you'll be more than happy with it.

Input is good, not in between the best, but good enough at 24.1ms for 4K@60Hz HDR:

Vs X900H:

Kuranghi

Simple questions: Do you care much about 4K@120Hz (refresh rate more than fps) that should improve input lag? Do you use an eARC receiver? If not, you'll be more than happy with it.

Input is good, not in between the best, but good enough at 24.1ms for 4K@60Hz HDR:

Vs X900H:

Bo said most of what needs to be said but if you don't care about eARC and HDMI 2.1, then the main thing is the X900F has much better image quality than X900H, because the processing is better and it has 50% more dimming zones for less blooming around bright objects against dark backgrounds. Plus, Its much cheaper as you know and It will get the Android (Thats the OS it runs) update with the new menus and updated UI this year even though its from 2018.

Source: my flatmate currently has it and I've sold dozens of X900Fs and have seen it handle lots of difference content.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Bo said most of what needs to be said but if you don't care about eARS and HDMI 2.1, then the main thing is the X900F has much better image quality than X900H, because the processing is better and it has 50% more dimming zones for less blooming around bright objects against dark backgrounds. Plus, Its much cheaper as you know and It will get the Android (Thats the OS it runs) update with the new menus and updated UI this year even though its from 2018.

Man, my 2016 has the new UI as well, and gets updates regularly since 2016! That's why I'll never buy any tv that's not Sony after experiencing such a wonderful support. Last update was few weeks back, and before it was August. And yes X900F seems to have better image quality, but at the cost of slower input lag.

Kuranghi

Man, my 2016 has the new UI as well, and gets updates regularly since 2016! That's why I'll never buy any tv that's not Sony after experiencing such a wonderful support. Last update was few weeks back, and before it was August. And yes X900F seems to have better image quality, but at the cost of slower input lag.

I mean a newer update even than the Android "rectangles" turning into "circles", its the UI you've seen Vinny show on some of the 2019 and 2020 models. Pretty sweet although I'm not sure my ZD9 will get it since its not listed on the compatible models even though your XD70 is.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I mean a newer update even than the Android "rectangles" turning into "circles", its the UI you've seen Vinny show on some of the 2019 and 2020 models. Pretty sweet although I'm not sure my ZD9 will get it since its not listed on the compatible models even though your XD70 is.

Maybe because mine has X1 processor, just like 2020 X900H? Yours is an 8K, yes?

Actually some of the updates overhauled my tv and made it into the newer version, and speed have improved a lot along the journey. My 2015 LG LCD 4K stopped updating in late 2016 or early 2017, not gonna get an LG again, personally. Not sure about Samsungs, I wanna hear more about their support/update longevity.

Kuranghi

Maybe because mine has X1 processor, just like 2020 X900H? Yours is an 8K, yes?

Actually some of the updates overhauled my tv and made it into the newer version, and speed have improved a lot along the journey. My 2015 LG LCD 4K stopped updating in late 2016 or early 2017, not gonna get an LG again, personally. Not sure about Samsungs, I wanna hear more about their support/update longevity.

No mine is 4K, its the 2016 flagship model. My 65" ZD9 has ~646 independently controlled dimming zones. Way more than the 75" ZH8 (2020 8K model, smallest size), which has 320 zones and even the 85" ZG9 (The 2019 8K model, smallest size) that has 720 zones, has more blooming apparently, partly because its 20" bigger than my ZD9 but mostly because it controls the zones in groups rather than individually.

So its great for my ego that my TV is still the best in that regard but shit for progress of LCD TVs imo. The 75" ZD9 has ~848 zones and the 100" ZD9 reportedly has ~1536 zones, which is insane. So I could still get a nice upgrade if I can save up ~£50,000 for the 100" lol. The 75" can be had for £2,500 on ebay but I like my super high response time that gives smooth af motion in 24/30hz content.

Its the first X1 Extreme set. I'm pretty sure the old X1 is better than the 2020 models with X1. They made changes to the HW in the X900H that means its not as good as the previous chipset they also called "X1". Thats why I keep trying to get people to buy the X900F/X950G if they don't care about HDMI 2.1 or wait until 2021 models if they really need it.

ZywyPL

Banned

Don't look at it like that, that's a common misconception to go by the resolution/PPI, which may easily lead you into buying too large screen, where the TV is not in front of you but sort of around you, and you are simply not able to gather information from the whole screen, which is especially important in videogames given all the HUD elements are in the corners. Always look what will fit to your room, resolution doesn't matter, if 55" FullHD TV is already too big then going for 65" 4K one won't change that, it'll only make it worse.

We had a 55” Samsung 1080p LED in the very same spot that we have our current 65” LG CX. So, same viewing distance from the screen (7-8ft), lighting conditions, etc. Without a doubt, apart from the obvious image quality improvements the bigger dimension screen has provided an enhanced experience, both for gaming and movie watching. I know the costs for going bigger can’t easily be discounted, but still, I’d strongly encourage to go bigger than 55”.

Exoil

I just bought a XH9077 (a grey XH90) for 9990SEK, that's something like $1150, and it's the lowest I've seen this TV so far.
I'm looking forward to pick it up tomorrow and see what all the fuzz is about! My old KDL805A have been good to me these last 7 years but it's time for something new now when the new consoles are coming!

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

What about PS5? Yay or nay?
I think Sony will...

rx88qEH.jpg

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
No it's not!

😆😆😆😆

It is, OLED>LCD, solely because of the fact that when you turn on the game mode, all the picture processing is turned off to minimize the input-lag, and this is where the decades old LCD tech shows its age and disadvantages, whereas OLED's perfect blacks, infinite contrast, color reproduction, viewing angles etc. remain untouched.

Not to mention full array of HDMI 2.1 ports, support for VRR, Freesync and G-Sync, so any variable refresh tech out there, plus HGIG mode that might be useful in the upcoming generation, LG really nailed it when it comes down to gaming-oriented TV sets.

Last edited:

Vindicator

Ordered myself a 55" X900H, should be a step up over my 9 yrs old LG, its picture looks so pale even compared to the UW Samsung monitor next to it.
Gonna hook up the Pro + PC before the PS5 arrives, then it's time for Godfall + DeS - can't wait for some nice HDR after ignoring it so long.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Ordered myself a 55" X900H, should be a step up over my 9 yrs old LG, its picture looks so pale even compared to the UW Samsung monitor next to it.
Gonna hook up the Pro + PC before the PS5 arrives, then it's time for Godfall + DeS - can't wait for some nice HDR after ignoring it so long.

Welcome to the family!

I just bought a XH9077 (a grey XH90) for 9990SEK, that's something like $1150, and it's the lowest I've seen this TV so far.
I'm looking forward to pick it up tomorrow and see what all the fuzz is about! My old KDL805A have been good to me these last 7 years but it's time for something new now when the new consoles are coming!

Congrats! What size?

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

S0ULZB0URNE

It is, OLED>LCD, solely because of the fact that when you turn on the game mode, all the picture processing is turned off to minimize the input-lag, and this is where the decades old LCD tech shows its age and disadvantages, whereas OLED's perfect blacks, infinite contrast, color reproduction, viewing angles etc. remain untouched.

Not to mention full array of HDMI 2.1 ports, support for VRR, Freesync and G-Sync, so any variable refresh tech out there, plus HGIG mode that might be useful in the upcoming generation, LG really nailed it when it comes down to gaming-oriented TV sets.
Not with Sony tv's

Exoil

Congrats! What size?

A 55", that's the only size I can fit on down in my gaming room. I built a 130cm wide box on the wall and put shelves on both sides of it where I have all the consoles and that measurement means I can't go bigger than 55".

I only had a hour to try it out earlier today but from a first impression it was okay. I guess I need to try lut some settings tomorrow!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
A 55", that's the only size I can fit on down in my gaming room. I built a 130cm wide box on the wall and put shelves on both sides of it where I have all the consoles and that measurement means I can't go bigger than 55".

I only had a hour to try it out earlier today but from a first impression it was okay. I guess I need to try lut some settings tomorrow!

Checkout youtube or watch videos here to get the best settings. :messenger_ok:

makaveli60

Don't judge me, just please help.
Just including this info if it helps in answering: I have a Sony XG90 that has 4 hdmi ports, 2 of which can be also in enhanced mode.
I know resolution, framerate and HDR, etc. are all connected to the bandwidth of the hdmi cable and the ports of the devices.
Is there a sure way to force 4k 30 fps and also have HDR at the same time on e.g. a PS5 (or anything else, this is not the important part)? So the point is that I want 4k with HDR but only at 30 fps and want to avoid 60 fps totally. I thought maybe if I will use an hdmi 1.4 cable that has lower bandwidth will let me do this? Or that will also exclude HDR?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Just including this info if it helps in answering: I have a Sony XG90 that has 4 hdmi ports, 2 of which can be also in enhanced mode.
I know resolution, framerate and HDR, etc. are all connected to the bandwidth of the hdmi cable and the ports of the devices.
Is there a sure way to force 4k 30 fps and also have HDR at the same time on e.g. a PS5 (or anything else, this is not the important part)? So the point is that I want 4k with HDR but only at 30 fps and want to avoid 60 fps totally. I thought maybe if I will use an hdmi 1.4 cable that has lower bandwidth will let me do this? Or that will also exclude HDR?

Mate, you'll add double the input lag, and no you can't, and don't need to. Do you have a problem with 60fps?

Kuranghi

It wouldn't work like that unfortunately, even 1.4 would carry a 4K60 + HDR signal if its "high speed" branded. I think the only way to do what you want (drop half the frames on a 60hz signal to effectively give you 30fps) is with expensive HW that goes inbetween the PS5 and the TV and modifies the signal - hundreds or thousands of £/$ likely.

The only way to do what you want without spending tons is on PC... but then you gotta buy a (maybe) expensive PC lol

You should look into it though, because if you like 30 over 60, then maybe 24 would look even better to you. Which would mean you could run games at higher settings + much higher resolution more with less spent on a GPU. I'd say if you get an RTX 3070 ($499) you could do 4K24 + max settings in every game for YEARS. Maybe even 6/8K downsampling in games (the engine downsamples it to 4K automatically) at 24 fps. Would be sweet.

Top Bottom