• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tweaktown: Rumor: NVIDIA Could Tease Next-Gen 7nm Ampere GPU At GTC 2019

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/65178/nvidia-tease-next-gen-ampere-gpu-7nm-gtc-19/index.html

No idea, how reliable this is, but I have to admit that Ampere looks like it could be everything Turing wasn't and that could be the architecture that brings Ray Tracing into a more playable state.

Navi really needs to be a hit and so far it's not looking good.

Although, AMD might be taking a much smarter approach with Navi and trying to force expectations to be low so that they can exceed them for once.

Shai-Tan

Banned
seems like speculation with no evidence beyond the fact that they will at some point talk about 7nm this year?

ethomaz

Banned
Well I expect nVidia to launch refreshed GPUs this year like usual.

If it is 7nm or not is another question.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Well I expect nVidia to launch refreshed GPUs this year like usual.

If it is 7nm or not is another question.
Aside from Kepler powering the 600 and 700 series GPUS, I don't recall nvidia being known for launching refreshed GPUs. Maxwell, powered the 900 series and Pascal powered the 1000 series.

ethomaz

Banned
Aside from Kepler powering the 600 and 700 series GPUS, I don't recall nvidia being known for launching refreshed GPUs. Maxwell, powered the 900 series and Pascal powered the 1000 series.
Refreshed I mean more like not big changes in the arch with improvements... you can call it Pascal.

I believe we will have a refresh this year for Turing... not sure if 7nm or not.

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
Considering they just launched cards on 12nm last year it doesn't fit the normal pattern. The way the article is written they make it seem like Navi will be a dud so the logic in the article is a bit self defeating. It probably would be at best a marketing battle with soft launches projected into the future with nothing significant launching until next year, as expected.

edit: and intermediate years is usually "ti" cards on the same process that are binned versions of higher cards with defects rebranded e.g. we could suppose 2080 could have a 2070 ti version

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Refreshed I mean more like not big changes in the arch with improvements... you can call it Pascal.

I believe we will have a refresh this year for Turing... not sure if 7nm or not.
With the release of the 2080 ti at the same time as the 2080 and 2070, nvidia gave themselves no room for improvement. I suppose they could release a super 2080 Ti or a 2070 Ti like some suggested.

Ellery

The only thing I could see happening this year is cards in the 2070 to 2080 Ti performance range on 7nm without RT cores, but the more I think about it and how Nvidia operates I think it is unlikely that we will see any new big Nvidia GPU this year. Maybe late late late 2019 we will see something.
The RTX 2080 and 2080 Ti are still the strongest cards on the market and I doubt AMD is going to be able to overtake those with the Navi cards coming this year. I would guess AMD is going to make midrange Navi 7nm cards to challenge the 1660/1660Ti/2060 and 2070 and replacing their 570/580/590/Vega56+64 cards.
So Nvidia actually has a strong lineup (not from my perspective because I think the 2070/2080/2080Ti are way too expensive and 2060 and lower don't have enough VRAM -> so you have to upgrade again soon. That is what Nvidia is best at. Knowing when you upgrade next before you do) with a wide performance range going from 1660 all the way up to 2080 Ti. They are basically set. Maybe the 350-500$ range is not that great for Nvidia right now. I think the Vega 56+64 on sale are a better buy there. If Nvidia corrected prices for the 2070 2080 and 2080 Ti down a bit the cards would be much more attractive. For me there is no reason why the RTX 2080 costs as much as a 2 year old GTX 1080 Ti. I probably would even prefer a 1080 Ti over the RTX 2080 because more VRAM which helps me in the long run, but that would be a very close call because the RTX 2080 has benefits aswell.

What nvidia is doing next is actually what I am wondering a lot about. I mean we have Zen2 and Navi lined up for 2019, but Nvidia is really hard to say. I guess I will just have to wait and I don't expect to see anything amazing until maybe Q4 2019.

(Still a part of me is hoping that Nvidia is discontinuing the RTX 2060 and up as fast as possible and releasing strong 7nm cards or adding additional products to the 16XX line that are higher up, but the chances are extremely small imho)

ethomaz

Banned
With the release of the 2080 ti at the same time as the 2080 and 2070, nvidia gave themselves no room for improvement. I suppose they could release a super 2080 Ti or a 2070 Ti like some suggested.
Err a refresh uses a new name model.

RTX 2090?

They will for sure announce/release something this year.

Last edited:

Leonidas

They will for sure announce/release something this year.

That's already a true statement. RTX 2060, GTX 1660 Ti, GTX 1660.

Turing hasn't even reached the x50 segment yet so GTX xx50 seems very likely as well.

Last edited:

Xyphie

I don't think they are in any hurry to release anything 7nm in 2019 for gamers. I think they'll be able to be competitive against Navi 10 with TU116/TU106-based cards in terms of power consumption, price, performance. 2060 is $350 right now, if they release a 2060 Ti (2048-2304 cores, 6GB VRAM) for $300 that should be good enough. 1660/1660 Ti pricing can be price shifted around to be competitive with whatever the RX 670 ends up being.

thelastword

Banned
That article reads more like a wish than a rumor...The author invalidates AMD, says Navi will be crap and he pegs Intel vs Nvidia in the future, but he cautions, that Intel won't outdo Nvidia in it's first round, so "AMPERE" will be superior.....What is this? "a marketing piece"......?

We've already been told that AMD is going for the high end with Navi, and that piece came directly from David Wang.... Yet, just as the press were wrong on a 7nm Vega not happening....They're wrong on Navi only catering to mid-tier GPU's at much lower power footprints....Turing just launched and people are already asking to look forward to the next thing from Nvidia? So what with all the fellating the media did on RTX and DLSS, gamers should just forget about that and the money the splooged and wait for Ampere now......Yes, this article does not read like a rumor at all, just marketing for NV...

Wait for the other thing "it just works, No, it really does this time".....

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
That article reads more like a wish than a rumor...The author invalidates AMD, says Navi will be crap and he pegs Intel vs Nvidia in the future, but he cautions, that Intel won't outdo Nvidia in it's first round, so "AMPERE" will be superior.....What is this? "a marketing piece"......?

We've already been told that AMD is going for the high end with Navi, and that piece came directly from David Wang.... Yet, just as the press were wrong on a 7nm Vega not happening....They're wrong on Navi only catering to mid-tier GPU's at much lower power footprints....Turing just launched and people are already asking to look forward to the next thing from Nvidia? So what with all the fellating the media did on RTX and DLSS, gamers should just forget about that and the money the splooged and wait for Ampere now......Yes, this article does not read like a rumor at all, just marketing for NV...

Wait for the other thing "it just works, No, it really does this time".....
Yeah, it does seem a but biased, but who knows. Given how poorly Turing has sold nvidia definitely wants to allow that product room to breath.

Top Bottom